The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Anyone else not cry?

Beorn's Bees
Lorien

Dec 18 2014, 1:24am

Post #1 of 21 (1180 views)
Shortcut
Anyone else not cry? Can't Post

I was really looking forward to having a good cry during this film, but alas, I only shed tears during the credits, knowing it was all over.

Anyone else in the same boat? Don't get me wrong, I loved the film, but it didn't seem to invest me emotionally as much as I think it should have.

ecthelionsbeard
Lorien

Dec 18 2014, 1:34am

Post #2 of 21 (862 views)
Shortcut
Man oh man…. [In reply to] Can't Post

I got lumpy and glassy eyed at both Fili and Kili's deaths. Even though things were changed up from the book, the tragedy and emotion was palpable. However, when Bilbo attempts to comfort an utterly exhausted and mortally wounded Thorin on the frozen lake bed with his speech about the eagles, I lost it. I just lost it man. That was the most palpable death in the saga, in my genuine opinion. I shed a couple of quiet tears. And I never shed tears at the movies. Ever.

tsmith675
Gondor

Dec 18 2014, 1:56am

Post #3 of 21 (799 views)
Shortcut
Had Thorin and Bilbo's conversation... [In reply to] Can't Post

While he was dying been just a little longer and didn't cut away after he died so quickly, I probably would have. I was on the verge of tears, and it cut away.

tarasaurus
Rohan

Dec 18 2014, 2:01am

Post #4 of 21 (762 views)
Shortcut
I bawled like a wee little baby [In reply to] Can't Post

I was prepared to do this but I was ugly crying like no other. I had to use all of my energy not to burst out sobbing.

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Dec 18 2014, 2:04am

Post #5 of 21 (781 views)
Shortcut
the Thorin scene [In reply to] Can't Post

It was over for me when Bilbo started sobbing. Darn you Marti Freeman!!!!

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

sevilodorf
Tol Eressea

Dec 18 2014, 2:28am

Post #6 of 21 (688 views)
Shortcut
No tears here// [In reply to] Can't Post

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com
Home of TheOneRing.net Best FanFic stories of 2005 and 2006 "The Last Grey Ship" and "Ashes, East Wind, Hope That Rises" by Erin Rua

(Found in Mathoms, LOTR Tales Untold)

Glaurung63
Lorien

Dec 18 2014, 2:29am

Post #7 of 21 (705 views)
Shortcut
I did get lumps in throat [In reply to] Can't Post

During the death scenes....and at the ending and then during Billy's song...it's been a long journey

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Dec 18 2014, 2:40am

Post #8 of 21 (704 views)
Shortcut
Heh, me too [In reply to] Can't Post

But then the scene that they cut away to made me shed a few tears. (It was good, but i think the effect was also cumulative).

Riven Delve
Tol Eressea

Dec 18 2014, 2:52am

Post #9 of 21 (709 views)
Shortcut
I didn't cry [In reply to] Can't Post

(mostly because I was so annoyed at the way the three deaths were handled)...but that's not to say I won't in future viewings. It was a shame too, because I had such a nice supply of tissues ready! Tongue

“Tollers,” Lewis said to Tolkien, “there is too little of what we really like in stories. I am afraid we shall have to try and write some ourselves.”

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Dec 18 2014, 3:33am

Post #10 of 21 (692 views)
Shortcut
the problem is.... [In reply to] Can't Post

...we all knew the ending, we all read the books, we all know the story...

...just not precisely how it would happen (since the story is blocked out so broadly in an oral tradition)...

...so, whoa, here I am, in the theater, with my buddy, and...

????????? IS IT DECEMBER ALREADY???????

IS IT REALLY THE LAST VISIT TO MIDDLE EARTH (well, not counting the 46817364981 more times I'll read the books and rewatch the films)...

... wait, is it here.... no, has to be on the battlefield with,,, wait...

WAHT?!?!?!?!

Tauriel...

WAHT?!?!?!

Kili... WAHT?!?!?

...so even though we know the ending (or so we think), the films have still caused us to sit on the edge of our seats a bit.

I think I was just trying to absorb it all. I think the second viewing will actually resonate more emotionally. I think I reacted more to the lines or situations I knew from the books...

like that moment when...

"The Elves were the first to charge. Their hatred for the goblins is cold and bitter. Their spears and swords shone in the gloom with a gleam of chill flame so deadly was the wrath of the hands that held them." That is probably my favorite line in the book, my favorite image, and it was well done in the film, to the point where I wanted to shout!

Martin Freeman and Richard Armitage though....

Every single actor in this is just awesome.

"Judge me by my size, would you?" Max the Hobbit Husky.

FrogmortonJustice65
Lorien

Dec 18 2014, 3:41am

Post #11 of 21 (655 views)
Shortcut
I didn't cry [In reply to] Can't Post

Came very close to crying as Bilbo walked back to Bag End, because it started to set in that his journey was over (as was mine). The only reason I didn't cry was because of the relatively humorous scene that followed it! I do anticipate getting a little more choked up in future viewings though.

photo cbccab4e-f61e-4be5-aaa1-20e302430c7c.jpg

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Dec 18 2014, 4:14am

Post #12 of 21 (634 views)
Shortcut
i didn't cry either [In reply to] Can't Post

it was a sad scene but it didn't produce a tear. When Theoden died in ROTK i did shed some tears though.

