The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
And just for the record

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Dec 16 2014, 6:54am

Post #1 of 14 (641 views)
Shortcut
And just for the record Can't Post

Anyone that think this film was NOT Bilbo centric was asleep. just sayin...I loved Bilbo in this film and it was most definitely THE HOBBIT.

Thank you for your questions, now go sod off and do something useful - Martin Freeman Twitter chat 3/1/13

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Dec 16 2014, 7:39am

Post #2 of 14 (299 views)
Shortcut
So glad to read this... [In reply to] Can't Post

I haven't seen the film yet, but have gobbled every spoiler I could, and my own overall conclusion was also that it seemed to be quite genuinely Bilbo centered, particularly in all the moments when it should be. Wink

'Is everything sad going to come untrue?'
(Sam, 'The Field of Cormallen', in 'The Return of the King'.)

Old Toby
Grey Havens

Dec 16 2014, 8:51am

Post #3 of 14 (286 views)
Shortcut
I just saw it tonight for the first time [In reply to] Can't Post

and it was Marathon Monday! So I got to watch the first two films in the big screen again right before the BOTFA! What a joy!

But yes, I agree with you. Those who are afraid Bilbo would take a back seat in this film needn't fear. He is definitely the star of the show. And man, that last scene with him and Thorin....get out the tissues already! I loved this film the best of the three! Plan to see it again when it opens here officially on the 17th!!!
Smile

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

dormouse
Half-elven

Dec 16 2014, 9:21am

Post #4 of 14 (245 views)
Shortcut
Agreed! [In reply to] Can't Post

Everything revolved around him and his relationship with Thorin, as it should. And there were so many outstanding moments. I loved that scene after the battle when he and Gandalf just sit together in silence. It says so much.

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Dec 16 2014, 1:32pm

Post #5 of 14 (169 views)
Shortcut
Yes, that silence [In reply to] Can't Post

It reminded me of Mr. Rogers. For those who don't know who he was, he was a children's TV show host on US Public TV (Look up Mr. Roger's Neighborhood) who had a gentle way of talking to children and making them feel special and wanted. He had a way of using silence that made the TV executives squirm.

I've already heard some people complain bout that silence between Bilbo and Gandalf, but it was needed, very much needed at that point in time.

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

adt100
Rohan

Dec 16 2014, 1:33pm

Post #6 of 14 (160 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, I think Bilbo makes a very good account for himself. [In reply to] Can't Post

Certainly more so that in these chapters of the book! His scenes in Erebor with Thorin and in dealing with Thranduil, Bard and Gandalf were particular strong imho.

adt100
Rohan

Dec 16 2014, 1:36pm

Post #7 of 14 (158 views)
Shortcut
I liked the silence, but........ [In reply to] Can't Post

NOT the bit with Gandalf trying to light his pipe for so long! Reminded me of the ROTK EE scene with Gandalf's coughing fit in Minas Tirith... the deep breath before the plunge.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Dec 16 2014, 2:08pm

Post #8 of 14 (144 views)
Shortcut
Powerful Silence = Powerful Thoughts [In reply to] Can't Post

No sound, No music

A Meditation
..on what has just proceeded..
Battle Weary, Emotionally DRAINED...
POST WAR SHOCK?
Allowed the vast audience to contemplate,
the LARGER issues of their own personal struggles.

Sorta of, like the Enviable? ... heart-breaking moment
YOU KNOW is coming..
whenever someone close to you
dies in YOUR Life.

THIS Huge Movie does concentrate on
"The COST of WAR,
Disappointment; the TOTAL Failure of the Line of
Durin.."
That is ONE of the Finest thing PJ does SSOoo. well.

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

tsmith675
Gondor

Dec 16 2014, 2:11pm

Post #9 of 14 (157 views)
Shortcut
Definitely! And actually... [In reply to] Can't Post

It focused on him more than I was expecting. I was pleasantly surprised.

mirkwoodwanderer
Lorien

Dec 16 2014, 2:15pm

Post #10 of 14 (146 views)
Shortcut
THe pipe [In reply to] Can't Post

The fact that he could not light his pipe.. was very very emotional.

Normally he can make a boat with his smoke, now he could not even get the pipe on.

One of the moments in the film without words, but soo much strength.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Dec 16 2014, 2:22pm

Post #11 of 14 (144 views)
Shortcut
Laughing NOW? [In reply to] Can't Post

bom kinda thought Bilbo would ask him?

"Got any More Old Toby...I need a Smoke too?"

Maybe in the EE???

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

Elessar
Valinor

Dec 16 2014, 2:33pm

Post #12 of 14 (138 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

Bilbo is front and center in this one, IMO.

adt100
Rohan

Dec 16 2014, 2:36pm

Post #13 of 14 (135 views)
Shortcut
I agree, BUT I think it went on a bit long.... [In reply to] Can't Post

In point of fact, in all 3 viewings I've been to it caused a chuckle of laughter from a small number of people. The tone for me wasn't quite right.... Gandalf needed to stop scraping away at his pipe a little sooner imho.

Old Toby
Grey Havens

Dec 16 2014, 3:10pm

Post #14 of 14 (125 views)
Shortcut
I agree with you on this moment [In reply to] Can't Post

It was a good scene, but in the wrong place. It was right after all those very emotional, exhausting deaths, and although perhaps the intent was to lighten the mood, still, I felt it wasn't the time to do that with comedy. And yeah, in the theater I was in, filled with fans, there was laughter then too.

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.