Fili And Kili's death
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Aranarth
The Shire

Dec 21 2014, 11:18pm

Post #1 of 28 (1556 views)
Shortcut
Fili And Kili's death Can't Post

I believe that that Fili and Kili's death was not as good as they deserved. The way they die in the book ( Fighting to the death over Thorin's body) was much better than their movie death. Other than that, the movie was great!

(This post was edited by Aranarth on Dec 21 2014, 11:20pm)

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Dec 21 2014, 11:42pm

Post #2 of 28 (957 views)
Shortcut
We have scant details on the circumstances [In reply to] Can't Post

Of their death in the text, other than defending Thorin, which is, after all, what they were doing on Ravenhill.

On the plus side, their deaths weren't off screen and narrated after the fact in a single line. I don't think that would have worked particularly well.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Dec 21 2014, 11:45pm

Post #3 of 28 (941 views)
Shortcut
The more I think about it [In reply to] Can't Post

The more I feel that Fili's death was heroic (and heartbreaking).

painjoiker
Grey Havens

Dec 21 2014, 11:49pm

Post #4 of 28 (930 views)
Shortcut
I felt the most during Fili's death actually! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not really sure why, but I did

Vocalist of the progressive doom rock band Mater Thallium.

gkgyver
Bree

Dec 22 2014, 12:09am

Post #5 of 28 (912 views)
Shortcut
Simple reason [In reply to] Can't Post

And another reason why film and book are two pairs of shoes. Their deaths were told in retrospect, and it works emotionally in a book.
On film, the climax belongs to the main hero, and that is Thorin. Having Fili and Kili fight over his body doesn't make sense in the film, the climax doesn't belong to them.

FrostyLemon
The Shire

Dec 22 2014, 12:22am

Post #6 of 28 (850 views)
Shortcut
Finally! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm glad someone pointed this out. Jackson gets criticised for everything and it's like people completely forget that Tolkien can be just as flippant and sometimes even more so!

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Dec 22 2014, 1:14am

Post #7 of 28 (782 views)
Shortcut
Exactly [In reply to] Can't Post

In the book it was just a mention. Almost an afterthought. At least here we saw the deaths and aftermath fully realized.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Dec 22 2014, 1:25am

Post #8 of 28 (776 views)
Shortcut
On the other hand [In reply to] Can't Post

there's no reason, in terms of drama, why Fili and Kili couldn't have died directly defending a living Thorin. Thorin could then still have a climax fitting the King Under the Mountain!

“Tollers,” Lewis said to Tolkien, “there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves.”

Azaghâl
Lorien

Dec 22 2014, 1:28am

Post #9 of 28 (764 views)
Shortcut
Even though it's just an afterthought it still describes theirdeaths very well [In reply to] Can't Post

When I read it there is not doubt in my mind how it went down, and the way they died was more fitting than in the movie.

*Baruk khazâd! Khazâd ai-męnu!*

CathrineB
Rohan

Dec 22 2014, 1:28am

Post #10 of 28 (799 views)
Shortcut
Actually [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't believe I am saying this, but I kind of "liked" Fili's death. I mean, I love Fili (and Kili) so technically it hurts like a mother to watch, but story wise it was pretty damn well done. A bit hurried though.

I mean, they clearly wanted shock to be the main factor here, not snot and tears. It's brutal and terrible to see him murdered like that. Clearly having been beaten before we see him again (he's got blood on him before getting stabbed).

Kili's however was meant to be the tearjerker and I was surprised how that did not work. They cut Fili's death a bit too short, but Kili's too dragged out. I mean is it necessary to see them stare at each other for that long??

