Other
View Results (76 votes)

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Dec 21 2014, 1:14am

Post #26 of 36 (1136 views)
Shortcut
Why not? [In reply to] Can't Post

On first reading LOTR, I distinctly remember my six year-old self bursting into tears and not wanting to finish the book because I thought Pippin had died at the Black Gate. Since one doesn't know at the time, the emotional reaction is unaffected.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 21 2014, 1:48am

Post #27 of 36 (1139 views)
Shortcut
you read LOTR when you were six? [In reply to] Can't Post

That puts my 18-year-old self to shame! (I did believe that Gandalf died in Moria but I don't remember what I thought of Pippin's 'goodbye'.)

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Dec 21 2014, 11:58pm

Post #28 of 36 (1121 views)
Shortcut
My favourite book as a kid. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not quite sure why I was convinced Pippin was dead but I remember assuming that and being most upset about it!

batik
Tol Eressea

Dec 22 2014, 12:37am

Post #29 of 36 (1099 views)
Shortcut
voted Boromir but... [In reply to] Can't Post

now that I think of the reaction of the Fellowship after Gandalf's fall--that's a really hard call! Theoden's death would be a close 2nd (or 3rd).

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 22 2014, 2:37am

Post #30 of 36 (1102 views)
Shortcut
Again, I can't pick just one :} [In reply to] Can't Post

Boromir

Thorin

Theoden

Each of their deaths were brave and couched in redemption... a fullfillment of the best of who they are. They're also very profound because of the people they were with. People who believed in them in spite of any failures. Aragorn, Bilbo and Eowyn sincerely and deeply mourn the loss. I get teary just writing about them here.

I know your face...

Longbottom Leaf
Lorien

Dec 23 2014, 1:42am

Post #31 of 36 (1085 views)
Shortcut
The first time I read FOTR.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd have to say Gandalf although I was almost certain that I hadn't heard the last of him.

As far as the movies are concerned I already knew who was going to die and that Gandalf was coming back so I'll say Boromir. His scenes were some of my favorites in the whole trilogy.

CuriousG
Half-elven

Dec 25 2014, 1:32am

Post #32 of 36 (1092 views)
Shortcut
I thought Frodo died at Cirith Ungol [In reply to] Can't Post

and seriously considered stopping the books right there. So glad I muddled on!

Dwarewien
Rohan

Dec 27 2014, 11:29pm

Post #33 of 36 (1073 views)
Shortcut
Thorin's... [In reply to] Can't Post

as I expected. It hit me even harder the second time, since I couldn't seem to stop crying. I started to get a little misty eyed with Kili's, but Thorin's nearly killed me (emotionally speaking). I was even crying on the way home. Luckily, I walk everywhere and it was dark outside (and in the theater, and I didn't really mind that I was the only one in the theater crying my eyes out. It's how the scene affected me, not anyone else). I think I went to BoFA too soon after I originally saw it, so I wasn't as recovered from the initial shock of the first time (I should have stuck with the original plan and waited until New Year's Day to go a second time, but I will be doing this for the third time).Unsure

The only time I got a little misty eyed when reading the books is when Shelob first captured Frodo in LotR, none of the others bothered me that much (though they will now, since I'll be picturing the latest movie versions).

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Jan 6 2015, 3:06pm

Post #34 of 36 (1046 views)
Shortcut
I voted "Other" because (movie-verse) [In reply to] Can't Post

in BOFA the camera pans over a random Laketown lady who had no weapons, no training, and no real chance. Yes I cried when Fili & Kili died, in fact I hated "The Hobbit" book because of their senseless deaths, but to be honest the Laketown Lady's death was also pretty senseless, and I was not expecting it like I was the other two. As for LoTR, it's been so many years since I've read it that I can't recall, in fact when I first saw FOTR I couldn't even remember half of the characters. So I could only comment on the movie deaths, and those have been covered pretty well.

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Jan 6 2015, 3:15pm

Post #35 of 36 (1073 views)
Shortcut
I'm voting Other because (book-verse) [In reply to] Can't Post

my 11-year-old self was inordinately fond of Fili and Kili, and when they died in TH I was furious. It added to my dislike of the book and I didn't pick it up for another ten years or so. (Fortunately, LOTR did not insult me, so I read that many, many times. Smile)

Lindarielwen
Bree

Feb 3 2015, 8:17pm

Post #36 of 36 (1030 views)
Shortcut
I cry and cry and cry over Boromir's death...I can't STAND it! [In reply to] Can't Post

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.