Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
For Pete(r)' Sake - This is how I would have handled Galadriel ...

Girdle of Melian
Lorien

Dec 18 2014, 5:36pm

Post #1 of 12 (772 views)
Shortcut
For Pete(r)' Sake - This is how I would have handled Galadriel ... Can't Post

SPOILERS...

So, instead of what Peter/Boyens gave us of a Galadriel gone goth with the voice of the exorcist, sorceress of castle greyskull (powerful but powers can get drained easily type), and instead of lying there defenseless while Elrond and Saruman are fighting the Nazgul wherein any of them could have appeared near her and stabbed her (even if she healed Gandalf with that kiss I don't see why she had to her powers drained; Tauriel did not lose her "strength" when she healed Kili, and I have a hard time a Noldorin would suffer the same; if Feanor was in her place, people will probably be even more furious). Anyway, back to topic...

1) Galadriel arrives at least with a contingent of the Galadrim (or Elves of Rivendell at least), and they are immediately met with the remaining orcs that has not left for the mountain, or at least the three of them enter Dol Guldur with a spell of concealment that hides them from Sauron's eyes, as much as he hid from theirs until they reveal themselves last minute, or at least Saruman and Elrond are concealed to say the very least, or their plan was draw to out Sauron while Galadriel/Elrond and her contingent distracts the orcs and Sauron. Celeborn, is managing Lorien, as he is not there (lol).

2) The orcs obviously engages the Elves with the Elves winning, but Sauron appears and slaughters most if not all of the surviving Elves. He also orders one of the Elves to terminate Gandalf while he deals with the Elves.

3) Galadriel, Saruman and Elrond split up to find Gandalf (each of them accompanied by at least 2-3 Elves to say the very least). Galadriel arrives just in time (as in the movie). Several orcs guarding Gandalf engages her and her company, but she dispatches them with very little effort and grace smoother than Elf fighting ability we have seen with the daggers of the Noldorin whe gave to Merry and Pippin. The Elves accompanying her all survive, seeing that they should be the better fighters guarding their Lady. One of the orcs, holds Gandalf hostage, but Galadriel uses lore and he falls asleep; she goes to Gandalf while one of the Elves kills the sleeping orc easily. She carries him. Now at this stage, Sauron knows he has been distracted and goes back to confront Galadriel with the Nazgul, who kills her remaining bodyguards after a decent resistance (being outnumbered).

4) So then, from the movie, Sauron can do his speech thing, and Galadriel will react "scared' (sure), but in the end it is a ruse because she knows that or at least she knows she's summoned Saruman and Elrond just behind her, along with at least another 4-5 Elves. Fight ensues, some of the guards also engage the Nazgul; some are killed. While Galadriel is healing Gandalf, the guards protect her from the Nazgul. Sauron apears and fights with the Nazgul, but Saruman mainly keeps him occupied, and Elrond gets a few sparring sessions with him (whatever method they both use). The Nazgul are defeated and Sauron retreats temporarily and "resurrects them again,"but this time Galadriel has already healed Gandalf and Radagast has taken him already away. Galadriel does not "pass out" for sure. If anything, she is angered. The Nazgul attacks again, she, along with Saruman and Elrond, fight them. She easily disposes of at least one or two of them, but it appears that they have "multiple" lives are not easily killed. She then pulls out the Phial and chants, all the Nazgul flee away from the light and hovers underneath Sauron (just like the movies). At this stage, Galadriel does go Nuclear Evil Dead, but rather glowing light so radiant and seductively beautiful, as she tries to banish Sauron and his minions. Sauron tempts her during this process, stating that she could be a much more powerful clean, and instead of fading, she becomes stronger..as the foundations of the earth and all will love her and despair! But she overcomes this and presses on! At this stage, Sauron knows he will not win so he launches a full scale assault to make it at least appear that he is defeated or severely weakened but with enough power to escape. Galadriel uses lore; the Nazgul tries to interfere but Saruman "blasts them away. Galadriel exiles Sauron, he leaves behind the palantir when he flees.

Okay..maybe not perfect, but certainly may be able to at least please everyone who wanted to see Galadriel in action in all areas..lol. There, I'm happy now. I re-wrote the entire scene. lol...don't take it too seriously if you don't like the interpretation, just creative venting...hahaha.

