The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
New information from Chronicles

Hobbity Hobbit
Lorien

Dec 19 2014, 8:56pm

Post #1 of 16 (1892 views)
Shortcut
New information from Chronicles Can't Post

I had a discussion before, so if its fine, I'm just bringing it to the front because it has fallen back a page. This was a response, so I put parentheses saying what I was talking about.

Just mentioning sequences with him (Thrain). Also yes, that's the picture, there's also a ton of concept art. (Talking about Galadriel and Nenya) The quote was "Nenya, which would manifest flashes of fallen Elven heroes like Gil-galad or Earendil whenever he tried to strike her." That being Azog, and her protecting Gandalf. They also it seems were planning in having Celeborn and a few Lothlorien elves. There isn't way too much, but it suggests a longer fight and a differently played out Galadriel vs Sauron something about her harnessing the power of Dol Guldur, and her clothing was going to become torn which is why she looks like that, though she would continue absorbing power. It seems that there was a sequence before she fought Sauron. Also her in that sequences wasn't CGI it was a real costume. Also Thorin's Tomb takes up two pages, though it's just concept art and the picture. Also the chariot might of been cut out, because it seems that Thorin and a few others were going to be riding it to Ravenhill. Also the book suggests a longer battle, saying that Balin would be leading the army in Thorin's absence. Also Dain's Coronation apparel is in this book, he's wearing something like Thror's. It said Thrain had a red axe, and they weren't really clear, so possibly Dain uses Thrain's axe? Originally Dain was going to enter on a war-chariot, with either rams (is that it?) or pigs? Also they actually built the chariot, and it apparently had a crossbow attached to it.

Also they are using a new technique, they take pictures, so in the parts where for example the Lake-men are traveling, they have been put in CGI, and the place around them is a photograph with textures on them or it might be real didn't really specify.

"As the snowflakes cover my fallen brothers,
I will say this last goodbye."-from "The Last Goodbye"

deskp
Lorien

Dec 19 2014, 9:10pm

Post #2 of 16 (1193 views)
Shortcut
well [In reply to] Can't Post

The behidn the scenes vids show the chariot, with fili,kili,balin,dwalin on it in. (withouth full costumes)

Hobbity Hobbit
Lorien

Dec 19 2014, 9:12pm

Post #3 of 16 (1161 views)
Shortcut
It might of been another sequence or maybe more chariots? [In reply to] Can't Post

I realized that looking back, they never actually mentioned that part, maybe there is more chariots?

deskp
Lorien

Dec 19 2014, 9:14pm

Post #4 of 16 (1142 views)
Shortcut
think theres only 1 [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www-images.theonering.org/...ldlce-extrasve25.jpg

(This post was edited by deskp on Dec 19 2014, 9:14pm)

Hobbity Hobbit
Lorien

Dec 19 2014, 9:14pm

Post #5 of 16 (1235 views)
Shortcut
There's also a new picture [In reply to] Can't Post

The chariot does have them in it, it seems that there is more battle between their exit and to Ravenhill because the chariots wouldn't have arrived until the beginning of the battle.

deskp
Lorien

Dec 19 2014, 9:18pm

Post #6 of 16 (1128 views)
Shortcut
hm [In reply to] Can't Post

I prefer if we never see the chariots in the EE, but i desperatley want more BATTLE OF FIVE ARMIES

Carne
Tol Eressea

Dec 19 2014, 9:23pm

Post #7 of 16 (1107 views)
Shortcut
I hope we get to see that crossbow in action! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Hobbity Hobbit
Lorien

Dec 19 2014, 9:25pm

Post #8 of 16 (1114 views)
Shortcut
Hmm [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree, though it seems the chariot will appear because they have to pass through Dale and get to Ravenhill. There's still sections they have to go through. Also ogres are confirmed. Also it is confirmed that we will see more of the battle at least in concepts, there's a concept of Balin leading an army and Ori and someone else attacking. Also of Bilbo Baggins passing through the battlefield, there's more concepts and it seems like there is going to be more of that. Also there's a few new weapons and new beasts. Also there's a ton of concepts of the rest of the company fighting and Bombur. Also the concept on the pig seems like Dwalin not Dain, and it seems like a bunch of the company are on pigs. Though like Into the Fire had, there is the company fighting. Also Gandalf was going to have a vision of Bilbo in mortal danger, a statue falling on him, but he gets saved. Though this part has been dropped.

(This post was edited by Hobbity Hobbit on Dec 19 2014, 9:29pm)

HiddenSpring
Lorien

Dec 19 2014, 11:19pm

Post #9 of 16 (1045 views)
Shortcut
Wow. Interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

Looks like Celeborn almost made it into the trilogy. Also, the whole torn clothes thing sounds like it would've made for a better battle, more physical if you will.

