Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Who is your favourite Artist/Illustrator inspired by Tolkien s work?
Poll: Who is your favourite Artist/Illustrator inspired by Tolkien s work?
Roger Garland
J.R.R Tolkien
Pauline Baynes
Donato Giancola
Cor Blok
Ted Nasmith
John Howe
Alan Lee
Michael Hague
David T Wenzel
The Brothers Hildebrandt
Mary Fairburn
Other
View Results (44 votes)

malickfan
Gondor

Dec 14 2014, 8:12pm

Post #1 of 18 (591 views)
Shortcut
Who is your favourite Artist/Illustrator inspired by Tolkien s work? Can't Post

For me personally It's Ted Nasmith.

macfalk
Valinor

Dec 14 2014, 8:48pm

Post #2 of 18 (430 views)
Shortcut
I like a lot of these, obviously [In reply to] Can't Post

Can't decide. My favourite picture is probably John Howe's painting of Smaug on top of his gold, which is on the front cover of my edition of TH. I love, love that picture of Smaug and I'm a bit grumpy PJ didn't design Smaug more like that one. Also the picture brings back fond memories from when I read the book many years ago.

(This post was edited by macfalk on Dec 14 2014, 8:49pm)

BlackFox
Half-elven

Dec 14 2014, 8:56pm

Post #3 of 18 (434 views)
Shortcut
Tough question [In reply to] Can't Post

I voted for Tolkien himself. There is a strangely fascinating quality to his artworks, despite their seeming simplicity.

Meneldor
Valinor

Dec 14 2014, 11:08pm

Post #4 of 18 (421 views)
Shortcut
I love TN's landscape and architecture. [In reply to] Can't Post

Some of his characters are good, others are not so good.

Gianna
Rohan

Dec 14 2014, 11:33pm

Post #5 of 18 (417 views)
Shortcut
I love Ted Nasmith too. [In reply to] Can't Post

Especially his "First Dawn of the Sun".

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Dec 15 2014, 3:38am

Post #6 of 18 (421 views)
Shortcut
Hey, don't forget ... [In reply to] Can't Post

... The Unique Vision of Maria Lombide Ezpeleta!

The link is to a thread that was part of a discussion of Tolkien artists back in 2007. Unfortunately, many of the links are now broken, but some do still work, particularly the Rolozo ones. Click on the Rolozo enlargement links.

If you want to follow the discussion, the rest of Ezpeleta is:

Ezpeleta's Visions of Valinor

Costume and Culture in Ezpeleta's Art

Ezpeleta in the First and Second Ages

An Ezpeleta's-Eye View

Ezpeleta in the Third Age

Ezpeleta's Cavalcade of Critters

Wrapping up Ezpeleta

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Dec 15 2014, 6:32pm

Post #7 of 18 (394 views)
Shortcut
I knew you were going to do that :-D [In reply to] Can't Post

And you probably know I'm the one person who voted for the Hildebrandts.

malickfan
Gondor

Dec 15 2014, 7:30pm

Post #8 of 18 (389 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I agree Nasmith's characters can look a bit...odd... [In reply to] Can't Post

...but in a weird way, for me, that is part of the charm, some of his character and animal designs look a little stiff and generic (i.e rather similar to other fantasy designs, or a little lifeless) compared to Lee or Howe's, but juxtaposed with his fantastic landscapes and use of colour they seem to appeal to me more as illustrations. Bolder, and more 'far out; they come across as more fantastical, as if Nasmith is painting more from emotions and personal feeling, than details or the 'mood' of the writing, with a illustrated book I prefer paintings that leave a little lee way to the imagination.

I tend to find with Alan Lee's work a sense of hyper realism, not a bad thing exactly (he is certainly a genius in his own way), but Nasmith's work feels more like paintings from the heart, whereas Lee or Howe's imagery comes across like illustrations from the brain.

Does that make sense?

I've long wished for a edition of LOTR illustrated by Nasmith...

malickfan
Gondor

Dec 15 2014, 7:37pm

Post #9 of 18 (386 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the links Elizabeth [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll make a note to check those out soon, it's always interesting to see other peoples interpretations of Middle Earth (even if I find much of the early illustrations from the 60's-70's a little too abstract for my tastes), and I find it equally fascinating diving into TORn's archives during my increasingly infrequent visits to the forum.

