War in the North
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

yannischatzi
The Shire

Dec 20 2014, 6:44pm

Post #1 of 27 (1300 views)
Shortcut
War in the North Can't Post

I would like to hear your views on an obvious next film (or films) on ME: War in the North.

Just think about it. Everything is set up and ready to be used: Erebor, Dain, Bard's line (grandson), Thranduil, Mirkwood (even Tauriel can be used here), Radagast, Galadriel, Lothlorien, Dol Guldur, Ringwraiths, Easterlings and so on.

Not only is everything set up to be used, but if this film/films is not made the 6-film saga that PJ is envisioning will feel incomplete. What are all these people in ME doing during the war of the Ring? Why are they not helping Gondor? What happens to Erebor, Mirkwood? A final film/films can answer these questions and make a cinematic portrayal of the end of the third age complete.

Another plus IMO for these film makers that love ME, is the fact that all these events are described only in broad strokes from Prof. Tolkien, so there is room there for introducing characters and situations that will not be criticized as “not in the book”.

I think there is a real chance here for ME lovers!

DigificWriter
Lorien

Dec 20 2014, 6:55pm

Post #2 of 27 (817 views)
Shortcut
"Interquels" are a tricky thing [In reply to] Can't Post

Telling a story that takes place within another story (an "interquel", if you will) is tricky, and you risk stalling the forward progression of the wider narrative.

If telling the story of the War in the North could be done in such a way that it framed things as a 'sequel' to the LotR Trilogy, I'd be for it, but it would be tricky to have it take place concurrently to what we see in the Trilogy itself.

malickfan
Gondor

Dec 20 2014, 6:59pm

Post #3 of 27 (778 views)
Shortcut
I think that would work better as a videogame personally [In reply to] Can't Post

I just don't see the point in making a film out of such flimsy material, it's essentially exploring completely new ground for whoever would make such a film, there is not 'goal' or character arc for most of the characters in question, the whole idea just sounds like a bunch a deleted scenes cobbled together.

It would work better as a videogame imo, becuase it's a totally new non-canon story I think it would be more fun to explore it yourself than see someone else interpretation (there is something to be said in quitting whilst you are ahead an leaving things to the imginaition...)

If people want to find these answers to those questions...why can't they just read the books? To me the fates of secondary characters or 'off screen' background stories aren't things that need to be explored, often depth is brought to a story by what is hinted at, not what is shown.

In anycase, New Line's president recently announced they have no plans for any further films (at the moment at least):

http://www.thestarphoenix.com/.../10658402/story.html

A grumpy reply admittedly, but I'm sure others here might think differently...

(This post was edited by malickfan on Dec 20 2014, 7:01pm)

DigificWriter
Lorien

Dec 20 2014, 7:03pm

Post #4 of 27 (764 views)
Shortcut
Emmerich's statement doesnt mean much [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
In anycase, New Line's president recently announced they have no plans for any further films:

http://www.thestarphoenix.com/.../10658402/story.html

A grumpy reply admittedly, but I'm sure others here might think differently...

That statement doesn't actually mean all that much. There may not be plans to tell more ME-based stories currently, but I doubt New Line would say "No" if, in a few years, Peter and Co. realize that they have ideas on how to tell more stories in their cinematic version of Middle-earth and approach the studio with said ideas.

yannischatzi
The Shire

Dec 20 2014, 7:06pm

Post #5 of 27 (773 views)
Shortcut
Flashback [In reply to] Can't Post

The way I picture it, the same way as the Hobbit is essentially presented as a flashback inside the LOTR time frame, the War in the North could be presented as a flashback as well, say just before the Elves leave for Valinor at the end of ROTK.

DigificWriter
Lorien

Dec 20 2014, 7:12pm

Post #6 of 27 (758 views)
Shortcut
That might work [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
The way I picture it, the same way as the Hobbit is essentially presented as a flashback inside the LOTR time frame, the War in the North could be presented as a flashback as well, say just before the Elves leave for Valinor at the end of ROTK.

