Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Jame's Kendrick (Latest review on rotten tomatoes)

ecthelionsbeard
Lorien

Dec 21 2014, 8:50pm

Post #1 of 18 (1062 views)
Shortcut
Jame's Kendrick (Latest review on rotten tomatoes) Can't Post

He praises the movie and gives it 3/4 stars but it's rotten...Crazy

(This post was edited by ecthelionsbeard on Dec 21 2014, 8:52pm)

Kelly of Water's Edge
Rohan

Dec 21 2014, 9:12pm

Post #2 of 18 (628 views)
Shortcut
I sometimes don't get [In reply to] Can't Post

how they decide fresh or rotten. I agree that 3/4 would certainly seem fresh. I'm avoiding reading the actual reviews because I've had holiday guests, so I won't be able to see the movie until Friday (day after Xmas).

Right now, it's at 60% positive with 182 reviews in. I suspect that tomorrow over 200 reviews will be in the system and we'll then have a pretty good idea of around where the Tomatometer is going to settle. I was hoping the last few reviews would up the percentage a little, but they didn't - so unless a bunch of fresh reviews and very few rotten come in, it's looking like the Battle of the Five Armies isn't going to end up very well reviewed. Not a disaster, but the lowest reviewed of both the trilogy and the whole Middle Earth saga and barely hanging on to a "Fresh" ranking.

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Dec 21 2014, 9:21pm

Post #3 of 18 (607 views)
Shortcut
It changed to fresh as it should be [In reply to] Can't Post

"You cannot find peace by avoiding life"

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Dec 21 2014, 9:22pm

Post #4 of 18 (581 views)
Shortcut
No.... [In reply to] Can't Post

But as Martin Freeman said when asked about the fact that AUJ didn't fare as well critically as the other Jackson films:

"It made a billion dollars, someone liked it".

As usual. the man of few words gets it spot on. You tell 'em Martypants.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

Kelly of Water's Edge
Rohan

Dec 21 2014, 11:14pm

Post #5 of 18 (456 views)
Shortcut
I don't think [In reply to] Can't Post

anyone expected, or should have expected, The Hobbit to reach the status of LOTR. LOTR is an epic - The Hobbit is it's somewhat lighter prequel which for better or worse came out in film form after rather than before LOTR and was never meant to compete with it in scope. The problem is that barring a drastic turnaround in the last wave of reviews, BOTFA is apparently doing worse rather than better than the first two Hobbit movies, which is cause for concern considering that it's the climax of The Hobbit.

DigificWriter
Lorien

Dec 21 2014, 11:22pm

Post #6 of 18 (484 views)
Shortcut
TBotFA now has a Fresh rating... [In reply to] Can't Post

... of 61%, which is still far lower than it deserves, but much better than the idiotic "Rotten" rating (58% last I had seen) it had before.

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Dec 21 2014, 11:23pm

Post #7 of 18 (454 views)
Shortcut
I still can't wrap my head around... [In reply to] Can't Post

...this film getting the worst reviews of the 3 Theatrical Cuts. It's of little consequence to me, but I admit it is extremely odd and confounding.

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

DigificWriter
Lorien

Dec 21 2014, 11:39pm

Post #8 of 18 (445 views)
Shortcut
Critics are elitists [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
...this film getting the worst reviews of the 3 Theatrical Cuts. It's of little consequence to me, but I admit it is extremely odd and confounding.

The only explanation I can come up with is that most critics are 'elitists'. The Battle of the Five Armies deserves a far better critical reception than it has gotten so far, but, fortunately, it doesn't appear as if 'elitist critics' are going to dampen the film's box office success or its reception by general audiences, which is very much a good thing.

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Dec 22 2014, 1:17am

Post #9 of 18 (395 views)
Shortcut
yes [In reply to] Can't Post

Indeed a very good thing. It does not mean there are not criticisms. Indeed there are. But if looked at as a whole piece, it does not deserve the thrashing that it has been given.

