Thranduil Appreciation Thread Part XXIX
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Dec 21 2014, 6:45pm

Post #1 of 216 (4148 views)
Shortcut
     Thranduil Appreciation Thread Part XXIX  

A couple of friendly reminders aka README!!!!!!!!
- If you're new, or unsure, about posting, especially contributing Pretty!, please refer to the TORn guides on the "Welcome" board, or refer to the "IMPORTANT README for TA posters: Information on posting, and adding images" and the little PSA from the mods posts right here on the TA threads for quickie information. It might just save you from getting zapped by Wrath of Mod.

And now back to your regularly scheduled Thranduil AppreciationHeart

.~.~.~.~.~. .~.~.~.~.~. .~.~.~.~.~.

Thread XXVIII has been tipped (by multiple Thralls I think) and we're ready for XXIX! Here we go!Smile

Rolling on with the appreciation for His Fabulous MajestyHeart

Any and all appreciation of HeartThranduil and everything related to him happens here.
All HeartThranduil Thralls, and appreciating non-Thralls are welcome.Smile
So feel free to jump in at any time!

The Thranduil Appreciation thread count:
I | II (Originating threads by Rowan Greene) | III | IV | V | VI (Threads by Lurker in the Mirk)
VII (Thread by Eruvandi) | VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV (Threads by Lurker in the Mirk)
XV (Thread by Eruvandi) | XVI (Thread by Lurker in the Mirk) | XVII (Thread by VValar) | XVIII
XIX | XX | XXI | XXII | XXIII | XXIV | XXV (Threads by Lurker in the Mirk) | XXVI (Thread by Eruvandi) | XXVII (Thread by Lurker in the Mirk) XXVIII (Thread by Eruvandi)

