Parts you didn't like? (Spoilers)
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

MJM
The Shire

Dec 20 2014, 1:29am

Post #1 of 32 (1586 views)
Shortcut
Parts you didn't like? (Spoilers) Can't Post

I think that it is safe to assume that most of us here liked BOFA, but I am sure that everyone had some problems with different moments in the film. I suspect the scene people dislike the most is the Legolas stone jumping scene (although I for one had no problem with it). My least favorite part of the film is where Azog leaps up from under the frozen river, as it physically does not make sense. Anyways, what scenes did you dislike the most, or wish were done differently?

May the hair on your toes never fall out!

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Dec 20 2014, 1:38am

Post #2 of 32 (1197 views)
Shortcut
The only scene [In reply to] Can't Post

And I wouldn't say it's necessarily a total dislike, was the Bard riding the cart down the stairs to get to the troll. The CGI in that scene looked "off" especially when he jumps from the cart to the troll. I felt that scene was not that well done from a technical perspective.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

MJM
The Shire

Dec 20 2014, 2:49am

Post #3 of 32 (989 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

The transition of Bard jumping out of the cart and stabbing the ogre looked too... smooth.

May the hair on your toes never fall out!

Glorfindela
Valinor

Dec 20 2014, 2:58am

Post #4 of 32 (1031 views)
Shortcut
For me [In reply to] Can't Post

Anything that isn't that good is completely subsumed by the great moments. Similar to my reaction to the LotR films.Smile

elentari3018
Rohan

Dec 20 2014, 3:21am

Post #5 of 32 (1003 views)
Shortcut
THorin's funeral should've been there... [In reply to] Can't Post

as well as totally changing how Fili, Kli die and the reactions to that. I wish it was really defending Thorin as it should've been from the book.

Not have a romance between Tauriel and Kili and just have Tauriel be the strong elf woman she is... that is enough for me to have...why have romance when it isn't necessary?

Legolas flying through everything as you mentioned should be minimized but i kinda expected that all the cool stunts he'll be a part of.

Less Alfrid, more Beorn would've been appreciated...

Also didn't like Thranduil's bit with Legolas about Strider because book verse, Strider is just a kid so the timeline really doesn't check out even though i know PJ and crew wanted to have a foreshadowing into 60 years later...

"By Elbereth and Luthien the fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me!" ~Frodo

"And then Gandalf arose and bid all men rise, and they rose, and he said: 'Here is a last hail ere the feast endeth. Last but not least. For I name now those who shall not be forgotten and without whose valour nought else that was done would have availed; and I name before you all Frodo of the Shire and Samwise his servant. And the bards and the minstrels should give them new names: Bronwe athan Harthad and Harthad Uluithiad , Endurance beyond Hope and Hope Unquenchable.." ~Gandalf, The End of the Third Age , from The History of Middle Earth series

NateGate
Rivendell

Dec 20 2014, 3:51am

Post #6 of 32 (945 views)
Shortcut
No he isn't.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Strider says in the extended version of Two Towers that he is 87, making him 27 in the Hobbit. So yes, he's a man. He has the blood of a Numenor so he ages very slowly.

elentari3018
Rohan

Dec 20 2014, 3:56am

Post #7 of 32 (917 views)
Shortcut
We are talking about bookverse and in the appendices: [In reply to] Can't Post

Aragorn was born 2931 and the events in the Hobbit takes place in 2941 making him only 10, a little boy.

"By Elbereth and Luthien the fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me!" ~Frodo

"And then Gandalf arose and bid all men rise, and they rose, and he said: 'Here is a last hail ere the feast endeth. Last but not least. For I name now those who shall not be forgotten and without whose valour nought else that was done would have availed; and I name before you all Frodo of the Shire and Samwise his servant. And the bards and the minstrels should give them new names: Bronwe athan Harthad and Harthad Uluithiad , Endurance beyond Hope and Hope Unquenchable.." ~Gandalf, The End of the Third Age , from The History of Middle Earth series

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Dec 20 2014, 4:01am

Post #8 of 32 (908 views)
Shortcut
This is the movies though [In reply to] Can't Post

Not the books. Timelines aren't exact to the books so it makes sense in terms of the timelines in the movies.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

Avandel
Half-elven

Dec 20 2014, 4:05am

Post #9 of 32 (957 views)
Shortcut
A few things: [In reply to] Can't Post

Which isn't saying that the stunning work of the best of BOFAHeartHeartHeart doesn't simply flood out the things I would change. Or I wouldn't go back.

Negatives for me:

The lamentable sidelining of the Company *sigh*.

The DG floating Nine, for one thing.
Looked like beginning level Photoshop IMO - my mouth dropped open at that scene, and not in a good way.

Also Galadriel looking like she is ready to climb out of the TV set. e.g. the film the Ring, and I and still not seeing the point of making her look like that for that scene - what the???