That might work, but that begs the question of 'from whose perspective are you telling the story?' and the question of 'how do you set up the flashbacks?'

malickfan
Gondor

Dec 20 2014, 7:14pm

Post #7 of 27 (730 views)
Shortcut
True [In reply to] Can't Post

But I've read New Line/WB's option on the rights runs out soon, given the unpleasant legal history between the Saul Zaentz Company and Warner Bros, if a suitable story can't be worked out in time they might decide to license the rights to a different studio next time (I'm pretty sure films have to be based directly on character/stories from TH/LOTR a spin off film based only vaguely on the book my run into opposition from the Tolkien Estate)

Would Jackson even want to come back for 'spin off films' is the real question, he's already spent two decades in cinematic Middle Earth, I would have thought he'd be interested in moving on personally (I'd actually quite like him to, his long rumoured Gallipoli film could be interesting, just because he was first dosen't mean he should have dominion over the way the books are interpreted for a modern cinematic audience)

DigificWriter
Lorien

Dec 20 2014, 7:21pm

Post #8 of 27 (728 views)
Shortcut
As far as I know... [In reply to] Can't Post

... Jackson, New Line, and WB own copyright on this particular iteration of the story independent of any licensing agreements that may or may not be in place, so I don't think they'd run into any LEGAL objections from the Tolkien Estate were they to decide that there were more stories to be told in their particular version of Tolkien's world.

Christopher Tolkien and others might object on opinionated grounds, but I don't think they'd have any legal standing (I'm pretty sure their 2012 suit over merchandising issues relative to the films themselves was either settled out of court or thrown out entirely).

malickfan
Gondor

Dec 20 2014, 7:27pm

Post #9 of 27 (735 views)
Shortcut
Actually the 2012 lawsuit in still ongoing [In reply to] Can't Post

It's a shame so much bad blood has come of these filmshttp://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/warner-bros-wants-disqualify-tolkien-710764[./url]

[:/]

DigificWriter
Lorien

Dec 20 2014, 7:36pm

Post #10 of 27 (719 views)
Shortcut
Re: Actually the 2012 lawsuit in still ongoing [In reply to] Can't Post

Hmm.

I personally think that the Tolkien Estate is fighting a losing battle here and would be better-served to just settle the matter out-of-court, but what do I know?

yannischatzi
The Shire

Dec 20 2014, 7:40pm

Post #11 of 27 (717 views)
Shortcut
Galadriel's? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

In Reply To

That might work, but that begs the question of 'from whose perspective are you telling the story?' and the question of 'how do you set up the flashbacks?'

You are right. Galadriel could be a choice. But, if it came to that, I am sure the filmmakers would find a suitable way to do it.

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Dec 20 2014, 7:44pm

Post #12 of 27 (702 views)
Shortcut
I suppose the question is what would the story be? [In reply to] Can't Post

malickfan
Gondor

Dec 20 2014, 7:45pm

Post #13 of 27 (690 views)
Shortcut
Yes... [In reply to] Can't Post

...It's not really any of our business, though t's certainly proving confusing investigating these matters on the internet...

yannischatzi
The Shire

Dec 20 2014, 7:48pm

Post #14 of 27 (680 views)
Shortcut
Ask me in 2 years time... [In reply to] Can't Post

Peter Jackson has said in a recent interview that he wouldn't want to go back to ME straight away, but in 2 or 3 years time he might be willing to:

If I had to start tomorrow, I would say no, because I definitely would appreciate a break to clear my head and get my little New Zealand stories done, which is where my passion and my heart is heading now. But ask me in two or three years, and I'd probably say yes. It would be hard to see another filmmaker go into this world, because I certainly have an emotional ownership of it.

sharku
Rivendell

Dec 20 2014, 7:52pm

Post #15 of 27 (683 views)
Shortcut
Irony [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
It's a shame so much bad blood has come of these filmshttp://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/warner-bros-wants-disqualify-tolkien-710764[/url]
Unsure

Ahhh-the irony (and goldy and silvery). Akin to the accursed nature of the dragon's hoard in Erebor itself, are the spoils of Tolkien's writings and subsequent spin offs. An evil lies upon the profit of those spin offs, and much ill will is caused by man's desire of wealth above all else.

yannischatzi
The Shire

Dec 20 2014, 7:54pm

Post #16 of 27 (715 views)
Shortcut
Three story arcs: Lothlorien, Mirkwood, Battle of Dale [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

(This post was edited by yannischatzi on Dec 20 2014, 7:56pm)

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Dec 20 2014, 8:16pm

Post #17 of 27 (668 views)
Shortcut
Well, they are backdrops [In reply to] Can't Post

In the same way that BOFA is a backdrop to a bit of the story about Bilbo and Thorin and greed etc.

It's what the story would be that I'm wondering.

