Other
View Results (76 votes)

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 18 2014, 8:12am

Post #1 of 36 (4632 views)
Shortcut
Which Middle-earth death affected you the most? / Can't Post

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Dec 18 2014, 8:16am)

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 18 2014, 10:08am

Post #2 of 36 (4377 views)
Shortcut
I said Boromir because [In reply to] Can't Post

I never liked him when I read the book, but the movie fleshed him out in such a way that I really understood him as I think Tolkien intended for the first time. That made it hit hard to see him die.

All of the others were expected so I was more on guard.

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Dec 18 2014, 10:21am

Post #3 of 36 (4372 views)
Shortcut
Kili . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

because even though I knew it would happen, it seemed to be done to evoke maximum emotion and certainly did in my case. I think as a woman, I was seeing it through Tauriel's eyes.

macfalk
Valinor

Dec 18 2014, 11:30am

Post #4 of 36 (4363 views)
Shortcut
Boromir [In reply to] Can't Post

But Thorin has the best death speech. It's heart breakening.

Gianna
Rohan

Dec 18 2014, 1:58pm

Post #5 of 36 (4355 views)
Shortcut
Boromir [In reply to] Can't Post

Since I haven't seen BOFA yet (probably will this Saturday) I don't know how I'll feel about the three Dwarves.

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Dec 18 2014, 2:49pm

Post #6 of 36 (4359 views)
Shortcut
Voted Theoden only because [In reply to] Can't Post

I couldn’t vote for two; as Boromir’s death affected me about the same.

Strange that Gandalf’s ‘death’ didn’t affect people more. Did we all know he wasn’t really dead?

Personal note: Should we all become more conscious to differentiate between the books and the movies. I for one become somewhat confused on occasion as to who’s talking about what. It seems most people (so far) on this poll are considering the movies and not the books. Fili and Kili in ‘The Hobbit’ are just two brothers that we know little about beyond being Thorin’s nephews and sons of Dis, and their book deaths are given little note, whereas apparently Kili (and Fili?) is fleshed out much more in the movie (I haven’t seen parts two or three yet).

I reckon my point being should we not when posting a question (whether it be Pollantir or whatever) differentiate amongst ‘movie’, ‘books’, or ‘both’?
Yet I do recognize that to have Fili and Kili as choices on this particular question invites movie answers. Were it a ‘book only’ question Fili and Kili would most likely not be a part of the poll.

Annael
Immortal

Dec 18 2014, 3:34pm

Post #7 of 36 (4342 views)
Shortcut
true, and [In reply to] Can't Post

if it were "book-only" Denethor might even get a couple of votes.

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Dec 18 2014, 4:19pm

Post #8 of 36 (4335 views)
Shortcut
Yes, and book only [In reply to] Can't Post

should not Balin be one of the choices as he befriended Bilbo more than the other ‘complaining’ Dwarves and seemed to be a singular friend to Bilbo considering him to be more than simply a ‘hired burglar’; and ‘book only’ would not Oin deserve a place in the poll, although he was not ‘fleshed out’ as much as Fili or Kili even in the book.

And why would Elessar be left from the poll? Or Arwen? (Book or movie.)

Yet we have the choices given to us by Ataahua and that’s fair enough! Wink

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 18 2014, 5:20pm

Post #9 of 36 (4327 views)
Shortcut
That's where 'other' comes in. :) [In reply to] Can't Post

I was thinking of the films but people can feel free to vote for their book responses or a melding of both media, if they wish.

malickfan
Gondor

Dec 18 2014, 6:24pm

Post #10 of 36 (4312 views)
Shortcut
In the books Thorin/Gandalf (and possibly Turin) in the films Boromir [In reply to] Can't Post

In addition I was always fond of Balin in The Hobbit book, Ken Stott plays the role perfectly (and looks more or less as I'd pictured him in the books) and when I finally get around to watching FOTR again I'm sure it will hit home...

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Dec 18 2014, 8:03pm

Post #11 of 36 (4305 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I understand.. [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you Ataahua. (Other = peoples).

(Maybe strange in this day but I still always think of book first.)

