The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Eagles handled nicely

Scourge of the Stoors
Rivendell

Dec 17 2014, 8:47am

Post #1 of 9 (728 views)
Shortcut
Eagles handled nicely Can't Post

Good to see they weren't the euphoria bringers they are in most of their appearances. Instead of relief at their arrival, as Bilbo cries over Thorin's corpse, we as an audience are invited to feel emptiness. I love it.

Saneliur
Bree

Dec 17 2014, 9:35am

Post #2 of 9 (394 views)
Shortcut
Thinking in retrospect [In reply to] Can't Post

You are right. However during the movie, I couldn't be feeling more miserable and dead inside.
But like you said, it's beautiful in a terrible way.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Dec 17 2014, 9:45am

Post #3 of 9 (377 views)
Shortcut
Surely there will be aleast a Minute More [In reply to] Can't Post

in the EE, showing
Them & Beorn & Radagast
Turning the
Tide...

Crazy

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

Mr. Arkenstone (isaac)
Tol Eressea

Dec 17 2014, 10:29am

Post #4 of 9 (328 views)
Shortcut
Definetly [In reply to] Can't Post

The flagon with the dragon has the brew that is true

Survivor to the battle for the fifth trailer

FlyingSerkis
Rivendell

Dec 17 2014, 11:27am

Post #5 of 9 (290 views)
Shortcut
Maybe [In reply to] Can't Post

But I was left wondering: why did the eagles go for the pikemen? Attacking soldiers on the ground is not really an eagly thing to do anyway, and when they're holding all of those big long sharp sticks pointing up in the air...Crazy

Then Manwė and Yavanna parted for that time, and Yavanna returned to Aulė; and he was in his smithy, pouring molten metal into a mould. 'Eru is bountiful,' she said. 'Now let thy children beware! For there shall walk a power in the forests whose wrath they will arouse at their peril.'

'Nonetheless they will have need of wood,' said Aulė, and he went on with his smith-work.

Shagrat
Gondor

Dec 17 2014, 12:34pm

Post #6 of 9 (249 views)
Shortcut
We need more [In reply to] Can't Post

of the Eagles and Beorn. I suspect the whole arch of Nature was cut due the decision of trimming Beorn and Radagast related material from the front end of the film.

Their arrival felt painfully short and I thought it was poorly handled. I see it more as Jackson giving us a glimpse and saying 'Don't worry, we haven't forgotten they will get their time to shine in the extended edition' type of thing.

FlyingSerkis
Rivendell

Dec 17 2014, 12:44pm

Post #7 of 9 (227 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't really get any sense that the battle had ended one way or another. But I expect that will be dealt with more in the EE, particularly regarding the impact of the Eagles/Beorn.

Then Manwė and Yavanna parted for that time, and Yavanna returned to Aulė; and he was in his smithy, pouring molten metal into a mould. 'Eru is bountiful,' she said. 'Now let thy children beware! For there shall walk a power in the forests whose wrath they will arouse at their peril.'

'Nonetheless they will have need of wood,' said Aulė, and he went on with his smith-work.

Cirashala
Valinor

Dec 18 2014, 1:00am

Post #8 of 9 (100 views)
Shortcut
turning the tide [In reply to] Can't Post

If you look in the background as the survivors kneel around the fallen (whether it be Tauriel, or the company around Thorin, etc- I cannot remember for sure) but you clearly see the Gundabad army being split and decimated and breaking apart.

I believe it's when you get a clear view of the eagles vs bats, come to think of it....

I definitely think the insinuation of them turning the tide is still there, even if the glimpse was very brief....though I do hope there's more in the EE Cool

FrogmortonJustice65
Lorien

Dec 18 2014, 3:54am

Post #9 of 9 (85 views)
Shortcut
I imagine the scene where Radagast rescues Gandalf will be expanded. [In reply to] Can't Post

Perhaps Gandalf will order Radagast to seek out Beorn, and we will see some Radagast/Beorn interactions.

photo cbccab4e-f61e-4be5-aaa1-20e302430c7c.jpg

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.