Can anyone explain? (Spoilers)
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

MJM
The Shire

Dec 18 2014, 2:42pm

Post #1 of 33 (1308 views)
Shortcut
Can anyone explain? (Spoilers) Can't Post

I have seen BOFA and I love it, but there is one part of the movie that I really have a problem with. (No it is not the Mario Legolas scene.) The scene where Azog is lying face up under the surface of the ice looking at Thorin and then leaps out through the ice and attacks him makes absolutely no sense to me. I actually liked the Legolas scene because it was possible because he is an elf, but there is no way that Azog would be able to have the momentum to be able to leap out of the river like he does, or is there? Does anybody have a possible explanation? Thanks!

May the hair on your toes never fall out!

AshNazg
Gondor

Dec 18 2014, 2:45pm

Post #2 of 33 (689 views)
Shortcut
A were-worm pushed him out // [In reply to] Can't Post

There&ThereAgain
Rohan

Dec 18 2014, 3:02pm

Post #3 of 33 (664 views)
Shortcut
I just presumed it was just for cinematic purposes [In reply to] Can't Post

All the time in fantasy and sci-fi films characters make one 'final push' when their death is near. Can explain how Thorin survives so long as well.

"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair; and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater."-J.R.R. Tolkien

"Thanks for the money!" -George Lucas

MorgolKing
Rivendell

Dec 18 2014, 3:02pm

Post #4 of 33 (656 views)
Shortcut
Legolas anti-gravity boots make no sense [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry, I just had to comment. Just b/c Legolas is an elf doesn't mean it makes sense that he can walk on falling rocks.

What kind of reasoning is that? He's an elf = can walk on falling rocks.

dungolfin
The Shire

Dec 18 2014, 3:14pm

Post #5 of 33 (636 views)
Shortcut
It's because PJ is really bad at physics... [In reply to] Can't Post

There are numerous examples across the whole series where gravity, weight, inertia and momentum are all ignored. It's best to ignore it or it'll spoil your enjoyment of the films.

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Dec 18 2014, 3:18pm

Post #6 of 33 (624 views)
Shortcut
Perhaps he floated over a rock. [In reply to] Can't Post

And used his feet to push himself up through the ice. I'm not sure that's quite the point if the scene though!

adt100
Rohan

Dec 18 2014, 3:22pm

Post #7 of 33 (610 views)
Shortcut
That scene bugged me tbh! [In reply to] Can't Post

I loved the way Azog went under the water, as much due to his own hands as Thorin's, seemed actually very poignant.

Great visual imagery to him floating beneath Thorin's feet. Alas, the moment his eyes closed you almost KNEW he was going to open them again and somehow attack! Did seem a bit OTT.

adt100
Rohan

Dec 18 2014, 3:23pm

Post #8 of 33 (599 views)
Shortcut
True this. I mean a dragon being able to fly with those small wings too! [In reply to] Can't Post

tsmith675
Gondor

Dec 18 2014, 3:25pm

Post #9 of 33 (632 views)
Shortcut
I don't even care. [In reply to] Can't Post

That scene was cool Cool

MJM
The Shire

Dec 18 2014, 3:33pm

Post #10 of 33 (599 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

...because Legolas is described as being very light in the books, technically it would be possible for him to be able to push off of the rocks, even if they were in free fall.

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Dec 18 2014, 3:35pm

Post #11 of 33 (589 views)
Shortcut
That's my feeling too [In reply to] Can't Post

I just went with it. It worked for me. I thought it was cool and I liked it. Much more dramatic than just having Thorin take some spears from some Orcs.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

MJM
The Shire

Dec 18 2014, 3:36pm

Post #12 of 33 (577 views)
Shortcut
Yes... [In reply to] Can't Post

...I am just assuming that the particular area of the river that he was in was rather shallow. Laugh

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Dec 18 2014, 3:41pm

Post #13 of 33 (599 views)
Shortcut
I have two insights.... [In reply to] Can't Post

"Legolas watched them for a while with a smile upon his lips, and then he turned to the others. `The strongest must seek a way, say you? But I say: let a ploughman plough, but choose an otter for swimming, and for running light over grass and leaf or over snow-an Elf.'"

Also: just watch Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon a few times.

I think Tolkien meant for that snow scene to show a spiritual lightness. Legolas' entire character in the books is "magical child", very much of the Light, inspirational, uplifting, peering into the forest of Fangorn with a sense of wonder when everyone else is sharpening their weapons... he is also closely connected to Nature and natural forces.

