Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
PJ's open to film more Tolkien/M-E movies in two-three years time, according to Variety
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

DeadRabbits
Rohan

Dec 17 2014, 3:53pm

Post #1 of 46 (5356 views)
Shortcut
PJ's open to film more Tolkien/M-E movies in two-three years time, according to Variety Can't Post

In an interview with Variety PJ was asked how he looks upon directing further Middle-earth movies in the future - a question to which he answered rather positively:

But what if things change, and the Tolkien properties become available for future filming. Would Jackson be interested?
“If I had to start tomorrow, I would say no, because I definitely would appreciate a break to clear my head and get my little New Zealand stories done, which is where my passion and my heart is heading now,” the director says. “But ask me in two or three years, and I’d probably say yes. It would be hard to see another filmmaker go into this world, because I certainly have an emotional ownership of it.”

There is a big if of course, since the Tolkien Estate won't sell the rights to Silmarillion, UT and CoH (certain chapters of the Appendices could be adapted into movies, though). Maybe they'll change their minds though, if WB throws the right amount of money at them? This question has come up a couple of times now, which is only natural considering BOFA is said to be PJs' last M-E movie and people obviously are hungering for more, but he somehow seems more optimistic now than before when answering those kind of questions. Maybe we'll get a surprise announcement in a couple of years?

Now now Bill, you swore this was a battle between warriors, not a bunch of miss nancies, so warriors is what I brought

Ardamírë
Valinor

Dec 17 2014, 4:09pm

Post #2 of 46 (5040 views)
Shortcut
This is so weird [In reply to] Can't Post

After hearing that this isn't necessarily PJ's last Middle-earth film from multiple actors involved in the production, we now have Peter himself saying he would do more films. It seems to me there are rumblings of a bridge-film (or two) going on at WB.

I'm not sure what I think of all this...

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 17 2014, 4:52pm

Post #3 of 46 (5034 views)
Shortcut
actors *et. al*... that is, Shore has also 'suggested' this may not be the end [In reply to] Can't Post

I reported this in the Hobbit board but it could have been put on Main, as well.

http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=810661#810661

MTV: There’s been all this back and forth over the past few days, where Ian McKellan said, “I don’t think Peter Jackson Is done with Middle Earth yet,” and then Peter Jackson said “Nope, I’m done with Middle Earth.”
So what’s your take on it? Where is Peter’s head at, and would you want to come back if there was a seventh Middle Earth film of some sort?

Shore: Well I do love Middle Earth, I mean I love working in the world. I would say, never say never. I think Peter references having rights to other works. This may well be it. These six films… So I guess we’ll see. But never say never, it would be lovely to make a return at some point to the world.

(I know you were aware of this, Ardamírë... this is just a general shout out to those reading this thread who didn't catch the Shore comment)

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

priell3
Lorien

Dec 17 2014, 5:46pm

Post #4 of 46 (4987 views)
Shortcut
Not sure [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not sure any other Middle-earth movies would draw big crowds. How many moviegoers are so into the Silmarillion, CoH, the Appendices, etc., that they would
pay money to see it in theaters?

I would, but then I've read TH, LOTR, the Sil and CoH several times over.

MikeP

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 17 2014, 6:07pm

Post #5 of 46 (4995 views)
Shortcut
I'm always intrigued by the psychology of things [In reply to] Can't Post

On one hand, the studio keeps a tight fisted hand on what can get said and what can't. Interviews with principals from the movie have to be vetted before they can be published.

And now we have a good handful of people seeming tossing off comments about 'this is not the end'. We even have Doug tweeting about that interview with Shore where he (Doug) features that comment from Shore (he could have just tweeted a link or featured some other aspect of the interview).

So why are so many people discussing it? And why now?

Well, why now could easily be because the interest is high and they have easy forums for the casually tossed off comments. (scheduled interviews about BOTFA).

Who's listening? The interviewers... casual readers/viewers of these interviewers (anyone getting dressed and watching some entertainment news show or something)... more avid fans of the films... and... people in the industry? Is there some benefit in seeding interest in the industry as well as in the fanbase?

Or could it be that they are hoping the fans will get uber-excited about the prospect and start lobbying for it? (it sure happened for The Hobbit).

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Gianna
Rohan

Dec 17 2014, 6:19pm

Post #6 of 46 (4981 views)
Shortcut
I doubt money would change the TE's minds [In reply to] Can't Post

It's not money they care about - or at least it's not what Christopher cares about. I'm certain he wouldn't change his mind no matter how much money was offered.

In any case, I don't want WB to do any more Middle-earth films!

~There's some good left in this world. And it's worth fighting for.~

KingTurgon
Rohan

Dec 17 2014, 6:53pm

Post #7 of 46 (4967 views)
Shortcut
WB maybe not [In reply to] Can't Post

But Peter Jackson? Absolutely!

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 17 2014, 7:08pm

Post #8 of 46 (4981 views)
Shortcut
I think the prospect is exciting. [In reply to] Can't Post

Especially if it was a standalone bridge movie or retaking of Moria movie*. I never want The Silmarillion made into a movie.

