Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Thranduil Appreciation Thread Part XXVIII
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Me85
Rivendell

Dec 14 2014, 7:17pm

Post #76 of 208 (909 views)
Shortcut
     clip [In reply to]  

Hmm to me they still look like dirt splatters. Btw in that clip when he says "no more" those dirt splatters or whatever they are are suddenly gone..

But no we dont get to see him being cut in the face or anything.

(This post was edited by Me85 on Dec 14 2014, 7:26pm)

VValar
Gondor

Dec 14 2014, 8:39pm

Post #77 of 208 (893 views)
Shortcut
     These are awesome! [In reply to]  

And the third one, that is such a cool scene with Thranduil interacting with Dain. He is just totally unimpressed and like on the partyelk just said: that smirk almost had me fainting too BlushHeartHeart

If your ears aren't pointy, you're doing it wrong.

VValar
Gondor

Dec 14 2014, 8:40pm

Post #78 of 208 (902 views)
Shortcut
     No Thranduil doesn't get injured [In reply to]  

In Reply To
Look the clip where Thranduil says to Gandalf that he will not help sending forces to Ravenhill, where Bilbo says he will go. You can see that there are some marks on his left cheekbone that certainly look like injuries. I have not yet seen the movie anyway :'(

I have seen the film twice now (Blush) and what you see on his face is clearly Orc blood.

VValar
Gondor

Dec 14 2014, 8:44pm

Post #79 of 208 (905 views)
Shortcut
     Cool fanart [In reply to]  

Clicky for bigger

VValar
Gondor

Dec 14 2014, 9:18pm

Post #80 of 208 (940 views)
Shortcut
     BOFA was cruel for making Thranduill sad :( [In reply to]  

Both Legolas/Thranduil moments
+ Tauriel scene

IMO Tauriel way overstepped her boundries. Have you ever seen (intentionally, not like in FOTR/Lorien) an Elf threaten another Elf (her King!!) in such a way? I don't think Thranduil was ever going to kill Tauriel, you know with the Kingslaying and all in Valinor I would say he's pretty against it. But to me it was such a strange and emotional scene. First of all: What was Tauriel thinking? Secondly, she gives up fairly easily once her bow is broken. Thirdly: for a Dwarf? Really?

Then Legolas steps in. He is so harsh towards his dad. Apparently in this movie Legolas has developed serious Daddy-issues. Were they already prominent in DOS? Perhaps their relationship in DOS was all very platonic but I didn't sense the hurt and sorrow those two clearly have in relation to one another. What bothers me is that this isn't explained in BOFA. Just another non-canon subplot that doesn't make sense and was imo only added to get the Tauriel love trangle going even more (legolas standing up against is father for the sake of Tauriel).

The second Legolas/Thranduil moment, it was so sad Unsure And sweet in a way. But mostly sad. Unresolved daddy issues play a big part in this scene (still not explained why) and I thought Legolas just made Thranduil so sad UnsureUnsureUnsure I was like 'Noooooooooooo why would you do that Legolas? Why do you make your daddy so sad he almost has to cry?' *sobs*

BlackFox
Half-elven

Dec 14 2014, 9:44pm

Post #81 of 208 (879 views)
Shortcut
     I wouldn't say Legolas has "daddy issues" [In reply to]  

What we witness in BOFA is him coming into his own. He becomes disillusioned with the ways of the world, renounces the isolationist views of his father and adopts a new mindset: that of an interventionist (following Tauriel's example).

(This post was edited by BlackFox on Dec 14 2014, 9:44pm)

Me85
Rivendell

Dec 14 2014, 9:58pm

Post #82 of 208 (868 views)
Shortcut
     Spoilers (agreed) [In reply to]  

I have already said this before but i got mad at Tauriel when she threatened Thranduil (yes her king who had taken her in when she was an orphan) because he wanted to leave. She actually threatened his life.Mad
There's a reason he wanted to leave. He has lived so long, suffered much more than tauriel. He just wanted to protect his people. She is naive. It annoyed me when she yelled something like "not this time!" Or "there is no love in you!" Trying to be all righteous. Pfff.

She was probably right though in trying to stop him but it was just the way she tried to do it. I feel like she kind of betrayed him by threatening his life.
That shock on his face.

