The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
North America early Wednesday estimates $24-25m

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Dec 18 2014, 1:42pm

Post #1 of 24 (1206 views)
Shortcut
North America early Wednesday estimates $24-25m Can't Post

If those are correct and i have no reason to believe they deviate much from eventual actuals, we might have another disappointing North American gross on our hands. According to my calculations, BOFA will come short of DOS, the question is by how much. My early extrapolations have it finish with $230-250m. Granted, they are based on one day, but i'm pretty confident in them. Hope i'm wrong, though.

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Dec 18 2014, 1:51pm

Post #2 of 24 (714 views)
Shortcut
These numbers are for Wednesday only? [In reply to] Can't Post

"You cannot find peace by avoiding life"

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Dec 18 2014, 1:55pm

Post #3 of 24 (676 views)
Shortcut
Wednesday including previews / midnights // [In reply to] Can't Post

macfalk
Valinor

Dec 18 2014, 2:01pm

Post #4 of 24 (701 views)
Shortcut
BOM predicts it will make more than DOS [In reply to] Can't Post

http://boxofficemojo.com/.../?id=3979&p=.htm

"If it winds up near that level, that will put it on pace to earn well over $250 million total, which would be a solid result for this franchise finale."

"Still, this virtually guarantees that The Battle of the Five Armies opens above The Fellowship of the Ring, which earned $75 million over the same period back in 2001."

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

(This post was edited by macfalk on Dec 18 2014, 2:04pm)

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Dec 18 2014, 2:04pm

Post #5 of 24 (681 views)
Shortcut
So we have [In reply to] Can't Post

Thuesday:11.2
Wednesday: 24-25(Estimate)
Thursday: ?
Friday: ?
Saturday: ?
Sunday: ?

And DOS started on a Friday with Thursday being the equal of BOFA'S Thuesday but in the case of BOFA it was about 3.5 million ahead of DOS in that day right?

(This post was edited by NecromancerRising on Dec 18 2014, 2:06pm)

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Dec 18 2014, 2:07pm

Post #6 of 24 (645 views)
Shortcut
Where? [In reply to] Can't Post

Your quote talks about the opening. It will likely outopen FOTR's first 5-day gross but not by a lot. However, BOFA's legs will be nowhere near FOTR's.

EDIT:
Okay, you added another quote. About that one, with a 24-25m wednesday, i highly doubt BOFA will make $100m on its first five days, more like $85m. To their defense, they wrote that before knowing the wednesday gross.

(This post was edited by Estel78 on Dec 18 2014, 2:12pm)

macfalk
Valinor

Dec 18 2014, 2:14pm

Post #7 of 24 (646 views)
Shortcut
Why only 85 million? [In reply to] Can't Post

Surely on Saturday and Sunday it should make a lot of money. I predict 90 million +

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Dec 18 2014, 2:16pm

Post #8 of 24 (624 views)
Shortcut
Yes,but even if we compare [In reply to] Can't Post

a Wednesday with a Friday in which case,we should not, BOFA is 6 millions behind and comparing Thuesday with Thursday,BOFA is 2.5 millions ahead. It is too early for any solid prediction in my opinion.

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Dec 18 2014, 2:21pm

Post #9 of 24 (609 views)
Shortcut
Again, Wednesday includes previews / midnights [In reply to] Can't Post

It's more like:

Tuesday (plus Wednesday midnights) 11.2
Wednesday: 13-14

But studios tend to lump all the preview grosses together with the opening day, even though technically, it's more than one day gross.

In Reply To
Thuesday:11.2
Wednesday: 24-25(Estimate)
Thursday: ?
Friday: ?
Saturday: ?
Sunday: ?

And DOS started on a Friday with Thursday being the equal of BOFA'S Thuesday but in the case of BOFA it was about 3.5 million ahead of DOS in that day right?

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Dec 18 2014, 2:25pm

Post #10 of 24 (613 views)
Shortcut
So,we have a 2 day of approximately 25m? [In reply to] Can't Post

Without even counting the first whole weekend plus Thursday? Hmmm, i believe that once more your predictions including most of the box office sites will fall short.

tsmith675
Gondor

Dec 18 2014, 2:27pm

Post #11 of 24 (605 views)
Shortcut
A Wednesday =/= a Friday [In reply to] Can't Post

Obviously DoS had a better opening day. It opened on a weekend. More people go see movies on a weekend rather than in the middle of the week.

Misty Mountain Hop
Rivendell

Dec 18 2014, 3:17pm

Post #12 of 24 (592 views)
Shortcut
Forbes just posted this 15 minutes ago [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.forbes.com/...solid-24m-wednesday/

"Only, you've never done a hard day's work." - Merry

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Dec 18 2014, 3:26pm

Post #13 of 24 (557 views)
Shortcut
I think it will be off [In reply to] Can't Post

I have said from the start I think the box office will be lower than the other two. Not bceause it isn't desreving but just because of what is happening to cinema in the United States. People are starting to shy away from cinema in general I think due to cost and other competing entertainment. Also,some cinema chains are hurting for money with the archaic and outdated system of frontloading films by the distribution companies. Essentially they are killing their own market albeit slowly.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

macfalk
Valinor

Dec 18 2014, 3:31pm

Post #14 of 24 (498 views)
Shortcut
Link broken for me // [In reply to] Can't Post

Misty Mountain Hop
Rivendell

Dec 18 2014, 3:47pm

Post #15 of 24 (484 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm...here's the original address [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2014/12/18/box-office-hobbit-3-opens-with-solid-24m-wednesday/

"Only, you've never done a hard day's work." - Merry

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Dec 18 2014, 3:52pm

Post #16 of 24 (473 views)
Shortcut
Because that's what my number crunching tells me ;) [In reply to] Can't Post

The Forbes article agrees with me.