Thrain II
Lorien

Dec 19 2014, 11:39pm

Post #10 of 16 (1003 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the answers! [In reply to] Can't Post

Do they elaborate about the change of Bolgs design? Is there anything on Dol Guldur 'warden' we see before Galadriel sends him flying? Cool
If you can find anything more interesting (maybe regarding EE) please feel free to share!Wink

Hobbity Hobbit
Lorien

Dec 19 2014, 11:57pm

Post #11 of 16 (993 views)
Shortcut
Actually [In reply to] Can't Post

It seems the way they mentioned this that it did happen, that why she looks so strange, in that costume, using her powers. It wasn't CGI. Maybe it's in the EE, but she's behind Elrond and Saruman for most of the time.

Hobbity Hobbit
Lorien

Dec 20 2014, 12:07am

Post #12 of 16 (1011 views)
Shortcut
Possible EE [In reply to] Can't Post

Possible EE from what I've ready so far
-Smaug's attack, proof-they were talking about how they put a silhouette of people as the fire came
-More Dol Guldur, extended Galadriel sequence, possibly Vision
-Beorn carrying Thorin, proof-concepts and mentioning, though there is proof that the people who defeated the two will be the same. I hope its' in their its' going to be amazing.
-Battle, proof- concept of the company in battle (tons of them)
-Bilbo Baggins traveling through the battlefield to Ravenhill, proof-concepts
-Extended Gandalf, Tauriel, Legolas, and Thranduil, proof-concepts and diaries (it seems that they meet in the diaries, though they all appear in Dale so might not be extended)
-More Beasts, proof-tons of concepts of the worms and other new beasts that we have never seen
-Longer ending: proof- no pages talking about Bard, though pages talking about Dain's Coronation and Thorin's Funeral. Also there was a letter before from after the journey from the living company to Bilbo Baggins, from a picture before.

Michelle Johnston
Rohan

Dec 20 2014, 8:42am

Post #13 of 16 (855 views)
Shortcut
Uncovering Azog 2011 style [In reply to] Can't Post

To quote your post "That being Azog, and her protecting Gandalf".

Your quote from the chronicles gives us a further insight into the material filmed in block 1 when Conan Stevens was cast and playing Azog.

Clearly Azog was not only intended to confront Gandalf in Film 1 which would lead to his incarceration by Sauron but Galadriel in Film 2 when she full fills her promise.

The difficulty I had with this idea and the Dol Gulder sub plot in a more general way was that the defeat at DG could not be to great otherwise the tension goes out of the movie. Sauron spirit clearly survives the confrontation with the White Council but for Azog to be defeated by Galadriel and then be involved in the BOFA would have never worked. If he had retained the Conan Stevens Azog arc would Bolg have lead the armies to Erebor?

I think not, I suspect for a very short while in 2012 CS and his scenes did become Bolg he was defeated by Galadriel and John Rawls Azog would film Azanulbizar with the intension of building up the animosity between Thorin and Azog. and completing the arc as indeed we see on film. The move from John Rawls to Manu was an aesthetic one rather than plot change driven.

The Makoare/Tui Bolg of the actual movies achieved two results:-

1) It reinforced the stature and importance of Azog as the leader of legions.

2) It tied legolas more closely into the movie and the central story arcs.

My Dear Bilbo something is the matter with you! you are not the same hobbit that you were.

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Dec 20 2014, 1:30pm

Post #14 of 16 (777 views)
Shortcut
And... [In reply to] Can't Post

If they planned always to have a second Orc army arrive from Gundabad, it gave that army a leader we would recognize.

Hobbity Hobbit
Lorien

Dec 20 2014, 1:56pm

Post #15 of 16 (773 views)
Shortcut
Yes sorry if I wasn't clear [In reply to] Can't Post

They said that was dropped, and that the Beorn and Radagast was dropped. Also I'm not sure if I put it but the Gandalf and Bilbo Baggins vision was dropped too.

"Why does it hurt so much?"
"Because it was real."
(PLEASE DON'T HURT ME)

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song above gold, the world would be a merrier place."-BotFA/The Hobbit

Michelle Johnston
Rohan

Dec 20 2014, 4:39pm

Post #16 of 16 (742 views)
Shortcut
Good Point which also leads to... [In reply to] Can't Post

If Conan Stevens was filmed as Azog in that confrontation with Galadriel in the two film split was their indeed a Dol Gulder army, had it already left and whom was leading it.

I think not by summer 2012 I suspect CS was Bolg and out of the narrative after the Galadriel encounter and John Rawls as Azog was planned to lead the Gunderbad army march on Erebor and complete his Thorin arc.

My understanding in the two film outcome is the sub plot stopped at the reveal of Sauron at the end of film1 whereas the plot stopped at the encounter with Bard. To unleash an army at that point would be to early in the plot narrative.

My Dear Bilbo something is the matter with you! you are not the same hobbit that you were.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.