Re Thranduil (*SPOILER*)

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

Dec 18 2014, 3:04pm

Post #1 of 21 (1802 views)
Shortcut
Re Thranduil (*SPOILER*) Can't Post

Could anyone clarify something for me?

It's strongly suggested, via Legolas' remarks to Tauriel at Gundabad, that Thranduil's isolationist mindset may stem from the loss iof his wife in the elves' long ago attack on that enemy stronghold. When Thranduil is having his confrontation with Tauriel in Dale, I may have misheard or just plain missed what Legolas says to his father that causes Thrandy to look so stricken right before they turn away from him. Was it something to do with Leggy's mother? Otherwise, Thranduil's knifed expression doesn't make any sense to me (especially given the fact that the movies up to this point have failed to establish exactly what kind of relationship exists between Thranduil and Legolas).

Thanks for any insights!

"If not us, who? If not now, when?" HeforShe

BlackFox
Half-elven

Dec 18 2014, 3:16pm

Post #2 of 21 (1360 views)
Shortcut
He says something along the lines of... [In reply to] Can't Post

"If you hurt her [Tauriel], you're going to have to kill me."

(This post was edited by BlackFox on Dec 18 2014, 3:17pm)

misspoptart
The Shire

Dec 18 2014, 3:23pm

Post #3 of 21 (1254 views)
Shortcut
I was going to start a new topic [In reply to] Can't Post

But I think it's just as well to piggy back on this one -

I have the unfortunate circumstance of watching the film with Turkish subs (I live in Istanbul) and there's no English for the Elvish and Black Speech spoken :( I understand enough about the situations (with a hint of Turkish language skills also), but if anyone would be so kind as to summarize some of the conversations in Elvish I would be most grateful. Thanks!

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Dec 18 2014, 3:27pm

Post #4 of 21 (1245 views)
Shortcut
I have to go back and watch it again... [In reply to] Can't Post

...and again.

Legolas has been my favorite character since I read the books in 1978. His connection to the natural world (and pretty much everything he says) resonates with me.

I liked Thranduil quite a lot when I read the Hobbit (right before I read LOTR). I was playing a lot of D&D at the time, and the DM had suggested "play an Elf", which I continued to do, having discovered my Archetype.

So, Thranduil and Legolas, yeah!

I always felt there was some sort of conflict between them. this may have been me just projecting my own life somewhat onto fictional characters, left vague enough for any reader to do that.

I probably need to go read The Hobbit again now.

There is a neat history of Thranduil here: http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Thranduil

"In S.A. 3434 Thranduil followed his father, and some thirty thousand lightly armed Elves in the War of the Last Alliance. In the Battle of Dagorlad Oropher was slain with the greater part of his people but his son survived."

"With the return of Sauron around T.A. 1050 southern Greenwood became increasingly dangerous, evil creatures like great spiders came to dwell in it and soon it began to be called as "Mirkwood".[4] Thranduil's folk retreated to the northeastern corner of the forest, where they fortified themselves near the Forest River and established the Elvenking's Halls."

So he's lost his family (Tolkien does not mention his wife anywhere that I know of, and the film takes that in a plausible direction), retreated to the woods, and been fighting off the forces of Darkness from a stronghold that is being overrun, in a world in which Elves are becoming ever more irrelevant.

I feel for him.

Really, I have to see the film again.

I love the films, but I feel that PJ resonates with Hobbits and Dwarves and doesn't ... quite... get... the Elves. I've noticed that in other tales and artowrks; you can tell what archetype the author/artist resonates with.

"Judge me by my size, would you?" Max the Hobbit Husky.

Me85
Rivendell

Dec 18 2014, 5:45pm

Post #5 of 21 (1177 views)
Shortcut
thranduil legolas [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

I really did not like how he so easily chose her side. It seems like Legolas is just fine with Tauriel threatening his father's/their king's life. Thranduil only threatened her because she did it first.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Dec 18 2014, 6:02pm

Post #6 of 21 (1137 views)
Shortcut
Crazy stupid love [In reply to] Can't Post

It seems like Legolas is just fine with Tauriel threatening his father's/their king's life. Thranduil only threatened her because she did it first.

But we're never shown when exactly Legolas arrives there. He may not have seen how it all started.

(This post was edited by BlackFox on Dec 18 2014, 6:04pm)

Me85
Rivendell

Dec 18 2014, 6:18pm

Post #7 of 21 (1103 views)
Shortcut
yes could be [In reply to] Can't Post

I could very well be that Legolas didn't see that part but i don't know...somehow i think he at least has an idea what happened. I think Thranduil would not have put that knife on her throat unless he was threatened.

(This post was edited by Me85 on Dec 18 2014, 6:26pm)

Cillendor
Lorien

Dec 18 2014, 7:13pm

Post #8 of 21 (1069 views)
Shortcut
I don't know. [In reply to] Can't Post

Thranduil is a conflicting character for me. I absolutely love how Lee Pace portrayed him. He is my favorite Elf in all six films. But I absolutely detest what the writers did to his backstory. I understand the reason. His story is only explained in Unfinished Tales, and PJ & Co. don't have access to that book due to the copyright. But Thranduil's character really suffered from this silly story they invented about his wife dying fighting Orcs in Gundabad and he himself somehow getting a nasty wound fighting dragons in the North. It makes little sense. The true story of him witnessing his father's death at the Battle of the Last Alliance explains so much better why he doesn't want to leave Mirkwood anymore. It explains so much better why he is so wary of Sauron's return. What we currently have is a confusing fanfic written to replace the canon since PJ couldn't legally use it. It is just disappointing.

shadowdog
Rohan

Dec 18 2014, 8:08pm

Post #9 of 21 (1039 views)
Shortcut
Why is it confusing [In reply to] Can't Post

fanfic to show that Thranduil became a recluse because of a death of someone close to him? Since they couldn't use the story told in Unfinished Tales, they used the closest version they could legally put in the film. I see nothing wrong with that, especially since most who will go to see the film will not be familiar with the backstory in a book few have read.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 18 2014, 11:22pm

Post #10 of 21 (1182 views)
Shortcut
They just stole Elrond's backstory and gave it to Thranduil instead. [In reply to] Can't Post

The story they're using for Thranduil is pretty reminiscent of Elrond's in the book, wouldn't you say? His wife was captured and tortured by orcs and then sailed West without him, and his sons join up with Arathorn (Aragorn's father) and the Rangers of the North to hunt orcs because "they never forgot her torment".