And on second thought I would change my vote to 'other' - Aragorn -
if I had the option.

The "Tale of Aragorn and Arwen" in the appendix is pure gold! Heart

BlackFox
Half-elven

Dec 18 2014, 9:45pm

Post #12 of 36 (4313 views)
Shortcut
Thorin's [In reply to] Can't Post

Both in the book and in the films.

imin
Valinor

Dec 18 2014, 10:33pm

Post #13 of 36 (4320 views)
Shortcut
Depends [In reply to] Can't Post

Book - Gandalf
Film - Boromir (think it helps Sean Bean was the best actor in the films).

dubulous
Rohan

Dec 18 2014, 11:25pm

Post #14 of 36 (4286 views)
Shortcut
Boromir's [In reply to] Can't Post

Definitely Boromir's. It still gets me every time.

macfalk
Valinor

Dec 18 2014, 11:50pm

Post #15 of 36 (4301 views)
Shortcut
A fake-death affected you more than Thorin's? [In reply to] Can't Post

Just curious, because for me Thorin's book death was a gut punch, and Gandalf's death is cheapened IMO because he comes back. To each his own, I guess!

(This post was edited by macfalk on Dec 18 2014, 11:51pm)

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Dec 19 2014, 1:57am

Post #16 of 36 (4293 views)
Shortcut
In defence of imin [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
A fake-death affected you more than Thorin's?

It was not a 'fake death' to many (most? all?) of the characters, nor was it a 'fake death' to a first time reader; nor was it a 'fake death' to Tolkien (apparently) as "The Tale of Years" (for a single quick reference) states that:

Feb 14 - Gandalf returns to life , and lies in a trance.

Returning to life can only be interpreted as once being dead....

Meneldor
Valinor

Dec 19 2014, 2:06am

Post #17 of 36 (4279 views)
Shortcut
I voted Theoden, cuz he's Theoden! [In reply to] Can't Post

He had the most moving death in the books, IMO. Gandalf vs the Balrog was a shocker, but Théoden's passing was more profound for me, maybe because he got some decent last words in, as opposed to "Fly, you fools!"
Movieverse, I agree with Silverlode. Book Boromir was a bully and big dumb jock, so I was totally unprepared to like him on film, and it was a real surprise that I'd be so moved by his self-sacrifice.

Starling
Half-elven

Dec 19 2014, 3:46am

Post #18 of 36 (4274 views)
Shortcut
Agreed: That was no fake death [In reply to] Can't Post

I was so upset after watching FOTR, my friend put me out of my misery and told me Gandalf would be back. She couldn't bear the idea of me having to suffer for a whole year.
All these years later, it still upsets me greatly to see him fall. It is the end of Gandalf the Grey, after all.

(This post was edited by Starling on Dec 19 2014, 3:47am)

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Dec 19 2014, 4:48am

Post #19 of 36 (4259 views)
Shortcut
Hmm! ‘A bully and a big dumb jock’? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Book Boromir was a bully and big dumb jock, so I was totally unprepared to like him on film, and it was a real surprise that I'd be so moved by his self-sacrifice.

(book) He was accounted the best man in Gondor. He spent his life on the front lines defending the West. Naturally he was a great warrior and efficient in arms and conflict against evil. He had the same dream his brother had but chose to take the journey to find the elusive Imladris himself. He could have sent Faramir on this journey and remained to accumulate further glory. (Not the actions of a dumb bully.) After learning of the Ring he found himself with eight strangers and yes, he deemed the Ring should be taken to Gondor and used against the Enemy he had fought against all his life instead of what seemed to him a frivolous attempt at its destruction. He more than pulled his weight before the breaking of the Fellowship. Who went to the aid of Gandalf on the Bridge of Khazad-dum – Boromir with Aragorn.

He said and did things on Amon Hen, during a moment of anguish and despair, of which he immediately repented (no hesitation as shown in the movie). I don’t believe for a second he had any intent to harm Frodo.

Although a great warrior I see Boromir also as a caring sensitive person who wanted justice and fought for the Free Peoples of Middle-earth. A single momentary of loss of control doesn’t turn a lifetime of integrity into a ‘bully’ or a ‘big dumb jock’.