Spalko
Rivendell

Dec 18 2014, 6:15pm

Post #2 of 12 (334 views)
Shortcut
I highly approve this post [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
At this stage, Galadriel does go Nuclear Evil Dead, but rather glowing light so radiant and seductively beautiful, as she tries to banish Sauron and his minions.

And that is how she should have looked like at the movie. Like when you can see her eyes flashing white. That was amazing.

DigificWriter
Lorien

Dec 18 2014, 6:27pm

Post #3 of 12 (388 views)
Shortcut
Everyone does realize.... [In reply to] Can't Post

.... that when Galadrial goes all dark and scary, she appears exactly as she does later on in Fellowship when Frodo tries to give her the One Ring, correct?

When watched sequentially, that moment in FotR will be a 'callback' to the moment in Dol Guldur when she confronted and beat back Sauron.

Cillendor
Lorien

Dec 18 2014, 7:04pm

Post #4 of 12 (304 views)
Shortcut
I know. [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know why this part bothers people. It's a little jarring at first, but it's the exact same design. The only problem I had with all of the Dol Guldur scene was that I wanted Saruman to actually confront Sauron face-to-face before Sauron fled.

dubulous
Rohan

Dec 18 2014, 7:16pm

Post #5 of 12 (293 views)
Shortcut
Well technically... [In reply to] Can't Post

She doesn't really look exactly the same, though. She looks much worse. I think if she had looked like she did in her nuclear scene in FotR, I'd have been able to stomach the over the top effects better, but for some reason they decided to make it even worse. She's not even recognizable as Galadriel. At the very least they should have kept the same wig.

Also, I'm not sure if it would really work as a callback anyway, because in BotFA she's suppsed to be fighting against Sauron with light. In FotR she's essentially fighting against her own desires which could lead her to darkness. Those situations should look very different.

Nerven
Rivendell

Dec 18 2014, 7:49pm

Post #6 of 12 (241 views)
Shortcut
. [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah, but that doesnīt make sense, in the temptation scene she imagined herself how she would be when she got the ring (in the book she appeared to Frodo "beautiful beyond enduring by the way) but in this case she only used her power and she has no reason to appear so evil imo.

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Dec 18 2014, 7:51pm

Post #7 of 12 (248 views)
Shortcut
I think the Dol Guldur demonic energy affetts her in the way she looks in nuclear form [In reply to] Can't Post

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true

Survivor to the battle for the fifth trailer

DigificWriter
Lorien

Dec 18 2014, 7:54pm

Post #8 of 12 (242 views)
Shortcut
Her Elven Ring [In reply to] Can't Post

Is it so hard to fathom that the "Dark Queen" imagery is directly generated by her possession of her Elven Ring? That's what I believe they were going for.

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Dec 18 2014, 8:03pm

Post #9 of 12 (238 views)
Shortcut
apparently in movieverse she is affected by the energy that is in Dol Guldur, so I think the ring [In reply to] Can't Post

is a catalizer of Galadrielīs own thoughts and feelings

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true

Survivor to the battle for the fifth trailer

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Dec 19 2014, 12:00am

Post #10 of 12 (158 views)
Shortcut
well [In reply to] Can't Post

..I actually have no idea (though the first post is well thought out)...

rememebr the scene in the book where Glorfindel drives the Nazgul into the river, and he is a blinding light? An Elf lord revealed in his power...

i was thinking something like that.

"Judge me by my size, would you?" Max the Hobbit Husky.

skyofcoffeebeans
Rohan

Dec 19 2014, 2:09am

Post #11 of 12 (151 views)
Shortcut
She looks nothing like her FOTR counterpart [In reply to] Can't Post

That's clearly the intent, but there's much more of a "The Ring influence on her demonic appearance. It is really jarring and out of character and doesn't hit the mark it's aiming for. People aren't quite so obtuse as to not understand what he's trying to do here.

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Dec 19 2014, 4:35am

Post #12 of 12 (126 views)
Shortcut
I agree. [In reply to] Can't Post

I loved the way she looked when she lit up like. And I was really disappointed by how they made her look when she actually faced Sauron. I sort of get what they were going for, but I still think it was too unclear because of how brief the scene was. They went too far with the creepiness of the design, and I don't think it should take this many Tolkien fans to come up with a suitable explanation for why she looked like that. Laugh

Of course it's fun to speculate and even Tolkien's use of magic isn't always very clearly defined, but I think it could have been handled better overall.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.