The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
As a PJ Supporter

rangerfromthenorth
Rivendell

Dec 21 2014, 2:49pm

Post #1 of 5 (852 views)
Shortcut
As a PJ Supporter Can't Post

I loved the LoTR movies, in fact that is how I was first introduced to Middle Earth, watching the Fellowship in theaters, I then quickly read all the books. I have been a PJ supporter ever since, but in this last movie I believe PJ jumped the shark. He just threw stuff against the wall to see if it would stick. So many over-top moments that detracted from the story and so many changes that were not helpful, and little to no character development except crazy on drugs thorin....

I left the theater upset at what could have been, I still hold that the LoTR is a supreme work as a trilogy, and the first Hobbit movie was pretty good, but it has been down hill now for a while.

there my venting is done. Perhaps I will like more the next time see, or perhaps I will be even more upset.... who knows.

Not all those who wander are lost

Grand Bob
The Shire

Dec 22 2014, 6:46am

Post #2 of 5 (554 views)
Shortcut
Agree [In reply to] Can't Post

That also sums up my opinion of the situation. My sympathies go out to the cast and crew that gave their heart and soul to this franchise, only to have their work wasted on a substandard screenplay. Just imagine what could have been accomplished with the $750 million spent on this dud.

mangotree
The Shire

Dec 23 2014, 3:14am

Post #3 of 5 (547 views)
Shortcut
well said! [In reply to] Can't Post

I totally agree with what you said!!! after DOS, I have been wondering why PJ changed so much? it seems like there are totally different two PJs, PJ in lotr vs. PJ in hobbit.

Hobbithole
The Shire

Jan 6 2015, 7:45pm

Post #4 of 5 (466 views)
Shortcut
Totally agree! [In reply to] Can't Post

I recently rewatched the LOTR trilogy (EE versions on DVD) and was stunned at how good they still are. I was totally absorbed and taken on an epic journey. By contrast the Hobbit trilogy has gradually got worse and although it has fantastic moments, IMHO Peter Jackson has lost the plot with these films. There is so much in them that is utterly not Tolkieneque. Toilet humour, sexual innuendo, cross dressing, to name but a few missteps. I thought AUJ started out really well and I loved most of it until the Goblin City nonsense chase sequence, but DOS and BOTFA are severely flawed movies where Jackson just couldn't seem to help himself.

It amazes me that there are people on this forum who will defend Jackson's Hobbit trilogy to the hilt as it is far from Tolkien, but hey ho, horses for course I guess?

mangotree
The Shire

Jan 8 2015, 3:53pm

Post #5 of 5 (488 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, [In reply to] Can't Post

I think I agree on what one post said before "PJ has been amazing when he stays close to Tolkien; when he strays and creates his own dialogue or story, it's generally very disappointing."

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.