Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
What movies, tv shows, or other visual media have you watched recently?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 20 2014, 3:12am

Post #1 of 26 (1036 views)
Shortcut
What movies, tv shows, or other visual media have you watched recently? Can't Post

tell us about them here.

It's okay to post BOTFA reviews/reactions in this thread. If you are posting spoilers, just mention that in the subject line. Or post non-spoiler stuff, then a spoiler warning, then spoiler stuff.

Or post one post that's non-spoilery and another post that has spoilers.

Make it work for you! You can even repost what you wrote on the Hobbit board, if you like, since some people who frequent this thread don't read on the Hobbit board.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Dec 20 2014, 3:44am

Post #2 of 26 (869 views)
Shortcut
Bot5A - not bad [In reply to] Can't Post

I've decided HFR is not for me but other than that it was a decent effort. Great creature designs. There will be trouble rationalizing battlefield techniques and engines with supposedly later battles in LOTR.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 20 2014, 4:27am

Post #3 of 26 (852 views)
Shortcut
FOTR, Elysium [In reply to] Can't Post

I decided to return to where the movie journey started, with FOTR. It felt like going back home to stay with friends. Seeing FOTR reinforced for me that the first trilogy was more visceral, it felt more real and tangible than the second trilogy does. But two things really stood out for me: for once, the Ringwraiths were scary. They used to be a disappointment to me but now we've seen what they're like when they gather to fight, they felt more lethal and frightening when they're hunting Frodo. Secondly, I thought of the smiling eyes of Ken Stott's Balin when Gimli found his tomb in Moria - and thought of bookish and loyal Ori as the corpse from whom Gandalf picks up the damaged diary. So many feels. Unsure

Elysium was just a time-filler. I think Blomkamp did a good job designing the two worlds but the ending was telegraphed right from the start.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Dec 20 2014, 4:28am)

macfalk
Valinor

Dec 20 2014, 11:57am

Post #4 of 26 (840 views)
Shortcut
I have also decided that HFR is not for me. [In reply to] Can't Post

I watched BOFA for the second time in 2D yesterday and I found myself more easily immersed into the movie. 3D + HFR distracts me somehow.

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

imin
Valinor

Dec 20 2014, 12:21pm

Post #5 of 26 (836 views)
Shortcut
For once i agree with you, haha [In reply to] Can't Post

When i went to see AUJ i saw it in both 2D and HFR and had the same experience as you for latest one.

All posts are to be taken as my opinion.

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Dec 20 2014, 1:21pm

Post #6 of 26 (834 views)
Shortcut
Weird... [In reply to] Can't Post

...how it worked out for me. I was the same as you (2nd viewing in 2D was better), despite loving HFR on the other films. But, yet, I saw it in HFR again yesterday...and loved it. So maybe HFR on the first viewing is a bad idea. Even being a fan of the format - it still probably takes me out of the movie initially (how could it not - only seeing one movie in the format per year - there's no real chance to adjust to it as a standard).

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

sherlock
Gondor

Dec 20 2014, 1:35pm

Post #7 of 26 (838 views)
Shortcut
Bot5A [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw it Wednesday morning by myself. I liked it better than the last one and, as always, there was stuff I liked & I stuff I didn't like. The song at the end (which I'd already heard) really moved me. I've come to the end of a lot of things in my life the last few weeks and I just wanted to sit in the theater and cry when it was over but I didn't.Blush

sherlock
Gondor

Dec 20 2014, 1:42pm

Post #8 of 26 (832 views)
Shortcut
There was a strip [In reply to] Can't Post

at the bottom of the film that looked different from the rest but that could be a technical issue at the theater. The HFR looked odd at a few places in bright light but other than that I thought it was great. It felt like you were right there in the movie.

ElanorTX
Tol Eressea

Dec 20 2014, 3:01pm

Post #9 of 26 (827 views)
Shortcut
Military strategy [In reply to] Can't Post

is something I don't understand in depth - can you explain more about what will need harmonizing? Thank you!

