The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Begging PJ for 48fps on Home Video...

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Dec 20 2014, 7:28pm

Post #1 of 21 (1069 views)
Shortcut
Begging PJ for 48fps on Home Video... Can't Post

You'll be hard pressed to find someone who was more opposed to the filming of these movies in 48 Frames per Second that myself. When it was announced that the movies were being made, I wanted them to be visually identical to the LotR trilogy.

But that was not to be. PJ decided to take advantage of newer technology, both on set and in post production. I hated the news that the movies would be in HFR. It was compared to turning on the "TruMotion" (or countless other names its given depending on the television brand) feature on HDTV, and I also hated the thought of filming in 3D, which would further distance itself from LotR.

The visual appearance of these films has taken some getting used to on my part - but, to my amazement, I have completely fallen in love with the High Frame Rate format. It's been controversial, to say the least. And there are many who flat out HATE it. But I love it, and it gives me the feeling of being immersed in the world - as if a hole has been cut out of the wall in the theater, and I am seeing the real Middle-earth.

Alas, the home video release of these films has featured only the standard 24fps version of the films. I believe this is in part to do with PJ's desire to increase attendance in theaters (by making HFR unique to the theatrical experience) and partly because current video formats, including Blu-ray, do not support 48fps (at least I think I'm right in saying that).

I just hope that there will be some way for PJ to release the HFR version of these films on home video, now that they are done showing in the cinemas (well, almost done). I think the upcoming 4K formats will support 48fps and I'd love to be given the option to see these films as they were intended when watching in the future. It really does create an entirely different experience when watching the films (even though it would be an understatement to say that a fair amount of people do not find that to be a very positive one Tongue).

So, please, Peter - do consider it. Smile

P.S. I hope none of you think about telling me to just turn on Interpolation (aka TruMotion) on my TV - because it is NOT the same thing. Unimpressed

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Dec 20 2014, 7:30pm)

tsmith675
Gondor

Dec 20 2014, 7:34pm

Post #2 of 21 (764 views)
Shortcut
I have still yet to see HFR, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm going tomorrow to see it. The closest theater that supports HFR for me is about 3 hours away. Me and a few friends are traveling that tomorrow to finally see one of these films in the higher frame rate. And I'm so pumped. I may hate it, but I'm so eager to see it in the format it was meant to be seen. I already saw it in 2D last week, as I always do for my first viewing. But I'll finally be able to see it in 48 fps tomorrow. And I couldn't be more excited.

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Dec 20 2014, 7:38pm

Post #3 of 21 (741 views)
Shortcut
Just remember... [In reply to] Can't Post

...you should expect it to be a bit jarring at first. I tell people on their first 48fps experience, to watch (and think of) it less as a movie and more as live action unfolding in front of you. It does take a little getting used to, but if you can go with it - it's amazing. Smile (IMO, of course)

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Dec 20 2014, 7:39pm)

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Dec 20 2014, 7:46pm

Post #4 of 21 (721 views)
Shortcut
Also... [In reply to] Can't Post

...it's good that you saw it in 2D for your first viewing.

This was the first movie I saw in 48fps for my first viewing, and I (even being a fan of the format) was taken extremely aback and did not enjoy the experience as much as I have before. I've since seen it in 2D and then again in 48fps (which was immeasurably more enjoyable). So, for now, I still recommend the standard format for initial viewings.

- Viggo Mortensen

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Dec 20 2014, 7:48pm)

cats16
Half-elven

Dec 20 2014, 7:50pm

Post #5 of 21 (730 views)
Shortcut
HFR was great for the marathon. [In reply to] Can't Post

The prologue of AUJ always looks a bit off, but I know that my eyes are once again adjusting to the difference. Once your eyes have adjusted, though--and I think this time I had forgotten we were at 48 fps by the time Frodo appeared--it's a fantastic experience, IMO.

Of course, I think the more one sees the format, the quicker the adjustment each time. I know the first time I saw AUJ, most of the film had that 'off' feel to it.

By the time we made it to BOTFA, it really felt like any other movie in a theater. Except, it wasn't, of course.

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

(This post was edited by cats16 on Dec 20 2014, 7:51pm)

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Dec 20 2014, 7:56pm

Post #6 of 21 (710 views)
Shortcut
Yes... [In reply to] Can't Post

Even though I enjoyed it immensely on AUJ, I still had to adjust to it a couple of times throughout the movie. I remember things like Radagast and his bunnies, the Eagles, etc. still felt like they were moving a bit too fast.

DoS was magnificent right from the get-go, though, because I'd already gone through the process of "getting used to it". Also, the fact that the movie starts off with a slow-moving sequence helped, as well, I think.

I'm jealous that you got the Marathon in 48fps, though. It wasn't here, so I didn't go - but I'd have loved to see AUJ in 48fps once more.

- Viggo Mortensen

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Dec 20 2014, 7:59pm)

hobbitylass
Bree

Dec 20 2014, 7:57pm

Post #7 of 21 (726 views)
Shortcut
Yes, it looked like you were watching thru a window, that's how real it looked [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know how to describe it any better, it looks like life, not like a movie. It does take getting used to, but it pulls you into the story so completely once you get over that hurdle.

Lissuin
Valinor

Dec 20 2014, 9:32pm

Post #8 of 21 (658 views)
Shortcut
Choice of seat for 48HFR [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm a convert to HFR. Also, I've never been a sit up close to the screen person with 24 frames; always dead center of a large auditorium or last row of a small one. But with HFR I love being about 5 rows back in the center of a sloped floor, practically on eye level with the actors on screen. Friends dragged me into such a row for DOS and it was mesmerising. Eye-level with a dragon - just like Bilbo and Bard. Super! Will do it again next week.

