Thranduil Appreciation Thread Part XXVIII
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Dec 21 2014, 1:54am

Post #176 of 208 (1646 views)
Shortcut
     Just have to say this: SQUEEEEEE [In reply to]  

HeartOh my... we should have had the defining moment of Thranduil deciding to engage after all. All we we got were the aftermath or the outcome of his decisionsFrown Elves jumping over the Dwarves to go at the orcs, his appearance and aid-bringing to Dale. And where is the big showcase of the greatest swordsman/warrior in Middle-earth?CrazyUnimpressed

"I'll say dark and gritty, which, with the Elvenking, translates as Hot and Sexy. Cool" - vanima ephel

I fancy myself an ME BFF (Book/Film Fan) Smile
(Aaaaand a gushy Thranduil fangurl before The Hobbit movies; still a gushy Thranduil fangurl through them. Laugh)

HeartThranduil Appreciation. Threadcount: XXVIII
I | II | III | IV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII | XVIII | XIX | XX | XXI | XXII | XXIII | XXIV | XXV | XXVI | XXVII

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBotFA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======
Middle-earth dispatches out of the lurkmirk

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Dec 21 2014, 2:00am

Post #177 of 208 (1634 views)
Shortcut
     methinks [In reply to]  

...OT and funny that i was about to post about the same things you mentioned... but yes, I was wondering about the lovely stills/vlog stuff we got early on that seemed to be in the same location. Suspect we might only know for sure with the extras in the EE... if thatFrown

I would venture to say that hawt sword draw (*THUD*)) though, seemed like something that happened between Thranduil getting thrown from Bubba (poor deer), and the confrontation between him and Tauriel. That LOOK in the HR poster, if I were the betting sort, I'd wager it's at the point when he decides to actually engage, so before the Dale carnage?

Regardless... MORE ThranduilHeartHeartHeartHeartHeart dammit!

"I'll say dark and gritty, which, with the Elvenking, translates as Hot and Sexy. Cool" - vanima ephel

(Aaaaand a gushy Thranduil fangurl before The Hobbit movies; still a gushy Thranduil fangurl through them. Laugh)

I | II | III | IV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII | XVIII | XIX | XX | XXI | XXII | XXIII | XXIV | XXV | XXVI | XXVII

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBotFA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Dec 21 2014, 2:01am

Post #178 of 208 (1635 views)
Shortcut
     LoL [In reply to]  

In Reply To
I think that first pic should be titled "Crouching Thranduil, Hidden Elf"!Wink

And utter MFE!HeartAngelic

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Dec 21 2014, 2:04am

Post #179 of 208 (1637 views)
Shortcut
     *SQUEE* OH... thank you so much for this VValar! [In reply to]  

Just... *wordlessly thud*...

This is perfect! Now all we need is for some talented person to imcorporate audio and make a proper vid of itHeartAngelic

*happily SAVES*

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Dec 21 2014, 2:07am

Post #180 of 208 (1641 views)
Shortcut
     Pretty! Decor indeed [In reply to]  

Thanks, marielSmile

=======

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Dec 21 2014, 2:48am

Post #181 of 208 (1637 views)
Shortcut
     Great gifs! [In reply to]  

The background on those is so beautiful! Almost as beautiful as Thranduil himself. Angelic

"The skies don't seem to be as dark as usual
The stars seem brighter than they've been before
And deep within I feel my soul is stirring
As though my hope has been restored.

The shepherds say they've heard the voice of angels
Confirming rumors spread across the land
That a child protected well from Herod's anger
Is our Father's Son and the Son of Man.

Love is raining down on the world tonight
There's a presence here I can tell
God is in us, God is for us, God is with us, Emanuel."
~Amy Grant "God is With Us"

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Dec 21 2014, 2:55am

Post #182 of 208 (1621 views)
Shortcut
     Nice! [In reply to]  

Thranduil...so...pretty...can't...handle...the gorgeousness! *THUD*

Also, my temptation to draw him myself is growing but I'm afraid it wouldn't be that good. We'll have to wait and see what happens I guess. Evil

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Dec 21 2014, 3:02am

Post #183 of 208 (1636 views)
Shortcut
     *waves* Hi Dragonrnbw. You're not alone [In reply to]  

Welcome, and thanks so much for articulating these thoughts. I've often wanted to write up my thoughts, but gave up because well... anyway, I agree with almost everything you say, so thank you again for doing it.