(This post was edited by CathrineB on Dec 22 2014, 1:30am)

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Dec 22 2014, 1:33am

Post #11 of 28 (775 views)
Shortcut
So did I [In reply to] Can't Post

There was absolute closure to me. It was fitting and well done.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

marillaraina
Rohan

Dec 22 2014, 1:36am

Post #12 of 28 (773 views)
Shortcut
subject [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I can't believe I am saying this, but I kind of "liked" Fili's death. I mean, I love Fili (and Kili) so technically it hurts like a mother to watch, but story wise it was pretty damn well done. A bit hurried though.

I mean, they clearly wanted shock to be the main factor here, not snot and tears. It's brutal and terrible to see him murdered like that. Clearly having been beaten before we see him again (he's got blood on him before getting stabbed).

Kili's however was meant to be the tearjerker and I was surprised how that did not work. They cut Fili's death a bit too short, but Kili's too dragged out. I mean is it necessary to see them stare at each other for that long??

Actually I really think they wanted to insure that Thorin's death was THE tearjerker and that's why they wanted to completely separate Fili and Kili's death's from it. Fili and Kili's deaths are sad and cruel, though heroic, in both cases. But they really wanted to make sure there wasn't anything diluting or interfering with the impact of Thorin's death.

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Dec 22 2014, 1:53am

Post #13 of 28 (810 views)
Shortcut
Fili and Kili's deaths enhance the tragedy of Thorin's death [In reply to] Can't Post

especially with the previous movies' emphasis on the continuation of the line of Durin. Thorin's choices affect not only the Elves, Dwarves, and Men (and the bad guys, of course), but also his own beloved sister-sons, not just himself.

I don't really think that the idea was to highlight Thorin's death as THE tearjerker, or else Tauriel's presence and her grief over Kili's death would have been totally unnecessary.

“Tollers,” Lewis said to Tolkien, “there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves.”

Bladerunner
Gondor

Dec 22 2014, 2:00am

Post #14 of 28 (769 views)
Shortcut
I disliked that... [In reply to] Can't Post

...the film shows Tauriel mourning over Kili almost immediately after Bilbo is shown grieving over Thorin.

The Kili/Tauriel thing was such a clumsy distraction and interfered with so many other parts of the story during the last two films - in my opinion of course.

In Reply To
And another reason why film and book are two pairs of shoes. Their deaths were told in retrospect, and it works emotionally in a book.
On film, the climax belongs to the main hero, and that is Thorin. Having Fili and Kili fight over his body doesn't make sense in the film, the climax doesn't belong to them.

marillaraina
Rohan

Dec 22 2014, 2:18am

Post #15 of 28 (767 views)
Shortcut
subject [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
especially with the previous movies' emphasis on the continuation of the line of Durin. Thorin's choices affect not only the Elves, Dwarves, and Men (and the bad guys, of course), but also his own beloved sister-sons, not just himself.

I don't really think that the idea was to highlight Thorin's death as THE tearjerker, or else Tauriel's presence and her grief over Kili's death would have been totally unnecessary.

In order to enhance it can't overshadow or dilute. Their death's do enhance his tragedy, by being smaller stepping stones leading up to it, not equal to it. They were never meant to be, within the film.

Tauriel's grief scene with Kili was to start winding down the story after the big scene with Thorin, the start of the leave takings - it brings the three main elves together, it allows some real personal insight into Thranduil(even if we see him at an EE funeral that will be "offical"), through his sympathy with her and how the battle has affected him, and sends Legolas off to where we find him in LOTR.

(This post was edited by marillaraina on Dec 22 2014, 2:20am)

DisDwarfWoman
Rivendell

Dec 22 2014, 2:33am

Post #16 of 28 (749 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

Fili's death was so well done and (imo) heartbreaking. At least Thorin and Kili get to die fighting, so I guess it was a bit less upsetting if that makes sense.

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Dec 22 2014, 4:28am

Post #17 of 28 (737 views)
Shortcut
Fili's death [In reply to] Can't Post

I've seen the film three times now, and I still get a sinking feeling in my stomach every time I hear the drums in that scene that lead up to his death. The more I see it the more I think it's one of the most well done scenes in the trilogy.

