Thranduil Appreciation Thread Part XXVIII
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

stn5
The Shire

Dec 18 2014, 2:42pm

Post #126 of 208 (1514 views)
Shortcut
     more interview [In reply to]  

Stylistically, there’s great continuity between all six films.

PJ: We’ve always approached as history, not fantasy. Not because the fantasy is something to be embarrassed about, because it’s not, I love it. But I always think that fantasy movies have been a little bit condescending. The danger with fantasy is that it can become too scattered when you’re dealing with three or four hundred crew in capacities who design little bits and pieces.

LP: But it’s style too. You can’t buy style. You can’t fake style.

PJ: Well, that’s why we hired you to play Thranduil. We had actors with style. Elves are hard to cast. Elves are the hardest to cast, because elves are perfection that the majority of us. They have to be a little otherworldly, and they’re really a pain in the ass to cast. It’s tricky. But we’ve been lucky.

PB: What was interesting was that he’s younger than his son. That’s the other great thing about it.

LP: When you’re thousands of years old, a few years doesn’t really make a difference.

stn5
The Shire

Dec 18 2014, 2:51pm

Post #127 of 208 (1505 views)
Shortcut
     Thranduil - King of Mirkwood and Single Parent [In reply to]  

The Hobbit: The Battle of Five Armies

Thranduil: Well, where is my son?
Random elf: He said he’s not coming home if his friend isn’t allowed to come
too.
Thranduil: …

Legolas: If you harm her you will have to kill me.
Thranduil: Really, we’re doing this now? In front of the peasants? …When
there is war everywhere?

Legolas: I’m not coming home.
Thranduil: And where are you going to go?
Legolas: I don’t know.
Thranduil: …
Legolas: …
Thranduil: Look, go North. I know a guy.

Lord of the Rings

Thranduil: …What did you say?
Elf messenger: Your son has volunteered to accompany 4 hobbits, 2 men, 1
dwarf and a wizard on a quest to Mordor to destroy the one ring.
Thranduil: …Of course he has. Of…course.

After Lord of the Rings

Elf: Sire, your son has returned…but…
Thranduil: But what now?
Elf: He has brought a dwarf with him.
Thranduil: -sigh- A phase. It’s just a phase.

(This post was edited by stn5 on Dec 18 2014, 3:04pm)

stn5
The Shire

Dec 18 2014, 3:03pm

Post #128 of 208 (1513 views)
Shortcut
     Legolas lost BOTH his White Knives [In reply to]  

one of it in Borg skull but I did not know where is the other one. at the end scene when Legolas talk with Thranduil, both his white knives was missing.

it is interesting because in FOTR when legolas riding to Rivendell, he already have his knives back...

Wonder who find & keep it for him..

I hope it Thranduil Heart

and the white knives become a sentimental value to Thranduil to remember his son while he is away. And when Legolas return, he give it back to him before Legolas ride to Rivendell....

AHHH..........someone please write a fanfiction for this!!!!! BlushBlushBlush

VValar
Gondor

Dec 19 2014, 12:04am

Post #129 of 208 (1505 views)
Shortcut
     *SQUEE* MASSIVE COOLNESSS [In reply to]  

Ok need to view it again to process the coolness of it all. How come the filmmakers didn't include any of this? All we got were a lousy couple of seconds of Thranduil fighting a few Orcs. Where is that wow factor? That moment in theatre where the audience goes 'Oh that's where Legolas got his skills from'

Such a BIG MISS. But I'm very happy you posted it! Thanks for it Heart

If your ears aren't pointy, you're doing it wrong.

Me85
Rivendell

Dec 19 2014, 1:40am

Post #130 of 208 (1445 views)
Shortcut
     Yes! [In reply to]  

It would have been so cool if he fought something bigger than an orc.
So bummed they didn't include that. Instead we get too much of Legolas.Frown

On_the_partyelk
Lorien

Dec 19 2014, 3:26am

Post #131 of 208 (1458 views)
Shortcut
     I know, right?! [In reply to]  

I think we are not alone with the question why they didn't go for that. I might be, and probably am biased, but I find they could've cut some other scenes short (or even completely) and give him more action. They had the ideas, they had the opportunities, but missed them. The longer it was ago I saw the movie the more I am dissapointed, but that is an entirely different topic- sorry. Anyways...

My pleasure, I like sharing the Pretty things. Wink

The fortunes of the world will rise and fall, but here in this kingdom we will endure!