DigificWriter
Lorien

Dec 20 2014, 8:19pm

Post #18 of 27 (723 views)
Shortcut
Given the way Jackson's LotR Trilogy ends... [In reply to] Can't Post

... there doesn't seem to be any ORGANIC way to setup a 'flashback narrative' detailing the War in the North the way that Peter and Co. did for The Hobbit relative to The Fellowship of the Ring.

yannischatzi
The Shire

Dec 20 2014, 8:35pm

Post #19 of 27 (658 views)
Shortcut
The story could be [In reply to] Can't Post

about the relationship between Dain and Brand, Dain and Thranduil, Galadriel having to deal with the Nazgul that took residence in Dol Guldur and ultimately the threat of ultimate destruction before the end.

DigificWriter
Lorien

Dec 20 2014, 8:39pm

Post #20 of 27 (656 views)
Shortcut
Re: the story could be [In reply to] Can't Post

How would you set all of that up, though, and do so in a way that fit organically into the existing structural context of the LotR Trilogy?

It's not solely about figuring out what story could possibly be told; it's also about figuring out how to organically fit the telling of said story into the existing framework of what Peter and Co. have already done, particularly with regards to the LotR Trilogy.

yannischatzi
The Shire

Dec 20 2014, 8:53pm

Post #21 of 27 (631 views)
Shortcut
Of course you are right [In reply to] Can't Post

If PJ and co. thought this would be worth filming I have no doubt they would find a way to fit it in nicely. What I am saying is that since every piece of the puzzle is already set up in LOTR and the Hobbit, the fitting in wouldn't be that hard.

DigificWriter
Lorien

Dec 20 2014, 8:59pm

Post #22 of 27 (628 views)
Shortcut
i have to disagree [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
If PJ and co. thought this would be worth filming I have no doubt they would find a way to fit it in nicely. What I am saying is that since every piece of the puzzle is already set up in LOTR and the Hobbit, the fitting in wouldn't be that hard.

I have to disagree that every piece of the puzzle for telling a War in the North story is in place thanks to The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, as you would have to figure out where you could set a narrative bookend sequence that could link the story to TLotR that wouldn't feel out of place.

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Dec 20 2014, 9:10pm

Post #23 of 27 (626 views)
Shortcut
I'm probably not explaining awfully well. [In reply to] Can't Post

What I'm trying to ponder is the plot line.
So in both TH and LOTR we have a quest narrative (to destroy the ring or reclaim the treasure); we have a journey narrative (as both parties explore and overcome hurdles); we have a villain to overcome (Sauron and a subverted Smaug); we have the rags to riches story (in Aragorn and Thorin becoming kings); we have a partial mystery plot (in DG); we have partial redemption plots ( such as with Theoden)

So I'm wondering about similar options for a potential plot line.

I guess a journey isn't obvious as the characters you mention are already where they need to be.

A quest maybe - but who and why? One tricky aspect for any storyline is that this conflict whilst important in potential isn't the decisive one - and we've already seen the wider outcome of the struggles in the same period.

A rags to riches isn't obvious as Dain and Galadriel are already in position. Maybe there could be something about Brand becoming a leader but it's not immediately obvious what barriers would stand in his way. It's also rather close to Bard's existing story.

Galadriel facing a couple of Nazgul at DG might seem awfully similar to TH but just at a lower difficulty setting, as it were.

A mystery doesn't leap out. Maybe a redemption - but I'm not sure who or why.

I hope that does a bit of a better job of illustrating what I mean? Fingers crossed!

mirkwoodwanderer
Lorien

Dec 20 2014, 10:41pm

Post #24 of 27 (570 views)
Shortcut
All in favor say YEAH [In reply to] Can't Post

an I do say YEAH

Make that movie !

Hobbity Hobbit
Lorien

Dec 20 2014, 11:02pm

Post #25 of 27 (576 views)
Shortcut
So they don't have to overstrech stories [In reply to] Can't Post

A History of Middle-earth TV Show, and they can also show the trilogies at the end to celebrate, most of the things in the Appendices aren't too long. I wish we could see Frodo and Bilbo again, but I don't think there isn't any stories otherwise then the coming EE that can show them. Though I'm not sure if they'd have the same impact, so it might be better to make new ones.

"As the snowflakes cover my fallen brothers,
I will say this last goodbye."-from "The Last Goodbye"

"Why does it hurt so much?"
"Because it was real."
(PLEASE DON'T HURT ME)

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above gold, the world would be a merrier place."-BotFA/The Hobbit

(This post was edited by Hobbity Hobbit on Dec 20 2014, 11:03pm)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.