"I shall not wholly fail if anything can still grow fair in days to come."

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Dec 20 2014, 5:34pm

Post #10 of 26 (832 views)
Shortcut
Just popping in -- [In reply to] Can't Post

In general the use of trolls as moveable engines -- fitted with catapults, rams, and wrecking balls -- seems more technologically advanced than the Medieval European technology featured in LOTR.

Engines on beasts -- though only as moveable platforms from which to shoot -- were seen among the invaders from the South at Pelannor Fields; in real life history such, as well as cannon towers, were used in the late Medieval Period among armies from the Far East. What I'm getting at here is we should have seen more beast mounted machines (ie other than platforms) in the later battles of LOTR. (And no Sir Peter I am not saying you should pull a Lucas on our beloved LOTR films.)

As well, the use of flags hoisted into different positions from a central command post seemed quite advanced. The nearest type of communication in LOTR was the use hand held banners, horns and perhaps drums.

Then there's the way troops moved: The dwarves, though especially the elves, seemed rather advanced compared to what we observed in LOTR. But this could be technique that was lost as Elven-dom faded; and of course dwarves, apart from Gimli, were entirely absent in LOTR battles.

The elephant in the room is the tunnelling were-worms. Using them as sappers to place an army suddenly on the battlefield is a rather advanced idea.

ps Hi Elly!

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Dec 20 2014, 5:43pm)

demnation
Rohan

Dec 21 2014, 11:10am

Post #11 of 26 (817 views)
Shortcut
Interstellar and BOTFA [In reply to] Can't Post

On the same day! Whew! Yeah, I don't care what anyone says, I thought Interstellar was an excellent film. It surprised me in some ways. I like Nolan in general, but I find his films tend to be cold and emotionless. Interstellar was different. I got weepy a few times, especially near the end. It helps that I have daddy issues, so anything that has to do with the fractured relationship between parent and child will always get to me. And BOTFA was pretty ok. A decent conclusion to the trilogy.

"It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succour of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields that we know, so that those who live after may have clean earth to till. What weather they shall have is not ours to rule." Gandalf, "The Last Debate."

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Dec 21 2014, 7:45pm

Post #12 of 26 (804 views)
Shortcut
Yay! [In reply to] Can't Post

So happy you enjoyed Interstellar. Fellow fans of the film are in seemingly short supply around these parts Wink, and it was in fact my favorite film of the year.

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

Kim
Valinor

Dec 21 2014, 10:14pm

Post #13 of 26 (792 views)
Shortcut
If it helps [In reply to] Can't Post

I was talking to a co-worker about Interstellar - she loved it and was shocked (SHOCKED!) that I didn't. So there's one more in your corner. Wink

#OneLastTime

batik
Tol Eressea

Dec 22 2014, 12:30am

Post #14 of 26 (788 views)
Shortcut
in no particular order....several [In reply to] Can't Post

Interstellar: took about a month after its release date to make it to the local theater but all in all worth the wait.
TH3 (aka TBotFA) --I delayed seeing this for a few days so that my grandson could go along. For the record, he's 8 and was quite put out at the end of DoS, saying....wait a minute! that's not ALL is it?! At about the 6 minute mark ---at the point where The Battle of the Five Armies title appeared--he asked...it's not over is it? (out of the mouths of babes!) For my part, there where a couple of scenes that took me solidly back to the Middle-earth of LotR and several that had me thinking...well, this is a hot mess! Whatever the highs and lows, I am happy to have seen this and will very likely watch again while it's in the theater.
TV viewings included a marathon viewing of Seasons 1 and 2 of the History channel's Vikings and several episodes of HBO's Boardwalk Empire. I look forward to seeing Viking's return in February. For the Tolkien enthusiast (and Marvel followers)--there are some pieces of lore that might give one that geeky connection! Boardwalk Empire has little connection to either geekdom. It's set in the 1920's US prohibition era.