Me85
Rivendell

Dec 19 2014, 4:20am

Post #132 of 208 (1481 views)
Shortcut
     i was already disappointed that they didn't show more of him in action... [In reply to]  

But now that i've seen those pics you posted, knowing that they had these ideas for him but decided in the end not to use them, i"m even more disappointed. *sigh*

Did you all read the explanation next to it?
First paragraph says:

"The way the sequence was described to us Thranduil was holding back in the battle for Dale but once he decides to get involved himself we should see something extraordinary. He is Legolas' father after all, a lord among the Sindar elves".

We should have gotten something extraordinary from legolas' father...

(This post was edited by Me85 on Dec 19 2014, 4:22am)

Saneliur
Bree

Dec 19 2014, 7:14am

Post #133 of 208 (1403 views)
Shortcut
     I think (or at least hope) [In reply to]  

...that we will get more Thranduil fighting action in the EE.

"The way the sequence was described to us Thranduil was holding back in the battle for Dale but once he decides to get involved himself we should see something extraordinary."

We didn't get to see Thranduil get involved after his confrontation with Tauriel. He does change his mind about leaving after that.

But how does he get out of Dale? How does he get to Ravenhill? I think part of the battle after this got cut. I remember seeing finished battle clips in some recent TV spots that weren't in the movie. Hopefully it will be in the EE *crosses fingers*

VValar
Gondor

Dec 19 2014, 9:38am

Post #134 of 208 (1417 views)
Shortcut
     And Eruvandi, have you seen it yet? [In reply to]  

I believe it opened this week in the US Angelic

VValar
Gondor

Dec 19 2014, 9:41am

Post #135 of 208 (1428 views)
Shortcut
     Legolas' knives [In reply to]  

One got smashed when Bolg died (big rock fell on top of him). Where did the other one go? Hmm mystery....

But I'm sure Thranduil would make two more identical knives in Mirkwood on his son's return Smile

VValar
Gondor

Dec 19 2014, 9:45am

Post #136 of 208 (1425 views)
Shortcut
     Maybe there will be more Thranduil fighting in the EE - when he gets to Ravenhill? [In reply to]  

Because we know he goes to Ravenhill (alone?? did anyone see other Elves join him?) to 'search?' for Legolas. At least it appeared he was searching for something and looked relieved when he saw Legolas. Furthemore if Thorin hadn't succeeded in killing Azog, I think Thranduil would have. Since the survival of Azog would not have been favorable for Mirkwood as well (being so close to Erebor).

It wouldn't have been a walk in the park to get to Ravenhill I suppose. With an Orc army fighting in between Ravenhill and Dale... So where are those precious fighting moments we haven't seen yet where Thranduil is fighting to get to his son in time HeartHeart (yes I still want to believe he came to Ravenhill for Leggy HeartHeart)

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Dec 19 2014, 9:55am

Post #137 of 208 (1418 views)
Shortcut
     Wow... we're still on TAXXVIII and we're on page 20 in the forum?! [In reply to]  

Hey everyone!

I'm back! It's really good to be back, because Thranduil! Oh my... just THUDDERLY goodness all round.Heart (The movie is another matter, imo, and i'm still trying to gather, compose and structure my feels and thoughtsCrazy)

Rather surprised we're still on #28 thoughTongue Right, off to check PMs and rummage through the thread.

"I'll say dark and gritty, which, with the Elvenking, translates as Hot and Sexy. Cool" - vanima ephel

I fancy myself an ME BFF (Book/Film Fan) Smile
(Aaaaand a gushy Thranduil fangurl before The Hobbit movies; still a gushy Thranduil fangurl through them. Laugh)

HeartThranduil Appreciation. Threadcount: XXVII
I | II | III | IV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII | XVIII | XIX | XX | XXI | XXII | XXIII | XXIV | XXV | XXVI

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBotFA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======
Middle-earth dispatches out of the lurkmirk

mariel
Lorien

Dec 19 2014, 10:22am

Post #138 of 208 (1373 views)
Shortcut
     Welcome back [In reply to]  

Have mixed feelings about the film myself. Hmm.

