The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Manu Bennett Appreciation

The Ranger Anduiel
The Shire

Dec 19 2014, 12:14am

Post #1 of 10 (419 views)
Shortcut
Manu Bennett Appreciation Can't Post

This man deserves far more credit than he receives for his role as Azog. Especially this last film. Does anyone agree?

King_horse
Bree

Dec 19 2014, 12:16am

Post #2 of 10 (292 views)
Shortcut
As much as everyone wanted to see Bolg after AUJ [In reply to] Can't Post

he ended up way more memorable than Bolg.

And there seems to be no more complaining about Azog after DOS and BOFTA whereas including Legolas and Tauriel is still debated.

(This post was edited by King_horse on Dec 19 2014, 12:20am)

Bombadil
Half-elven

Dec 19 2014, 12:38am

Post #3 of 10 (243 views)
Shortcut
AZOG makes LURTZ look like a.. "PUTTzz" from Topeka, Kansas.// [In reply to] Can't Post

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

haarp
Rivendell

Dec 19 2014, 1:13am

Post #4 of 10 (224 views)
Shortcut
7 [In reply to] Can't Post

Lurtz looked a million times more believable, not some computer game character

(This post was edited by haarp on Dec 19 2014, 1:13am)

MatthewJer18
Rohan

Dec 19 2014, 2:45am

Post #5 of 10 (215 views)
Shortcut
There were some shots in the film where Azog's CGI looked so incredible that [In reply to] Can't Post

I almost thought it was Manu in make-up. Really stellar mo-cap work.

DigificWriter
Lorien

Dec 19 2014, 6:14am

Post #6 of 10 (176 views)
Shortcut
Manu is THE MAN [In reply to] Can't Post

I've had the chance to hear Manu talk about his career, and he's awesome. The mocap work he did for Azog was phenomenal, and really gave the character some presence.

I'm also happy right now because he just landed the role of Allanon the Druid in Shannara.

Avandel
Half-elven

Dec 19 2014, 7:03am

Post #7 of 10 (171 views)
Shortcut
From seeing the Appendices and con footage [In reply to] Can't Post

Manu seems awesome - charming, funny, intelligent, and A MAN. Listening to him talk about his first mo-cap sessions is hysterical.

Don't know how they did it, but somehow Manu's performance comes through.
Bolg to me just seems like a thug.

The Ranger Anduiel
The Shire

Dec 19 2014, 4:01pm

Post #8 of 10 (124 views)
Shortcut
On Ravenhill [In reply to] Can't Post

Especially in this last film. When he is giving orders at the start of the war. I am certain it was Manu's motion capture from seeing him in other roles (ie: as Crixus) Azog comes off as such a purely sinister villian, and almost excited it was excellent.

Elskidor
Rohan

Dec 19 2014, 4:07pm

Post #9 of 10 (124 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

Definitely. Azog earns the best orc in Middle Earth prize as far as I'm concerned. And yes, he was much better than the 10 minutes we got with Lurtz, by far.

Scorchster
Rivendell

Dec 19 2014, 5:18pm

Post #10 of 10 (117 views)
Shortcut
Agreed! But I'm biased of course.. [In reply to] Can't Post

I always loved his portrayal of Crixus in Spartacus. The physicality he brings to his roles is immense.

I actually didn't know he was playing Azog when watching AUJ for the first time - but the moment I saw Azog move in AUJ I knew it was actually Manu Bennett - he's got this distinctive way of carrying himself. Definitely one of the more underrated actors of this trilogy.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.