Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
So what happened to the ... (massive spoilers)

LoremIpsum
Lorien

Dec 15 2014, 2:47pm

Post #1 of 10 (1325 views)
Shortcut
So what happened to the ... (massive spoilers) Can't Post

...acorn at the end?

I was wondering why such a pivotal image didn't return at the end of the movie?

Did Bilbo plant the seed? - I think there was already an oak on top of Bag End in AUJ so that's not it. Correct me if I'm wrong.

What if Bilbo leaves the acorn with Thorin in the (cut from the TE) funeral scene after Bard places the Arkenstone on his chest. Would make such a great symbolic scene. And would mirror Tauriel giving Kili the rune stone back after he was dead.

Or is this completely bonkers?

- SPOILERS EDITED OUT OF SUBJECT LINE -

(This post was edited by Altaira on Dec 15 2014, 5:05pm)

dormouse
Half-elven

Dec 15 2014, 2:56pm

Post #2 of 10 (648 views)
Shortcut
No, it's not bonkers... [In reply to] Can't Post

No idea if it will happen in the EE, but I'd love to see a funeral scene. Bard returns the Arkenstone; Thranduil gives Orcrist and your idea of Bilbo and the acorn would fit perfectly. Loose threads gently tied.

I like it! I shall imagine it even if they don't show it to us

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Dec 15 2014, 3:01pm

Post #3 of 10 (552 views)
Shortcut
Love the idea... [In reply to] Can't Post

Not sure if it'll happen, but it would be nice to see Bard give the Arkenstone, Thranduil give Orcrist and Bilbo give the acorn. Wouldn't it also be nice if Gandalf could give him something from Thrain? What if Gandalf doesn't get to tell Thorin Thrain's words (from DoS EE). And finally says them at the funeral. I think that would probably break me. Frown

(This post was edited by QuackingTroll on Dec 15 2014, 3:04pm)

TheHutt
Gondor

Dec 15 2014, 3:30pm

Post #4 of 10 (572 views)
Shortcut
I have read somewhere... [In reply to] Can't Post

...that Bilbo plants the acorn in Dale instead of taking it to Bag-End, so that it symbolizes the rebuilding of the city (and a bit of a parallel to LOTR's replanting of the White Tree from the book).

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Booklet - Custom Booklet Project

(This post was edited by TheHutt on Dec 15 2014, 3:31pm)

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 15 2014, 3:50pm

Post #5 of 10 (497 views)
Shortcut
I think it would fit nicely, especially as Thorin is named ... [In reply to] Can't Post

Oakenshield.

dormouse
Half-elven

Dec 15 2014, 3:53pm

Post #6 of 10 (443 views)
Shortcut
Nice one! :-) // [In reply to] Can't Post

AshNazg
Gondor

Dec 15 2014, 4:04pm

Post #7 of 10 (533 views)
Shortcut
I thought the acorn was a reference to... [In reply to] Can't Post

The mallorn nut that Galadriel gave to Sam?

It grew into a party tree. Is the party tree there in AUJ?

mirkwoodwanderer
Lorien

Dec 15 2014, 5:20pm

Post #8 of 10 (403 views)
Shortcut
no [In reply to] Can't Post

AUJ is before Sam is born.

I too would love to see the tree grow. They should have included it.

AshNazg
Gondor

Dec 15 2014, 5:38pm

Post #9 of 10 (387 views)
Shortcut
Sorry, what I mean is.. [In reply to] Can't Post

In the book Galadriel gives Sam a mallorn nut. He plants it where the old party tree used to be before the scouring...

But in the movies this didn't happen, so I thought they just gave the same concept to Bilbo?

In AUJ I don't think there is a party tree in Hobbiton. But in FotR there is this huge oak tree in the fields outside his house. So we can assume Bilbo planted the acorn in the same place that Sam plants the nut in the book. It also makes sense that Bilbo would throw his birthday party and say his speech in the field with that tree. Wink

(This post was edited by AshNazg on Dec 15 2014, 5:39pm)

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 16 2014, 2:19am

Post #10 of 10 (229 views)
Shortcut
I've been wondering that also. [In reply to] Can't Post

Whether the acorn was meant to be the seed of the Party tree. It would be fitting, I think.

Silverlode

Want a LOTR Anniversary footer of your own? Get one here!

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dűm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.