The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Fan Art:
Tauriel Drawing

LaurenOakenshield
Bree

Dec 20 2014, 3:42am

Post #1 of 8 (4058 views)
Shortcut
Tauriel Drawing Can't Post

This is the first drawing of Tauriel that I've done (most of my drawing are of Thorin Tongue). What do you think? Smile

http://i1272.photobucket.com/...wing_zps9a1f6221.jpg

"The King Beneath the Mountain, shall come into his own..."

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Dec 22 2014, 12:07am)

Cirashala
Valinor

Dec 20 2014, 8:15am

Post #2 of 8 (3858 views)
Shortcut
that's actually really good [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm impressed Smile

Where are your Thorin drawings, if I may ask? I'm curious to see how repetition of him has improved things Smile

LaurenOakenshield
Bree

Dec 20 2014, 6:01pm

Post #3 of 8 (3834 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you so much! Smile

Some of my artwork I've posted on here but some of it I haven't gotten around to post yet! Here's one of my drawings of Thorin that I sent to Richard Armitage:

http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?post=732376;sb=post_time;so=DESC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

I also do a bit of digital paintings, and you can find some of those here:

http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?post=788379;#788379

Cirashala
Valinor

Dec 20 2014, 8:53pm

Post #4 of 8 (3831 views)
Shortcut
WOW [In reply to] Can't Post

You are indeed VERY talented! I can sketch, and have done two sketches of Legolas back from my LOTR days, but am not that good (possibly because I'm not that patient lol Tongue). I haven't even had an art class since I was ten (elementary school). I don't remember if I posted them on here a while back, but I think I did. Have you heard from RA how he liked your drawing?

May I ask? How do you do digital art? I've seen some wonderful digital art on deviantart as well (Aigelief is one of the best artists I've seen on there- her likeness to the characters is uncanny, and you are definitely in her category!) And Brilcrist is another good digital artist. In fact, he did a comic strip style one of the near-drowning scene from the book (where Fili and Kili went after a pony that randomly bolted into the Brandywine river) that was very well done, IMO.

I've been curious how digital art is done, especially since it looks so real!

I tend to lean more toward painting (landscapes and plants, especially flowers and mountains and rivers and trees) and watercolor, sculpture, pastels, ceramics, sketches (pencil), and crafting (basically 3D art, like sewing, cake decorating, leather work, weaving, wood carving, beads, soapmaking, etc). But I've never managed to learn or even know how to do digital art.

(This post was edited by Cirashala on Dec 20 2014, 8:58pm)

LaurenOakenshield
Bree

Dec 20 2014, 11:13pm

Post #5 of 8 (3812 views)
Shortcut
Thanks so much! :) [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
You are indeed VERY talented! I can sketch, and have done two sketches of Legolas back from my LOTR days, but am not that good (possibly because I'm not that patient lol Tongue). I haven't even had an art class since I was ten (elementary school). I don't remember if I posted them on here a while back, but I think I did. Have you heard from RA how he liked your drawing?

May I ask? How do you do digital art? I've seen some wonderful digital art on deviantart as well (Aigelief is one of the best artists I've seen on there- her likeness to the characters is uncanny, and you are definitely in her category!) And Brilcrist is another good digital artist. In fact, he did a comic strip style one of the near-drowning scene from the book (where Fili and Kili went after a pony that randomly bolted into the Brandywine river) that was very well done, IMO.

I've been curious how digital art is done, especially since it looks so real!

I tend to lean more toward painting (landscapes and plants, especially flowers and mountains and rivers and trees) and watercolor, sculpture, pastels, ceramics, sketches (pencil), and crafting (basically 3D art, like sewing, cake decorating, leather work, weaving, wood carving, beads, soapmaking, etc). But I've never managed to learn or even know how to do digital art.

Thank you, you are very kind! That's nice! I've not done Legolas yet. . .may do him sometime too! I've never had any art classes so I'm always very critical and judgemental of my own work. Wish it were better, but thank you. Smile

Well I did hear back from Richard sort of. . .he just signed and sent back a few other things I included, but as for the drawing he didn't say anything. I hope he liked it! Heart

For my digital art, I use a program called Krita wish is really easy to use and it's a free download. Pretty much what I do, if I see a picture I want to give a go at, I just study it - the lighting, the shadows, details, etc. and just look at that as a reference.
OH yes, both of them are amazing! I've seen some of their work - absolutely incredible! I hope to be that good someday! I thought your signature had looked familiar! Wink

DwellerInDale
Rohan

Dec 21 2014, 2:20am

Post #6 of 8 (3821 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for posting, Lauren [In reply to] Can't Post

Anyone who does a drawing of my favorite female elf automatically deserves some praise!

Any plans to do color? Here is a thumbnail of a trois crayon Tauriel, done with only 3 pastels.

Don't mess with my favorite female elf.

LaurenOakenshield
Bree

Dec 21 2014, 3:39am

Post #7 of 8 (3874 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've done some recently in color, not Tauriel exactly but some other Hobbit drawings. Haven't put them up yet though. Crazy

I've seen your Tauriel before, it's really great! Love it! You did a good job! Smile

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Jan 23 2015, 5:14am

Post #8 of 8 (3798 views)
Shortcut
pretty swell stuff [In reply to] Can't Post

I usually have to draw someone a dozen times before I get the face structure right.

"cheating" a bit in your roughs by doodling a layer on photoshop or using tracing paper (or stick the photo behind a piece of glass, like a random window) will teach you the real structure of the face... trace your circles and basic shapes over the photo to see how the face is structured and what the proportions are...

like this http://swordwhale3.tumblr.com/post/50024744244/doodling-101-basic-foundation-scribble-look-for

or this http://swordwhale3.tumblr.com/post/50026821098/swordwhale-some-basic-shapes-for-building-faces

It's only to nail the actual proportions, then you sit down with your paper or canvas and actually draw.

Na 'Aear, na 'Aear! Mýl 'lain nallol, I sûl ribiel a i falf 'loss reviol...
To the sea, to the sea, the white gulls are crying, the wind is blowing and the white foam is flying...

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.