Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Insert Tauriel in LOTR??? (PJ interview)
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

BurglarHobbit

Dec 19 2014, 8:30pm

Post #1 of 41 (2227 views)
Shortcut
Insert Tauriel in LOTR??? (PJ interview) Can't Post

Now that the entire franchise is done, are there any characters from "The Hobbit" that you're sad you can't move into "Lord of the Rings"?

PB: You're the person to ask that!

PJ: You mean retrospectively?

PB: Tauriel.

PJ: Tauriel.

PB: I actually think the young girls are going to start watching this 1, 2, 3 and they're going to start wondering where she is.

PJ: We're really three or four years away from eight and nine year-olds discovering these movies and watching them in this order and will be wondering why she doesn't show up in "Lord of the Rings." Maybe we'll get Evangeline down to New Zealand, shoot a bunch of stuff, chop it up and put it into a box set.

I wouldnt mind putting Martin Freeman's finding of the Ring at the beginning of FOTR, but this would be going seriously into George Lucas territory. I hope it was a joke

Loxii
The Shire

Dec 19 2014, 8:38pm

Post #2 of 41 (1308 views)
Shortcut
Thranduil [In reply to] Can't Post

I think I would have liked a scene with Thranduil in LOTR, maybe him getting a message from Elrond in FOTR about the meeting in Rivendell. Then looking over at Legolas and sending him.

But then again, I'm not sure if this is accurate to canon. >.> Why did Legolas appear at the summit instead of Thranduil? And what terms were they on at that point? -confused-

Brandybuckled
Lorien

Dec 19 2014, 8:39pm

Post #3 of 41 (1241 views)
Shortcut
Now it begins... [In reply to] Can't Post

Hobbit Gold Sickness >>>> Director/Producer Lucas Syndrome.CoolSlyLaugh

Legolas Shot First!!!

NAArP: Not An Ardent purist since Arda was dented

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Dec 19 2014, 8:43pm

Post #4 of 41 (1155 views)
Shortcut
LOL [In reply to] Can't Post

Settle down, guys. :D

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

HeadingSouth
Bree

Dec 19 2014, 8:43pm

Post #5 of 41 (1108 views)
Shortcut
H [In reply to] Can't Post

It's amazing how George Lucas has become a blueprint for so many other directors. This is actually unsurprising.

Elskidor
Rohan

Dec 19 2014, 8:47pm

Post #6 of 41 (1110 views)
Shortcut
Hmm..no [In reply to] Can't Post

Martin Freeman finding the ring works. There are few minor things that could be wedged into LoTR harmlessly, but Tauriel is not among those things, imo.

Oleander Took
Rivendell

Dec 19 2014, 9:00pm

Post #7 of 41 (1098 views)
Shortcut
Very much hope they were joking!! [In reply to] Can't Post

and joking BADLY!!

Add her in LOTR and i won't touch it ever again unless it's the versions we have now.

Want to add Hobbit characters to LOTR?:

- Thranduil was in The Last Alliance battle. Seeing him for 2 seconds there i can have.

- Fix with CGI (not much) one of the dwarves at Elrond's council to make him look more like Gloin? maybe bit extreme but ok, he was there

- Place an ear trumpet at Moria's door? fine too, reference and not intrusive

All those? I could pass,
Her? no way. She has no place in LOTR

"The closer you to get to light, the greater your shadow becomes"

Lindele
Gondor

Dec 19 2014, 9:12pm

Post #8 of 41 (1135 views)
Shortcut
Did you see BOTFA? [In reply to] Can't Post

SPOILER

Legolas doesn't go back to Thranduil's kingdom.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Dec 19 2014, 9:12pm