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Dec 19 2014, 10:31am

Post #139 of 208 (1409 views)
Shortcut
     6000th TA post! Yay, VValar! [In reply to]  

"I'll say dark and gritty, which, with the Elvenking, translates as Hot and Sexy. Cool" - vanima ephel

(Aaaaand a gushy Thranduil fangurl before The Hobbit movies; still a gushy Thranduil fangurl through them. Laugh)

I | II | III | IV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII | XVIII | XIX | XX | XXI | XXII | XXIII | XXIV | XXV | XXVI

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBotFA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Dec 19 2014, 10:36am

Post #140 of 208 (1394 views)
Shortcut
     *off-key whistle of appreciation* [In reply to]  

Wow... now THIS is what I wanted to see of Thranduil's awesome fighting reputation!Heart

Thanks for sharing, On_the_partyelk!

PS: hope you don't mind, and you don't have to answer this, but from one long-nick-user to another just cos...is there a short version of your nick you'd not mind to have others refer to you by?

=======

BlackFox
Half-elven

Dec 19 2014, 10:39am

Post #141 of 208 (1374 views)
Shortcut
     Welcome back, Lurker! [In reply to]  

These threads just aren't the same without you. And I'm not even a TA regular. Smile

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Dec 19 2014, 10:41am

Post #142 of 208 (1396 views)
Shortcut
     Hello mariel *waves* [In reply to]  

In Reply To
Have mixed feelings about the film myself. Hmm.

Et tu? Do we want to talk about it here, or should we go elsewhere to discuss? I must say though, even though it's been more than 40 hours since my first viewing of BotFA, I hadn't returned sooner because I'm really not sure how to process my feels. I guess part of it is that so much of my impressions and thoughts are based on what they did with Thranduil, and the book, I wonder if I'm looking at it with the right mindset. Plus, at the same time that the marathon was ongoing, there was important RL stuff that kept distracting me at the same time, all the way through itCrazy

=======

mariel
Lorien

Dec 19 2014, 11:19am

Post #143 of 208 (1387 views)
Shortcut
     Well [In reply to]  

I was prepared for the fact that this wasn't going to be book Thranduil, and I did like a lot of what they changed his character to because he was very interesting. However, I didn't like that they made him so cold and seemingly indifferent to the fate of other peoples. [Although, having said that, he is not completely indifferent to the Laketown people as he did bring food to them, even though he then said they mistook this gesture and he was only there for his own reasons. He didn't have to bring the food after all].

I know from having read the background the film makers have given to his character that he is deeply affected by the death of his wife, but I don't think that was told effectively in the film and I don't think his seeming obsession with getting back the necklace was as a result of this was explained at all. As a result, I think anyone not knowing this beforehand is going to see him as simply being antagonistic and unsympathetic

I was also disappointed by the way they depicted his relationship with Legolas. If they had decided he was broken hearted by the death of his wife, why did they have to break it all over again with Legolas leaving him in such an abrupt and cold way. Also felt this was an abrupt ending for him - did he get the necklace back for instance? So much left unresolved

This is a bit of a rushed initial assessment - must get on with RL for the moment

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Dec 19 2014, 11:33am

Post #144 of 208 (1351 views)
Shortcut
     Hey there, BlackFox! [In reply to]  

In Reply To
These threads just aren't the same without you. And I'm not even a TA regular. Smile

Awww... I don't know what to say, except this: Thanks! Blush

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Dec 19 2014, 11:57am

Post #145 of 208 (1382 views)
Shortcut
     I'm with you [In reply to]  

I really still can't process the movie, but I am liking this Silmmie Elf they've made out of Thranduil, because, like you, I find he is really much more interesting than the others we've seen so far.

In Reply To
However, I didn't like that they made him so cold and seemingly indifferent to the fate of other peoples. [Although, having said that, he is not completely indifferent to the Laketown people as he did bring food to them, even though he then said they mistook this gesture and he was only there for his own reasons. He didn't have to bring the food after all].

I found it intriguing that despite appearing cold and indifferent, GOOD THINGS happen. The aid to Laketown for one. Mulling on it, I found it refreshing that he corrected Bard's impression instead of milking it for what's it worth. And the army joining in/jumping over the Dwarves to clash with the Orc onslaught. And Thranduil rushing back to Dale with his army. (And really, no follow-up to Bubba's fall?Crazy)

In Reply To
I know from having read the background the film makers have given to his character that he is deeply affected by the death of his wife, but I don't think that was told effectively in the film and I don't think his seeming obsession with getting back the necklace was as a result of this was explained at all. As a result, I think anyone not knowing this beforehand is going to see him as simply being antagonistic and unsympathetic

I was also disappointed by the way they depicted his relationship with Legolas. If they had decided he was broken hearted by the death of his wife, why did they have to break it all over again with Legolas leaving him in such an abrupt and cold way. Also felt this was an abrupt ending for him - did he get the necklace back for instance? So much left unresolved

Absolutely.
I hate to say so, but I do think we're going to have to look to the EE for the missing connecting bits, though I wouldn't bet my life that we'd get all the answers.

