The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
World Hobbit Project film audience survey

telain
Rohan

Dec 21 2014, 4:08pm

Post #1 of 13 (1845 views)
Shortcut
World Hobbit Project film audience survey Can't Post

It has been an Age since I have posted to TheOneRing and I can say there is definitely something missing from my life, even amidst the new teaching position with 5 new classes and committees and research, and, well, you get the idea.

So, given my previous work with LoTR and TORn, I was contacted by Martin Barker at the University of Aberystwyth to contribute to, potentially, the world's largest film audience project to date. A project you may very well be interested in: The World Hobbit Project. I have included a description from the project leaders below:

thank you, all, for taking the time, and I hope to be back soon...

telain

A decade ago, the films of The Lord of the Rings presented Tolkien-lovers with a dilemma. What would Peter Jackson’s films do to these long-loved books? What would he cut, what would he change? How would he visualise things? Would he capture at least some of the spirit of the various characters, their fears and challenges? Films are so different from books – but maybe he might at least get a new generation reading them? And so on. Back in 2003, 25,000 of you told us your thoughts on the films, in your responses to our Lord of the Rings audience project.

Now, a decade later, Jackson is back with his version of The Hobbit. And the final, climactic part is released this December. We’ve already seen how he has been working to expand one book into three films: new characters, situations … and more links to Tolkien’s “legendarium”, the world of stories about Sauron, Mordor, and the Ring.

From this December, we are hoping to gather as many responses from audiences around the world, in the most ambitious research project of this kind ever undertaken. Research groups in 46 countries, working in over 30 languages, will be asking people to complete an online survey which can help us understand what different kinds of audiences make of films – and of stories – of this kind. We’ve asked the Tolkien Society to help us reach all of you who have an interest and investment in Tolkien’s world.

Please, go to www.worldhobbitproject.org once you have seen the final film and register your responses and thoughts there. And tell others about this. We are entirely independent of Jackson and New Line Cinema, and we are doing this with minimal financial support (just enough to cover the technical costs of the website and multi-language questionnaire).

BlackFox
Half-elven

Dec 21 2014, 4:38pm

Post #2 of 13 (1631 views)
Shortcut
Done! // [In reply to] Can't Post

macfalk
Valinor

Dec 21 2014, 5:45pm

Post #3 of 13 (1624 views)
Shortcut
Done and done // [In reply to] Can't Post

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

Brethil
Half-elven

Dec 21 2014, 6:03pm

Post #4 of 13 (1628 views)
Shortcut
*waves* Hello there, Telain AvatarLost! [In reply to] Can't Post

Good to see you - by Eru you sound busy! Survey done.

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Dec 22 2014, 11:51am

Post #5 of 13 (1604 views)
Shortcut
Done. // [In reply to] Can't Post

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

VeArkenstone
Lorien

Dec 22 2014, 9:54pm

Post #6 of 13 (1593 views)
Shortcut
Done. [In reply to] Can't Post

Please, call me Ve.

telain
Rohan

Dec 22 2014, 11:23pm

Post #7 of 13 (1591 views)
Shortcut
*waves back* Maybe this year... [In reply to] Can't Post

...I will find my Avatar. Great to see you, too!

telain
Rohan

Dec 22 2014, 11:29pm

Post #8 of 13 (1592 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

I will keep the Boards updated as to how the survey is going, but it will be up for a while to make sure that people in countries where the movie premieres later will get ample time to contribute.

cheers!

Nira
Lorien

Dec 23 2014, 9:26am

Post #9 of 13 (1587 views)
Shortcut
Done! :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

"Why, to think of it, we're in the same tale still! It's going on. Don't the great tales never end?" -Samwise

Holly Hobbit
Bree

Dec 26 2014, 9:23pm

Post #10 of 13 (1569 views)
Shortcut
Done! [In reply to] Can't Post

From one researcher to another... :) (although technically I am a researcher-in-training...)

Best of luck to you! Can't wait to see the results.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 28 2014, 1:27am

Post #11 of 13 (1567 views)
Shortcut
You Bet! :) Good Luck! // [In reply to] Can't Post

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - May 15, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Dec 29 2014, 4:51pm

Post #12 of 13 (1564 views)
Shortcut
Done! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm interested to see the results!

Call me Rem, and remember, not all who ramble are lost...Uh...where was I?

telain
Rohan

Jan 23 2015, 6:37pm

Post #13 of 13 (1546 views)
Shortcut
Update! [In reply to] Can't Post

I am here to report that The World Hobbit Project has topped 27,500 responses! Thank you all at TORn who have participated.

The survey is open until May, so don't feel as though you or your Hobbit-viewing friends have missed out!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.