Since they didn't use Elrond's backstory or show Elladan and Elrohir in these films, but it's material they have rights to, they just shifted them to a different set of characters - Thranduil and his son. I don't think it's so much fanfic as transference, and it's not the first time they've traded lines or plot points between characters.

Silverlode

Want a LOTR Anniversary footer of your own? Get one here!

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zāram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nāla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dūm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

The Ranger Anduiel
The Shire

Dec 19 2014, 12:12am

Post #11 of 21 (965 views)
Shortcut
Thankyou! [In reply to] Can't Post

When this whole " my mother died there" started that is all I could think! I actually said out loud " no! That is what happend with Celebrķan and she didn't die!" I realize it is a movie and not the book verse but I found it disrespectful to both Elrond and Arwen's back stories. I am honestly at a loss over the whole "Mother" theme. Maybe I am missing something but it just seems out there.

Thranduiliel
Bree

Dec 19 2014, 12:12am

Post #12 of 21 (980 views)
Shortcut
You see I heard it differently [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

...and I'm happy to be corrected, as I thought he threatened to kill Thranduil if he hurt Tauriel. This on the back of Tauriel daring to aim her arrow at her king for his decision to leave after losing yet more of his kin left me feeling very irked for the rest of the film.

Laineth
Lorien

Dec 19 2014, 3:42am

Post #13 of 21 (932 views)
Shortcut
Legolas [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes! Some Legolas love! Sometimes it feels like no one else on here likes him, much less love him. Unsure

Personally, I've loved the films' portrayal of the elves. We've gotten a lot of depth with little screen time.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Dec 19 2014, 10:26am

Post #14 of 21 (898 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

We both have a(nother) reason to see the film again then. Wink

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Dec 19 2014, 1:47pm

Post #15 of 21 (888 views)
Shortcut
Legolaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaas [In reply to] Can't Post

I think maybe a lot of fans are coming from the film direction, or if they're bookfans, they're going "bah, humbug, just another pretty face"... and while I did see an intriguing illustration of him before I read the book (a sort of lean, wiry Luke Skywalkerish blond archer), it was the lines in the book that got me (and that bit about riding Arod the warhorse of Rohan with no bridle or saddle, that tied it).

I waxed endlessly eloquent about it all here: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1722626/1/That-Darn-Elf-a-random-musing

I thought a bit about where else I've seen versions of that archetype, and found a few surprises (Mowgli???, is that you????)

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Dec 20 2014, 10:53am

Post #16 of 21 (847 views)
Shortcut
Stole is the right word and that's what I'm having trouble with. [In reply to] Can't Post

I wished they had created a backstory of their own for Thranduil, instead of retcon existing canon. This is quite the Georgie-Porgie stunt, and I'm not down with them patting themselves on the back for doing this. It just feels... a cop-out. And it's as if, with the view of TH being a last hurrah, the writers gave themselves carte-blanche to Frankenstein backgrounds and backstories.

"I'll say dark and gritty, which, with the Elvenking, translates as Hot and Sexy. Cool" - vanima ephel

I fancy myself an ME BFF (Book/Film Fan) Smile
(Aaaaand a gushy Thranduil fangurl before The Hobbit movies; still a gushy Thranduil fangurl through them. Laugh)

HeartThranduil Appreciation. Threadcount: XXVIII
I | II | III | IV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII | XVIII | XIX | XX | XXI | XXII | XXIII | XXIV | XXV | XXVI | XXVII

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBotFA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======
Middle-earth dispatches out of the lurkmirk

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

Dec 20 2014, 12:34pm

Post #17 of 21 (877 views)
Shortcut
To me, it's of lesser importance where this backstory came from than [In reply to] Can't Post

the short shrift it was given. The whole Thranduil/Legolas/Tauriel dynamic is unconvincing and a disappointment. Perhaps if less time has been given in both DOS and BOTFA to endless Orc smack downs and more to sculpting the characters, it would actually be as moving and meaningful as they seemed to intend it. Unsure

"If not us, who? If not now, when?" HeforShe

Laineth
Lorien

Dec 22 2014, 3:03am

Post #18 of 21 (787 views)
Shortcut
Hi! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for the link, that was an interesting read. :)

I watched the films before I read the books, so Orlando's Legolas is how I see him. He interested me in the film, and I fell in love with him in the book. :)

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Dec 23 2014, 6:18pm

Post #19 of 21 (771 views)
Shortcut
so glad [In reply to] Can't Post

you read the book!

and I'm still stuck being a fan of that Orli guy forever...........

BlackFox
Half-elven

Jan 17 2015, 2:41pm

Post #20 of 21 (760 views)
Shortcut
In case you're still interested [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.elendilion.pl/...-of-the-five-armies/

kiwifan
Rohan

Jan 17 2015, 8:54pm

Post #21 of 21 (744 views)
Shortcut
This is interesting indeed --- thank you for providing the link!// [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.