Thranduil Appreciation Lexicon aka the little TAspeak garden Tongue
  • BTS Easter Egg Find (aka BEEF): Those moments in the BTS when Thranduil/LP flashes by (see Unexpected Flash of Elf) on screen or some information is found. See also "Ninja-Hugger"
  • Bubba: Nickname of Thranduil's beloved War-Elk. See also "Maximum Fabulosity Exposure"
  • Equal Opportunistic Thrall: One who thralls whom her/his infidelity fancies. Shamelessly multi-allegiance by nature. See also "Thranduil Thralls"
  • Elvenking, The: That's right, that's how it's supposed to be written
  • Facemelt: That thing Thranduil does in T&T
  • Fanart: Popular post subject/title. Beacon for Thralls, as sure as moths dive into flames. See also "Pretty!"
    (Helpful reference for the threadlard inspired: See the "IMAGES" section of "The TA (very) Quickie Help/TIPS for adding IMAGES and POSTING" sections in this README FOR ALL TA Posters)
  • FEAST: Shorthand for Flustered Elrond AND Sassy Thranduil. In honour of Thranduil sass/badassery resulting in Elrond raising his eyebrows disapprovingly. May involve dramatic Elrond temple-rubbing. Elrond's fluster can be induced remotely or by proxy and does not require Elrond to be present when Thranduil does his thang. See also "FLAST", "FEASTING"
  • FEASTING: Shorthand for Flustered Elrond AND Sassy Thranduil Including Not-impressed Galadriel. Extension of FEAST, which includes Galadriel, also in disapproval mode, i.e. Elrond's fluster conditions in FEAST apply here for both Elrond and Galadriel
  • FLAST: Shorthand for Flustered Leggy AND Sassy Thranduil. In honour of the worship for badass (maybe a smidgeon of oblivious in there somewhere) Thranduil and his actions/non-actions resulting in Legolas getting into a flap. Requires Legolas to be present when Thranduil does his thang. See also "FEAST"
  • GotG: Guardians of the Galaxy. That movie in August 2014 with LP in it
  • HCF: Halt and Catch Fire. LP's 2014 TV series.
  • Hair of Thranduil (aka HoT) Appreciation. Appreciation for Thranduil's gloriously silken beautiful platinum blond locks.
  • High Thud Risk (aka HTR): Alert for Pretty! hoarding thralls, invoked when 'EI' ain't cutting it. See also "Pretty!"
  • LA/LAEM: The Last Alliance of Elves and Men, not the city in the States
  • Lee Pace: Thranduil
  • Leggy: affectionate diminutive of Legolas
  • Legolas: Son of Thranduil, aka surfer Elf of LotR
  • LP: Lee Pace
  • Maximum Fabulosity Exposure (aka MFE): Thranduil's complete magnificence doing anything. Inspired by his awesome cool when riding Bubba the War-Elk. See also "Bubba"
  • Ninja-Hugger: Specifically LP dispensing hugs. Not that he hugs ninjas, but because he's sneaky like a ninja when he hugs people in the TH Vlogs and appendices and it takes everyone forever to realize it was even him, usually because he's back to camera when he bounces into frame. Will the sneaky hugging never end? We hope not! See also "BTS Easter Egg Find", "Unexpected Flash of Elf"
  • Oropher: Father of Thranduil
  • Orry/Oro: affectionate diminutive of Oropher
  • PD: Pushing Daisies. LP's 2007/2008 TV series
  • Pretty!: Surely self-explanatory? See also "Woodland Weekend", "High Thud Risk"
  • Silent Thread Visitor (aka STV): Self-explanatory, also known as Silent Thread Reader. STVs, Thranduil has a question for you. What say you? Smile
  • T&T: The Thranduil and Thorin confrontation scene in DOS. Generally ranked top favourite of Thranduil Thralls
  • TA: Thranduil Appreciation. All-round Heart for the Elvenking and his onscreen avatar (and by extension teh actor. See also LP). Shockingly, there are TA posts with that literary bent associated with thinking individuals frequenting such an exemplary forum as TORn. Some even hint at functional brain-matter in the poster.
  • That disagreeable (among other things) Dwarf: See "T&T"
  • Theory of Bling: Overarching term for theories and speculation on the backstories of Thranduil's rings. Popular discussion circa TAIII/TAIV, but still pops up occasionally.
  • Thranddy: affectionateHeart diminutive of the Elvenking's name (if you don't know who is the Elvenking, google is your mellon)
  • Thrandfully: The right manner on how to express your thankfulness to all Thranduil-related and non-related subjects
  • Thranduil Thralls: The afflicted. Fangirls, and boys, whose allegiance are pledged to the Elvenking. Also known as the hopelessly enthralled to his ELVEN MAGNIFICENCE. Perturbing to some, Thralldom may not be exclusive. Credit goes to Eowyn of Penns Woods for the "official" Thranduil Thrall moniker. See also "Equal Opportunistic Thrall"
  • Threadlock: The inevitable fate of all TA threads exceeding 200 replies, aka mundane Chore of Mod. See also "Thread tipping"
  • Thread tipping: Post(s) that sends the current TA thread over the 200 replies threshold See also "Threadlock".
    (See the "AVOIDING GENERIC POST-DEATH" and "AVOIDING POST- DEATH FROM THREADLOCK" sections in this README FOR ALL TA Posters).
  • Unexpected Flash of Elf (aka UFE): Those moments in the TH BTS, Vlogs when Thranduil/LP flashes by. See also "BTS Easter Egg Find", "Ninja-Hugger"
  • Woodland Weekend (aka WW): Occasional mega URL laden post for Pretty! of Thranduil, and LP. May also include goodness for Legolas, *cough*That disagreeable (among other things) Dwarf*cough* and some others. Selective indiscrimination is key. See also "Pretty!", "High Thud Risk"

• [Click here for the general TORnspeak lexicon]

Keeping track of the appreciation
    Caught off-guard at how much you've missed? 1 simple click will ensure you won't miss another update again. Put this thread on watch! Locate the "Watch thread" button to the top and right of this post (button 3 of the 5 threads buttons you see) and click it.

Also, if you click on the "creation" bit in the "Age" column (last one) when you view a forum, it changes to "activity", and you get a list of threads which has been recently posted to, instead of when they were started. It's a much easier way to find the current TA thread since someone will probably post in it, and it usually appears on page 1 of the activity view. Certainly beats going back through the board to look for it.

"I heard the bells on Christmas Day
    Their old familiar carols play
    And mild and sweet their songs repeat
    Of peace on earth, good will to men.

