The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Question for BOTFA early viewers

Faramir5
Bree

Dec 15 2014, 9:15pm

Post #1 of 16 (623 views)
Shortcut
Question for BOTFA early viewers Can't Post

Many of the trailers and TV Spots make it seem like it will not only be super epic, but also incredibly emotional.

-Tauriel often looks desperate
-Kili giving his stone to Tauriel
-The people of Laketown lose their homes
-Intimate moment between Galadriel and a wounded Gandalf
-Tension between Kili and Thorin
-When Bilbo shows courage and boldness for his friends

For those of you that have seen the movie already, is it truly as emotional as the trailers make it out to seem?

If so -
1. Is the acting good? Do the emotions seem genuine and not fake?
2. How well does the music back up the emotions?

Crunchable Birdses
Rohan

Dec 15 2014, 9:24pm

Post #2 of 16 (370 views)
Shortcut
my impressions [In reply to] Can't Post

1) Yes. Only one of the three films where I had *the feels*
2) Ehhh...the music is used better than in DoS, but it's still not at the level of LotR.

* crunch *

Fleuz
Lorien

Dec 15 2014, 9:24pm

Post #3 of 16 (344 views)
Shortcut
Let's see [In reply to] Can't Post

The acting is in the most of these scenes wonderful.
It never feels out of place.
The music does the job well. But isn't as good as in LOTR. It's more quiet in relation to SoundFX and Vocals. And you notice the lack of real intense themes like in the original trilogy. But it's good. The acting does its job.

SafeUnderHill
Rohan

Dec 15 2014, 9:47pm

Post #4 of 16 (299 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

1. The acting is superb, and the film is full of powerful emotional moments

2. The music is really enjoyable if you've been following Shore's hobbit scores. The best part of this score is the emotional parts, that play well in the film. Particularly the emotional/closure music towards the end of the film is exquisite.

Arannir
Valinor

Dec 15 2014, 9:58pm

Post #5 of 16 (302 views)
Shortcut
Tauriel [In reply to] Can't Post

Tauriel is played very well and her pain feels genuine and sometimes hard to watch (in a good way). Will depend on whether you can buy the romance. But the acting is there, definitely. And in my screenings many people did cry here.

The most emotional is Martin Freeman's Bilbo crying over Thorin .

This is heartbreaking IMHO.

I also found Fili's death to be a shocker and well played. It is this moment you just think "looking back at Bag-end, this quest went so wrong". Hard stuff.

All in all the movie is not half as emotional as RotK, though. It doesn't need to be... Could have been a little bit more so, though.

The !music is not always delivering 100% IMHO.

Link to my 8.5/10 BotFA Review

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

(This post was edited by Arannir on Dec 15 2014, 10:00pm)

Faramir5
Bree

Dec 15 2014, 10:03pm

Post #6 of 16 (283 views)
Shortcut
Wow! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's good to hear that the emotional stakes are high and that the acting is superb! I'm very excited to watch Thorin and Kili's death, and also Bilbo and Tauriel's response to them!

macfalk
Valinor

Dec 15 2014, 10:09pm

Post #7 of 16 (262 views)
Shortcut
Yes on both [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't get why some people think the music is inferior to LOTR. I think it's just as good to be honest.

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

benalf

Dec 15 2014, 10:15pm

Post #8 of 16 (266 views)
Shortcut
I'm afraid I didn't find it emotional ... at all ! [In reply to] Can't Post

Ok; different sound here.

I found most of the character oriented scenes totally out of place. Tauriel and Kili was just about as believable and touching as Anakin and padme.
Actors have tears in their eyes, characters talk about love and friendship, but it sounds rather forced and cliché to me (just my humble opinion, folks).
Show, don't tell. Well, in BOFTA, characters talk a lot but show nutin'.
That said, action scenes are even worse.

As for the deaths of major characters, it comes after so much 'over-the-top' action and never ending, boring fights that it's hard to feel anything.

I own every other five movie of the 'saga', TE and EE. Watched'em a lot. But this one, ... I don't understand what peter was thinking.

benalf

Dec 15 2014, 10:26pm

Post #9 of 16 (245 views)
Shortcut
... [In reply to] Can't Post

I laughed out loud a few times. I mean, Thorin going down is just horribly cheesy, and when he finally comes back to reason, my god, that scene is even worse. The tension between him and kili is a joke to me. Kili is a joke.

The acting never got a chance to shine : the dialogues, the editing, ... this movie was doomed from the start. I'm really disapointed. DOS let me expect much more. Big let down.

dormouse
Half-elven

Dec 15 2014, 10:28pm

Post #10 of 16 (231 views)
Shortcut
Yes on all counts from me [In reply to] Can't Post

The acting is superb and the emotion pitched to perfection. I was swallowing back tears within the first few minutes and I don't normally cry in films.

