The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
The feel of the ending

Hamfast Gamgee
Tol Eressea

Dec 21 2014, 10:40pm

Post #1 of 11 (933 views)
Shortcut
The feel of the ending Can't Post

I don't know about anyone else, but I got the impression that the ending was a bit sombre compared to other endings in the ME movies. There wasn't any of the 'One good person can triumph against all evil,' feel to it. In fact, Bilbo looks quite grieved when he and Gandalf sit together after the battle. Also, at the final scenes, Bilbo doesn't look overjoyed either. It's a little different than in the book.

(This post was edited by Hamfast Gamgee on Dec 21 2014, 10:40pm)

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Dec 21 2014, 10:45pm

Post #2 of 11 (539 views)
Shortcut
Actually it seems to me that's exactly the feel of the book. [In reply to] Can't Post

The ending of the book is not all happy-go-lucky. And once you factor in the events to come in the Lord of the Rings, it's even less so. I was actually more pleased with the ending than anything else in the film.

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Dec 21 2014, 10:47pm)

hobbitylass
Bree

Dec 21 2014, 10:53pm

Post #3 of 11 (519 views)
Shortcut
Remember how the trilogy began [In reply to] Can't Post

with Bilbo asking Gandalf "can you promise that I will come back?" and Gandalf replying "No. And if you do, you will not be the same."

The ending shows just how different Bilbo is as a result of his adventures. I think the tone fits for how the journey was set up.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Dec 21 2014, 10:57pm

Post #4 of 11 (545 views)
Shortcut
RA (Thorin) said it Best... [In reply to] Can't Post

" The LOTR ENDS in weddings
(Aragorn&Arwen..And ...Sam&Rosie)

But The Hobbit Ends in a Funeral..."

We haven't seen that yet...
BUT it will There
Next year...

"That's promise, a Promise
PJ intendzzz
to Keep"

bom
Crazy

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

(This post was edited by Bombadil on Dec 21 2014, 10:59pm)

Aranarth
The Shire

Dec 21 2014, 11:13pm

Post #5 of 11 (438 views)
Shortcut
Done well [In reply to] Can't Post

Indeed, I believe that the way it was ended was just right.

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Dec 21 2014, 11:22pm

Post #6 of 11 (456 views)
Shortcut
Even the Lord of the Rings [In reply to] Can't Post

Was bittersweet at the end with Frodo taking his leave of his friends to sail into the West. The quest to destroy the Ring was complete, but Frodo was not the same, just as Bilbo was not the same either for having been a Ringbearer. None of it is totally happy at the end.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

Eruonen
Half-elven

Dec 21 2014, 11:58pm

Post #7 of 11 (402 views)
Shortcut
I think the end was very well done. [In reply to] Can't Post

Bilbo just got back from the most life changing "adventure" a hobbit could imagine and lost dear friends in the process. Some melancholy along with a trashed house were perfect for showing the impact on his personal life. The cut to the older Bilbo nicely tied the films to The LOTRs.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 22 2014, 1:17am

Post #8 of 11 (364 views)
Shortcut
I really love it... [In reply to] Can't Post

From the moment Gandalf joined Bilbo on the step... cleaning his pipe... it is my favourite part of the film. Gandalf knew exactly how to start bringing a hobbit back from so much shock and sadness. Gently, simply, with a bit of humour. Them sitting there side-by-side is fantastic!

I think it's brilliant how they closed the story. We started AUJ with Bilbo up before dawn on his birthday to start writing in the Red Book. The story finished in BoFA later in the day when Gandalf arrives in FotR. "Gandalf! Come on, come in!" The map is on the table where Gandalf walks up for a look.

Wonderful :)

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - May 15, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

glor
Rohan

Dec 22 2014, 2:30am

Post #9 of 11 (326 views)
Shortcut
The end is fitting and very Tolkien [In reply to] Can't Post

LOTR was written after WWII, with it's evil enemy, a war fought out of necessity that ended in victory and glory.

The Hobbit however, was written after WWI and before WWII, it contains the themes of a battle fought because of the vanity and ego of kings, that ended in pointless loss and almost every soldier, losing a comrade and friend, almost every mother losing her sons.

I thought the ending of BOTFA was stunning, it captured that difference between The Hobbit and LOTR. Omitting the funeral was a good move IMHO, it removed any ceremony, the visual impact of which, no matter how sombre, would have detracted from the personal loss that permeated the film from Thorin's death.

What added to my amazement was it was not the ending I expect from PJ. I anticipated a funeral scene, crowning of Kings and leaders and the victory of those that survived, that is PJ isn't it, visual spectacle, don't do quiet when you can go (almost) OTT.

Instead, we had PJ proving he can do melancholy, delicate and understated and, in doing so gave us something so sublimely Tolkien it blew me away. the tears rolling down my cheeks were not just for our deceased dwarves, but for the spirit of Tolkien felt on screen in a deep emotional way.

No mascara can survive BOTFA

glor
Rohan

Dec 22 2014, 2:37am

Post #10 of 11 (320 views)
Shortcut
I thought that scene was absolutely stunning [In reply to] Can't Post

Hardly a word and, Mckellan, just demonstrating why he is one of the finest actors on the planet by, dressing up as a wizard and lighting a pipe for a film.

I didn't even notice the transformation of Freeman into Holms, I was too busy watching Bilbo reminiscing about his adventure whilst looking at his map and I Like Bilbo, was rudely awakened from my memories by Gandalf unexpectedly knocking on the door.

No mascara can survive BOTFA

Eruonen
Half-elven

Dec 22 2014, 5:25am

Post #11 of 11 (245 views)
Shortcut
Indeed, him fiddling with cleaning his pipe bowl, looking a little frustrated and [In reply to] Can't Post

Bilbo watching him and slowly coming around from post battle shock was supremely handled.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.