There's other stuff, but those immediately come to mind. Unimpressed

elentari3018
Rohan

Dec 20 2014, 5:36am

Post #10 of 32 (865 views)
Shortcut
Thought we're adapting from the book though.... [In reply to] Can't Post

thought that scene tried too hard...
instead, i wanted more closure on our dead dwarves at the end and screen time could be used for that....

Meneldor
Valinor

Dec 20 2014, 5:43am

Post #11 of 32 (889 views)
Shortcut
Cut Alfrid. [In reply to] Can't Post

More dwarves.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

jtarkey
Rohan

Dec 20 2014, 5:51am

Post #12 of 32 (919 views)
Shortcut
Alfrid single handedly brought the film down a few notches for me [In reply to] Can't Post

Why did they continue to show scenes demonstrating his cowardice? It fellt like his character was being shoved down my throat. I wanted to scream "WE GET IT! HE"S A COWARD!! MOVE ON TO CHARACTERS THAT MATTER!!!!"

Also....

1. Ridiculous Legolas action
2. WAYYY too much CGI
3. Kili/Tauriel romance
4. Confusing Dol Guldor sequence
5. CGI Dain
6. Short ending

I actually thought the first hour of the film had more depth and pathos than AUJ or DOS. Loved Thorins dragon sickness, and Bilbos interactions with everyone. But so many questionable choices drag down what could have been a great film.

There is a truly spectacular version of The Hobbit buried beneath the superfluous action and clunky humor.

"You're love of the halflings leaf has clearly slowed your mind"

^^^ That unnecessary apostrophe and "e" is due to the leaf itself. And this part of the signature was documented quite some time after the effect had worn off.

(This post was edited by jtarkey on Dec 20 2014, 5:57am)

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Dec 20 2014, 6:41am

Post #13 of 32 (899 views)
Shortcut
Fili's death [In reply to] Can't Post

I read some spoilers that complained about it - and I see where they are coming from. I can live with it, I mean he knew he was going to die and was fearful, but most normal people would be in that situation. Still, I wish it had been different. I wish he'd died fighting like Thorin and Kili (LUV Kili's reaction to his brother's death, though). I also don't like what WASN'T there, like the funeral scene, Dain's speech to Bilbo about the treasure, and some explanation about how Gandalf knew about the ring! I suppose this will be in the EE, but I think the worst decision was the 144 minute runtime - even worse than the Kili/Tauriel/Legolas thing. Shouldn't have to wait for the EE to get the movie I want. And WHERE was that cool ice chariot scene???

I MISS THE BATTLE RAMS!!!

Why yes, I DO look like Anna Friel!

Bofur01
Lorien

Dec 20 2014, 10:06am

Post #14 of 32 (801 views)
Shortcut
You don't think the river, as it's next to a waterfall... [In reply to] Can't Post

...could've just been shallow, do you? Tongue

BlackFox
Half-elven

Dec 20 2014, 10:30am

Post #15 of 32 (773 views)
Shortcut
That was probably my least favourite scene as well. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Nightwing
Bree

Dec 20 2014, 10:45am

Post #16 of 32 (773 views)
Shortcut
They did the same with Gimli in Two Towers [In reply to] Can't Post

Short joke after short joke after short joke. We get it. He's short. Enough already.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Dec 20 2014, 11:34am

Post #17 of 32 (772 views)
Shortcut
Oh, I've just thought of something [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't like the way the poor bat was shot by Legolas. I like bats. They are inoffensive creatures and many species are endangered.Frown

Also wasn't keen on Elk and Dain's boar being killed.

I liked other things in the film to different degrees.

Michelle Johnston
Rohan

Dec 20 2014, 1:33pm

Post #18 of 32 (721 views)
Shortcut
Fear Unrealised [In reply to] Can't Post

My fear of this movie is it would contain gratuitous action moments where i went out of the movie like

1) Scene 88

2) The Stone Giants.

3) The Dwarves/ Smaug Erebor three gambit sequence.

I am delighted to say I was fully invested through out the action scenes because they were rooted in character arcs rather appearing like Wellywood action sequences.

I loved Alfrid in the EE of Dos playing off The Master but thought the petty greed arc began to ware thin toward the end of this film.

My Dear Bilbo something is the matter with you! you are not the same hobbit that you were.

(This post was edited by Michelle Johnston on Dec 20 2014, 1:34pm)

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Dec 20 2014, 3:11pm

Post #19 of 32 (665 views)
Shortcut
Mostly connections between scenes, rather than scenes themselves. [In reply to] Can't Post

For example there were rather too many bit-part characters popping up or running through scenes, sharing fortuitously timed bits of exposition. It felt to me rather like the wiring of the narrative was showing.

mirkwoodwanderer
Lorien

Dec 20 2014, 3:37pm

Post #20 of 32 (646 views)
Shortcut
it was a bit too much on animal killing [In reply to] Can't Post

i have to agree

GhostofMacbeth
Bree

Dec 20 2014, 4:21pm

Post #21 of 32 (662 views)
Shortcut
Here is my list of stuff I didn't care for [In reply to] Can't Post

I had a lot of issues with the film but there were a fewer "Mr. Jackson's wild ride" moments that completely yanked me out of the experience. Here is my list of issues.