In Reply To
Let me start off saying I have great respect for PJ and Company. I loved the LOTR and walked into the Hobbit with the same love. Yet, I shed no tears..I found the story rushed and memorable scenes I remembered so fondly from the books gone. I am also confused how someone who paid such close attentions to details in the clothing, sets, and props have such crazy holes in the plot/ story???

I have the same conflicting frustrations and affection with the story development and treatment.

Sure, LotR is not perfect either but there seemed a better awareness of going closer to book than not where there's a choice. This I believe boils down, in part, to actual life-long fans in the form of Christopher Lee and Ian McKellan feeling strongly and actually speaking up for changes and decisions that's pro-books.

And sure TH is much less substantial as a book for a trilogy-so understandably the team decided to mine LotR appendices and co-opt stuff from copyrighted materials they can't touch directly. But when they decide to wing it and free-style parts of the story, and especially to depart from the actual narrative, and there's no Christoper Lee or Ian McKellan to reign in their wilder tendencies, that's where the trouble starts, and things get into a quagmire.

In Reply To
– I love Lee Pace. He did an awesome job. Now he needs to stop doing interviews and I need to stop reading what he says about Thranduil.
Lee goes on and on about Thranduil being so old. Then he states Thranduil is 3000 years old. OK 3000 years old is YOUNG in the lives of the Eldar. Many are much older than him! In fact he is not much older than Arwen and her brothers.
- Also add to it Legolas is supposed to be 2931 at the time of LOTR. His son is almost as old as him!
- If he is 3000 during the Hobbit then he is tender 52 years old in War of the last Alliance – too young in my opinion.

- Also in one interview he states Thranduil was alive in the First Age…WHAT?????Crazy

Yup. Again, ditto. The first time I heard LP say it, I was going "Woah..." and the thought about, Legolas' movie age popped into my head too. I remember going "What's this guy on?" But I've changed my mind since. I can't claim to know the inner workings of the team nor to know anyone or have any inside knowledge, but this strange problem we see here I place squarely on PJ and PB. Please bear in mind, I'm not trying to defend LP just cos, but from the interviews I've seen/read of him, for TH and other stuff, I get the feeling he takes his work really seriously and treats all his roles with respect and research the heck out of them, and he seemed to be conscious of being the spokesman for his roles. Aside from the age thing, he's shown himself to be quite the geek in all things Thranduil. So I think that as any good student would, and in the face of nothing concrete on the fact, LP would not pull out any random number but had probably taken the number PB/PJ gave him as Thranduil's age.

One personal note: I have Thranduil pegged as a FA Elf, just from the experience needed to not only get through the WoLA, but also suddenly having to become commander and continue from thence to the throne back at home, and also his penchant for underground fortresses.Smile

In Reply To
This plot/story has more holes than Swiss cheese!!!Unsure

Again, Yup! Really, the rest of your post is very thoughtful and well thought-out, and I find myself nodding, in agreement, not sleepiness. Bravo! I'd just to add
- like you say, money talks. Even if the Mirkwood Elves were not viewed in a different light, I imagine that Thranduil is enough of a savvy ruler to understand the power of economics. Besides, hey the Mirkwood Elves are the same sort as Lothlorien Elves. If Mirkwood has problems with image, so do the Lothy ones, to a certain extent. The gap is of course made up for by Galadriel and the power of Nenya. But the filling of that gap is really down to the personal glamour of
Galadriel and her Ring more than any real benefit to the rustic peasants in Lothlorien, imo. Going back to Thranduil, I cannot believe he would throw his people at a venture that seemed to be defined as just a personal quest reclaiming a memento either.
- the wifey bit. Again, bizarre. I suspect this is a curious side-effect of the so-called initiative for female representation. After making one warrior female Elf, for whom they cannalised time (along with Legolas who imo, has too much screentime too) that should be devoted to Thranduil, and then wasting all that setup to have her end as a trope, Thranduil's wife was trotted out as another sally at romanticising the notion of empowerment for girls in the narrative. Again, bizarre, because there was no hint of her ghost since the start until Legolas mentioned his mother in BotFA. Another "Wha...." moment. Poor story-telling again, imo.