DisDwarfWoman
Rivendell

Dec 22 2014, 5:18am

Post #18 of 28 (682 views)
Shortcut
yes [In reply to] Can't Post

I think the first time I was just in shock (I avoided spoilers), because it was definitely harder to watch the second time when I knew what was going to happen and had had time to think about it.

sinking feeling in my stomach

describes it perfectly Frown

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Dec 22 2014, 7:27am

Post #19 of 28 (625 views)
Shortcut
Exactly. Totally correct points. // [In reply to] Can't Post

'Is everything sad going to come untrue?'
(Sam, 'The Field of Cormallen', in 'The Return of the King'.)

emre43
Rohan

Dec 22 2014, 8:19am

Post #20 of 28 (626 views)
Shortcut
Same here [In reply to] Can't Post

adt100
Rohan

Dec 22 2014, 4:02pm

Post #21 of 28 (569 views)
Shortcut
Well put! [In reply to] Can't Post

There are some 'key moments' in all of the books that one could consider sacrosanct and not to be changed/severely meddled with. Whilst this is one such scene that many consider to be such, (and one I was surprised at initially) it certainly works well in the film. I also tired somewhat of criticisms of PJ and teams changes/inventions always citing them as negative, whereas holding JRRT's versions to be vastly superior. I love the Hobbit but an awful lot of it is explained with barely a passing mention, or done so in such a way that would not be particularly interesting or gripping on film. Bilbo's role in the book, the battle itself, all woefully described, largely in retelling by Gandalf, and totally NOT suitable for a film. As for Kili/Fili/Thorin's demise, it could have made for a good scene (with plenty of PJ invention) to have kili and fili dying in defence of thorin, but the way the filmed it was also a very good scene/series of scenes.

Aranarth
The Shire

Dec 22 2014, 4:35pm

Post #22 of 28 (566 views)
Shortcut
I see why, But.... [In reply to] Can't Post

I understand what the movie did what it did, but one of my favorite parts in the book was the way Fili and Kili go out. I was really looking forward to seeing it on the Big Screen. I was expecting Thorin to get injured while killing Azog, and Fili and Kili guarding his body against the marching ranks of Orks. Then having Tauriel sweep down and abandon the elves to help Kili. At last in an epic shot them dying. That at least was what I was hoping for, but that wouldn't have taken us away all by surprise. I think everyone was (Spoiler alert) expecting Tauriel to die, and when she did't we are astonished (that was my response at least).

Elanor of Rohan
Lorien

Dec 22 2014, 6:05pm

Post #23 of 28 (561 views)
Shortcut
I knew everything about Fili's death [In reply to] Can't Post

and it was a good thing because I could not have handled it if I had been caught unawares, but I was astonished by the amount of "physical pain" I felt: I reacted as I usually react before real sorrows in real life.
PJ wanted it to be a really heartbreaking death, and the more I think about it, the more I find it one of the great scenes of the Middle Earth Saga, keeping up with Boromir's death.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Dec 22 2014, 7:01pm

Post #24 of 28 (529 views)
Shortcut
Funny that [In reply to] Can't Post

With regard to Boromir's death I felt very little – but I think this was because I had seen Sean Bean in so many spiv roles before FotR that the death just didn't seem very credible to me.

For me Thorin's death, on the other hand, is the most moving of all the deaths in the ME films.

lionoferebor
Rohan

Dec 22 2014, 7:49pm

Post #25 of 28 (538 views)
Shortcut
What struck me about Fili's death [In reply to] Can't Post

is how real it is. The way you can hear the air leave his lungs when he's impaled, how his body jerks from the pain, but then goes completely limp, and. last how you can hear the quick last inhale and exhale of breath before he's gone. To a point Kili and Thorin do some of these things upon their deaths, but I think because Fili is being held up by Azog, in a standing position, there seems to be a bit more emphasis on the process of what ones body does physically upon death.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.