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Dec 15 2014, 9:46pm

Post #10 of 18 (389 views)
Shortcut
If drogo were around, he'd have been there with you!// [In reply to] Can't Post

Annael
Immortal

Dec 15 2014, 11:55pm

Post #11 of 18 (376 views)
Shortcut
Kasiopeia [In reply to] Can't Post

a/k/a Catherine Karina Chmiel.

http://kasiopea.art.pl/en/home

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Dec 16 2014, 4:47am

Post #12 of 18 (371 views)
Shortcut
Here was my take on Ezpeleta in one of those old threads. [In reply to] Can't Post

link

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Dec 16 2014, 4:54am

Post #13 of 18 (388 views)
Shortcut
Laugh at me if you want, but [In reply to] Can't Post

I love the Hildebrandts. I have all their Tolkien calendars, and those were the illustrations I had in the heady days when I was first reading the books. I don't like their piggy orcs, but I love their bright colors and realistic landscapes and use of light. I think my favorite is Goldberry.

There's a restaurant in my hometown called Avogadro's Number, and there are murals on the walls, most of which have been since painted over, with copies of that painting and other Hildebrandt Tolkien works. Here's one of Bilbo that survived.

I like their Wizard of Oz illustrations too.

(This post was edited by Aunt Dora Baggins on Dec 16 2014, 4:59am)

Meneldor
Valinor

Dec 16 2014, 5:26am

Post #14 of 18 (376 views)
Shortcut
I promise not to laugh at you and the Hildebrandts, if [In reply to] Can't Post

you promise not to laugh at me for liking some of Angus McBride's pictures. Not all of them, but some really appeal to me.

Don't judge me! Unsure

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Dec 16 2014, 5:09pm

Post #15 of 18 (356 views)
Shortcut
I'd never heard of him, so I went and looked. [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think his paintings are laughable at all. Not my color choice, with all that orange, but the people look OK.

demnation
Rohan

Dec 17 2014, 2:17am

Post #16 of 18 (386 views)
Shortcut
They are all brilliant in their own way [In reply to] Can't Post

But I've been keen on Donato Giancolas work ever since I stumbled across his book a few years ago. I have a deep love for renaissance art, so Giancola really does it for me.

elostirion74
Rohan

Jan 3 2015, 10:46am

Post #17 of 18 (312 views)
Shortcut
It really depends on which book(s) the illustrations are made for [In reply to] Can't Post

It's crucial for me that the illustrations match the tone and flair of the book/work they are made for. For LoTR I prefer Alan Lee and Anke Katrin Eissman - there's a great sense of depth in their use of colours and a wonderful sense of detail and lyricism, both central to Tolkien's writing style for LoTR. Eissman's style is more intense and emotional in its use of colours, but there's a greater sense of variety to Lee's illustrations and his ornamental edges adds extra value to the illustrations, so if I had to choose one favourite illustrator for LoTR it would be him.

For The Hobbit I prefer Jemima Catlin, the tone of her illustrations for The Hobbit is much more in line with the general flair of the work than other illustrators I have seen.

For The Silmarillion I haven't quite made up my mind yet.

For other non M-E works I prefer Pauline Baynes, she has a unique style which leaves a lot to the reader's imagination.

swordwhale
Tol Eressea

Jan 5 2015, 6:19am

Post #18 of 18 (326 views)
Shortcut
as for me [In reply to] Can't Post

I actually love Tolkien's own art. He's clearly better at landscapes than anything, but it's neat seeing his world through his eyes. i have to recommend the art book I picked up of his work.

Many of these are great, and it's great that two very different artists worked on the films.

I have a personal fondness for Alan Lee; he seems to be able to draw absolutely anything accurately (even horses!!! which nobody does well anymore), and does both gnarly characters and lovely Elves beautifully. Also landscapes, ships, weaponry, architecture.... wow. I have a LOTR that he illustrated (I think it's 1992)...just.... awesome.

Many of the artists seem to have one archetype they do well. the Hildebrandts couldn't do an Elf to save their lives, but did amazing Dwarves. (I can't freakin draw Dwarves). Their colors were bright and fun, and their horses were passable.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.