In Reply To
I just don’t get this entire story line. It makes no sense to me! I sometimes wonder if the reason they don’t tell us more is because it has so many holes in it. Just like the line where he tells him to find Strider. Now we all know he is only 10 years old and does not have that name yet. I am pretty sure he did that to clue in people who haven’t read the books. I wish PJ wouldn’t dumb up the fans…we know it doesn’t fit..let the non-obsessed fans look it up rather than toss something in that isn’t correct! Frown

I have nothing to add, except to cite this (emphasis mine), and say this: this is the perfect piece of evidence of the team winging it as they like when they feel like it.

I definitely have my problems with Thranduil's character-arc in the movie, but honestly, I like the dangerous fey LP projects as this MAGNIFICENT ELF, which to me, does evoke FA!Elf for me. There was little enough of the Elvenking in the book that for one, I'm happy for the room to create. Sound contradictory I know. But even with the confusing and strange and senseless creative decisions PJ made about Thranduil, the ambivalance in what we were given of his character made him more real and solid than the others we've got throughout the ME movies. Thranduil is the best Elf of the ME movie-verse, to me, not only because of his perfect beauty, but because of his solidness as an imperfect entity of ME.

There are moments that I caught that hint at the potential, if only there was some proper scene setup and proper progression. For example, Thranduil's grand entrance. His arrival in Dale with aid clearly shows compassion, albeit tempered with pragmatism (Dale is a great staging area for the chain-gang that would be needed to empty the obscenely overflowing glittery in Halls of Erebor). His immediate disclaimer to Bard about any altruism is quite telling to me - Thranduil abhors misrepresentation and disingenuity - which informs the confrontation scene with Thorin in DoS. But it's too short, and there's too little of it!

Also, it's ridiculous that the writers talk so much about Thranduil's backstory informing what happens in the movie when so much of it is not even evident, to the point of if you're not a fan who reads/watches interviews and the paraphernalia, you simply DON'T KNOW. That, to me is a serious failing of not just movie-making, but story-telling. Backstories outside of the delivered product should enhance, augment, not be requisite for "getting it". The movie-makers seemed at times confused about who their audience is, or even what medium they're working in. I suspect this may be partly due to meddling studios with an eye on the profile margin. The bizarre focus on linking TH to LotR in some of those trailers and PR stuff is evidence enough, imo.

So please make room on the bandwagon, because there's at least one other person here who has a ticket on itSmileUnimpressed

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Dec 21 2014, 3:04am

Post #184 of 208 (1633 views)
Shortcut
     *waves* Hey Eruvandi! [In reply to]  

In Reply To
Also, my temptation to draw him myself is growing but I'm afraid it wouldn't be that good. We'll have to wait and see what happens I guess. Evil

Do it!Smile

And OT: How long do you have to be online? You reckon we could bring this to threadlock between the two of us?TongueCool

=======

(This post was edited by Lurker in the Mirk on Dec 21 2014, 3:05am)

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Dec 21 2014, 3:39am

Post #185 of 208 (1621 views)
Shortcut
     Questions for those who have seen BotFa twice or more [In reply to]  

How many times so far?

How has your perception of Thranduil and his character arc changed?

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Dec 21 2014, 7:06am

Post #186 of 208 (1650 views)
Shortcut
     Vids: Hero Complex Q&A with Richard Armitage and Lee Pace on Dec 11th, 2014 [spoilers] [In reply to]  

Part 1: http://youtu.be/b3EUMUVJXN4
Part 2: http://youtu.be/mDro8KDdSyg
Source

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Dec 21 2014, 7:35am

Post #187 of 208 (1626 views)
Shortcut
     Vid: Lee Pace and Richard Armitage Apple Q&A [In reply to]  

www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzMpBUClCmY

=======

mariel
Lorien

Dec 21 2014, 8:19am

Post #188 of 208 (1611 views)
Shortcut
     Standing in line behind Lurker [In reply to]  

