Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
I wanted to do terrible things to Azog… very terrible things..

ecthelionsbeard
Lorien

Dec 20 2014, 5:33pm

Post #1 of 6 (694 views)
Shortcut
I wanted to do terrible things to Azog… very terrible things.. Can't Post

When he slaughtered Fili and tossed him over the cliff without even a hint of conflict or remorse. Still having a hard time coming to terms with the deaths of these three good dwarves. My question is… orcs used to be elves so how did they become personifications of pure depravity; so utterly evil.

(This post was edited by ecthelionsbeard on Dec 20 2014, 5:42pm)

Glorfindela
Valinor

Dec 20 2014, 6:09pm

Post #2 of 6 (347 views)
Shortcut
Did all Orcs used to be Elves? [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought only some of them were (not Azog or Bolg)?

NateGate
Rivendell

Dec 20 2014, 6:33pm

Post #3 of 6 (332 views)
Shortcut
The original... [In reply to] Can't Post

...orcs were elves, turned evil by Morgoth. After that they became there own species. So no, the orcs of the 3rd Age are not elves, they are the long descendants of them.

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Dec 20 2014, 6:37pm

Post #4 of 6 (314 views)
Shortcut
**sigh of relief** [In reply to] Can't Post

This could have been a very disturbing thread … That being said, yes they did really make you wanna kill him! I think Bolg more than Azog though. I loved Bolg's death almost more than Azog's.

The flames of war are upon you..

(This post was edited by MouthofSauron on Dec 20 2014, 6:38pm)

Avandel
Half-elven

Dec 20 2014, 6:40pm

Post #5 of 6 (303 views)
Shortcut
It's easy to hate what you will never be, can't be [In reply to] Can't Post

We see that all too often in modern society - assuming orcs (in general) corruptions of elves. I don't know enough Tolkien to really comment - but vaguely remember Azog being something "special", as envisioned by the filmmakers. Also, his master is the great evil Sauron:
:

All that the Valar made, Melkor looked to destroy; long before the Elves awoke, he threw down the Lamps of the Valar, destroying their dwelling in Almaren. They removed to Valinor, and fearing for the coming Elves, made war on Melkor and imprisoned him for three ages. By the time he was released, the Elves had come to Valinor; Melkor turned back to his evil ways; slaying Finwë and stealing the Silmarils, he destroyed the Two Trees of Valinor and fled back to his ancient fortress of Angband in the north of Middle-earth.

Sauron, the eponymous Lord of the Rings, was a fallen Maia, the creator of the One Ring, and the most trusted lieutenant of his master Morgoth (Melkor, the first Dark Lord). After Morgoth's defeat in the First Age, Sauron became the second Dark Lord and strove to conquer Arda, creating the Rings of Power for this purpose. In the Second Age, he was defeated in the War of the Last Alliance by the last line of defense: elves and men.

And it may be that these orcs are one of Tolkien's personifications of the evils of war that he saw, up close and personal, a mindless evil with no pity, remorse, empathy - just a will to slaughter.

As for the film, yesFrown.

Still having a hard time coming to terms with the deaths of these three good dwarves.

It's poor comfort, but I'm glad Thorin stares into Azog's eyes and pushes Orcrist down, right through the ice. Unimpressed

(This post was edited by Avandel on Dec 20 2014, 6:41pm)

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Dec 20 2014, 7:28pm

Post #6 of 6 (275 views)
Shortcut
Actually, there is no definitive answer. [In reply to] Can't Post

Tolkien went through various versions of Orc ontologies (corrupted elves, Orc women, a few boldogs, corrupted men) in various combinations and none really emerges as a settled or final answer.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.