And then Legolas who so easily took her side after she threatened to kill his father.

(This post was edited by Me85 on Dec 14 2014, 10:01pm)

On_the_partyelk
Lorien

Dec 14 2014, 11:43pm

Post #83 of 208 (868 views)
Shortcut
     about the first SC [In reply to]  

What is the sign Thranduil does before Legolas leaves?

I almost cried when I saw Thranduil's sad face! :'( He didn't deserve that.

The fortunes of the world will rise and fall, but here in this kingdom we will endure!

Me85
Rivendell

Dec 14 2014, 11:56pm

Post #84 of 208 (879 views)
Shortcut
     goodbye [In reply to]  

I think it must be a goodbye gesture (I think he make a little bow at the same time) cause Legolas makes the same gesture in return. Don't know if it has a deeper meaning.

On_the_partyelk
Lorien

Dec 15 2014, 12:27am

Post #85 of 208 (848 views)
Shortcut
     Ok... [In reply to]  

That's what I guessed. Thanks.

The fortunes of the world will rise and fall, but here in this kingdom we will endure!

On_the_partyelk
Lorien

Dec 15 2014, 12:40am

Post #86 of 208 (843 views)
Shortcut
     I fully agree [In reply to]  

What me shocked is the WAY she did it and what she said. She clearly overstepped her boundaris. And even if she was right to stop him (and here clearly people's opinions differ) it was not her to decide what Thranduil does. HE is the king after all, he lived long enough, experienced enough to know what is in order to do. I mean ok, from her POV sure she wants to stop him so her love gets help, but from Thranduil's POV it's only normal he says 'ok, enough is enough, I have lost already too many of us, we're going home' (loosely spoken).

And as for Legolas, IDK, he stands against his father for what? For unrequited love or because he truely thinks she is right? And no reaction from him about her aiming at his own father? A bit twisted. IMHO.

After he cut her bow she was the one looking shocked though. Maybe she relized she dared the wrong elf?

Just my two cents to the discussion.

Me85
Rivendell

Dec 15 2014, 1:03am

Post #87 of 208 (830 views)
Shortcut
     commentary [In reply to]  

It will be interesting if we get some more insight from the film makers or actors in the commentary for the EE.

mariel
Lorien

Dec 15 2014, 2:41pm

Post #88 of 208 (810 views)
Shortcut
     Link to thread discussing Thranduil's portrayal in BotFA - spoilers [In reply to]  

http://newboards.theonering.net/...=ASC;guest=126616808

mariel
Lorien

Dec 15 2014, 2:46pm

Post #89 of 208 (800 views)
Shortcut
     Another live twitter Q&A with Lee Pace today #AskThranduil [In reply to]  

https://twitter.com/...s/544328999669755905

mariel
Lorien

Dec 15 2014, 2:53pm

Post #90 of 208 (840 views)
Shortcut
     A few more from BotFA [In reply to]  

Not amazing quality yet

See also
http://leepace-talent-e-beauty.tumblr.com/...3-days-to-the-battle

(click on each photo in the blog for bigger pics)

Me85
Rivendell

Dec 15 2014, 5:41pm

Post #91 of 208 (768 views)
Shortcut
     Q&A [In reply to]  

Thanks for the links. Hopefully we'll get more interesting questions about him in the movie this time. Loved his answers to the silly questions though.

VValar
Gondor

Dec 15 2014, 7:36pm

Post #92 of 208 (780 views)
Shortcut
     Yes you're right [In reply to]  

Re:

In Reply To
What we witness in BOFA is him coming into his own. He becomes disillusioned with the ways of the world, renounces the isolationist views of his father and adopts a new mindset

However, how come it is necessary for a ??-hundred year old Elf to do this in such a blunt, hurtful and (kind of) disrespectful way? Makes me wonder what that is all about. I would think a (relatively wise) Elf like Legolas would be able to sort this all out in a more 'peaceful manner'. I mean just look at all the times he ingnores his King's orders (DOS: going along with Tauriel instead of returning to his father after the three days he was given by Thranduil to bring her back; not coming along with the messenger Elf who sends for him at the beginning of BOFA; standing against his father during the clash with Tauriel, and finally informing Thranduil he won't be going home after the battle. Not asking, merely stating. Clearly, Legolas could get away with murder as far as Thranduil's concerned. It would seem to me there are cleary some unresolved matters between those two for communicating in such a distant way.