Hi Dragonrnbw.Smile I'd like to add my thanks for expressing so eloquently the same issues I've had. I don't think I have anything extra to add to what both you and Lurker have said, but you'd better make another space on that bandwagon!

mariel
Lorien

Dec 21 2014, 8:42am

Post #189 of 208 (1598 views)
Shortcut
     Agreeing with your comments too [In reply to]  

...plus the below is one of my gripes

Also, it's ridiculous that the writers talk so much about Thranduil's backstory informing what happens in the movie when so much of it is not even evident, to the point of if you're not a fan who reads/watches interviews and the paraphernalia, you simply DON'T KNOW. That, to me is a serious failing of not just movie-making, but story-telling. Backstories outside of the delivered product should enhance, augment, not be requisite for "getting it". The movie-makers seemed at times confused about who their audience is, or even what medium they're working in. I suspect this may be partly due to meddling studios with an eye on the profile margin. The bizarre focus on linking TH to LotR in some of those trailers and PR stuff is evidence enough, imo.

eg Reference the whole necklace plot. The white gems don't even make it into the TE of the AUJ and are only referenced in DOS as "white gems in the mountain that I too desire" without ever giving any significance as to what they represent. Then in BotFA Thorin picks up a random necklace and refers to it as gems of Lasgalen (or words to that effect) - again Lasgalen has never been mentioned before. Thranduil himself never refers to the gems he desires being in the form of a necklace....

Also regarding the time lines of the making of said necklace in the first place. Are we to assume the necklace was commissioned whilst his wife was still alive and that she subsequently died when Legolas was too young to remember her? If so, considering Legolas is older than Tauriel and she is 600, those dwarves took an awful long time making it!

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Dec 21 2014, 9:26am

Post #190 of 208 (1605 views)
Shortcut
     Addendum: A quickie fix-it ficlet because ARGH! I can't stand it =P [In reply to]  

(Nope, I do not agree with the ending scene between Thranduil and Legolas, at allCrazy)

In the dimness, the blades upon the wall shone as cold shards, as the shadow figure moved with confidence within the royal armoury.

"Looking for something?" asked a voice out of the dark.

Startled, the figure turned toward the voice. "Adar!"

Thranduil had already lighted a candle. By its light, he looked upon his son, who had the grace to be embarrassed at being caught skulking in his private armoury. "Well?"

Painfully aware of how disreputable he looked, Legolas mustered what little pride he felt and composed himself. Then striding past his father, the young elf-lord reached for the pair of white knives on the ornate stand. "Your counsel was false," he said evenly.

"I know," the Elvenking said in that languid tone Legolas was too familiar with.

"You knew?" Legolas spun around, facing his father, immaculate in his night robes. "Why then did you send me on this futile quest?" Legolas demanded, his grip on his precious knives unconsciously tightened.

Thranduil looked long at his travel-worn son. " I knew, only after it was pointed out to me." He sighed. "Suffice it to say my trust was... sorely misplaced."

"Someone gave you false information?" Legolas was incredulous. Few were those from without the Forest who had the trust of the Elvenking.

"I will not say more but that it involved a device that shows things that were, and things that are, and things that yet may be."

"And what went awry, that I spent months on a fruitless quest?" Legolas asked, strangely calm.

"The note on the report that said 'things that yet may be' was left out," the king said pleasantly.

"And who gave you this report?" asked Legolas politely, as he began cleaning his knives.

"It is of no moment now. Come, you will tell me of your adventures, and how you managed without weapons or supplies."

Legolas sighed. "It was not easy, Adar," he said wearily.

"I am well aware of that," Thranduil assured him. "You did not expect special dispensation then, surely you do not expect it now."

Legolas looked at his father, his eyebrows raised in question.

Thranduil beckoned and he followed his tall father out of the armoury. "Mithrandir sent word. There is a creature ranging about the Realm he wants captured. After breakfast, you will join in the search."

