The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
North America opening weekend estimates: $56.22M

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Dec 21 2014, 4:22pm

Post #1 of 13 (893 views)
Shortcut
North America opening weekend estimates: $56.22M Can't Post

It seems to have had a pretty healthy Saturday increase. The weekend numbers are pretty good, better than what i expected. A good rebound after that very frontloaded Wednesday and hefty Thursday drop. Seems like more people have opted to wait till the weekend for their first taste of BOFA compared to the LOTR movies (except for the hardcore fans).

Matching DOS in totals is possible provided it shows good holds in the coming days and weeks.

(This post was edited by Estel78 on Dec 21 2014, 4:23pm)

Glorfindela
Valinor

Dec 21 2014, 4:34pm

Post #2 of 13 (537 views)
Shortcut
So for North America [In reply to] Can't Post

…for the days since its release, how much would that work out at?

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Dec 21 2014, 4:35pm

Post #3 of 13 (527 views)
Shortcut
Around 90-91 [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile Very solid number.

"You cannot find peace by avoiding life"

Glorfindela
Valinor

Dec 21 2014, 4:38pm

Post #4 of 13 (498 views)
Shortcut
Neat [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you.

demnation
Rohan

Dec 21 2014, 4:57pm

Post #5 of 13 (495 views)
Shortcut
Hmm it even managed to outdo DOS's [In reply to] Can't Post

five day by five percent. Hopeful now that it will at least break 250 mil, hopefully 275.

"It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succour of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields that we know, so that those who live after may have clean earth to till. What weather they shall have is not ours to rule." Gandalf, "The Last Debate."

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Dec 21 2014, 5:12pm

Post #6 of 13 (470 views)
Shortcut
BoxOffice [In reply to] Can't Post

Has done way better than I thought. I honestly thought there would be a drop off with all the critics here etc. Good job. I am so glad to see it!

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

Avandel
Half-elven

Dec 21 2014, 6:22pm

Post #7 of 13 (429 views)
Shortcut
Holiday B.O. Explosion: ‘Five Armies’ Seizes $90M+ Over Five Days – Sunday AM Update [In reply to] Can't Post

http://deadline.com/...e-museum-1201331370/

Sunday, 8:43AM: (Refresh for updates) Happy days are here again at the box office. Warner Bros. and industry analysts are both seeing The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies with a Wednesday through Sunday domestic cume $90.6M and a FSS of $56.2M. 3D accounted for 49% of the gross with IMAX repping 15% or $13.6M over five days, and $7.7M over three. Through its first five days, Five Armies beats The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug, which though a Friday bow, made $86.1M, but comes in lower than The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey which made $100.2M.

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Dec 21 2014, 6:54pm

Post #8 of 13 (394 views)
Shortcut
Foreign (without North America) total after two weekends $265m [In reply to] Can't Post

It's less than both AUJ and DOS at the same point in time ($288.5m, $278.4m) but it's not exactly apples and apples since BOFA opened in a few countries a week later.

(This post was edited by Estel78 on Dec 21 2014, 6:55pm)

Glorfindela
Valinor

Dec 21 2014, 6:55pm

Post #9 of 13 (400 views)
Shortcut
OK, $355 million worldwide now [In reply to] Can't Post

I posted the figure above but was told to re-post it – here I presume.

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Dec 21 2014, 7:48pm

Post #10 of 13 (348 views)
Shortcut
Some breakdown by country [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.forbes.com/...s-to-355m-worldwide/

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Dec 21 2014, 8:07pm

Post #11 of 13 (304 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for that article [In reply to] Can't Post

Interesting. it's up pretty big on intial release, dropping slightly the second week out but still very very solid.

I did not expect at all 90M North America and am glad to see if's north of what was expected. I think worldwide the file is going to do very well indeed. It is frontloaded so we'll see how well it does during the weeks to come but very very outstanding start.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

Eruonen
Half-elven

Dec 21 2014, 9:12pm

Post #12 of 13 (275 views)
Shortcut
Gods and Kings really dropped off....$8.1 million [In reply to] Can't Post

http://variety.com/...-million-1201384709/

BOFA $90.6 Million

(This post was edited by Eruonen on Dec 21 2014, 9:13pm)

Bombadil
Half-elven

Dec 21 2014, 10:03pm

Post #13 of 13 (249 views)
Shortcut
It's like the Little Engine THAT Could? [In reply to] Can't Post

Cugging up HILL ..".I Think I can..I Think I can..I THINK I CAN."
........... ............... ............... .............

"The next big market will be Australia, which gets the film on December 26th,
along with Poland, Argentina, and Trinidad
over the same general period."

quote from Forbes

Cool

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.