Post #9 of 41 (1038 views)
Shortcut
Holy cow! [In reply to] Can't Post

That must be a sign of an approaching apocalypse! Shocked

*runs for cover*

Lindele
Gondor

Dec 19 2014, 9:13pm

Post #10 of 41 (1068 views)
Shortcut
Replace Gollum in FOTR [In reply to] Can't Post

and I'm happy

Cillendor
Lorien

Dec 19 2014, 9:34pm

Post #11 of 41 (1046 views)
Shortcut
I SHOULD HOPE NOT! [In reply to] Can't Post

Acceptable changes (both trilogies):
  • Replacing Thranduil's scar scene with a flashback to the Battle of the Last Alliance where Oropher dies (DOS)
  • Removing references to the supposed Elf/Orc war at Gundabad (BOTFA)
  • Updating FOTR opening with Martin Freeman finding the Ring (FOTR)
  • Replacing all Gollum shots in FOTR with Andy Serkis' design (FOTR)
  • Adding glow to Orcrist and Glamdring (all)
  • Showing Thrain run into Moria and seeing the Balrog (DOS)
  • Showing a flashback of Balin, Ori, and the others under attack in Moria (perhaps as Gandalf reads from Ori's book) (FOTR)
  • Retconning Gloin's design (FOTR)
  • Restoring the original music for Thorin v. Azog (AUJ)
  • Referencing Celeborn during Dol Guldur fight (BOTFA)
  • Changing "Oakenshield" > "Thorin" in Smaug's dialog (DOS)

Unacceptable changes (LOTR):
  • Showing/discussing/referencing/thinking about Tauriel

Danielos
Rohan

Dec 19 2014, 9:43pm

Post #12 of 41 (979 views)
Shortcut
More [In reply to] Can't Post

I would have liked some references in FOTR to the Necromancer and the events in Dol Guldur.

kiwifan
Rohan

Dec 19 2014, 10:47pm

Post #13 of 41 (955 views)
Shortcut
He doesn't return right away, that's true [In reply to] Can't Post

but he will eventually (see LotR book, the council at Rivendell when he talks about Gollum's escape from the Woodland Realm, they were supposed to guard him there).

'Goodness gracious, you really are a messie!' 'Oh no, I'm not, these are all just mathoms...'

kiwifan
Rohan

Dec 19 2014, 10:53pm

Post #14 of 41 (890 views)
Shortcut
Totally with you on this, on all points [In reply to] Can't Post

Tauriel works in the 'Hobbit' films (to my surprise I found myself quite liking her and her role, with a few exceptions) but no way does she belong in LotR. I think she returned to the Woodland Realm with Thranduil after the big battle at Erebor, (and I hope they both attended the funeral of Thorin, Fili and Kili, which I hope we'll see in the EE), or perhaps she eventually took a ship into the West. But to get her involved in LotR, no, no, no, unless they start adding stuff showing Thranduil and his Elves fighting Sauron's northern army (which he did, I think it's in the appendices, and there she could still be and in her element).

'Goodness gracious, you really are a messie!' 'Oh no, I'm not, these are all just mathoms...'

kiwifan
Rohan

Dec 19 2014, 11:03pm

Post #15 of 41 (873 views)
Shortcut
Oh please PJ read Cillendor's list! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm so with you, and most fervently wish that super-awful bit with Thranduil's face morphing into this zombie mask to disappear forever (totally wrecked an otherwise powerful scene for me in DoS).

Do you think seeing the Balrog made Thráin lose his mind?

Elskidor
Rohan

Dec 19 2014, 11:06pm

Post #16 of 41 (856 views)
Shortcut
Maybe [In reply to] Can't Post

This will be one of the new movies. Tales of Mirkwood and their struggles during LotR. I'd like a Balin and Moria tale myself though.

Remus
Lorien

Dec 19 2014, 11:37pm

Post #17 of 41 (848 views)
Shortcut
Do you guys think PJ will do a George Lucas and [In reply to] Can't Post

and go back the old trilogy, and doing some new stuff. Like Saurons eye looking more like in the Hobbit with sometimes a visible Sauron in it?

I imagined from now on when Pippin is seeing Sauron in the palantir/his mind that it's burning all around him and this dark window stands infront of him. And he looks like exactly he did in the Dol Guldur battle with Galadriel.

HUGE and really scary. Looking at Pippin and talking to him, questioning him.

Maybe PJ will redo some things, update the visuals? the CGI? Update Saurons eye?

I can really see that happening in a few years/coming years. Like GL did with the old SW trilogy. Updating Palpatines face in the hologram. Making the lightsabers better looking and more "up to date" and much much more.