There was a few hours yet to sunrise. Legolas sheathed his knives, content with their familiar heft upon his back. Then he drew a breath and waited for his father to shut the armoury. "Yes, my lord."

*runs off to hide under covers*

=======

(This post was edited by Lurker in the Mirk on Dec 21 2014, 9:39am)

mariel
Lorien

Dec 21 2014, 9:43am

Post #191 of 208 (1588 views)
Shortcut
     Nice! [In reply to]  

Enjoyed that. Pity PJ didn't hire you as one of the script writers Laugh

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Dec 21 2014, 3:36pm

Post #192 of 208 (1562 views)
Shortcut
     Went to sleep right after I posted [In reply to]  

I was hoping we would've been able to reach thread lock yesterday but Saturdays are always busier than I think they'll be. Evil Maybe we'll get there today? Only 10 posts to go after all. I'll have to start looking for an OP pic in case it happens during my day and no one else beats me to it.Smile

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Dec 21 2014, 3:45pm

Post #193 of 208 (1536 views)
Shortcut
     Love his smirk [In reply to]  

Although Dain apparently didn't! CrazyWink Nice to actually see something of a smile from him anyway.

Dragonrnbw
Rivendell

Dec 21 2014, 3:57pm

Post #194 of 208 (1576 views)
Shortcut
     Thanks Lurker! =) [In reply to]  

Aww Thanks for such a warm welcome! SmileHeart I shall make plenty of room! It is good to know I am not alone in this!! I was starting to wonder why more haven’t squawked!
While I loved parts of the film – mainly Thranduil – as said before I think Lee did a great job – I also feel cheated! =( I was so looking forward to seeing and learning more about the Mirkwood elves!!!

So adding to my original rant and expanding on your thoughts-

<< Yup. Again, ditto. The first time I heard LP say it, I was going "Woah..." and the thought about, Legolas' movie age popped into my head too. I remember going "What's this guy on?" But I've changed my mind since. I can't claim to know the inner workings of the team nor to know anyone or have any inside knowledge, but this strange problem we see here I place squarely on PJ and PB. Please bear in mind, I'm not trying to defend LP just cos, but from the interviews I've seen/read of him, for TH and other stuff, I get the feeling he takes his work really seriously and treats all his roles with respect and research the heck out of them, and he seemed to be conscious of being the spokesman for his roles. Aside from the age thing, he's shown himself to be quite the geek in all things Thranduil. So I think that as any good student would, and in the face of nothing concrete on the fact, LP would not pull out any random number but had probably taken the number PB/PJ gave him as Thranduil's age. >>

I agree Lee took what age PJ and PB gave him. I remember in an interview Lee had said he hadn’t read all the books. I am somewhat disappointed in him about this.Frown I would have thought if he didn’t read all the books and material Tolkien has out there – he would at least read all Tolkien said about the elves. If Lee HAD I think he would have added much more and could have helped steer PB away from that awful back story!
I think he did an awesome job with what he was given. I loved Thranduil’s eye rolls and looks. I had no issues with this different twist on the character. I am just bothered that they could have had the same effect and emotional response without making up some goofy and unbelievable back story. They could have remained true to the Tolkien spirt and still have Thranduil. Smile

Lee said that it makes sense that Thranduil’s coldness comes from pain. I agree. And Tolkien GAVE us that source of pain and backstory! His father and people being slaughtered at the WoLA! It’s RIGHT THERE! No need to make up dragons burning alive Legolas’ mother!! *bangs head on wall* Tolkien set it up for us…why on Middle Earth didn’t PB and PJ use that????Mad

<< One personal note: I have Thranduil pegged as a FA Elf, just from the experience needed to not only get through the WoLA, but also suddenly having to become commander and continue from thence to the throne back at home, and also his penchant for underground fortresses. >>

I too first thought of Thranduil as being born in the FA. (and sometimes I still go back to that thought) After I read the essay on Silvan Princes I changed my mind. It states Thranduil’s father and a handful of elves migrated to the Greenwood..for some reason my gut feels if Thranduil was alive at the time Tolkien would have mentioned him. I also think some of Thranduil’s pain is that he was somewhat a young elf at WoLA. Not 50 but young. I see it as his first MAJOR battle. I picture Thranduil as a fun and happy Prince. Heads to war with a father he adores and admires, friends he has grown up with. Then on the first day of 8 long years he sees the people he holds dear slaughtered in front of him. FrownHe returns home now a King with a huge and heave burden on him. A prince who never wanted and wasn’t ready to be King.
Which plays into my head cannon on why Thranduil didn’t take Legolas with him in the BoFA – he didn’t want his son on the battle field with him. He didn’t want to repeat history.