If there is another movie, at least it will be the first time to be (almost completely) detached from Tolkien's works. We won't need to judge or review it as an adaptation, as it it will be a complete fabrication based on very short book references. It will purely be a film set within PJ's Middle-earth. It'll just be a movie, and I think that's why the prospect is exciting.

*Only if Ken Stott returns, mind.

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Dec 17 2014, 7:14pm)

Lissuin
Valinor

Dec 17 2014, 8:08pm

Post #9 of 46 (4959 views)
Shortcut
Aragorn: Ranger to King [In reply to] Can't Post

That's what I want to see. Though, I suppose, it would mean lots more sword fights and beheadings. Frown Still.....
And then a nice happy film about Tom Bombadil, Ents, singing elves and magic forests, please. Smile

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Dec 17 2014, 9:27pm

Post #10 of 46 (4928 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree with pretty much everything you said. It would be exciting to see a bridge movie of some kind that wouldn't have to be compared to the books as much, if at all.

I don't know how interested I'd be in a retaking Moria movie but there's lots of other appendices material I'd love to see put on film. Heck, there's a part of me, in my wildest dreams anyway, that thinks it would be fun to become a filmmaker and do it myself! Maybe it can be my retirement job if/when I ever get tired of teaching.Smile

"The skies don't seem to be as dark as usual
The stars seem brighter than they've been before
And deep within I feel my soul is stirring
As though my hope has been restored.

The shepherds say they've heard the voice of angels
Confirming rumors spread across the land
That a child protected well from Herod's anger
Is our Father's Son and the Son of Man.

Love is raining down on the world tonight
There's a presence here I can tell
God is in us, God is for us, God is with us, Emanuel."
~Amy Grant "God is With Us"

Brethil
Half-elven

Dec 17 2014, 10:24pm

Post #11 of 46 (4940 views)
Shortcut
No Sil filming at all? Even in installs versus a single film? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Especially if it was a standalone bridge movie or retaking of Moria movie*. I never want The Silmarillion made into a movie.

If there is another movie, at least it will be the first time to be (almost completely) detached from Tolkien's works. We won't need to judge or review it as an adaptation, as it it will be a complete fabrication based on very short book references. It will purely be a film set within PJ's Middle-earth. It'll just be a movie, and I think that's why the prospect is exciting.

*Only if Ken Stott returns, mind.

And I second the Ken Stott casting nom. Smile

Ardamírë
Valinor

Dec 18 2014, 3:00am

Post #12 of 46 (4929 views)
Shortcut
Beren and Luthien could be a phenomenal film.. [In reply to] Can't Post

After seeing the gorgeous shots of Galadriel walking amidst Dol Guldur, I soooooo want to see Luthien (with Huan) glide into Tol-in-Gaurhoth, overpower Sauron, and deliver Beren. Heart

Please make it happen lol

Brethil
Half-elven

Dec 18 2014, 3:50am

Post #13 of 46 (4914 views)
Shortcut
Exactly!!! - there are parts that I would just love to see in film [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Beren and Luthien could be a phenomenal film...After seeing the gorgeous shots of Galadriel walking amidst Dol Guldur, I soooooo want to see Luthien (with Huan) glide into Tol-in-Gaurhoth, overpower Sauron, and deliver Beren. Heart

Please make it happen lol

I'm not sure how cohesive my thoughts are; but things like Feanor defying the Valar, Fingolfin challenging Morgoth, Beren and Luthien's story - things I would dearly love to see crafted in film one day.

*goosebumps* on your scene description!

(This post was edited by Brethil on Dec 18 2014, 3:50am)

Cirashala
Valinor

Dec 18 2014, 7:56am

Post #14 of 46 (4925 views)
Shortcut
Ones I can see being made [In reply to] Can't Post

The Seven Year war of dwarves and orcs would be epic (not enough stuff out there with dwarves, I don't think).

The Children of Hurin

The Lay of Lethian

Aragorn and Arwen's story

It's also possible that the Lay of Nimrodel could be adapted, though it would have to be short

The Fall of Numenor

The Battle of Unnumbered Tears (though this would likely end up in the COH).

The Rebellion of the Noldor (including the Silmarils and Feanor)

I for one would love to see the Aininundale (sp?) on screen, but that would be awfully short

The War in the North (LOTR battle in Dale)

The Battle of the Last Alliance (along with Sauron's first uprising) including the forging of the rings of power and Celebrimbor (and we could even see Moria at its heyday).

The Hunt for Gollum can be done with PJ at the helm (I say this because it, like Arathorn's story, has already been made into fan films).

Also, I would LOVE to see a film about the Exiles of Erebor after it fell- closing that gap between the fall of the Mountain by Smaug to just before the beginning of the Quest of Erebor (we'd also get to see baby Fili and Kili, which would be worth every penny I think (especially Thorin's reactions when Dis is in labor lol) And we'd see their father too).

