Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Missing lines (in trailer but not in movie)

elentari3018
Rohan

Dec 19 2014, 12:16am

Post #1 of 6 (508 views)
Shortcut
Missing lines (in trailer but not in movie) Can't Post

Did anyone else notice but there were certain lines that were missing from the movie. These include:

"This is the last step in the master plan"- Gandalf
"Everything i did i did it for them." - Thorin
"When faced with death, what can anyone do?" - Bilbo
"We have but one question to ask, THorin, how will this day end?" -Gandalf

Extended Edition? I mean they were really powerful in the trailer and it is a pity it wasn't in the TE. Or did i miss them?

"By Elbereth and Luthien the fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me!" ~Frodo

"And then Gandalf arose and bid all men rise, and they rose, and he said: 'Here is a last hail ere the feast endeth. Last but not least. For I name now those who shall not be forgotten and without whose valour nought else that was done would have availed; and I name before you all Frodo of the Shire and Samwise his servant. And the bards and the minstrels should give them new names: Bronwe athan Harthad and Harthad Uluithiad , Endurance beyond Hope and Hope Unquenchable.." ~Gandalf, The End of the Third Age , from The History of Middle Earth series

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Dec 19 2014, 12:20am

Post #2 of 6 (321 views)
Shortcut
There's so much I expect back in the film... [In reply to] Can't Post

Those lines, along with many shots from the trailer (unless they were created FOR the trailer, which would be lame), more Beorn (obviously), Radagast giving Gandalf his staff (can't believe they actually left that out), Thorin/Fili/Kili funeral, and much, much more.

I enjoyed the film, but once again I am sure we won't be seeing the "real" film until next November (or December).

...but PLEASE - no more Alfrid. Unimpressed

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

(This post was edited by Aragorn the Elfstone on Dec 19 2014, 12:22am)

elentari3018
Rohan

Dec 19 2014, 12:23am

Post #3 of 6 (274 views)
Shortcut
Yes i agree.... [In reply to] Can't Post

PJ made this movie too short versus too long this time! lol
Beorn was a glaring omission... so many fans are questioning his absence. He had a SUCH A huge role in the book!!!

"By Elbereth and Luthien the fair, you shall have neither the Ring nor me!" ~Frodo

"And then Gandalf arose and bid all men rise, and they rose, and he said: 'Here is a last hail ere the feast endeth. Last but not least. For I name now those who shall not be forgotten and without whose valour nought else that was done would have availed; and I name before you all Frodo of the Shire and Samwise his servant. And the bards and the minstrels should give them new names: Bronwe athan Harthad and Harthad Uluithiad , Endurance beyond Hope and Hope Unquenchable.." ~Gandalf, The End of the Third Age , from The History of Middle Earth series

Cirashala
Valinor

Dec 19 2014, 12:43am

Post #4 of 6 (263 views)
Shortcut
Something to remember re Beorn [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes he did, but that stuff was all in the DOS EE, not the TE.

I fully expect it to be EE material, not because Beorn isn't important but because the GENERAL audience hasn't seen much of him either.

They haven't seen all his material from the DOS EE, just that snippet of the TE. Therefore, it would make more sense for the majority of his screen time (like Thrain's) to be left for the EE so the same subgroup of fans are watching the same versions of the films.

It creates a continuity between the three TE's, and the three EE's.

Now if it's not in the BO5A EE, I WILL be sorely disappointed.

elentari3018
Rohan

Dec 19 2014, 1:18am

Post #5 of 6 (206 views)
Shortcut
True but... [In reply to] Can't Post

I think Beorn was shown enough in DoS TE though-- we see the dwarves inhabit there for a night, we see Beorn seeing them off, changing into a bear. The general audience doesn't need anything other to know that he's there and so therefore i think that doesn't mean he should be relegated to such a brief snippet of him in the TE version of BotFa.

Elvanui
Rivendell

Dec 19 2014, 10:33am

Post #6 of 6 (116 views)
Shortcut
And there was [In reply to] Can't Post

Bilbo's line about remembering 'those who survived and those who did not', which seems like an odd thing to say in the place where it would have been in the film - after the acorn scene with Thorin. No one had died yet and there wasn't any sense of impending battle, so I wonder why Bilbo is already thinking about people who do not/might not make it. Unless that line was just included in the trailer to up the anticipation, and was never meant for the film :)

"...under all there was a great joy: a fountain of mirth enough to set a kingdom laughing, were it to gush forth."

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.