But in despair I bowed my head
    There is no peace on earth, I said
    For hate is strong and mocks the song

Then rang the bells more loud and deep,
    God is not dead, nor doth He sleep
    The wrong shall fail, the right prevail
    With peace on earth, good will to men."
    ~Casting Crowns "I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day"

(This post was edited by Eruvandi on Dec 21 2014, 6:46pm)

Eruvandi
    Tol Eressea

Dec 21 2014, 7:16pm

Post #2 of 216 (3481 views)
    Shortcut
         To start us off: An interesting quote from PB about that bow-smashing scene [In reply to]  

There was some discussion in the previous thread about the scene where Tauriel tries to stop Thranduil from leaving Dale and says some *cough* hurtful things to Thranduil. Our lovely BlackFox pointed it out first and I thought I would point it out too that there is an interesting quote from Philippa Boyens in an Empire Podcast that addresses that very scene and

Ms. Boyens states:

"She [Tauriel] says ”There’s no love in you”. She’s actually utterly wrong. He [Thranduil] has loved so deeply that he can’t go near it anymore. He can’t approach it, he can’t touch it, it is not to be talked about. So when he finally says to Legolas 'Your mother loved you, more than anything, more than life', that’s what we said to the actor in that moment is that she died saving her child."

I thought this was very interesting because, A:It's how I felt about the scene anyway, and B: it makes me think that the filmmakers may have actually wanted the audience to take Thranduil's side in that instance by showing Tauriel acting with such violent emotion and saying something that wasn't true, to which Thranduil had an equally violently emotional reaction.

As I mentioned in the previous thread, I actually felt like there were wrongs on both sides in that scene. On the one hand I agree with Thranduil for wanting to protect his people, but it's also not Ok to abandon the other people who need help, whether, as he was trying to point out, they're ultimately doomed to die of natural causes anyway or not. It's true that all mortal beings will die at some point, either of violence or natural causes, but it's not up to Thranduil to decide when that should happen.

In that case, Tauriel may have been right to try to stop Thranduil from leaving, but the manner in which she did it was wrong. She drew her bow and threatened the life of the individual who took her in and acted as a father to her when her own parents were killed. She also gave a low blow to him by saying "There's no love in you" when Thranduil, as Ms. Boyens stated, has loved so deeply that he can't go near it anymore. I think Thranduil's reaction of slicing her bow was actually to be expected after that, and really, I don't even think it was an overreaction in light of everything he's been through in his long life. Of course, I still can't overlook the fact that he then told Thranduil that her feelings for Kili weren't real because exchanging hurt for hurt, imho, wasn't right either. I also don't know if Thranduil actually would have hurt Tauriel, but I think Legolas was right to step in at that moment whether it was right of him to take Tauriel's side over his father's or not. There was enough death going on without the good guys starting to hurt their own people.

I guess that's all I really have to say about the scene without having to reference other scenes, but I'd love to hear what everyone else thinks, as always. What do you think of what Philippa Boyens said about the scene in question and does it or does it not make you look at it differently?

VValar
    Gondor

Dec 21 2014, 8:03pm

Post #3 of 216 (3376 views)
    Shortcut
         *does quick math* number 29 it is! [In reply to]  

I got your warning about the thread tipping, yet I couldn't get onto my pc fast enough. You beat me to it again Shocked

I like the OP! When I saw Thranduil's drawing at the end I was happy they gave Thranduil's magnificent, dancing, flowing, glowing hair a rightful place at the end credits Heart

If your ears aren't pointy, you're doing it wrong.

Eruvandi
    Tol Eressea

Dec 21 2014, 8:03pm

Post #4 of 216 (3382 views)
    Shortcut
         A responses to XXVIII [In reply to]  

VValar's post with the sassy gifs

Oh how I did love that sassy eye-roll! LaughAnd then he turns around like, "Hmm? What's that wizard going on about?" Lol!

And yes, IIRC he did only make a drink for himself and Bard and not Gandalf. Actually, I was a little surprised he made one for Bard, but I guess that shows who he had respect for at that point and who he did not. Certainly knows how to get his point across.Tongue

I actually may have more responses, but they'll have to come later.Evil

Me85
    Rivendell

Dec 21 2014, 8:09pm

Post #5 of 216 (3400 views)
    Shortcut
         agreed [In reply to]  

The way she tried to stop Thranduil by threatening his life ticked me off. She really seems like a young, naive, impulsive and "more dangerous, less wise" elf. I mean really, did she think it through? What did she think was going to happen? You're really going to kill your king, the father of legolas and the person who took you in as an orphan because he wants to protect his people?