We could also have an "epilogue" sort of film chronicling the Adventures of Legolas and Gimli (meaning their travels post- War of the Ring and subsequent founding of their new kingdoms/colonies).

Wow...we do have a lot of options! But none of them would work well as a trilogy, or even a two film setup....they'd all have to be stand alone films.

EDIT- anything surrounding the Silmarils as a central theme could probably go together....

(This post was edited by Cirashala on Dec 18 2014, 7:57am)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 18 2014, 10:46am

Post #15 of 46 (4889 views)
Shortcut
Hey! I'm happy [In reply to] Can't Post

just to hear that Peter's up for it in the future and feels protective of how the potential films would be done :) That makes me VERY HAPPY! :D

The appendices are rich with stories... so never say never :)

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - May 15, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 18 2014, 11:00am

Post #16 of 46 (4901 views)
Shortcut
Unfortunately not. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm a "purist" when it comes to The Silmarillion. It is more dear to me than LOTR or TH. I can live with changes to Faramir, or the addition of Tauriel; I wouldn't be happy with The Silmarillion being hacked apart. Unsure That's the one part of Tolkien's creation that I want my imagination to explore.

That's why I'm open to any additional Third Age movie.

Eruwestial37
Rohan

Dec 18 2014, 11:30am

Post #17 of 46 (4870 views)
Shortcut
That's exactly what I thought [In reply to] Can't Post

When Thranduil suggested Legolas seek out Strider, I nearly wept. That would be my choice of a bridge film. Adding Moria with the actors playing Ori and Balin included would be icing on the cake. It's wonderful to hear all this positive talk. I want to go back to Middle Earth with PJ!

Eruwestial37
Rohan

Dec 18 2014, 11:33am

Post #18 of 46 (4861 views)
Shortcut
Yes please. To all of it!// [In reply to] Can't Post

macfalk
Valinor

Dec 18 2014, 12:11pm

Post #19 of 46 (4864 views)
Shortcut
Hmm [In reply to] Can't Post

I mean, I would definitely go to see a bridge film or whatever PJ would come up with.... but would the masses? I doubt it. LOTR and TH made huge amounts of money because they were based upon very popular books. Sure, with a bridge film they now have a built-in audience, but I don't think it would have the draw as movies based upon books have.

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

DigificWriter
Lorien

Dec 18 2014, 9:02pm

Post #20 of 46 (4852 views)
Shortcut
Jackson's original "bridge film" concept(s) [In reply to] Can't Post

Having enjoyed all six films in Jackson's Middle-earth Saga so far, getting to see more from him on that subject would be very much welcomed.

I do have a question, though, about whether or not we know anything concrete about what more ME-based films might be about given the legal inaccessibility of much of the remainder of Tolkien's works, particularly the "bridge film" concept ideas that Jackson was originally talking about doing as the second part of the Hobbit project before del Toro took over and helped craft the story of that novel into what was originally the Hobbit duology.

imin
Valinor

Dec 18 2014, 10:29pm

Post #21 of 46 (4842 views)
Shortcut
Oh please no! [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope so so so much this is not going to come true! Worst news i have heard all week!

Please PJ, move on to something else, leave Tolkien's work and make something else.

For all of them i hope it is not The Silmarillion - i am positive C. Tolkien would not sell the rights but he is an elderly man now and who knows what will happen when he passes...Worrying times! FrownUnsureFrown

All posts are to be taken as my opinion.

Brethil
Half-elven

Dec 18 2014, 11:11pm

Post #22 of 46 (4824 views)
Shortcut
Understood with affection and respect m'dear! // [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I'm a "purist" when it comes to The Silmarillion. It is more dear to me than LOTR or TH. I can live with changes to Faramir, or the addition of Tauriel; I wouldn't be happy with The Silmarillion being hacked apart. Unsure That's the one part of Tolkien's creation that I want my imagination to explore.

That's why I'm open to any additional Third Age movie.

macfalk
Valinor

Dec 18 2014, 11:54pm

Post #23 of 46 (4841 views)
Shortcut
I don't get what is so horrifying [In reply to] Can't Post

Even if the movie would not be any good, it does not in any way "sully" the source material. Have you ever heard George RR Martin trashtalk the producers of Game of Thrones? Or JK Rowling badmouthing the HP writers? No, because unlike Christopher Tolkien, they have manners and knows that it is ill taste to bash the artist adapting their work (or in CT's case, his father's).

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

(This post was edited by macfalk on Dec 18 2014, 11:56pm)

L. Ron Halfelven
Grey Havens

Dec 19 2014, 3:29am

Post #24 of 46 (4794 views)
Shortcut
We need to start a rumor that Kim Jong-un gets killed by orcs in the bridge film.// [In reply to] Can't Post

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 19 2014, 7:09am

Post #25 of 46 (4790 views)
Shortcut
Unless a group from TORn made it, of course! [In reply to] Can't Post

Understood with affection and respect m'dear!

Then I know it would be in good hands. I reckon we could make a pretty good job of it. Wink

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.