IMHO

Meneldor
Valinor

Dec 19 2014, 6:08am

Post #20 of 36 (4256 views)
Shortcut
I see where you're coming from, BG. [In reply to] Can't Post

All that you say is true, but I still got a bad first impression of his personality when I first read FotR. Just a matter of different perspectives.

IMO, Sean Bean's Boromir totally lives up to your description, but I just didn't get that feeling from the book.

Annael
Immortal

Dec 19 2014, 4:23pm

Post #21 of 36 (4247 views)
Shortcut
Pippin adored him [In reply to] Can't Post

there's a bit in FOTR where he remembers Boromir as always being kind to him, and Boromir did always look out for him and Merry especially.

When I first read LOTR Boromir came across to me as single-minded more than anything. It was all about Gondor for him - which made sense for the oldest and beloved son of Denethor. I had more trouble with Aragorn, who came across as stiff and overly prone to correcting others for saying or doing the "wrong" thing.

joec_34
Rivendell

Dec 19 2014, 8:53pm

Post #22 of 36 (4242 views)
Shortcut
Boromir, although I thought about saying the cave troll in Balin's tomb chamber. :p // [In reply to] Can't Post

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Dec 20 2014, 12:36am

Post #23 of 36 (4234 views)
Shortcut
Kili (also Thorin and Fili but Kili a little bit more because shock-value) [In reply to] Can't Post

Not that the LOTR deaths didn't affect me, but I only discovered LOTR last year and learned about the story by playing the LOTR Lego video game before I saw the movies or read the books, so I knew about those deaths beforehand and of course the way Lego does things softened the initial blow quite a bit.

I just got back home from my first BOTFA viewing and Kili's death...I knew it was coming but I didn't know where or how. I went into BOFA knowing minimum spoilers and well...although I was SO glad I hadn't gotten spoiled on the rest of the movie, both Kili and Fili's deaths made me wish I had been spoiled on those scenes so I could have been a little more emotionally prepared.Unsure They, especially Kili's death, were actually pretty intense, IMO.

1. I wasn't expecting Fili to get captured by Azog and then run through, so that made me really sad and made me hate Azog with even more abandon then I had previously. 2. I suspected Bolg might kill Kili, but I didn't know for sure. I also wasn't sure if he'd kill Tauriel or not and I was already upset over Fili, so I actually didn't look right at the screen when Kili died. Even just seeing it out of the corner of my eye it was still really intense and sad.Frown Kinda wish it hadn't been slow motion with him and Tauriel looking at each other and...and...*sniff*...I may need to cry a little more before I can get over it.FrownFrown Then, when it got to where Tauriel was crying over Kili at the end, I was already in tears from Bilbo crying over Thorin, but when Tauriel was crying over Kili and started asking why, if this was love, it had to hurt so much that really hit me hard and I had to fight to keep from sobbing.FrownFrownFrown I'm just glad there were some lighter moments throughout the battle scenes and the movie ended on a lighter note to help cheer me up.

Really did love the movie though. Very satisfying.Evil

Cirashala
Valinor

Dec 20 2014, 7:47am

Post #24 of 36 (4221 views)
Shortcut
wish you'd allowed multiple answers [In reply to] Can't Post

Because I was in shock with Fili and Kili's deaths (despite being as spoiled as possible with it), but adrenaline was kicking in high gear from the battle, so it wasn't til all was quiet, and Bilbo tried to show the just died Thorin the eagles that I finally lost it...

It was so much like battle in real life- the adrenaline, the feeling and need for survival shoves grief behind temporarily, but when all is finally quiet, then the time to mourn has come. And these depictions of their deaths, and the emotions and reactions afterward are very faithful to that same reality.

However, my tears were definitely for all three Frown

imin
Valinor

Dec 20 2014, 12:05pm

Post #25 of 36 (4225 views)
Shortcut
As others have said [In reply to] Can't Post

If you read the books for the first time, how are you to know that Gandalf didn't die?

You prefer the hobbit, of course you won't agree.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.