ROTK's Wednesday to 5-day total multiplier was 3.6 (123 / 34). If we apply that to BOFA we get 88m for the 5-day. BOFA might be even more frontloaded. Or not - which is what i hope. But chances are probably it's at least as frontloaded as ROTK for the 5-day.

Avandel
Half-elven

Dec 18 2014, 4:08pm

Post #17 of 24 (447 views)
Shortcut
Why does anyone compare LOTR numbers when things have changed so much? [In reply to] Can't Post

E.g., don't see the point of comparing movies from 10 years ago, because since then there has been a technology explosion for good or bad, as movie studios well know.

Home theaters, streaming, renting-on-the-fly, pirating, discs - IMO to make any meaningful comparison you'd have to factor in some sort of assumed loss (at least in the U.S. where even cars are sold w. DVD players for the back seats) to the home viewing market.

Personally go to a lot less movies - LOL why should I move my lazy self from the comfort and control of the remote unless the movie is SPECIAL? Which BOFA is of courseHeart, and hope to get to the local IMAX today.

Elessar
Valinor

Dec 18 2014, 4:28pm

Post #18 of 24 (413 views)
Shortcut
Exactly [In reply to] Can't Post

I think for a Wednesday opening 24-25 million in December is a solid one. I expect this to be in the 95-100 million this weekend ending around the $265-275 million mark. I think it will do quite well outside the states and hit 1 billion and up to 1.1 billion.

Avandel
Half-elven

Dec 18 2014, 4:30pm

Post #19 of 24 (438 views)
Shortcut
And evidently there is something called "threequelitis" e.g. audience fatigue [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/dec/05/hobbit-hunger-games-film-trilogies

http://deadline.com/...hise-low-1201292612/

Supposedly. I know I didn't bother to go to Mockingjay and having it split into 2 parts didn't help. But I'd rather wait and see re BOFA through the weekend for the numbers.

I know for myself, not being fond of movie musicals, that LOL I was staring in horror at the "Annie" footage (supposedly another BOFA competitor being released this weekend) that I had to sit through at the marathon viewingEvil.

TRAPPED. Nowhere to run, blocked in by others on all sides unless I wanted to dislodge everyone who had just gotten comfortable. Listening to the stars of the picture gush about how wonderful the actors are, the movie is, and so on....tho the "San Andreas" teaser trailer was fun - yeah!, another disaster film *grins*CoolCoolCool

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Dec 18 2014, 4:37pm

Post #20 of 24 (405 views)
Shortcut
ROTK was released on exactly the same day [In reply to] Can't Post

The dates fall on the same days, also. And it was the most frontloaded of the LOTR movies. All reasons why ROTK is a good movie for projecting BOFA's daily patterns, at least initially. BOFA will likely fall off more quickly later, after Holidays are over, since for one it won't get an Oscar boost.

Avandel
Half-elven

Dec 18 2014, 5:14pm

Post #21 of 24 (379 views)
Shortcut
Understood, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

Have any number of friends and family who sing "I'm just gonna wait for Netflix"! "ComCast will have it on in a month or so!" "I'm gonna wait for the DVD!" "It's too nasty outside to go to the movies and the malls are so crowded!" "I'm broke and why should I pay movie theater prices when I can watch it at home?"

Granted, some of these movie-goers don't fall into the "highest movie-going demographic" so it's more work to shift them from the house anywayCool, but re ROTK release period don't think so much viewing choice was available.Unsure

I'll bet somewhere out there, some math whiz hired by the industry has developed a factor that estimates the theater loss per U.S. household per year to the home viewing market + the bad economy.

(LOL it would be a detail-loving Hobbit movie fan who is fretting over "statistical accuracy +/- estimated errors" etc. Wink)

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Dec 18 2014, 6:09pm

Post #22 of 24 (344 views)
Shortcut
Exactly [In reply to] Can't Post

There is already concern among the Cable/Satellite industry as Cable/Satellite subscriptions were way off this year and one of the reasons is streaming. People are choosing not to go out when they can pay Netflix $10 a month and watch when they want to.

American culture and habits are changing and it's not only the movies. Evidently more people this year are opting out of the Christmas retail buying than any other year. People are either buying online and they said I think that close to 10% have now decided not to buy at all.

The Economy is taking it's toll across the board and people's entertainment habits are changing for sure. Even at sporting events I would be interested to see the figures as far as individual tickets bought vs. blocks of seats owned or bought by corporate sponsers. The average individual is being priced out of many entertainment options and it doesn't help that the movie industry is stuck in an archaic model.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

shadowdog
Rohan

Dec 18 2014, 6:44pm

Post #23 of 24 (320 views)
Shortcut
Well then there are those of us [In reply to] Can't Post

Who don't live near a theater. It is 120 miles round trip for me to get to a theater and about $40 for gas for the trip.

Avandel
Half-elven

Dec 18 2014, 10:17pm

Post #24 of 24 (252 views)
Shortcut
Good point! [In reply to] Can't Post

And *sad* people like me stuck in an urban areaFrown forget that a lot of towns have businesses that close at 5 or 6 PM, instead of staying open all night. Tho I guess the trade-off is having plenty of theaters to choose from, tho some of the best are still the two-dollar, second-tier theaters.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.