Smaug seemed like an afterthought.
Too much CG (The Legolas scene, the Dain head bash, the cart ride of Bard, etc.)
Too much Legolas and not grounded enough
The two big battles with the orc leads made the one battle with Azog feel underwhelming.
The running away to Ravenhill seemed to disconnect the story a bit too much from the battle. I always pictured it in the middle of things with people defending Thorin and not some aside.
Fili and Kili should have been defending Thorin
Dwalin should have been there but he just disappeared, poor bodyguard.
Tauriel and Kili was a bit much.
Alfrid was too present and he didn't get his comeuppance
I disliked the battle in many ways. It sort of built, and then they ran off, and then it built and then they ran off and it just didn't have a decent climax.
Beorn was always one of my favorites and I wanted to see him with his proper role, even if it didn't have his proper appearance (Still not a fan of the design)
The mention of Strider was a bit off. I don't mind the mention but he probably didn't have that name yet and it seems that Legolas never found him since they didn't have that connection in LotR.
The company of dwarves were too secondary.
The lack of funeral or any real lead up to the end. Battle done, run away, show up in the Shire a week later with stuff and clean up the house. Bad lead up to the end. I did like the final framing though.

I am glad the battles seemed to have better connection, for the most part, with the swords, etc. The first too movies seemed to have too much swinging through the air with the swords. There was rarely any real impact. There was also less random "rides" but I wish there was more characterization and less bloat and bombast.

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Dec 20 2014, 6:09pm

Post #22 of 32 (641 views)
Shortcut
The majority of the fight/death scenes did not go as I had hoped they would... [In reply to] Can't Post

I had hoped to see Saruman taking on Sauron, Fili and Kili dying defending their battered and bruised uncle, Dain killing Azog, and Beorn killing Bolg. So I did not like the massive liberties PJ took with any of the major fight/death scenes.

Loathed the whole love story, it was even more ham-fisted here than it was in DoS.

Way too much Legolas, Tauriel, and Alfrid for my tastes. We hardly know the majority of the Dwarves even after 3 movies, we got no funeral scenes, no mention of Dain and Bard becoming kings of their respective kingdoms, and Beorn's 10-second scene was completely pointless. I would have rather had the time spent developing those things than all the time that was spent on Alfrid's hijinx, Legolas' ridiculous stunts, and Tauriel's wimpering about love.

But then, I already knew I wasn't going to love this film.

However, I did like Thorin's descent into madness (Mr. Armitage did an excellent job), I liked Dol Guldur up until Galadriel's silly freak-out, the entire opening sequence was killer, I liked Dain (didn't appear to be CGI except for when he was on the pig), and I liked that Gundabad was woven into the plot.

Nira
Lorien

Dec 20 2014, 9:45pm

Post #23 of 32 (586 views)
Shortcut
What is "scene 88" ? [In reply to] Can't Post

"Why, to think of it, we're in the same tale still! It's going on. Don't the great tales never end?" -Samwise

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 20 2014, 10:16pm

Post #24 of 32 (594 views)
Shortcut
Scene 88: The running of the dwarves [In reply to] Can't Post

That's the chase scene when Azog's orc pack is chasing the dwarves before they find the secret entrance to Rivendell. In cast interviews before AUJ came out, several of the actors talked about how they did endless takes of running for Scene 88.

Silverlode

Want a LOTR Anniversary footer of your own? Get one here!

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dűm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

Nira
Lorien

Dec 20 2014, 10:40pm

Post #25 of 32 (590 views)
Shortcut
My top 5: [In reply to] Can't Post

#1: Too much Alfrid (of all the bloody characters!) and just a few seconds of Beorn and Dwarf company. WHY!? Poor writing.

#2: Tauriel would have been such a great, stronger character without the love story. I get that it's probably friendship/platonic love, but it might as well be romantic love- especially from Kili and with the kiss. Why do movies always have to take a supposedly strong female presence and muddle it with romance or turn her weak?

#3: I don't care what elves think of fallen dwarves, I want to see the dwarf company around their dead. Not enough emotional drama in the deaths, but better that than over-the-top drama, I suppose.

#4: Were any Scots somewhat insulted by the over-the-top stereotypical portrayal of Dain (or another dwarf)? I was wincing in embarrassment about what Scottish people who see this would think. I love Scotland so much, so please let me know; I don't want to wince every time I watch the movies and hear a "laddy" etc.

#5: Galadriel going dark crazy was just as confusing here as it was in LOTR. I get what the writers were trying to do, but it's just too weird and out of place given what we know in the movies.

Honorable Mention: Sorry, but I didn't care for the very last scene. It's too long, especially for being a repeat of what is to come. I don't need the dots placed that close together (or overlapping in this case) to connect to LOTR. They could have been a little more creative.

Not on my list: CG and Legolas's crazy stunts. I've accepted that they will happen and try not to think about them.

"Why, to think of it, we're in the same tale still! It's going on. Don't the great tales never end?" -Samwise

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.