Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
How does Thranduil get to Ravenhill? (Possible Spoiler)

lastnickleft
The Shire

Dec 19 2014, 3:40am

Post #1 of 8 (806 views)
Shortcut
How does Thranduil get to Ravenhill? (Possible Spoiler) Can't Post

It's quite conspicuous that when Legolas and Tauriel left Dale, steering towards Ravenhill, Thranduil and his army remains at Dale. Nonetheless, near the end of the movie, Thranduil has reached the top of Ravenhill, and he has his sabers unsheathed, which might suggest that he reached the top by fighting. I think this could be one of the scenes of the EE: After Legolas and Tauriel leave, Thranduil comes out of his shock and organizes a charge against Azog's army outside Dale, and join forces with the dwarvish army. After that, he goes to Ravenhill. I hope it is so, because one of the only complaints I had with the movie was the fact that Elves, Men and Dwarves did not have final reuniting moment during battle, which I personally think is a greatly wasted chance by PJ. What do you guys think?

deskp
Lorien

Dec 19 2014, 3:42am

Post #2 of 8 (477 views)
Shortcut
yep [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree, not enough united figthing.

L. Ron Halfelven
Grey Havens

Dec 19 2014, 3:45am

Post #3 of 8 (434 views)
Shortcut
Have møøse, will travel.// [In reply to] Can't Post

(This post was edited by L. Ron Halfelven on Dec 19 2014, 3:46am)

deskp
Lorien

Dec 19 2014, 3:47am

Post #4 of 8 (470 views)
Shortcut
Spoiler. [In reply to] Can't Post

Except when it's shot to death of course.

dubulous
Rohan

Dec 19 2014, 8:27am

Post #5 of 8 (309 views)
Shortcut
Batmobile // [In reply to] Can't Post

DigificWriter
Lorien

Dec 19 2014, 8:41am

Post #6 of 8 (320 views)
Shortcut
Why couldnt he have walked? [In reply to] Can't Post

Why couldn't Thranduil have walked to Ravenhill? There didn't seem to be that significant of a distance between it and the other battle site.

VValar
Gondor

Dec 19 2014, 9:33am

Post #7 of 8 (303 views)
Shortcut
*fingers crossed you're right* [In reply to] Can't Post

There wasn't nearly enough Thranduil fighting in BOFA as I would have liked. Instead we had lots of screentime wasted on other (lesser) interesting moments and/or characters. Apparently Thranduil is the best swordfighter in ME. And what did we get? I believe two minor moments in all of BOFA (not counting the Elk action, which was a short sequence too) where we see a bit of Thranduil action.

My first thought when he catches up with Legolas on Ravenhill was: how did he get there? I don't believe he just walked over, with an army of Orcs standing somewhere in between, fighting. He appeared to be alone as well (no other Elves joined him). I would love for it to make the EE. But really there is no good explanation for the theatrical version LACKING Thranduil fighting.

Ps if you want to view some wonderful work on Thranduil in battle done by Weta workshop concept arts, check out this link (and click on source)
Little preview:

If your ears aren't pointy, you're doing it wrong.

Elarie
Grey Havens

Dec 19 2014, 1:52pm

Post #8 of 8 (225 views)
Shortcut
Oh my gosh! ROTFL [In reply to] Can't Post

Laugh

Gold is the strife of kinsmen,
and fire of the flood-tide,
and the path of the serpent.

(Old Icelandic Fe rune poem)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.