Kim
Valinor

Dec 23 2014, 6:42am

Post #15 of 26 (750 views)
Shortcut
The Almighty Johnsons end of season 2 [In reply to] Can't Post

Aw crap. Didn't see the end coming until right before it happened. Now what's going to happen to Gaia? Poor Axl. And poor Ty (again). Frown

#OneLastTime

Starling
Half-elven

Dec 23 2014, 9:43am

Post #16 of 26 (764 views)
Shortcut
Finally saw BOTFA, and had my first Imax experience [In reply to] Can't Post

This will be a short post as I am on my phone, which is a total pain.
Verdict: absolutely loved it and can't wait to go again. I loved the action and the character and quiet moments. Imax was great.
Got a bad case of dragon sickness after the film and recklessly purchased extended editions of both previous films.

EomundDaughter
Lorien

Dec 23 2014, 2:54pm

Post #17 of 26 (748 views)
Shortcut
Saw Exodus Gods and Kings [In reply to] Can't Post

and liked the Egyptian sets, costumes and action...was wondering why the enslaved Jews didn't just sneak away...there were no walls or chains...might have looked so different they could be spotted and captured...or not....

Annael
Immortal

Dec 23 2014, 5:55pm

Post #18 of 26 (731 views)
Shortcut
had to happen [In reply to] Can't Post

something had to stop them from all going back to Asgard, so we could have another season.

But yes, poor Axl.

Since evidence can be adduced and interpreted to corroborate a virtually limitless array of world views, the human challenge is to engage that world view or set of perspectives which brings forth the most valuable, life-enhancing consequences.

- Richard Tarnas, The Passion of the Western Mind

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 23 2014, 6:20pm

Post #19 of 26 (729 views)
Shortcut
Ha! [In reply to] Can't Post

As dragon sickness goes, that's not a bad case of the wants. :D

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 23 2014, 6:20pm

Post #20 of 26 (722 views)
Shortcut
My favourite part [In reply to] Can't Post

was how Idun got her comeuppance - she was so wrong for Anders. (Although Anders's panicked running to warn the others was a highlight.) :D

But yeah, I didn't see the ending coming at all.

Ataahua's stories

Otaku-sempai
Immortal

Dec 23 2014, 8:19pm

Post #21 of 26 (720 views)
Shortcut
Constantine [In reply to] Can't Post

Constantine may be the best comics-related television show currently on the air, although John should be even snarkier and more of an ass-hat than he is in it.

'There are older and fouler things than Orcs in the deep places of the world.' - Gandalf the Grey, The Fellowship of the Ring

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 23 2014, 9:21pm

Post #22 of 26 (721 views)
Shortcut
reporting via my phone as well.. [In reply to] Can't Post

And I really liked it too. I hope to be able to elaborate when I have more time.

fwiw... I cried.

:-)

Avandel
Half-elven

Dec 24 2014, 8:39pm

Post #23 of 26 (710 views)
Shortcut
Divergent and Guardians of the Galaxy [In reply to] Can't Post

Via cable, the same day.

Divergent - not horrible. Bland, YA stuff - another movie where supposed teenagers are badasses, no-one is overweight or has skin issues, and for some reason adults are good with shooting children, but none of it has any emotional weight, at all zzzzzzz......

Guardians of the Galaxy - LOL!

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Dec 25 2014, 2:36am

Post #24 of 26 (714 views)
Shortcut
Was I really the only one? [In reply to] Can't Post

To catch the latest run of the Vicar of Dibley Richard Armitage mini-marathon, I mean? *is shocked* Maybe the drooling hordes were all at the theater... Still not going to talk about his current box office hit project, though, even a week after viewing.

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

(This post was edited by Eowyn of Penns Woods on Dec 25 2014, 2:38am)

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 25 2014, 3:03am

Post #25 of 26 (701 views)
Shortcut
Is this a network mini-marathon? [In reply to] Can't Post

If so, I would guess it's only showing in your area. Around here, they're running Downtown Abbey marathons on PBS.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.