I am still highly unimpressed with the Elf-Dwarf side plot (it is as cringe-worthy as I thought it was shaping up to be, just a great big poo-poo to all that talk about female representation and all that time given to building Tauriel up in DoS), and what the heck was Legolas on?, not reacting to Tauriel's really OOC as an Elf gesture of threatening the King and his father that way, but instead totally taking her side in the confrontation.

The last scene between Thranduil and Legolas was also a great "HUH" for me. I'm not the best about canon, and I'd probably need to verify this, but falling on the researched to death bitses burned in my mind for my little hunt for Gollum fic... the timeline for what Thranduil suggested to Legolas to do just don't make sense.Crazy

And speaking of RL, dinner issues beckon. I'll be back too.Smile

=======

On_the_partyelk
Lorien

Dec 19 2014, 12:16pm

Post #146 of 208 (1398 views)
Shortcut
     :( [In reply to]  

Thranduil clearly is a fanfave, if not even THE fanfave (and from what I have this is pretty much the case), all the reason more IDG why they didn't give him bigger (fighting)scenes. And that they made him generally more or less the bad guy and have even his own son stand against him (whether Lego saw that Tauriel aimed at his father or not, it's just so weird to see Lego stand against him so easily, he should know his father better, especially, and if I remember correctly in DOS he was on the side of his father, saying she betrayed the king's trust and all and now suddenly this? So so strange), when he clearly is NOT is really beyond me. In fact after all what they said in interviews about his backstory...to me he is the strongest and bravest of them all, far from being the AH they partly portrait him as. (even though I am quite very fond of his arrogance in terms of finding it utterly sexy)

I am obviously no crack when it comes to LOTR/TH, but I think one doesn't have to be to see they did a few (or more) mistakes, and not only regarding Thranduil. IMHO.

And as for reading what the text said: WHY did they even bother making such good stuff up for Thranduil when they eventually wouldn't go for even 20% of it? And then release all the ideas and people see "Awesome, that is what we COULD've seen?", it's a bit of a slap in the face. :/

It's probably in vain, but I'm hoping EE will make a little up for it.

So, sorry for the little essay I'm just sad to see how much more we could've gotten. Unsure

The fortunes of the world will rise and fall, but here in this kingdom we will endure!

On_the_partyelk
Lorien

Dec 19 2014, 12:26pm

Post #147 of 208 (1376 views)
Shortcut
     I'll just go with that [In reply to]  

(yes I still want to believe he came to Ravenhill for Leggy)

...as well. And you're right about him making a relieved face, like "Gods, there you are!", when he saw Legolas.

Question. in order to go home, as Thranduil originally planned, as he said to Gandalf, does he have to cross Rivenhill or is Rivenhill a completely different direction? Like I mentioned before, I know nothing about LOTR/TH so if it's not the direction he would have to head in, it's for my mind a done thing he went there to search for his son.

On_the_partyelk
Lorien

Dec 19 2014, 12:56pm

Post #148 of 208 (1384 views)
Shortcut
     :) [In reply to]  

First: welcome back. :)

I must confess I spend about 10 minutes staring before posting. Crazy LOL (especially the backflip)

Hmmmm...kind of no, there is no short version, but maybe OTP (smile) or Partyelk? Tbh, I haven't thought about that before.

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Dec 19 2014, 1:15pm

Post #149 of 208 (1380 views)
Shortcut
     The first knife [spoiler] [In reply to]  

was lodged in the head of his joystick troll/ogre, the one he manipulated to ram that oh-so-well-built-tower to become that bridge across the gap to get to Tauriel and the rumble with Bolg.

In Reply To
AHHH..........someone please write a fanfiction for this!!!!! BlushBlushBlush

Gah! The feels for a fix-it fic is growing for me tooCrazy

=======

(This post was edited by Lurker in the Mirk on Dec 19 2014, 1:15pm)

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Dec 19 2014, 1:16pm

Post #150 of 208 (1354 views)
Shortcut
     Thanks! And hope you don't mind [In reply to]  

if i refer to you as OTP until you decide otherwiseSmile

=======

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.