Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
A question about Bilbo's return to Bag End (possible spoiler)

hobbitylass
Bree

Dec 20 2014, 3:08pm

Post #1 of 13 (801 views)
Shortcut
A question about Bilbo's return to Bag End (possible spoiler) Can't Post

I saw the movie yesterday and generally enjoyed it.

I had a question pop into my mind this morning though that I couldn't puzzle out on my own.

When Bilbo returns to his emptied-out hobbit hole, he sees some scattered papers littered on the floor. Among them, he spots the map of the Lonely Mountain.

How did it get there?

Thorin had the map when they got to the gates, he holds it in his hand and says so plaintively "The last light of Durin's Day, that's what it says..." before walking away. That's the last I remember seeing the map in the movies.

So how does it end up lying on the floor in Bilbo's house for him to pick up when he gets back?

mirkwoodwanderer
Lorien

Dec 20 2014, 3:14pm

Post #2 of 13 (473 views)
Shortcut
spoiler note is no longer needed since 17 december. [In reply to] Can't Post

I did not see it and he picks up a painting of his mother. I think he did not pick up nothing else

If he did, it might have been a copy as before he shouted I am going on an Adventure he must have looked up a map to see where he was going..

but again.. I think he only picked up a painting of his mother.
Very symbolic it was and it made me cry

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Dec 20 2014, 3:27pm

Post #3 of 13 (445 views)
Shortcut
You don't mean in the scene after it moves forward in time [In reply to] Can't Post

To Ian Holm's Bilbo, I take it?

Arandir
Gondor

Dec 20 2014, 3:28pm

Post #4 of 13 (462 views)
Shortcut
Thorin gave him the map [In reply to] Can't Post

When Thorin holds the map at the secret entrance, he gives the map to Bilbo before walking away. The hobbit then discovers the trush and the outline of the door.

Presumably he always kept it with him from then on.

At the end, as mirkwoodwanderer pointed out, he doesn't pick up the map but the portrait.

The map at the end is during the present day with Ian Holm.

'A Tolkienist's Perspective' Blog
Why we Love 'Sherlock'
'How Peter Jackson inches closer to making 'The Silmarillion'

hobbitylass
Bree

Dec 20 2014, 3:59pm

Post #5 of 13 (375 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the responses, I'm going again on Monday so I'll look more carefully then.

As I remember it, Bilbo looks down at the map,and then the scene transitions to Ian Holm looking at the same map when Gandalf knocks on the door. The map is the link between the two time frames.

I was sure he had picked it up off the floor among scattered papers - I'm not confusing it with the portrait in the oval frame. But maybe it was in his pocket all that time, that would make sense.

Cheers!

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Dec 20 2014, 4:03pm

Post #6 of 13 (370 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm I think you might be misremembering. [In reply to] Can't Post

It was the Ring he was looking at as the timeframes transition, not the map.

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Dec 20 2014, 4:13pm

Post #7 of 13 (344 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

He looks down at the ring in his pocket, takes it out and it transitions to Ian Holm as old Bilbo who then picks up the framed map and looks at it. The poster above is right, Thorin gave Bilbo the map back when he was disgusted that he couldn't find the keyhole and started back down the mountain. Bilbo obviously kept the map and years later it's now faded and framed.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

hobbitylass
Bree

Dec 20 2014, 4:15pm

Post #8 of 13 (343 views)
Shortcut
You're probably right [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, that very well could be, I was seeing things through very watery eyes by then and mopping the tears off my cheeks.

And, I now just remembered that what he picked up off the floor was his handkerchief, embroidered with "BB" in the corner.

So, thank you to all for helping me with this! Cheers!

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Dec 20 2014, 4:16pm

Post #9 of 13 (338 views)
Shortcut
Tears [In reply to] Can't Post

I know what you mean! Me too Smile

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Dec 20 2014, 4:20pm

Post #10 of 13 (342 views)
Shortcut
Bilbo doesn't actually pick up the map [In reply to] Can't Post

He gets up and goes to the door, and the camera then pulls around and zooms in on the map, which is sitting on the table.

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Dec 20 2014, 4:20pm)

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Dec 20 2014, 5:14pm

Post #11 of 13 (309 views)
Shortcut
Thorin actually sticks the map dejectedly [In reply to] Can't Post

into Bilbo's hands, rather than exactly giving it to him, so disappointed and discouraged he is...! Bilbo is pleading for all of them not to leave, but still they all do, and Thorin kind of throws away that now useless map, by putting in that way into Bilbo's open arms... Quite well done, really: just as he also drops now that so precious key they won't need any more... or so he thinks!!! Wink

'Is everything sad going to come untrue?'
(Sam, 'The Field of Cormallen', in 'The Return of the King'.)

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Dec 20 2014, 5:20pm

Post #12 of 13 (307 views)
Shortcut
I figured out that on the floor are both stuff left behind [In reply to] Can't Post

from the auction, and also stuff he himself is now bringing in from his journey, including that map. There no more furniture anywhere, so he has to drop everything right there on the floor when he goes inside, alone at last in hisalmost completely emptied home.

'Is everything sad going to come untrue?'
(Sam, 'The Field of Cormallen', in 'The Return of the King'.)

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 20 2014, 8:14pm

Post #13 of 13 (250 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the reminder, [In reply to] Can't Post

but it's not necessary. If people want to use a spoiler tag, they are welcome to do it. We are not REQUIRING spoiler notices, but anyone is free to use them.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.