VValar
    Gondor

Dec 21 2014, 8:14pm

Post #6 of 216 (3381 views)
    Shortcut
         Oh and we're back at page 1 [In reply to]  

See how long that will last with all this Hobbit madness going on Cool I had trouble finding TA #28 these past couple of days. Had to access it via my email notifcations. That has never happend to me Shocked

Now my dear Thralls, I'm bearing gifts. Well actually ony just one. But it's a good one to start off our newest TA thread Heart

(clicky)

VValar
    Gondor

Dec 21 2014, 8:21pm

Post #7 of 216 (3393 views)
    Shortcut
         Pssst surprise [In reply to]  

In Reply To
    Oh how I did love that sassy eye-roll! LaughAnd then he turns around like, "Hmm? What's that wizard going on about?" Lol!

I found this little clip on the net, I'm sure you (and the other Thralls) will like it.

LOL it's such passive-aggressive behavior to pour drinks for all present except poor Gandalf Laugh

(This post was edited by VValar on Dec 21 2014, 8:23pm)

Me85
    Rivendell

Dec 21 2014, 8:31pm

Post #8 of 216 (3359 views)
    Shortcut
         haha [In reply to]  

So funny. I hadnt noticed that second look after the eye roll when i saw it in the theater. Thanks for thatCool

Dragonrnbw
    Rivendell

Dec 21 2014, 8:38pm

Post #9 of 216 (3440 views)
    Shortcut
         Causing trouble [In reply to]  

<< The way she tried to stop Thranduil by threatening his life ticked me off. She really seems like a young, naive, impulsive and "more dangerous, less wise" elf. I mean really, did she think it through? What did she think was going to happen? You're really going to kill your king, the father of legolas and the person who took you in as an orphan because he wants to protect his people? >>

Well, I guess I am going to cause some trouble now!Wink In my opinion the entire Tauriel story line was worse than Thranduil’s back story! Instead of showing a strong female character they gave us a bipolar elf in much need of Prozac! Crazy
    I have no problem with including her in it but why steal a story from the LoTR? Per PB they wanted to expand on the G & G story from LoTR. Why??? That story belonged in LoTR and it needed to STAY there!!! Unimpressed
    If you are going to invent a new character give her a new story! Not someone elses!
    Tauriel is supposed to be in ‘love’ with Legolas and is crushed when Thranduil disapproves…. Boy she got over that fast!Shocked The Elder are supposed to love very deeply and not sway easily in matters of the heart. Guess Tauriel is missing that. In fact she tossed away 600 years of loyalty and ‘love’ for someone she just met? Where was her sense of duty to HER king, people, and guards? Is she not the Captain? She cares so little about them that she would have every single one of them die for her dwarf?? She has no regard for them? Might I point out Killi didn’t stick around for her did he? He left to go to ‘his people’. She seems to values ‘his people’ more than her own. She may fight well but she has no character. For her to turn her back on her people so fast..doesn’t show girls a strong character. It says..abandon all who have stood by you for someone you JUST met! Oh…wait…does Bella come to mind? She will lose her family and all her friends..for a guy. Twilight Hobbit style!Mad
    It’s also not like her dwaft has honorable intentions? Is he ridding Middle Earth of evil? HECK NO!! He is going after a mountain of gold. It is his people who wake up a dragon that kills hundreds! Tauriel acts like he is on some rightness mission!Frown

‘You have no love in you’…all of Thranduil’s actions stem from love. ( I wrote about this in my earlier post so I won’t rehash it here. ) That line is out of place. So is her ‘Not this time’. What time? CrazyDear Tauriel what battle in the last 600 years has Thranduil left? Did he not send you after the orcs who attacked his kingdom? True you didn’t follow them all the way to Lake Town...why would you? Usually when an enemy retreats that signals you won. You don’t go after them. The dwarfs weren’t important enough to Thranduil to have him risk his people for them so he let them go. Does he not have his people trying to clean the forests – killing spiders..etc..true he doesn’t ‘go to the source’..he did that once..went to the source…lost his father and most of his people in a battle that lasted 8 years. Again..one is stronger defending his home vs sending troops into gosh knows what! Thranduil is being wise!

As far as killing her…if he wanted to he would have. Why just cut her bow..he could have easily cut off her head. He didn’t need anyones permission. He values life..he wouldn’t take hers.
    PB and PJ had the opportunity to write a very cool character and story into the Hobbit. Instead they tried to make a story line fit into another movie with two totally different characters and I’m sorry but to me it fell short. Frown

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for thou are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

Dragonrnbw
    Rivendell

Dec 21 2014, 8:41pm

Post #10 of 216 (3383 views)
    Shortcut
         I love [In reply to]  

I LOVE that secoind look!Heart Like a kid caught with his hand in the cookie jar! Smile

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for thou are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

kiwifan
    Rohan

Dec 21 2014, 8:42pm

Post #11 of 216 (3381 views)
    Shortcut
         That's the one problem I have with Tauriel [In reply to]  

She is always coming across as the moral conscience even if she doesn't seem to really know how to properly judge the situation.

