The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Ridiculous Acorn Theory *minor spoiler*

DisDwarfWoman
Rivendell

Dec 18 2014, 12:09am

Post #1 of 14 (922 views)
Shortcut
Ridiculous Acorn Theory *minor spoiler* Can't Post

First, apologies if anyone posted this before and I missed it.

I was just thinking about the acorn Bilbo gets from Beorn's house, which he says he's going to plant in his garden.

What if in 60 years it's grown into the Party Tree?!?!

Maybe a bit of a stretch height-wise compared to the movie, but there's no specific mention of how tall it is in the book.

AshNazg
Gondor

Dec 18 2014, 12:22am

Post #2 of 14 (492 views)
Shortcut
I suggested this in an earlier thread... [In reply to] Can't Post

The way I see it they have taken the concept from RotK, of Galadriel giving Sam the mallorn nut (which he plants where the party tree used to be before the scouring); they've taken that same concept and given it to Bilbo.

59 years is plenty of time for an acorn to grow to a substantial size - plus Beorn's acorns could grow faster than regular ones (As Galadriel's did in the book). So it's perfectly plausible and makes total sense that Bilbo would throw his party and make his speech next to that tree.

I personally like it.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Dec 18 2014, 12:23am

Post #3 of 14 (446 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

I did think of the party tree when the acorn was shown. I think that perhaps we were meant to think that.Smile

DisDwarfWoman
Rivendell

Dec 18 2014, 12:27am

Post #4 of 14 (421 views)
Shortcut
oops, sorry! [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't see your post.

Glad I'm not the only one though, I thought that was such a hobbit-like thing for him to bring back too.

I love the idea of him giving his speech under the tree too. And it's nice that it gets replaced by the one Sam brings back from his own "there and back again".

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 18 2014, 1:29am

Post #5 of 14 (364 views)
Shortcut
I thought the same thing. [In reply to] Can't Post

I like it as headcanon, even if remains an unconfirmed theory when all is said and done.

Silverlode

Want a LOTR Anniversary footer of your own? Get one here!

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dűm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Dec 18 2014, 1:34am

Post #6 of 14 (348 views)
Shortcut
I love it [In reply to] Can't Post

And yes I thought the same thing. I like that we can muse on that as we watch the films over and over. As Silverlode said it's awesome headcanon even if it isn't intended.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

Glaurung63
Lorien

Dec 18 2014, 2:25am

Post #7 of 14 (319 views)
Shortcut
Thinking the same! [In reply to] Can't Post

I too thought of the party tree! And yeah, Beorn's trees could probably grow quickly...just because! I want to believe this!

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Dec 18 2014, 3:23am

Post #8 of 14 (304 views)
Shortcut
not so ridiculous acorn theory! [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile

"Judge me by my size, would you?" Max the Hobbit Husky.

Cirashala
Valinor

Dec 18 2014, 3:26am

Post #9 of 14 (288 views)
Shortcut
I saw it but don't remember [In reply to] Can't Post

as I was in tears by that point....Frown

WAS the party tree present when Bilbo got back? Or was it missing?

FrogmortonJustice65
Lorien

Dec 18 2014, 3:47am

Post #10 of 14 (290 views)
Shortcut
just curious [In reply to] Can't Post

is the party tree ever shown in AUJ or BOFA?

that's a lovely little theory you have there, I would love to believe it, but if the tree did appear then that would unfortunately contradict it.

photo cbccab4e-f61e-4be5-aaa1-20e302430c7c.jpg

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Dec 18 2014, 4:00am

Post #11 of 14 (279 views)
Shortcut
It's hard to say [In reply to] Can't Post

there are several large trees in the outside shot when bilbo comes running out of his Hobbit Hole to go on the journey. There is one both on the far right,and far left only partial views. I cannot tell if these are the party trees or not from FOTR.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

DisDwarfWoman
Rivendell

Dec 18 2014, 4:17am

Post #12 of 14 (268 views)
Shortcut
Good point. [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't remember it being shown specifically, but its also something I haven't looked for. Something to check when I watch them both again (probably this weekend!).

DisDwarfWoman
Rivendell

Dec 18 2014, 4:20am

Post #13 of 14 (260 views)
Shortcut
Yes! [In reply to] Can't Post

just because! I want to believe this!

Me too!

moreorless
Gondor

Dec 18 2014, 8:17am

Post #14 of 14 (241 views)
Shortcut
Honestly I think its common though out the films... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
First, apologies if anyone posted this before and I missed it.

I was just thinking about the acorn Bilbo gets from Beorn's house, which he says he's going to plant in his garden.

What if in 60 years it's grown into the Party Tree?!?!

Maybe a bit of a stretch height-wise compared to the movie, but there's no specific mention of how tall it is in the book.

I'v gotten the impression though out the films that Jackson and co have looked to take elements of LOTR's that they didn't have space to include in those films and work them into the Hobbit.

Mirkwood for example for me clearly seems to echo the Old Forrest in its sense of a sleepy mazy created to entrap and the High Fells tombs give me a strong feeling of the Barrow Downs.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.