The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
HFR...yay or nay?!

Misty Mountain Hop
Rivendell

Dec 15 2014, 4:25pm

Post #1 of 19 (931 views)
Shortcut
HFR...yay or nay?! Can't Post

The title pretty much speaks for itself.

What did you think of the High Frame Rate? Good? Bad?

Will you see it? Have you seen it?

Better than AUJ and DOS? Worse? Same?

"Only, you've never done a hard day's work." - Merry

BlackFox
Half-elven

Dec 15 2014, 4:40pm

Post #2 of 19 (616 views)
Shortcut
Yay [In reply to] Can't Post

I've seen BOFA twice, both times in HFR. And while I'm still not a big fan of 3D, I prefer HFR 3D to the regular 24fps 3D, in which I saw both AUJ and DOS.

(This post was edited by BlackFox on Dec 15 2014, 4:43pm)

AshNazg
Gondor

Dec 15 2014, 4:52pm

Post #3 of 19 (617 views)
Shortcut
My friend spent £40 on tickets... [In reply to] Can't Post

And travelled 57 miles to the closest cinema that provides HFR.

She took her dad and sister after I recommended the format. After the viewing she sent me this text -

We waited for 35mins for the movie to start until someone complained. The projectionist came in and apologised explaining that he forgot to press play. The film then started and not only was it not in HFR, but they also left the lights on throughout the movie.

Unfortunately, I live in an area where it's incredibly difficult and expensive to have a good cinema experience. At my viewing there were only three people in the theatre and the sound was cracking and the film was very scratched. But it's the best cinema we have here, so most people prefer to download or wait for the DVD where I live. Wish I lived in a city!

(This post was edited by AshNazg on Dec 15 2014, 4:54pm)

Dipling
Lorien

Dec 15 2014, 4:53pm

Post #4 of 19 (606 views)
Shortcut
BOFA [In reply to] Can't Post

I have seen it in normal 3D.
And that didn't look good. Too much blur.

On saturday we are deciding between 2D or 3D HFR. My friends want to see it in HFR. But i'm not very fond of it. As it was said. It is great for vistas, but not for closeups and drama (in my eyes).

I watched AUJ and DOS in 3D HFR.

Misty Mountain Hop
Rivendell

Dec 15 2014, 4:58pm

Post #5 of 19 (567 views)
Shortcut
That's how I felt with AUJ in HFR... [In reply to] Can't Post

Frodo getting the mail in the beginning and the dwarves on the horses looked magnificent!

But the interior of Bag End looked pretty bad...and anything on sets.

macfalk
Valinor

Dec 15 2014, 4:58pm

Post #6 of 19 (540 views)
Shortcut
Wow. That sounds like a very amateurish cinema company // [In reply to] Can't Post

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

adt100
Rohan

Dec 15 2014, 5:02pm

Post #7 of 19 (568 views)
Shortcut
The thing is, I find ANY structures/interiors in HFR to look jarring.... [In reply to] Can't Post

This is just the technology though in my experience. However detailed and of high quality the sets are (and we all KNOW how much care and attention and skill is into these, it really is incredible) the effect will still look 'odd' to many. But I believe this is the case even if a structure isn't a 'set' but actual 'solid' items.

deskp
Lorien

Dec 15 2014, 5:07pm

Post #8 of 19 (554 views)
Shortcut
Yay [In reply to] Can't Post

its great, 3d isn't good without it I think.

(This post was edited by Altaira on Dec 15 2014, 5:43pm)

Greypilgrim
Bree

Dec 15 2014, 5:33pm

Post #9 of 19 (558 views)
Shortcut
James Cameron [In reply to] Can't Post

.......what he says about 60fps in the interview in Peter Jackson's guest edited Empire magazine seems to make more sense to me. He only intends to use it at points in the films he is making that would benefit from it i.e. vistas and to eradicate motion blur in fast sequences. Not in simple dramatic scenes where it can make it look far too TV like and take you out of the fantasy of the movie for that reason.

