Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
North America early Friday estimate $16.1m...

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Dec 20 2014, 12:09pm

Post #1 of 13 (874 views)
Shortcut
North America early Friday estimate $16.1m... Can't Post

That's actually pretty decent. Better Friday increase than either of the LOTRs. My worst fears did not come to pass. With that Friday, it should be able to pass $50m for the weekend.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Dec 20 2014, 1:00pm

Post #2 of 13 (563 views)
Shortcut
Seems OK, doesn't it? [In reply to] Can't Post

So since Wednesday it should be around $85 million for the US by the end of the weekend? That doesn't sound bad, though I'm actually more interested in the worldwide figures, including the US (being a European!).Smile

(This post was edited by Glorfindela on Dec 20 2014, 1:00pm)

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Dec 20 2014, 2:06pm

Post #3 of 13 (523 views)
Shortcut
Okay in the sense that it could have been worse [In reply to] Can't Post

Still doesn't change my initial outlook that it's most likely going to drop from DOS.

If it weren't for the damn exchange rates i would be pretty positive about international grosses making up for it, it did well admissions wise, starting out slightly stronger than its predecessors. As it stands, $1b is up in the air. Will probably depend on China, again.

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Dec 20 2014, 2:41pm

Post #4 of 13 (492 views)
Shortcut
Social Media driving Five Armies [In reply to] Can't Post

It seems that the film is being driven by social media according to Deadline.com. Yay for the Armies of Middle Earth fans!

Social media has been key in harnessing The Hobbit fanbase with YouTube, Facebook and Twitter moving the needle significantly for Five Armies. According to media analyst RelishMIX, The Hobbit‘s YouTube has amassed an impressive 258M views over 24 months. Five Armies has twice the YouTube count with 140M views over Smaug‘s 71M and Unexpected Journey‘s 47M. Five Armies’ Facebook engagement stands at 34M, double that of Smaug‘s 17M. Twitter reach has nearly doubled in the last 12 months from 2.6M to 4.7M with hashtag activity spiking to 72k from the London Premiere on November 30.

http://deadline.com/...e-museum-1201331370/

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

(This post was edited by Ham_Sammy on Dec 20 2014, 2:42pm)

Bombadil
Half-elven

Dec 20 2014, 2:50pm

Post #5 of 13 (455 views)
Shortcut
Great Point "Miss Sandwich" Facebook became the Largest Search Engine [In reply to] Can't Post

in the World in March, 2014..Beat Goggle, bing, Safari...etc
& about 80% of itz users are
NOT in the USA.

Many people need to move there...
since it really does not matter
WHAT you are looking for...It's there.

bom
Crazy

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

mirkwoodwanderer
Lorien

Dec 20 2014, 3:27pm

Post #6 of 13 (447 views)
Shortcut
It seems to be gone here. [In reply to] Can't Post

I am curious about other Euro countries

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Dec 20 2014, 3:31pm

Post #7 of 13 (445 views)
Shortcut
Official studio estimate: $16.58M [In reply to] Can't Post

Even a little bit better. Hopefully it can increase 30% on Saturday...

mirkwoodwanderer
Lorien

Dec 20 2014, 3:32pm

Post #8 of 13 (431 views)
Shortcut
many people are home for Christmas or do shopping now [In reply to] Can't Post

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Dec 20 2014, 3:36pm

Post #9 of 13 (432 views)
Shortcut
As is the case every year... [In reply to] Can't Post

That's why the general assumption is that December does not produce as big as weekends as the summer.

mirkwoodwanderer
Lorien

Dec 20 2014, 3:43pm

Post #10 of 13 (413 views)
Shortcut
True. [In reply to] Can't Post

The idea that Christmas is for cinema's is wierd

People shop till they drop, they go to Christmas fairs, even over to Germany and Cinema is not on their mind.
Not in summer either btw .. they go to the beach.. Best is august when it rains a lot or november when the warmth of summer is gone, but the winter is not yet in sight.

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Dec 20 2014, 3:49pm

Post #11 of 13 (412 views)
Shortcut
Well, summer and winter produces the biggest hits... [In reply to] Can't Post

Summer tends to be more frontloaded, the grosses in winter more spread out. The end of year holiday period (last two weeks of the year) are huge business wise. People are off school / work. Perfect to release a movie in.

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Dec 20 2014, 3:53pm

Post #12 of 13 (397 views)
Shortcut
I've been doing my part Bomby [In reply to] Can't Post

I have been posting on FB that my friends should go see it!!

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

Avandel
Half-elven

Dec 20 2014, 4:56pm

Post #13 of 13 (380 views)
Shortcut
I think it's great, and so does the industry [In reply to] Can't Post

The impressive start for “Five Armies” should also dispel a bit of the gloom for the studios and exhibitors, who have seen U.S. box office fall 5% this year — and then had to deal with Sony’s decision to pull “The Interview” out of its Christmas release slot in the wake of terrorist threats.

https://variety.com/...s-in-u-s-1201383739/

And the economy (at least in the U.S.) isn't all that great. Plus as usual compared to LOTR the home market is not being factored inUnsure, but to a studio that's more profit (e.g the poorly rated Annie now in release - one critic labeling it "straight to DVD" may actually end up being a success.)

I hope just for my own shallow fan smugnessEvil BOFA crosses 300 million U.S., which seems to be the bar for the term "blockbuster" here, but so speaking from a strictly financial view, PJ & co. will leave a "golden" *cough* legacy behind.

And for my favorite actors in this movie - am sure it's nice to have your name connected with a financially successful film.Cool

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.