CTHD is a fantasy kung-fu film with a lot of wire fu, but the basic concepts of martial arts are there. Martin Lee wrote "The Healing Art of Tai Chi: Becoming One With Nature", he's a PhD (Stanford Linear Accelerator Center) and a tai chi master... somehow the laws of physics and the Chinese art of moving energy around with your mind aren't two separate ideas here...

Now, of you had centuries to practice....

you could run up falling rocks too.

As for leaping out of water like a crocodile or whale or great white shark....

well, they do it.

"Judge me by my size, would you?" Max the Hobbit Husky.

Darkstone
Immortal

Dec 18 2014, 3:41pm

Post #14 of 33 (591 views)
Shortcut
Yep, the film is a failure as a physics course supplement. [In reply to] Can't Post

Though some other courses might want to use it to illustrate how dinosaurs co-existed with humans 6000 years ago, so not a total fail.

"It was a bright cold day in April, and the mantle clock was striking thirteen."

(This post was edited by Darkstone on Dec 18 2014, 3:42pm)

MJM
The Shire

Dec 18 2014, 3:42pm

Post #15 of 33 (577 views)
Shortcut
It was... [In reply to] Can't Post

...but it would have been cooler if it were more realistic. But I suppose compared to a lot of the things in this series it is realistic. Sly

Remus
Lorien

Dec 18 2014, 3:43pm

Post #16 of 33 (575 views)
Shortcut
First [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought Azog would sink to the bottom because of the armor weighting A LOT... But nope.. But it's not a big annoying thing for me. And that ice looked pretty thick to "jump through".

adt100
Rohan

Dec 18 2014, 5:02pm

Post #17 of 33 (512 views)
Shortcut
Interesting comments there! [In reply to] Can't Post

(though I'm still not a fan ;)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 18 2014, 5:48pm

Post #18 of 33 (485 views)
Shortcut
Cuz it's awesome! [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe the ice was thin right there... making him clear to see (and be seen) and to first drive a knife through the ice into Thorin's foot. He could have used that as something to pull on and get some torque.

The great thing about Jackson at times like these is that it doesn't have to make sense... it's a ride, and it's a shocker, and it's awesome because it defies gravity or common sense. ;)

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - May 15, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Dec 18 2014, 5:50pm

Post #19 of 33 (477 views)
Shortcut
Hero [In reply to] Can't Post

Hero was a great movie and like Crouching tiger had tons of unexplained stunts in typical fashion. A great movie nonetheless.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

utku
Rivendell

Dec 18 2014, 6:52pm

Post #20 of 33 (449 views)
Shortcut
Well it must be very shallow indeed anyway [In reply to] Can't Post

Since they are not standing on a merely frozen lake, they are standing on a frozen waterfall. There's no way it would be deep, in fact it's only logical that it would be shallow.

Cillendor
Lorien

Dec 18 2014, 7:19pm

Post #21 of 33 (439 views)
Shortcut
Wow, that was completely uncalled for. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Though some other courses might want to use it to illustrate how dinosaurs co-existed with humans 6000 years ago, so not a total fail.

What on earth prompted this comment? It makes no sense, has nothing to do with the conversation, and is a cheap shot made for no apparent reason. I normally really respect your comments and insight, but not now.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Dec 18 2014, 7:24pm

Post #22 of 33 (428 views)
Shortcut
HAVE Any of you been to Niagara Falls? [In reply to] Can't Post

Because of thizz..

Huge Crack in the "Canadian Shield"
{A Tectonic Plate} all waters lead there.The Largest contentiously VOLUME..of FRESH Water

THE Volume of water determines it depth..
in Late Autumn Now past Durin's Day..early Winter..
not much Run-off.

THIN ICE YEzz Precious YEszz..

{Ice Hockey W/ Swordszz}

ORCS are Russians, Everybody ELSE are Canadians!

unsigned opinon

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

dubulous
Rohan

Dec 18 2014, 9:31pm

Post #23 of 33 (381 views)
Shortcut
Maybe the water was shallow [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe he could actually reach the bottom and was able to have the momentum from there.

What I found implausible was that he would still be able to function so well after being under freezing cold water like that. Actually they were all pretty lightly dressed for a wheather cold enough to freeze over an entire waterfall. :P

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Dec 18 2014, 11:03pm

Post #24 of 33 (356 views)
Shortcut
Hero... [In reply to] Can't Post

was indeed fantastic, as was House of Flying Daggers... with Crouching Tiger, they made a kind of neat kung-fu trilogy.

Like much of what goes on in Middle Earth, the "magic" is never explained, it is just shown.

Show, don't tell.

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Dec 18 2014, 11:04pm

Post #25 of 33 (357 views)
Shortcut
on thin ice... [In reply to] Can't Post

and the bottom could be shallower, and ice does vary greatly in texture... and anyway, orcs...

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.