On a side note…What happened to Thranduil’s Mother??? Curious on what you think about her.

<< Also, it's ridiculous that the writers talk so much about Thranduil's backstory informing what happens in the movie when so much of it is not even evident, to the point of if you're not a fan who reads/watches interviews and the paraphernalia, you simply DON'T KNOW. That, to me is a serious failing of not just movie-making, but story-telling. Backstories outside of the delivered product should enhance, augment, not be requisite for "getting it". The movie-makers seemed at times confused about who their audience is, or even what medium they're working in. I suspect this may be partly due to meddling studios with an eye on the profile margin. The bizarre focus on linking TH to LotR in some of those trailers and PR stuff is evidence enough, imo.>>

AMEN!!!!!!! I almost feel they are scrambling trying to make sense of the goofy story line because they know the true fans are upset. And with good reason! The more duct tape they try to add to stop to leak the more water the let in!! Unimpressed

<< There are moments that I caught that hint at the potential, if only there was some proper scene setup and proper progression>>

Again AMEN!! I feel so much was missed! I am also wondering what happened to things we were told that do not appear in the film. Lee went on and on about what a great battle warrior he is. Ummmm….WHERE?? Yes I see some cool moves but no TIDE TURNER as Lee suggested. In fact I feel the Dwarves kicked more butt than the elves!! Frown

That said I DO think we are missing several scenes and I hope they are in the EE. ( I find it sad that in order to get the entire story we now must rely on EE. It used to be the MOVIE told the story and the EE was just bonus stuff! =( SMH!) Unsure

I think the scene where Thranduil and Tauriel confront each other..when Legolas steps in..Lee’s expression doesn’t fit. The end expression looks as if Thranduil is stricken with something Legolas says. Legolas hit his heart. Per PB Thranduil is well aware of Legolas’ feelings for Tauriel so Legolas standing up for her should be NO surprise. So why the stricken look? I have re-watched the clip and I swear it looks as if it has been cut from when Legolas stops talking to his father to when he turns and leaves. The pause is too long for me with no additional words.
I also think that it must be what Legolas says to his father and his leaving with Tauriel that Thranduil NOW decides to FIGHT. We know he doesn’t leave with his army…PJ and PB leave us kinda hanging there. Does Thranduil just stay there until the battle is finished? Nooo no no no… it doesn’t feel right…what does is that Thranduil makes his decision and then REALLY engages in the battle..turning the tide in Dale. Those are the scenes we saw in VLogs and in magazines that are missing.
So the dwarves are winning on the field by the entrance, Thranduil and men winning in Dale..Thorin takes out the leader..and Boren and the Eagles take out the Raven Hill.

I think PB and PJs take on Thranduil has given and added some positive slants on him. I did like his sassiness with Gandalf. About time someone gave him a hard time and Thranduil was just the one to do it! LOL! I hope to soon write some stories…hopefully they won’t suck! LOL!!

I enjoyed reading your thoughts on Thranduil and that awful back story! SmileI always like to hear different intelligent takes on Thranduil and Tolkien’s Middle Earth. The elves are my favorite topic! (Shocking I know) Cool

While I enjoyed the movie – I’ve seen it twice and will probably go see it one more time – I just feel too many loose ends and holes in certain areas. So much lost potential and so many ignorant mistakes. I may be somewhat unfair..but I do hold PB and PJ to a higher standard. They could have done a heck of a lot better in my opinion! Unsure

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for thou are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

Dragonrnbw
Rivendell

Dec 21 2014, 4:01pm

Post #195 of 208 (1547 views)
Shortcut
     Yep [In reply to]  

