The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Even better the second time around!

Avandel
Half-elven

Dec 19 2014, 4:25am

Post #1 of 12 (730 views)
Shortcut
Even better the second time around! Can't Post

Just sayin'. Sounds like a fair number have seen it more than once already. But I thought, hey, if I go on a Thursday don't have to deal with Friday night cinema madness.

So headed over to my favorite mega-screen IMAX and was surprised fair number of people, for a cold Thursday night and a more expensive ticket price. But if you can see BOFA with all the whistles and bells, IMO all the Hobbit movies should be viewed that way.TongueTongueTongueTongueTongueTongue Happily I had another decent (non-obnoxious and quiet) audience.

Not really a review, but having got past the unbearable tension of the first viewing think I can appreciate the nuances more, and the wonderful work that was done - whatever *issues* I personally think I might have, *shrug*. TongueCool

I'm going again this weekend like I planned - sure, I'm going Christmas shopping. Presents for folks, presents for pets, present for ME is BOFA.Angelic

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Dec 19 2014, 4:27am

Post #2 of 12 (356 views)
Shortcut
Nice! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah i'm looking forward to my second viewing, seeing it again tomorrow.

The flames of war are upon you..

Kim
Valinor

Dec 19 2014, 5:44am

Post #3 of 12 (300 views)
Shortcut
Me too! [In reply to] Can't Post

Like Avandel, I'm hoping I can get past the anxiety I was feeling during the first one about how it would all play out and be able to settle in and absorb a bit more this time around.

P.S. Just got the soundtrack, so listening to that now so I'll be a little more familiar with it tomorrow. Smile

#OneLastTime

smtfhw
Lorien

Dec 19 2014, 9:02am

Post #4 of 12 (251 views)
Shortcut
Heading for my second viewing [In reply to] Can't Post

Got tickets for this evening. I just wish I had more time to see it more often. Back in the LOTR days I was working in Belgium and was alone all week so ended up being able to see ROTK as often as I wanted. I lost count after 25 viewings!

dubulous
Rohan

Dec 19 2014, 9:21am

Post #5 of 12 (235 views)
Shortcut
Same [In reply to] Can't Post

I also liked the movie more on second viewing (probably didn't like it as much as you did on first vieweing, but I did like it). I've seen it four times now and will go again when I have time, which probably won't be for another week. There's always something about the first vieweing for me with the ME movies that, even if I'm essentially liking the movie, I'm probably a bit too hyped and a bit too aware and constantly having to adjust what I'm watching to what I was expecting, to fully enjoy the movie for what it is. The second vieweing is always better - and if the movie is really good, it will still continue to improve on further viewings (which all but DoS have done for me).

VValar
Gondor

Dec 19 2014, 9:38am

Post #6 of 12 (235 views)
Shortcut
Yes I agree with you [In reply to] Can't Post

My expectations for the first viewing were sky high, a bit too high perhaps.
The second time around I was a bit more realistic, it also helped I had seen it once and knew what to expect. It helped me be less disappointed by some (lack of) scenes and more enthusiastic about others. It also helped viewing it in IMAX the second time around. Made f.e. the floating wraits (lolol) in DG seem a bit less silly, slightly Evil

In Reply To

I'm going Christmas shopping. Presents for folks, presents for pets, present for ME is BOFA.Angelic

Good on you! Best present you can give yourself eh?

If your ears aren't pointy, you're doing it wrong.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Dec 19 2014, 10:03am

Post #7 of 12 (245 views)
Shortcut
And even better the third time around! [In reply to] Can't Post

Tongue

Elarie
Grey Havens

Dec 19 2014, 1:44pm

Post #8 of 12 (185 views)
Shortcut
Totally agree [In reply to] Can't Post

Just like DOS, I liked BOTFA better the second time because I was less distracted by the action and was absorbing the story and the acting and the details better. And all of these movies have so much going on, they really deserve more than one viewing. Looking forward to a third one, today or tomorrow.

Gold is the strife of kinsmen,
and fire of the flood-tide,
and the path of the serpent.

(Old Icelandic Fe rune poem)

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Dec 19 2014, 1:46pm

Post #9 of 12 (180 views)
Shortcut
More please! [In reply to] Can't Post

yes it really is now like putting on a pair of comfortable shoes. I am really enjoying my subsequent viewings. I'm going again today.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

EomundDaughter
Lorien

Dec 19 2014, 3:35pm

Post #10 of 12 (159 views)
Shortcut
On my way to my first viewing [In reply to] Can't Post

going to just appreciate it for being the final PJ film.....its been a great time !!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 19 2014, 5:24pm

Post #11 of 12 (138 views)
Shortcut
I've been 4 times [In reply to] Can't Post

And I'm loving it more each time! *sigh*

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - May 15, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Ilmatar
Rohan

Dec 19 2014, 6:50pm

Post #12 of 12 (116 views)
Shortcut
same here [In reply to] Can't Post

Just saw Bo5A second time today. Because something funny happened to me after watching it the first time last week... I have loved LotR and Hobbit since I was 12, and have liked all the movies. While not "perfect" (how could they be perfect for everyone?), I have been very happy with them and naturally bought the EEs. But this last Hobbit... Somehow it got under my skin and put a spell on me. Possibly partly because there was so much to take in that it felt rushed, it could have lasted an hour longer. The following week I could not stop thinking about it. In the evenings I read this board & cast interviews & watched youtube videos & even looked up some fan art & fan fiction (out of character for me), and at night I would dream of dwarves etc. I not only wanted, but almost physically needed to see it again (I have never gone to see the same movie twice so quickly). And I'm embarrassed to admit that I even lost my appetite, as if I was in love or some such nonsense - and I'm not a teenager anymore...!

The second time was better. I got into it much deeper. I laughed less and cried more. (Rather, I cried over the end scenes - didn't at the first viewing, and hardly ever cry at the movies - the last time may have been over the RotK end credits). The deaths got to me more, the warm moments between characters, the bittersweetness of it all, and the finality of seeing Middle-Earth movies in theaters. Somehow thsi second time purged me emotionally and in the end I felt spent and empty. Coming back to the everyday reality was very slow and felt unreal. But now I feel like I can get back to the so-called normal life.

I don't know why my reaction was strong because I have loved the other movies as much. Maybe it was the terrible losses in the end combined with the knowledge that this is the last movie there will be.

(This post was edited by Ilmatar on Dec 19 2014, 6:52pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.