If you find it isn't working for you and the theatre isn't full, you could always move back, but do try it once. And it is good you've already seen it in 24fps; you've got the story - now you can get the feeling of being there. Did I say I'm a convert?Laugh

AshNazg
Gondor

Dec 20 2014, 10:33pm

Post #9 of 21 (633 views)
Shortcut
I'm pretty desperate for WB to at least release the trailer [In reply to] Can't Post

I think WB should release the trailer officially in 48fps on youtube now that it supports it.

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Dec 20 2014, 10:37pm

Post #10 of 21 (627 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd love to have something...anything...from The Hobbit in native 48fps, even if it's only the trailers for the time being. As you say, there is no reason for them not to release them on YouTube now that it supports the format.

- Viggo Mortensen

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Dec 20 2014, 10:40pm)

TheHutt
Gondor

Dec 20 2014, 11:17pm

Post #11 of 21 (629 views)
Shortcut
I doubt 4K UHD will support 48fps [In reply to] Can't Post

...there are even no 4K 48fps projections in theatres, as the bandwidth and the amount of required memory storage are way too high.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Booklet - Custom Booklet Project

Elarie
Grey Havens

Dec 20 2014, 11:22pm

Post #12 of 21 (606 views)
Shortcut
BOTFA has finally converted me to HFR [In reply to] Can't Post

Smaug's attack on Laketown was absolutely spectacular, and as for Smaug himself - amazing. Also, what the poster above said about sitting close to the screen was very true for me - I was in the 4th row in front of a huge screen, and to see a life size, crystal clear, 3D Smaug coming straight at me was worth the trip to the theater, all by itself. And apparently I have adjusted to the HFR, because I loved the way the rest of the movie looked, too.

Gold is the strife of kinsmen,
and fire of the flood-tide,
and the path of the serpent.

(Old Icelandic Fe rune poem)

Glorfindela
Valinor

Dec 20 2014, 11:45pm

Post #13 of 21 (588 views)
Shortcut
But it may not be jarring at all [In reply to] Can't Post

I have loved the 48 HFR format right from the start, and so have all my family, including those not directly related to me, like my brother-in-law. It could be to do with the fact that they are mostly artists and very visual people, I suppose…

In Reply To
...you should expect it to be a bit jarring at first. I tell people on their first 48fps experience, to watch (and think of) it less as a movie and more as live action unfolding in front of you. It does take a little getting used to, but if you can go with it - it's amazing. Smile (IMO, of course)

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Dec 21 2014, 12:04am

Post #14 of 21 (599 views)
Shortcut
Actually it will. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm almost positive that it's reported that the 4K Blu-ray tech will support 48fps. 4K TVs definitely will. Add to that, the Hobbit films won't need to be encoded on the discs in actual 4K resolution anyway, since they were finished in 2K.

- Viggo Mortensen

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Dec 21 2014, 12:17am)

Misty Mountain Hop
Rivendell

Dec 21 2014, 12:24am

Post #15 of 21 (586 views)
Shortcut
I remember seeing this a while back on YouTube actually... [In reply to] Can't Post

Not sure if you've seen this or not, but if you go under settings you can select 720(48fps) or 1080(48fps)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40sMS27Ql_w

"Only, you've never done a hard day's work." - Merry

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Dec 21 2014, 12:28am

Post #16 of 21 (579 views)
Shortcut
That's just... [In reply to] Can't Post

...upconverted to 48fps. It's not native 48fps footage. That would really only come from WB.

- Viggo Mortensen

Misty Mountain Hop
Rivendell

Dec 21 2014, 12:36am

Post #17 of 21 (569 views)
Shortcut
Yeah that's what I figured. [In reply to] Can't Post

It just doesn't have the same effect as true HFR.

"Only, you've never done a hard day's work." - Merry

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 21 2014, 2:51am

Post #18 of 21 (544 views)
Shortcut
Yes, same here. [In reply to] Can't Post

I loved it instantly, and so did the family members I took. It's interesting how varied the reactions are. Must be something in the way different peoples' eyes/brains take in or process information.

Silverlode

Want a LOTR Anniversary footer of your own? Get one here!

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dűm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

cats16
Half-elven

Dec 21 2014, 2:54am

Post #19 of 21 (538 views)
Shortcut
And for some... [In reply to] Can't Post

I suspect for some, it's the 3D that is more of an issue than the frame rate. I know sometimes people know that something isn't looking right, but they aren't sure what it is.

Or, of course, it can be the combination of both, and the resulting image is what unsettles them.

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Dec 21 2014, 3:02am

Post #20 of 21 (539 views)
Shortcut
Well, it's not that I didn't like it... [In reply to] Can't Post

But it did take a couple minutes to adjust. It does initially make things look like they're moving at double speed.

I'd say it was slightly off putting until about 3-4 minutes in. I remember telling myself at a certain point in the prologue to forget that I was watching a movie and look at it as real life. The moment it clicked for me, I think, was when the camera did that flying-through-the-air shot rising above Dale to reveal Erebor. I told my brain to forget that it was a camera shot and just look at it as if I was flying through the air and seeing it with my own eyes.

From then on out, I was completely in love.

- Viggo Mortensen

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 21 2014, 3:59am

Post #21 of 21 (538 views)
Shortcut
While for me [In reply to] Can't Post

it was instant, and I had zero adjustment time. It never looked speeded up to me.

It's always fascinating to me how differently people experience the world, even what seems like exactly the same event. Smile

Silverlode

Want a LOTR Anniversary footer of your own? Get one here!

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dűm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.