Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of the Rings:
Stories that were cut out of the movies. This is how I would handled them.

Victariongreyjoy
Lorien

Dec 21 2014, 9:55pm

Post #1 of 8 (3284 views)
Shortcut
Stories that were cut out of the movies. This is how I would handled them. Can't Post

Something that bugged me a little, is that many small stories could have been inserted or changed in way to make them adapt to the final product of the Lord of the rings movies. So I've came up with a idea how they could been handled:

-Swan Knights and Prince Imrahil: When the Rohirrim were on their way to the rescue and was camping at Harrowdale, Prince Imrahil and the Swan Knights could have appeared and joined with them to Minas Tirith. Minor scene and could have been added in EE edition. I would also have them in the charge against the orcs in Pelennor field, and have Imrahil as one of the men with Aragorn to the Black Gate. Could be inserted to the Mouth of Sauron scene.

-Bombadil and Barrow Downs: This one is a tricky one, since PJ arguments that he served no big purpose to the storry. Here, I would make the scene as a cameo. Frodo and Sam meets him after they witness the wood elves going to the grey haven. Frodo, getting startled as Bombadil turns out from the woods in nowhere, accidently lost his ring. Bombadil takes it, and starres it a little, and give it to Frodo as nothing happens. He presents himself and wishes them good luck. Later when they catch up with Merry and Pippin, they find a the Barrow Downs, and makes camp there at night. Strange ghosly spirits appear, and tries to grab them when they are at sleep. Bombadil comes and drive them away, without the hobbits noticing what really happend. He disappear and his arc are finish. A EE scene would be fitting for this.

Scourging of the Shire: The battle will happen simultaneously as the battle of Pelennor fields. I would use some of the deleted scenes that never made it to the EE edition, while having a very short scene, where we see the hobbits fighting back and drives the orcs out of the Shire. I would insert this right after the ghosts cleaning the orcs out of Minas Tirith.

-Battle of Dale: Legolas hinting it to Gimli in Edoras, so I don't think it would be so important to show this battle. Legolas naming Dale and easterlings in his dialogue? That would work better. Maybe showing the aftermath of the battle together with the Shire victory.

-Easterlings: We see glimps of them in the charge of the city. I would add some short scenes of them, where we see clearly of them fighting in the battle. Both in the pelennor field and inside the city.

So what do you guys think?

(This post was edited by Victariongreyjoy on Dec 21 2014, 9:55pm)

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Dec 22 2014, 12:15pm

Post #2 of 8 (2992 views)
Shortcut
The Barrow-wights [In reply to] Can't Post

I might have included a tribute in the Hobbit movies to the Barrow-wights by having a Wight be the tormentor/guard of the captured Thrain in Dol Guldur.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Faramir74
Bree

Dec 22 2014, 8:38pm

Post #3 of 8 (2960 views)
Shortcut
Good ideas [In reply to] Can't Post

Another scene I would like is when Legolas shoots down the Nazguls winged creature above the Sarn Gebir rapids on Anduin. It could have been inserted into the EE scene where the Company discover Gollum floating down the river on a log.

Victariongreyjoy
Lorien

Dec 23 2014, 11:38am

Post #4 of 8 (2925 views)
Shortcut
Barrow Downs Wight [In reply to] Can't Post

That would be cool and a homage to the fans. Maybe perhaps a camoe of Bombadil also? I hope PJ will insert Galadriel tearing down Dol Goldur, Battle of Dale and Scourging of the Shire one day. I know it's very unlikely, but who knows.

moreorless
Gondor

Dec 24 2014, 5:15pm

Post #5 of 8 (2905 views)
Shortcut
The Old Forrest/Tom/Barrow second would IMHO need another film.. [In reply to] Can't Post

I think to cover this large cut area of the story effectively you would have needed to spilt FOTR into two films. Not just to cover the scenes themselves in some form(I'm guessing your talking an hour or so to really do them well) but to have the Nazgul chase make sense.

In FOTR as we saw it the Nazgul chase in the shire is really mostly a buildup to Bree and the wilds which makes sense as the two follow each other. If on the other hand your going to have the whole Old Forrest/Tom/Barrows section in the story I think the Nazgul chase in the shire needs to be longer with the escape on the ferry itself a minor "victory" that concludes it for awhile before it starts off again in Bree.

I think the Old Forrest and the Barrows are actually quite easy to picture onscreen, the trouble would be how do you handle Tom? I spose you could argue that the Dwarves "large than life" characters and designs in The Hobbit show that it can work in ME even if the tone of those films is slightly different.

(This post was edited by moreorless on Dec 24 2014, 5:15pm)

Faleel
Rohan

Dec 26 2014, 1:47am

Post #6 of 8 (2870 views)
Shortcut
This! [In reply to] Can't Post

This, it would keep the Nazgul present in FOTR (if you know what I mean).

Ereinion Nénharma
Lorien

Dec 29 2014, 7:47pm

Post #7 of 8 (2841 views)
Shortcut
Just brainstorming over here... [In reply to] Can't Post

...but maybe in The Hobbit you could have Gandalf asking Radagast to keep a watch on the Shire while he is gone. Therefore, Radagast goes to live in the Old Forest and could there take over the role of Tom Bombadil?

''Do not fear the shadows, for seeing them means light is near...''

moreorless
Gondor

Jan 1 2015, 6:28am

Post #8 of 8 (2878 views)
Shortcut
Thats an interesting one, you could argue Jackson did the reverse. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
...but maybe in The Hobbit you could have Gandalf asking Radagast to keep a watch on the Shire while he is gone. Therefore, Radagast goes to live in the Old Forest and could there take over the role of Tom Bombadil?

I think Radagast as seen in the Hobbit would be a tone mismatch for LOTR BUT if the scenes had been in FOTR I could potentially see a different more serious version him replacing Tom. Indeed if they we prepaired to alter the plot significant Radagast could have been altered to directly replace Tom and live where he does as a guardian.

As things turn out I would actually argue the reverse happened, that is that Radagasts quite limited character in the books actually takes on a good deal of the tone of Tom's from LOTR, a somewhat cartoonish guardian of a dark forrest. Indeed I would say that I think we actually see a lot of the Old Forrest/Tom/Barrow section influence the Hobbit, I think Mirkwood takes on a lot of the atmosphere of the Old Forrest being mysterious and hypnotic rather than just dark and scary and I think the High Fells and the Nazgil generally have a barrow/wright like atmosphere as well.

(This post was edited by moreorless on Jan 1 2015, 6:35am)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.