'Goodness gracious, you really are a messie!' 'Oh no, I'm not, these are all just mathoms...'

On_the_partyelk
    Lorien

Dec 21 2014, 8:48pm

Post #12 of 216 (3369 views)
    Shortcut
         This scene becomes more and more my fave [In reply to]  

First of all: I basically agree with what you said.

Re: what Philippa said, yes, it was quite a scene that invited people to take Thranduil's side (for more than one reason IMO. For 'personal' reasons: how can she say something she has no idea about and -as you said he took her in- how can she raise her bow against him, aside the fact that he is king- after all he has done for her? Whether one thinks it's right or wrong that he won't help, it's not ok to do that).

Just because she's into the dwarf gives her no right to demand from Thranduil to risk the lives of even more of his people. Even though I understand she wants him to help, yet to call him a coward in a way, is not ok. People may think a lot about him, but calling him a coward is plain wrong! (and looking at what Philippa said, he is the bravest of them all. IMO.)

As for Thranduil saying she knows nothing of love, well, it might be not ok to say that since he knows as little about her feelings as she knows about his; he lived by far longer than her I guess this and what he's been through in all of his live also plays a role in why he said it. Bottomline: basically neither has a right to say they know nothing about love respectively there is no love in them, because neither has an idea about the other's heart and feelings.

And as for Legolas coming to the "rescue" (I put it in quotationmarks because I honestly doubt Thranduil would've harmed her, he just threatened her a little): I better don't start with this topic. So, let's just say he's older than the way he is reacting lets on.

To your last question: To me Thranduil's reaction as well as the look on his face was quite self-explanetory. Though I didn't know to what extent exactly, until I read Philippa's comment.

The fortunes of the world will rise and fall, but here in this kingdom we will endure!

VValar
    Gondor

Dec 21 2014, 8:50pm

Post #13 of 216 (3367 views)
    Shortcut
         Thranduil vs. Tauriel scene [In reply to]  

I thought Tauriel's words to Thranduil were a cheap shot. Especially since she just found out he had lost his wife in battle (how I personally feel about that 'little' completely made-up subplot is another matter) from Legolas. I'm guessing by her reaction (and Legolas') when he tells her this news, she didn't know it before. I'm guessing since it's obviously still very emotional to talk about for both father and son it's not something they will share regulary with anybody. Considering Tauriel has been taken in by Thranduil when she was young of age (after her parents death) and has been 'favored' by him for all this years, what was it 600 years or so, and she still had no clue what exactly happend with Thranduil's wife, I guess it's safe to assume at least HE doesn't talk about it. Ever. And that's exactly what PB says in the interview too. He can't go near it, can't talk about it or give it much thought.

So Tauriel only recently found out about Thranduil's wife (I'm guessing she knew the queen had died but the where/when/no memory part was new to her) and she still has the nerve to bring up the 'you have no love in you' line in Thranduil's face? Woah, I mean that's just cruel. I can't believe for a second that someone with that much experience as a captain (having to take responsibilties, make life saving decisions, having at least some form of managing and people skills etc. etc, not to mention the personal favoring by Thranduil) would ever say such a thing to hurt him so deeply. And she threatens him with her bow at the same time. What was she thinking? Or better yet what were the scriptwriters thinking? It might look pretty on the screen but it's not a very believable character move for Tauriel imo. Thranduil's reaction to what happens afterwards is to me. I would be pretty pissed if someone I held so dearly, who just betrayed me by disobeying my orders, had spoken to me in such a way.

Would she really be so blinded by love *cough* with a dwarf she met just recently *cough* to be able to say and do such a unthinkable thing?
    And why was Legolas so quick to choose her side?
    Why didn't he try to resolve the matter in a more peaceful way? I can't remember what his exact words were but telling your father/King he has to kill off his son first to get to the one who just threatened him isn't the most diplomatic resolution. I thought Legolas was better than that. Still do actually, to me it's another debatable scriptwriting decision.
    Why did Thranduil look so very hurt after Legolas words? Had he not been expecting his son to ever say such a thing to him? Or was it because his son didn't choose his side in the first place?

