Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Anera Eht:
Bilbo w/One Ring and Sting vs. Frodo w/One Ring and Sting

Keebler the Elf
Llednevir

Mar 13 2008, 3:11pm

Post #1 of 16 (5004 views)
Shortcut
Bilbo w/One Ring and Sting vs. Frodo w/One Ring and Sting Can't Post

Now this is interesting. Lets say that each have a One Ring, and they are both wielding Sting. Who would win? Frodo wasn't much of a fighter, but then, he knew of the Ring's True Master, and felt an immense burden when he was Ringbearer. Bilbo was a pretty good fighter for a hobbit, and a very brave hobbit at that. He was Spider-bane and Orc-bane. So take your pick.

Farawyn
NahoR

Mar 14 2008, 12:17am

Post #2 of 16 (1095 views)
Shortcut
Wow. [In reply to] Can't Post

In all my years I think this is one battle that I haven't seen.

I'll have to think about it, but my gut reaction was Bilbo.

Disclaimer: The author of this message does not guarantee correct grammar, spelling or English usage. No responsibility can be accepted for the use of this message as a guide to written English.
Discuss:
Photobucket

nudge
Eerb

Mar 15 2008, 12:53am

Post #3 of 16 (1067 views)
Shortcut
Bilbo [In reply to] Can't Post

They can't see one another so both run around swinging wildly. Then, Bilbo, the luckiest hafling in history, lops off Frodo's head. That's it.

Check out my sites: Hobbit Central & Journey of the Ring

7ofEowyn
Erihs Eht

Mar 15 2008, 4:31am

Post #4 of 16 (1149 views)
Shortcut
Frodo ... unless as luck rules the day [In reply to] Can't Post

Bilbo might get that lucky-head-lobbing that Nudge mentioned. But it would be just that ...luck. He'd be wandering around spouting all his titles trying to frighten & madden his apponent (since that trick worked once or twice before) and Frodo would just screw himself up and do the deed. Cool

--- "I can fight" ---

Keebler the Elf
Llednevir

Mar 16 2008, 5:48pm

Post #5 of 16 (1060 views)
Shortcut
Ok, now lets try skill. [In reply to] Can't Post

So, who would win if luck wasn't a factor?

7ofEowyn
Erihs Eht

Mar 18 2008, 1:29am

Post #6 of 16 (1098 views)
Shortcut
Without luck involved ... [In reply to] Can't Post

I still say Frodo.

He's been introduced to the idea that the ring is more than just for invisibility ... it can add strength. Also, assuming this altercation occurs at the end of each one's story/time with the ring, Frodo's been traveling with others who fight with swords. Bilbo has only been around folks with axes, not many pointers to be learned there ... not much patience on the part of potential instructors either.

Wow ... way too many reasons came flying to the top of my brain way too fast. We shouldn't be able to think of these things!Evil

--- "I can fight" ---

Keebler the Elf
Llednevir

Mar 19 2008, 12:05am

Post #7 of 16 (1038 views)
Shortcut
I disagree [In reply to] Can't Post

Bilbo was around people with swords. And he was pretty good with a sword even without any experience. He killed spiders, goblins, and was just a menace with Sting. Frodo on the other hand barely fought at all, and was not too good at it.

7ofEowyn
Erihs Eht

Mar 19 2008, 4:30am

Post #8 of 16 (1080 views)
Shortcut
so I take it ... [In reply to] Can't Post

you lean toward Bilbo as well Wink - more because of the experience with the sword. Ring doesn't make a difference. I can see that. I'd prefer Bilbo to win but still see Frodo doing the deed for some reason.

I've loved this arena battle! what fun! I'll keep watching for more.

--- "I can fight" ---

Keebler the Elf
Llednevir

Mar 20 2008, 3:32pm

Post #9 of 16 (1056 views)
Shortcut
Awesome [In reply to] Can't Post

Glad you liked it!!!! Wink

Farawyn
NahoR

Mar 20 2008, 9:42pm

Post #10 of 16 (1060 views)
Shortcut
Re: I disagree [In reply to] Can't Post

Me too. Bilbo also seems to handle things ina an easier simpler way, where Frodo seems more reluctant- mentally I mean.

Disclaimer: The author of this message does not guarantee correct grammar, spelling or English usage. No responsibility can be accepted for the use of this message as a guide to written English.
Discuss:
Photobucket

Keebler the Elf
Llednevir

Mar 20 2008, 9:46pm

Post #11 of 16 (1063 views)
Shortcut
Movies or books? [In reply to] Can't Post

If you are talking about the movies, I agree. Books, uhhhh, I'd have to say that Frodo wasn't half as stupid as half of him was in the movies.

7ofEowyn
Erihs Eht

Mar 21 2008, 4:21pm

Post #12 of 16 (1067 views)
Shortcut
I'm beginning to see a trend .... finally [In reply to] Can't Post

Both you and Farawyn see the "pre-ring infested" personage as the over-riding/determining factor. I was only looking at the "post infested". Bilbo gave up the ring on his own & never had the sense of power it could give. Frodo never gave it up (book or movie) it was taken --- He had time to feel that sense of empowerment ... and liked it. Evil Bilbo had already lost/given up the Ring before we see his "fall from grace" as it were. Frodo would seem to have had a quicker ability to access the power, again due to exposure.

Now if the fight lasted any amount of time ... hmmm ... nope, still not changing my mind.Tongue (tee hee) Don't know why, just because.

--- "I can fight" ---

Keebler the Elf
Llednevir

Mar 26 2008, 3:56pm

Post #13 of 16 (1056 views)
Shortcut
You know.... [In reply to] Can't Post

But then again, we aren't saying they are infested in this battle. They are just using the Ring against each other. Well, maybe they would have to be infested to do that. Ok, they could be, hmmmm.....

Gaffer Gamgee
Eerb

Apr 24 2008, 2:38am

Post #14 of 16 (1096 views)
Shortcut
Impossibility [In reply to] Can't Post

You have overlooked a key factor. Thee One ring is the One ring. There cannot be more than one. Therefore, this battle could never have happened. But if you overlook that, I would say Bilbo. He had been more taken over by the Ring, more prone to more violent 'episodes' and so would be more likely to kill the other for the Ring.

Heed the words of the Gaffer. For even if they not be wise, they are worth listening to.

aranelthehobbit22
Rodnog

Feb 16 2010, 2:15am

Post #15 of 16 (4131 views)
Shortcut
Cheers Gaffer! [In reply to] Can't Post

an excellent point!

Though if there were two One Rings Wink I may have to say Frodo, if his strength and will was harnessed for that purpose, that Hobbit could do anything, I mean think about it, he endured the Ring until he couldn't walk anymore, and yet he kept going, crawling up the mountain. True he couldn't destroy the Ring, but at Mt. Doom it was impossible for anyone to resist.
If his will was focused for the purpose of fighting (and yes I know this goes against his character as he hates to fight) i think he would win.

'I'm glad you are here with me. Here at the end of all things, Sam.'
feet
Walk as the Elves do: lightly upon the snow

AncalagontheBlack
NahoR

Jun 29 2013, 3:44pm

Post #16 of 16 (512 views)
Shortcut
bilbo [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.