For me the music backs up and enhances the emotion - it's essential, I think. Music takes us to places where pictures alone don't go.

But having said that, I'm hoping I'm not putting stumbling blocks in the way of your own experience. For what it's worth, I reckon it's always best to go in without any fixed expectations. Forget what anyone tells you, just be as blank a canvas as you can and lose yourself in the film.

macfalk
Valinor

Dec 15 2014, 10:29pm

Post #11 of 16 (235 views)
Shortcut
I thought that scene was very good. [In reply to] Can't Post

When he tells Kili that they are the sons of Durin and will not run from a fight. To each his own, I guess.

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

Angharad73
Rohan

Dec 15 2014, 10:41pm

Post #12 of 16 (213 views)
Shortcut
It is... [In reply to] Can't Post

...rather emotional, but not as much as I expected it to be, to be entirely honest. For me, there were emotional moments but then things happened that jerked me out of them. So it wasn't the cry fest I thought it would be. The acting throughout is superb, though.

What hit me hardest was Fili's death, actually. That freaked me out even though I knew pretty much what was going to happen. Kili's death was a tad too cliched for me to have that much of emotional impact - seen that sort of thing before... But Thorin and Bilbo at the end, that was something else! That was a two-tissue moment. Unsure

Roheryn
Tol Eressea

Dec 15 2014, 11:18pm

Post #13 of 16 (183 views)
Shortcut
In a word, yes. [In reply to] Can't Post

I've found the emotional impact to be gut-level heart-wrenching, in a way I never felt with any of the other five movies, even ROTK. I really don't cry at movies; Steel Magnolias brings a few tears but that's about it. But by the end of BotFA, tears were streaming. There's a lot going on, and a lot to process emotionally. The most moving scene is the last words of Bilbo with Thorin; I can't imagine anyone watching that with dry eyes.

The acting is superb. Richard Armitage is flawless, even better than flawless if that's possible. Martin Freeman nails his performance beautifully, as do Lee Pace, Luke Evans, Ken Stott, Ian McKellan...really, I think all the actors have outperformed themselves. Just brilliant.

I've seen it three times now and get so caught up in the emotions that I forget to think about the music. I was determined last time to pay attention to it, but I forgot. Is that a mark of successful music, when it's woven so seamlessly into the story that you don't notice it? Maybe. I do have to say that, as with DOS, I missed hearing the Misty Mountain theme. That would be my only quibble.

CathrineB
Rohan

Dec 15 2014, 11:44pm

Post #14 of 16 (161 views)
Shortcut
Let's see... [In reply to] Can't Post

Some of the moments are as emotional as they seem while others maybe trying too hard? Like, when Kili died I didn't cry, but once he was dead and Tauriel mourned - that I did find emotional.

The music is really lacking. I think it would have done things so much more *everything* really if the music was better in the death scenes.
The acting I think have generally been amazing throughout the films. From the main actors to the smaller ones. Like others says, Fili's death might not be as emotional, but oh my god how shocking it is and it's very well acted. It could have been longer, but I think it works better than Kili's death because that one can be cheesy while Fili's death just really smacks you in the face. Being the first dwarf to die.

That was such a chaotic answer. Sorry!

glor
Rohan

Dec 16 2014, 2:21am

Post #15 of 16 (136 views)
Shortcut
It is emotional [In reply to] Can't Post

but in a very quiet grown up way, there is a melancholy, and elegance to the last 20 minutes or so, that captured the heart of The Hobbit.

LOTR was always about sacrifice and endurance with a victory at the end, the journey ends in glory, without glorifying war. In The Hobbit which, was written prior to WWII and after WW1, the journey, is just that but the war is pointless and about greed,and honour and there is no victory, no glory, just loss and remembrance. There is a scene which blew me away which is mostly silence, I have never really warmed to Martin Freeman's Bilbo and in that scene, i didn't just warm, I fell in love and loss.

If this was Spielberg WW2 film, the actors would be showered with praise for their performances but it isn't, this film has a very beautiful, poignant and mature ending without much joy only sorrow, the ending is some of the most Tolkienesc moments Jackson has ever put on screen.

No mascara can survive BOTFA

dubulous
Rohan

Dec 16 2014, 8:58am

Post #16 of 16 (82 views)
Shortcut
My thoughts [In reply to] Can't Post

1. The acting is mostly excellent. Only the Tauriel/Kili scenes are a bit soap-opera-ish and feel over-acted but it could be down to poor writing.
2. Not very well, unfortunately.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.