Questions questions.
    Overall I thought it was a confusing character scene that really did nothing for the actual plot other then to show Tauriel and Legolas would be heading off to Ravenhill. (and Thranduil obviously following them with/without his army(?) as we see them reunite at the end of the battle).

VValar
    Gondor

Dec 21 2014, 8:54pm

Post #14 of 216 (3368 views)
    Shortcut
         Still have to thank Lurker for celebrating reaching the 6000 post in TA... [In reply to]  

... With such a lovely *happy* picture

HeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeart

In Reply To

*SQUEE!!*
    Angelic

VValar
    Gondor

Dec 21 2014, 9:01pm

Post #15 of 216 (3348 views)
    Shortcut
         Hey Dragonrnwb I don't think we've met [In reply to]  

But I have decided I already like you're post a lot cause I agree 100% and thought it was funny writing as well. A bipolar Prozac deprived Elf? ShockedShocked
    Have seen you writing in the last TA as well. Welcome welcome! Hope you stick around like our latest fellow Thralls have Smile

(This post was edited by VValar on Dec 21 2014, 9:03pm)

Dragonrnbw
    Rivendell

Dec 21 2014, 9:05pm

Post #16 of 216 (3342 views)
    Shortcut
         Thank you all [In reply to]  

Thank you all for the warm welcome! Smile
    I have been...Lurking foir a long time but usually don't post. I am so long winded I usually give up 1/2 post! Tongue I must say I have been having some fun today and last night! Sly I am looking forward to getting to know you all better! Smile
    I also LOVE the pictures and gifs! Heart Such talent!

VValar
    Gondor

Dec 21 2014, 9:06pm

Post #17 of 216 (3338 views)
    Shortcut
         Cool new avatar Partyelk [In reply to]  

Though a bit sad Unsure But still, it has Pretty! on it so I like it a lot.

You're screenname had me wondering though, with the Party Elk gone and all where will you be sitting from now on?

Me85
    Rivendell

Dec 21 2014, 9:30pm

Post #18 of 216 (3309 views)
    Shortcut
         no trouble here... [In reply to]  

I agree with every word you said except that i do like thranduil's backstory.

Dragonrnbw
    Rivendell

Dec 21 2014, 10:15pm

Post #19 of 216 (3316 views)
    Shortcut
         I would like [In reply to]  

I would like Thranduil's back story if it was better explained! LOL! Tongue At this point with the information we know it doesn't work.. timeline wise and ages (as in Legolas age at the time of battle etc..)..also there are some HUGE holes in it that don't make sense. Maybe they can fix that with more information but I don't see how. Frown (But like I said I already posted my issues on that so I won't do it again! Smile)
    I personally would have rather seen the necklace belonging to Thranduil's Mother. She wore it and he was getting it fixed or something like that. It would solve a lot of the 'time' issues. It would also be a piece that was familiar and remembered by Thranduil's people. It would put more importance on it and value. (not wealth value)

On_the_partyelk
    Lorien

Dec 21 2014, 10:19pm

Post #20 of 216 (3291 views)
    Shortcut
         Sad beauty [In reply to]  

Thanks, and yes, it's sad. :( Sad and beautiful at the same.

That is a good question actually. I'd like to sit on the party throne then. But I think there'll be another elk, still, the original will never be forgotten.

The fortunes of the world will rise and fall, but here in this kingdom we will endure!

Eruvandi
    Tol Eressea

Dec 21 2014, 10:26pm

Post #21 of 216 (3301 views)
    Shortcut
         I doubt she thought it through at all. Pure emotion. No logic. [In reply to]  

She really seems like a young, naive, impulsive and "more dangerous, less wise" elf. I mean really, did she think it through? What did she think was going to happen? You're really going to kill your king, the father of legolas and the person who took you in as an orphan because he wants to protect his people?

"Less wise, more dangerous" is a good way to put it I think. I don't think she thought what she was doing through at all, as she was having a purely emotional reaction to hearing that Kili was in a very dangerous situation and no one was going to help.

I don't want to say her actions were showing her lack of maturity because, as Lurker pointed out elsewhere, the fact that she was appointed as Captain of the Guard at such a young age suggests that she had a maturity beyond her years. However, I think it did have a lot to do with her lack of actual worldly experience outside of Mirkwood. I mean, as far as we know, she's been very sheltered her entire life because even before Thranduil gave the order to close the boarders, it seems that the Mirkwood elves pretty much kept to themselves anyway, with the exception of Laketown. There's no way to say for sure without asking the filmmakers, but I figure although Tauriel had great experience with combat she may have had little to no experience with even leaving Mirkwood, much less something as big as a full blown war.