I think PJ missed a trick in using it all the time- he could have taken the same approach as J.Cameron and it would have been better in my opinion.

(This post was edited by Greypilgrim on Dec 15 2014, 5:45pm)

Bombadil
Half-elven

Dec 15 2014, 5:35pm

Post #10 of 19 (519 views)
Shortcut
OPINION: 13 Thumbs UP!...to HFR [In reply to] Can't Post

About 5 days before seeing the First film in HFR
sat through 13 hours of LOTR, which was really HARD...

But, @ the Midnight screening of AUJ in the same Theater?
was like the difference between looking @ a YouTube video
@ 360p verses 1080p HD

Try it..Look @ a trailer..& switch during your viewing..
YOU will see the difference.

THAT is about the
best way,
bomby can describe it.

Cool

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

Misty Mountain Hop
Rivendell

Dec 15 2014, 5:35pm

Post #11 of 19 (520 views)
Shortcut
Wow....didn't think that was possible! [In reply to] Can't Post

That seems to make total sense.

He should have taken that approach.....

deskp
Lorien

Dec 15 2014, 5:52pm

Post #12 of 19 (502 views)
Shortcut
nah [In reply to] Can't Post

Once people get used to it in movies it will stop "looking like tv"

And then the hobbit is already fully compatible with the future, not some patchwork of framerate changes.

AshNazg
Gondor

Dec 15 2014, 6:03pm

Post #13 of 19 (502 views)
Shortcut
James Cameron has since announced [In reply to] Can't Post

That he'll shoot his movies entirely in 48fps. So something is clearly wrong with that logic. I think 48 is easier to convert into 24 than 60. I can't think of any other reason he'd make that decision, unless it's just too expensive.

Greypilgrim
Bree

Dec 15 2014, 6:22pm

Post #14 of 19 (461 views)
Shortcut
Ah [In reply to] Can't Post

There we are then!!!

VValar
Gondor

Dec 15 2014, 9:34pm

Post #15 of 19 (377 views)
Shortcut
HFR in IMAX definite Yay! for me [In reply to] Can't Post

If your ears aren't pointy, you're doing it wrong.

xxxyyy
Rohan

Dec 15 2014, 11:44pm

Post #16 of 19 (336 views)
Shortcut
nay. it just breaks the suspension of disbelief for me // [In reply to] Can't Post

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 16 2014, 2:23am

Post #17 of 19 (334 views)
Shortcut
Yay. I love it. [In reply to] Can't Post

Though, as I've said before, it does seem to depend a lot on the technical end of things. I live in an area where I've had the chance to see it that way in two different theaters, and the look was much better in one than the other. I assume that must have something to do with the setup, or calibration, or something.

I saw a preview of BOTFA in regular 3D. I'll be seeing it in HFR tomorrow and I can't wait.

Silverlode

Want a LOTR Anniversary footer of your own? Get one here!

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dûm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

cats16
Half-elven

Dec 16 2014, 5:30am

Post #18 of 19 (301 views)
Shortcut
Yay. [In reply to] Can't Post

The marathon was a great way to quickly become familiar with the aesthetic of HFR, after a year without experiencing it. I think once the AUJ prologue ends, I've already forgotten that HFR is 'different' from normal.

I can't say whether it is better or worse, as it's entirely subjective based on your relation to the format. But I personally thought it was very well done.

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

ghost_matt
Rivendell

Dec 16 2014, 6:06am

Post #19 of 19 (297 views)
Shortcut
I really like HFR [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought it looked really nice and was looking forward to seeing BOTFA in HFR. Unfortunately the only theater around here remodeled in the last year and will not be showing BOTFA in HFR. They also didn't show AUJ in HFR so my wife and I made a special 45 minute drive to see it somewhere that did. I thought about driving out to that same theater for this movie but my wife doesn't sound too excited about it... (She's just not as big of a Hobbit fan and doesn't think HFR looks any different.)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.