<<Also regarding the time lines of the making of said necklace in the first place. Are we to assume the necklace was commissioned whilst his wife was still alive and that she subsequently died when Legolas was too young to remember her? If so, considering Legolas is older than Tauriel and she is 600, those dwarves took an awful long time making it! >>

Not only that but PB and PJ kept saying how Legolas and Tauriel 'grew up' together. Well, IF Legolas is 2931 years old..he was pretty much GROWN by the time Tauriel comes around!Crazy He is literally old enough to be her father!!!!Shocked

I have made room for you too...*hands over a warm cup of tea*Smile

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for thou are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

Me85
Rivendell

Dec 21 2014, 5:26pm

Post #196 of 208 (1572 views)
Shortcut
     thranduil backstory [In reply to]  

Also, it's ridiculous that the writers talk so much about Thranduil's backstory informing what happens in the movie when so much of it is not even evident, to the point of if you're not a fan who reads/watches interviews and the paraphernalia, you simply DON'T KNOW. That, to me is a serious failing of not just movie-making, but story-telling. Backstories outside of the delivered product should enhance, augment, not be requisite for "getting it". The movie-makers seemed at times confused about who their audience is, or even what medium they're working in. I suspect this may be partly due to meddling studios with an eye on the profile margin. The bizarre focus on linking TH to LotR in some of those trailers and PR stuff is evidence enough, imo.>> 

PB said they wanted to surprise the audience with thranduil in the end. She referred to the scenes when he says "what do you know of love? " and " your mother loved you more than life itself". I guess thats why they kept his back story hidden so that when the audience sees those scenes they'll be like wow he isn't just a cold hearted jerk. However, if they really wanted to surprise the audience with thranduil they should have made clear in the movie that those gems he kept talking about belonged to his dead wife. He wasn't just being greedy. It would have changed the whole perspective people (mostly the general audience) have of Thranduil.

PB also said they had more scenes referring to legolas' mother and PJ said the story about the gems would be fleshed out a bit more in the EE.
I really hope he does and that everything will become a bit more clear. Still, it should have been in the TE.

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Dec 21 2014, 5:30pm

Post #197 of 208 (1554 views)
Shortcut
     Lack of Bubba armor [In reply to]  

I had wondered why Bubba didn't have any armor at first too, but like you said, the dwarves and orcs arrived unexpectedly. Thranduil initially thought it was just him, Bard and their respective armies going up against thirteen dwarves who've barricaded themselves in the mountain. That wouldn't have been much of a battle and therefore there was no reason to put armor on Bubba. Poor Bubba.Frown

I figure the only reason Thranduil, Bard and their armies even wore any kind of protection was mostly for the pure intimidation factor and maybe a little bit of concern that Thorin and Company would do something crazy and actually try attacking. Good thing they at least came prepared, or the big battle may have turned out differently.

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Dec 21 2014, 5:37pm

Post #198 of 208 (1542 views)
Shortcut
     Pretty! [In reply to]  

*saves all pics*

I think I've found the pic for the next OP too.Smile

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Dec 21 2014, 5:48pm

Post #199 of 208 (1537 views)
Shortcut
     Good to finally see this [In reply to]  

I'd heard LP was on Today Show at some point but I hadn't been able to watch it at the time. Looks like they had quite a rollicking good time!Smile

Lol on Al Roker, referring to LP's comment on not being a Christmas elf, saying "I wouldn't want to find you on my shelf!" Actually, I think I'd be quite pleased to find Thranduil on my shelf!Wink

Also, even more LOL! on the female reporter who's name I don't know picturing a horse with antlers tied to it's head like the poor doggy in "How the Grinch Stole Christmas!" Now I'm going to picture that every time I hear about Moose the horse!Laugh

Interesting about that cemetery in Oklahoma with a headstone that says "Bilbo" too. I wonder if someone was actually named Bilbo or if it was just a silly thing some Hobbit fan did?

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Dec 21 2014, 5:51pm

Post #200 of 208 (1559 views)
Shortcut
     Such talented people! [In reply to]  

Love the first three pic. Erm...IMO, that last one is a little creepy though. A little too much shadow around the eyes.Crazy

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.