Like we see in their last scene, they both look so awkward around each other. Until finally Thranduil decides to takes the first step and tells Legolas about how his mother loved him. Legolas looks emotional but barely seems capable of giving his father the proper goodbye and walks away midway his gesture. To me, there clearly is a story, invented by the filmmakers, that hasn't been told (yet). And I'm not sure I'm buying it.

Anyway, for relevance Wink

VValar
Gondor

Dec 15 2014, 7:48pm

Post #93 of 208 (766 views)
Shortcut
     Agree with your post [In reply to]  

Although it looked cool on screen (two Elves facing off against each other) and could be considered high entertainment value by the general public, I thought it was so out of character for BOTH of them. Of course I can think of reasons for both of them to behave in such a way, but then I would have to think along the same line of the filmmakers. Don't get me wrong, I'm obviously very grateful for them to have created the wonderful world of the Hobbit and as a result have given us the sassiest Elven King in history of Middle-Earth Heart It's just I don't like their created Elven subplot(s) to begin with. Thranduil imo would not very likely threaten another Elf's life, same goes for the (ex) captain of the guard. Is she really trying to convince him to save a few Dwarves she happens to be very fond of by threatening to take his life? How would that work out she would have reasoned? Surely she knows her King well enough to be able to estimate the kind of reaction she would envoke Crazy Furthermore, the Tauriel-Kili love imo would not ever have happend in the Tolkien world, and the mentioning of Legolas' mother and the way she died (imo it's best to leave the 'unknown' and not try to invent ANOTHER subplot around it) is debatable. But maybe it's just me.... Angelic I like a lot of stuff too! But these are just some of the things I have serious questions about.

VValar
Gondor

Dec 15 2014, 7:50pm

Post #94 of 208 (801 views)
Shortcut
     Goodbye gesture [In reply to]  

It's like me85 said: I believe it's a general goodbye gesture. F.e. you see Aragorn and Legolas making that same gesture in FOTR to Elrond when they set out from Rivendell with the Fellowship.

VValar
Gondor

Dec 15 2014, 7:52pm

Post #95 of 208 (776 views)
Shortcut
     *sobs* [In reply to]  

Oh so sad UnsureUnsure

Also

nearly broke my heart HeartHeartUnsure

VValar
Gondor

Dec 15 2014, 7:54pm

Post #96 of 208 (806 views)
Shortcut
     A gif of Thranduil being heartbroken [In reply to]  

Ohhwwwwww UnsureUnsureUnsureUnsureUnsureUnsureUnsureUnsureUnsureUnsure Come here you and I'll give you a good hug HeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeartHeart

VValar
Gondor

Dec 15 2014, 7:54pm

Post #97 of 208 (750 views)
Shortcut
     Cool #AskThranduil [In reply to]  

Lurker informed me as well there would be another round of #AskThranduil on twitter.

Will you be asking any questions?

mariel
Lorien

Dec 15 2014, 7:58pm

Post #98 of 208 (756 views)
Shortcut
     Looks like I'll need a whole box of tissues [In reply to]  

UnsureUnsureUnsure

VValar
Gondor

Dec 15 2014, 8:00pm

Post #99 of 208 (823 views)
Shortcut
     I'm going full on spoilery here [In reply to]  

But seeing as all those who wish to remain un-spoiled have temporarely left TA, I guess it's save to let my spoilery nature take full control and post one of the coolest, sassiest and funniest moments in BOFA which of course had Heartour Elven KingHeart it it.

Do you remember this:

http://38.media.tumblr.com/...TBV1qizt8ro1_400.gif

http://38.media.tumblr.com/...TBV1qizt8ro2_400.gif

LaughLaughLaughLaugh

And was it just me or did Thranduil only made a drink for Bard and himself, not offering and to Gandalf?

mariel
Lorien

Dec 15 2014, 8:00pm

Post #100 of 208 (766 views)
Shortcut
     No. You? [In reply to]  

I'm not good on twitter. I suspect there will be far more questions than he will be able to answer in the time.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.