The flames of war are upon you..

Kimtc
Rohan

Dec 18 2014, 4:21am

Post #13 of 21 (643 views)
Shortcut
I didn't cry in any of LOTR... [In reply to] Can't Post

But this one I just bawled. Both times I saw it! I actually got a little choked up with Tauriel grieving over Kili, but when Bilbo is with Thorin at the end, that's it. I was sure I would be in better form the second viewing because I knew what was coming, but it didn't matter.

Sebastian the Hedgehog
Rivendell

Dec 18 2014, 4:28am

Post #14 of 21 (634 views)
Shortcut
For me [In reply to] Can't Post

I was at the marathon and I was tired after staring at a screen in 3D HFR for 9 hours, and I don't express emotion well when I'm tired Tongue I keep thinking about the deaths and the ending though, and I feel that I'll tear up when I see it again.

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Dec 18 2014, 4:31am

Post #15 of 21 (630 views)
Shortcut
the 2nd time [In reply to] Can't Post

I think i actually cried more. I knew it was coming and when Martin Freeman starts to bawl over Thorin I was just blubbering big time and didn't stop. All the way through the credits. The first time I got hold of myself after Thorin's death but the 2nd time I continued to cry and cried till i got home.

I think a lot of it was the realization that Middle Earth in the movie cinema is over. Kind of gutted by that honestly.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

Kimtc
Rohan

Dec 18 2014, 4:40am

Post #16 of 21 (621 views)
Shortcut
I bet you're right about the finality of it all [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe I'm crying because it's sad, or maybe I'm crying because it's all over, and even if PJ could get the rights and wrangle a coherent script out of the Silmarrilion, he will be filming it from a wheelchair and I will be watching it in my nursing home.

Luckily I have many hours of discs to keep me happy!

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Dec 18 2014, 4:52am

Post #17 of 21 (646 views)
Shortcut
I cried (Spoilers) [In reply to] Can't Post

Hiccupy, sobby, saying "no no no no.." under my breath. Thorin trying to smile through the pain, trying to comfort Bilbo, Bilbo trying to save Thorin. Even before that, Thorin watching Fili being butchered; it was such a senseless death. Thranduil telling Tauriel it hurts because it is real. I never really cared one way or another about Tauriel. I could see why they put her in and I thought is made sense but I was never invested. But man... after that... yeah, I saw the same look in her face as I saw in Legolas' face after Helm's Deep. That overwhelming sense of loss in death. That was an elf dealing with the snuffing out of a life, something that doesn't happen to them except in violence. It was powerful, that sense of loss.

I came away with the same sense of disbelief. It didn't feel like 9 hours, it didn't feel like it was over because it just... couldn't be. I think it's on purpose that felt like that. Bilbo feels like that. He goes back but never again is he perfectly content with his books and his garden. Gandalf said he would not return the same Hobbit. I made me wonder about the similarities and differences with Bilbo and Frodo returning. Frodo has physical wounds from which he never recovered, Bilbo's wounds were hidden but just as profound.

Thanks to the good Professor and to SPJ and this amazing cast and crew (and the cast and crew of LOTR) I am not the same either. I have wandered, I have found and lost, I have learned and I have much to learn. I value things differently but I will never forget the value of the small and the least because they too can do great things.

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Dec 18 2014, 8:53am

Post #18 of 21 (569 views)
Shortcut
Nope, not even a lump in the throat... [In reply to] Can't Post

unlike when I watched RotK the first time.
But it may have been because I went in to BotFA knowing what to expect from the spoilers...

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Dec 18 2014, 9:41am

Post #19 of 21 (548 views)
Shortcut
ROTK is the film that left me completely cold [In reply to] Can't Post

with the exhausting and emotionally forced endings. Too much melodrama. The only scene that touched me was in the EE when Eomer found Eowyn lying "dead" on the battlefield.

"You cannot find peace by avoiding life"

(This post was edited by NecromancerRising on Dec 18 2014, 9:42am)

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Dec 18 2014, 2:01pm

Post #20 of 21 (486 views)
Shortcut
I didn't cry over the endings... [In reply to] Can't Post

It was Denethor confirming to Faramir he would rather he had died instead of his brother, and Sam's "I can't carry it for you Mr Frodo, but I can carry you..."

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

Dec 19 2014, 2:43pm

Post #21 of 21 (426 views)
Shortcut
I started welling up the minute I saw Fili in Azog's possession [In reply to] Can't Post

and just continued a slow cry from there through Bilbo taking his leave of the dwarves.

However I am unmoved by the finality of this being the final venture to Middle-earth because it just isn't real for me. It may be simple denial, but I think it's partly because I think the movie I really want to see is the EE which is still months away from being released. I can't wait to see the TE again but the "real" BOTFA isn't even finished yet. So much to look forward to still. Cool

"If not us, who? If not now, when?" HeforShe

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.