Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Good versions of Hobbit/ LOTR books?

Brucewayne75

Dec 19 2014, 12:16am

Post #1 of 6 (564 views)
Shortcut
Good versions of Hobbit/ LOTR books? Can't Post

Hey guys and girls! I'm going to get some Christmas money next week and want to purchase all 4 of them. Want versions that look good on shelf and have a lot of maps, etc. Thanks!

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Dec 19 2014, 12:21am

Post #2 of 6 (427 views)
Shortcut
I like the Alan Lee illustrated versions. [In reply to] Can't Post

If it's mainly to have on your shelf (e.g., you actually read them on your pad or in paperback) there's a 60th Anniversary Edition of LotR in a single volume (which is what JRRT wanted right along), but it's pretty heavy for reading. There's also a 75th Anniv. ed. of The Hobbit.

Gianna
Rohan

Dec 19 2014, 1:11am

Post #3 of 6 (415 views)
Shortcut
This Hobbit is delicious! [In reply to] Can't Post

I got this 1973 Houghton Mifflin Hobbit for my birthday a couple years ago. I definitely recommend it! It looks great on the shelf, and it's pretty fancy but is still readable - not just a show. Smile

http://www.abebooks.com/...6recentlyadded%3Dall

(I can't figure out how to make a clickable link within the text of my actual post... help?!)

~There's some good left in this world. And it's worth fighting for.~

Morthoron
Gondor

Dec 19 2014, 3:25am

Post #4 of 6 (410 views)
Shortcut
Get "The Annotated Hobbit"... [In reply to] Can't Post

With commentary from Douglas A. Anderson, particularly the revised edition from 2002 which includes "The Quest of Erebor". The pictures, color illustrations, maps and scholarly asides are great, and make this the most worthwhile version of the Hobbit. The hardcover's sleeve illustrations are by Tolkien himself.

http://www.amazon.com/...olkien/dp/0618134700

Please visit my blog...The Dark Elf File...a slighty skewed journal of music and literary comment, fan-fiction and interminable essays.

(This post was edited by Morthoron on Dec 19 2014, 3:28am)

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Dec 19 2014, 3:44am

Post #5 of 6 (422 views)
Shortcut
I'd suggest... [In reply to] Can't Post

A cheap paperback copy for on the road, an a nice set for home, Any recently issued paperback will do, but I have recommendation for the hardbacks:

LotR: Alan Lee editions are very nice, I agree with the ones who have recommended it.

Hobbit: Well, there are a lot of edition, but if you can deal with the notes and larger size, go for the Annotated version that contains The Quest for Erebor.

Call me Rem, and remember, not all who ramble are lost...Uh...where was I?

Finding Frodo
Tol Eressea

Dec 23 2014, 4:36am

Post #6 of 6 (396 views)
Shortcut
The big one [In reply to] Can't Post

I got the single-volume LotR in a slipcase for Christmas several years ago. It's beautifully bound and has gilt edges, a fold-out map and a red ribbon bookmark. It looks great on the shelf, but I read out of it too, since my old paperback set is falling apart.
I second the recommendation for The Annotated Hobbit.

Where's Frodo?

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.