(This post was edited by Remus on Dec 19 2014, 11:38pm)

xxxyyy
Rohan

Dec 19 2014, 11:41pm

Post #18 of 41 (844 views)
Shortcut
If it's done right, why not? Also, please replace Holm and Gollum in FOTR! [In reply to] Can't Post

Holm finding the Ring with Freeman... that would make sense. Why bringing up the name of Lucas here? If it makes sense, it's not Lucas.
Gollum is another must change.

Mr Jackson, please have some humility and go ask Mr Lucas how he would do these changes... and then just do the opposite and you'll be fine.

By the way, where exactly this interview can be found?

BurglarHobbit

Dec 19 2014, 11:42pm

Post #19 of 41 (815 views)
Shortcut
URL [In reply to] Can't Post

http://news.moviefone.com/2014/12/19/peter-jackson-philippa-boyens-the-hobbit-interview/

DwellerInDale
Rohan

Dec 20 2014, 1:00am

Post #20 of 41 (771 views)
Shortcut
Insert the scene from the book as a flashback: [In reply to] Can't Post

FOTR, from the Council of Elrond: Legolas describes the escape of Gollum from the Elf Guards of Mirkwood, and how they tracked him until he entered the ruins of Dol Guldur. Gloin is in the scene as well. As Captain of the Guards, Tauriel would certainly have been there.

Don't mess with my favorite female elf.

mirkwoodwanderer
Lorien

Dec 20 2014, 1:09am

Post #21 of 41 (749 views)
Shortcut
this would be super. [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope they do it..

Radagast, Tauriel, more Galandriel
The real Bilbo (Martin) .. and of course Thranduil.

They should be put in extra material. Those who don't like it.

Do not buy it.. for the fans it would be super.

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Dec 20 2014, 2:38am

Post #22 of 41 (733 views)
Shortcut
He should be... [In reply to] Can't Post

In the FotR prologue, in the battle of the Last Alliance. Because he was there, in the books, with his father (who fell, leaving him King).

DigificWriter
Lorien

Dec 20 2014, 3:01am

Post #23 of 41 (709 views)
Shortcut
Inserting Tauriel and others doesn't NEED to be done... [In reply to] Can't Post

... but I wouldn't be opposed to it happening.

I do wonder where you could insert Tauriel into LotR, but I have faith that PJ and Co. could find a way to make it work.

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Dec 20 2014, 3:04am

Post #24 of 41 (677 views)
Shortcut
which is hilarious.... [In reply to] Can't Post

because Lucas is following the pattern of the Hero Journey seen in LOTR..

I personally illustrated a fanfic back in 1978 which sent up the incredible similarities between LOTR and Star Wars (use the Force, Luko... and that blond, er gold, guy and the dwarf, er, short droid)... and Arahan...

"Judge me by my size, would you?" Max the Hobbit Husky.

Hanzkaz
Rohan

Dec 20 2014, 4:26am

Post #25 of 41 (659 views)
Shortcut
I never had an issue with what George Lucas was trying to do - [In reply to] Can't Post

- with the Star Wars prequels. The problem was the execution.

I'm fine with them showing the Martin Freeman version of Bilbo finding the Ring and improving CGI, but if they want to include the likes of Thranduil and Tauriel, I'd prefer they did a whole other movie.

For example, instead of trying to insert Thranduil into the Last Alliance scene in FOTR, in the new movie, they could do something similar, perhaps even showing the deaths of Oropher and Gil-Galad.

Actually, I think I'd like to see a Thranduil-centric War in the North movie. I mean, the guy's got issues. The death of his father, his wife, his history with dragons, his not-so-easygoing personality and relationship with his allies - he's more like an anti-hero instead of your typical MIddle-Earth hero.

This reminds me of Tolkien's attempts to rewrite the Hobbit. I think one solution would have been to write a parallel novel about Gandalf and the White Council's dealings with the Necromancer. The original children's book would have been preserved, while we would have got a darker-toned novel about the return of Sauron.

If they really want to bring back certain 'Hobbit' characters, instead of trying to insert them here and there in the LOTR fims, give their own War of the Ring movie.

From the makers of 'The Lord of the Rings' comes the sequel to Peter Jackson's Hobbit Trilogy -
'The War in the North, Part I : The Sword in the Tomb'.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.