Outside of her parents being killed by orcs she probably had little to no experience with the prospect of losing someone she loved to violence like this. Also, as young as she was supposed to have been when her parents died, she would have felt that grief differently, because young children experience grief differently than adults. Then, add onto all of this the fact that she probably didn't have a chance to even try to stop what happened to her parents, but now she could very well stop Kili from dying by taking some sort of action and I think she basically lost her wits and acted out of pure, raw emotion. No logic involved at all.

It's really quite sad when you think about it.Unsure

vanima ephel
    Rivendell

Dec 21 2014, 10:29pm

Post #22 of 216 (3305 views)
    Shortcut
         I've only managed to see BOFA once so far... [In reply to]  

Yesterday. And I'm afraid I'm already losing track the order of events, so I may contradict myself completely later on, but right now...

Looking at just the scene of Tauriel drawing her bow on Thranduil: Hadn't she learned he'd banished her before this scene? If that's the case, she was taking a stand against her ex-king, who is also the guy who told her she wasn't good enough for his son, Legolas (whom he knew to be interested in her), and that it was her responsibility to disappoint said son besides. (And, obviously, he was also planning to abandon the Dwarves and Men to a horrible fate. I'm sure she's foremost thinking of Kili, but there's also Tilda and Sigrid and Bain, children she'd risked her own life to save when she could have easily saved herself.)

I don't really think she would have injured Legolas's dad (though I don't blame him at all for making short work of her bow) but I can see why she would think he has no love in him, as he was willing to work against his own son's possible wants in that area. (I'm not counting the quote from Phillipa as a reason to blame Tauriel for the misunderstandings in this bit, as nobody is given that hint till it's all over.)

And, based on what was said in DoS, wasn't she supposed to be forgiven if she returned to Thranduil with Legolas? (Legolas didn't mention the EE timetable, and I'm doubting he believed Thranduil would start banishing if even he hadn't made it back yet.) So Thranduil banished her while not really knowing the circumstance for either of them not showing? It makes me think he was of a mind to banish her anyway - without good reason - though she would have left before he gave the order for no one to leave.

~~~
    Again, I may take all this back if I have my sequence of events out of order, but I still feel the need to defend her actions a bit, as I'm sure she's feeling as strongly as Thranduil is - she's the one stuck in the #@&*! Love Triangle. (I really hate love triangles.) And the only thing in this movie to disappoint me more than the way Tauriel was handled... was the way Thranduil was handled. All that back story for him that's supposed to make him more sympathetic? Yeah, it's either not there or not likely to make a difference to most people this late in the game. Unsure

"I dissent, even at the risk of being held incorrect or not sober."

Eruvandi
    Tol Eressea

Dec 21 2014, 10:41pm

Post #23 of 216 (3283 views)
    Shortcut
         *runs into gorgeous elf pic* Oof! [In reply to]  

*THUD*

Wow, that's a great gift, VValar! Leggy and Thrandy in armor at the same time, in the same place! Be still my palpitating heart, I'm not sure it can handle the gorgeousness! *swoons*SmileLaughHeartAngelic

Eruvandi
    Tol Eressea

Dec 21 2014, 10:49pm

Post #24 of 216 (3270 views)
    Shortcut
         Yep, Gandalf totally caught him! [In reply to]  

Did you notice how right after Thranduil's eye-roll, Gandalf looks right at him, sees he's not listening, pauses for half a moment and then says his next line more forcefully to get Thranduil's attention back? Lol!

BlackFox
    Half-elven

Dec 21 2014, 11:15pm

Post #25 of 216 (3327 views)
    Shortcut
         I find this quote much more interesting in regard to Thranduil and Legolas' relationship [In reply to]  

Some have argued that there is an unexplained tension between the two in BOFA. I quite agree. Tauriel is definitely one of the causes, but it goes deeper. Which brings me to the notion about Legolas' mother. "She died saving her child." This, I think, could be the explanation as to why there is a certain coldness to Legolas in his interaction with his father - it's, imo, easy to see how the fact that Legolas' mother died saving her child (regardless of how it exactly happened) could have resulted in a shadow left hanging over the father and son and their relationship.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.