Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
What movies, tv shows, or other visual media have you watched recently?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Meneldor
Valinor

Dec 18 2014, 12:30am

Post #51 of 55 (294 views)
Shortcut
Curse of the Dragon Slayer [In reply to] Can't Post

2013. So there's a paladin on a quest with a hawt elf bounty hunter chick and a noble warrior orc and there's a prophecy about a bleeding rock and the rebirth of the death god and a feud with the Orc Horde (did you know there are eight orcs in a horde?) and it's all just tailor-made for MST3K.

Where have you gone, Tom Servo & Crow
Our nation turns its lonely eyes to you
Ooh ooh ooh

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

Meneldor
Valinor

Dec 19 2014, 2:21am

Post #52 of 55 (291 views)
Shortcut
Bo5A [In reply to] Can't Post

*minor vaguely spoiler-ish comments, but no real spoilers*

As I expected, not as amazingly wonderful as gushers claim, and not nearly as awful as bashers would have you believe. I could do with more Beorn, more Bilbo, a lot more dwarven companions, less Legolas, and a LOT less Alfrid. Seriously, why does he have so much screen time and so many lines? All he contributes is a little weak comedy that the dwarves could have done better, and he has a story line (certainly not an arc) that goes nowhere. After seeing DoS EE, I'm hopeful I'll get some of my "mores" in 5A EE, but I'm probably stuck with too much Alfrid.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Dec 19 2014, 5:00pm

Post #53 of 55 (276 views)
Shortcut
I, too, saw BofA [In reply to] Can't Post

And I agree with your remarks.

I enjoyed it. The visuals, the costumes, the actors are superb. The script, as it has been for all the Hobbit movies, is weak.

But then, I've always preferred LotR the book, and to my mind, THOSE films are the pinnacle of film-making achievement, while TH movies are entertaining with some very good book-moments. Not on the same level at all.

Where now the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?
Where is the helm and the hauberk, and the bright hair flowing?
Where is the hand on the harpstring, and the red fire glowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?
They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow....

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Dec 19 2014, 7:40pm

Post #54 of 55 (286 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, I thought the same (BOT5A SPOILERS) [In reply to] Can't Post

The one thing that struck me was the lack of closure for many of the character arcs:

Legolas' end was alright, if only just good. It satisfied me.

Tauriel's end was disappointing. Where did she go? What happens to her?

Thorin, Fili and Kili's end was as I expected, it was different from the books, but well executed,...Though I missed the nephews defending Thorin 'with shield and body'.

I didn't even notice the Master's exit, and it could have been better IMO.

Alfrid: Why was here there other than comic relief from Bard's Christopher Nolan-Batman seriousness? He seemed out of place and stuck out. I thought they were going to give him a fitting end the way he stuck around, but he just walked off.

As for Bard, I have no real complaints, but I want a coronation scene in the EE.

Thranduil, was done well, but his end and partial redemption fed off Tauriel's end, almost parasitically. His benefited by showing a character change, (but not a conversion to goody-goody elf), and her's seemed to derive no benefit.

Azog and Bolg died in battle as they should have, but I wasn't expecting much from them except a possible death of Fili/Kili while protecting Thorin, but that was changed for the film, no real surprise here.

Beorn and Radagast had little more than cameos, but I hold hope for more in the EE.

In the end, I think that perhaps they wished to avoid the 'multiple endings' phenomenon that occurred in RotK, so they streamlined and focused on Bilbo. I still hold on to hope. The DOS EE was a better film, IMO, so I hope we get more esolution in the BOT5A EE.

Call me Rem, and remember, not all who ramble are lost...Uh...where was I?

BlackFox
Half-elven

Dec 19 2014, 7:48pm

Post #55 of 55 (278 views)
Shortcut
The Master... **SPOILERS** [In reply to] Can't Post

... gets crushed by Smaug's corpse.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.