Well said.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

DigificWriter
Lorien

Dec 22 2014, 2:39am

Post #10 of 18 (398 views)
Shortcut
It should be pointed out... [In reply to] Can't Post

... that the Rotten Tomatoes ratings for both An Unexpected Journey and The Desolation of Smaug are also lower than either film deserves, so it's not just The Battle of the Five Armies that has been unfairly judged by critics.

As an aside, I looked at the fan score for TBotFA and while I personally think it should also be higher (it's at 80% approval), it at least demonstrates that fan opinion of Jackson's ME films remains consistently positive.

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Dec 22 2014, 3:12am

Post #11 of 18 (374 views)
Shortcut
Thank you for mentioning the fan score, [In reply to] Can't Post

that for me is actually more important than all the critics 'rotten' verdicts, which show only how rotten their opinions themselves can be!!! MadEvil

'Is everything sad going to come untrue?'
(Sam, 'The Field of Cormallen', in 'The Return of the King'.)

ecthelionsbeard
Lorien

Dec 22 2014, 3:54am

Post #12 of 18 (357 views)
Shortcut
For me... [In reply to] Can't Post

the critics committed career suicide with their bashing apart AUJ. I will never take them seriously again.

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Dec 22 2014, 6:06am

Post #13 of 18 (338 views)
Shortcut
Right, agree with you!...// [In reply to] Can't Post

DigificWriter
Lorien

Dec 22 2014, 6:09am

Post #14 of 18 (347 views)
Shortcut
All six of these films... [In reply to] Can't Post

... are spectacularly made, and truly do cement Peter Jackson as one of the world's greatest filmmakers and a phenomenal storyteller, even if 'critics' can't recognize that.

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Dec 22 2014, 7:21am

Post #15 of 18 (335 views)
Shortcut
DITTO! Well said!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Old Toby
Grey Havens

Dec 22 2014, 4:50pm

Post #16 of 18 (293 views)
Shortcut
Lol! [In reply to] Can't Post

I never heard that. It's choice! Leave it to Martin to tell it like it is!

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Avandel
Half-elven

Dec 22 2014, 5:13pm

Post #17 of 18 (291 views)
Shortcut
*snigger* [In reply to] Can't Post

http://grantland.com/...all-winners-edition/

Hollywood may have earned itself a place on the naughty list these past two hack-filled weeks, but that didn’t stop Gandalf Claus and WETA’s army of digital elves from dumping a dragon’s weight in gold on the box office this weekend. Bilbo and the Five Armies led the charge on the multiplex, providing a wallop of blockbuster bang to a year notable mostly for lacking it. In fact, despite Peter Jackson’s epic sixth trip to the seemingly inexhaustible, profit-spewing well that is J.R.R. Tolkien, the pre-Christmas weekend actually finished down 4 percent compared to last year. And even worse, the domestic box office has now fallen 5 percent short of 2013 with just one weekend to go in 2014: $9.85 billion vs. $10.38 billion......

You know what?** Bleep** It’s probably all that bourbon-laced eggnog I’ve been downing, but it’s the holidays, man. Let’s celebrate! Burn the naughty list! Winners all around! After all, The Hobbit made it rain gold — and it looks like maybe Sony will release The Interview after all. So Happy Holidays, Hollywood! Here’s your stocking stuffer from Grantland: the all-winning edition of the Weekend Box Office!

$90 million in five days, $56 million for the weekend, and $355 million worldwide in 12 days. Go ahead, Baggins, drop the mic on your way out. It only took five and a half hours to get to the action-packed finale, but The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies is the undisputed box office champ this weekend, coming in nicely ahead of already high expectations.

CoolCoolCoolCoolCool

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Dec 23 2014, 12:56am

Post #18 of 18 (274 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think we will see another producer/director running out to remake these films in my lifetime anyway. They can say what they want, but Jackson is winner and STILL champion of the middle earth films. They can put that in their pipe and smoke it!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.