The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Special video before NZ Screenings

elvish.mafia
Bree

Dec 14 2014, 10:26am

Post #1 of 8 (709 views)
Shortcut
Special video before NZ Screenings Can't Post

So before my screening of BOTFA (not a special screening) there was a lengthy video about the making of the LOTR and The Hobbit in NZ. Kind of like a 10-minute tribute to the crew and people of NZ which ended with the words "Thank you New Zealand". Apparently they will be playing this in all NZ cinemas during the movie's run.

I personally found it a bit cheesy. MORE IMPORTANTLY, I found it very distracting since they were showing behind the scenes filming of the new movie which immediately takes you out of the whole experience.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Dec 14 2014, 12:47pm

Post #2 of 8 (356 views)
Shortcut
Apparently you speak for everyone There? [In reply to] Can't Post

Interesting, very interesting.

Maybe the other 4 million people
won't feel that way?

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

Me85
Rivendell

Dec 14 2014, 2:41pm

Post #3 of 8 (293 views)
Shortcut
opinion [In reply to] Can't Post

He/she's was obviously expressing a personal opinion.

He/she clearly says " i personally thought" so no that person is not trying to speak for everybody.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Dec 14 2014, 2:59pm

Post #4 of 8 (256 views)
Shortcut
Sorry Syntax..(error message)..badBom...?// [In reply to] Can't Post

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

tripecac
Rivendell

Dec 14 2014, 4:07pm

Post #5 of 8 (258 views)
Shortcut
I thought it was great [In reply to] Can't Post

It was a thoughtful little video, adding a personal touch. I thought it blended in nicely with the local ads which ran before the trailers.

Yeah, a little cheesy, but a nice gesture. And to be honest, some of us like the behind the scenes stuff even more than the actual movies, so any chance to see the actors and production team in action, even if it's a little "spoilery", is a big plus (in my book).

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 14 2014, 5:24pm

Post #6 of 8 (215 views)
Shortcut
Personally, I liked that touch. [In reply to] Can't Post

However I had forgotten about it until your post as a certain film had pushed it out of my memory!

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Lissuin
Valinor

Dec 14 2014, 7:16pm

Post #7 of 8 (185 views)
Shortcut
It was an extended version of the one posted on the home page, [In reply to] Can't Post

which is found on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3Jl86HCoBE

The one I saw in Wellington at the Embassy (not a special screening), had more shots of local crew and cast. I thought it was lots of fun and got a bit teary thinking about all the people who've been involved over the years. There was a lovely short bit with Dorothy, Woman of Lake-town, an elegant older woman with white hair, who you will see all over DOS TE and EE and in many shots of BOTFA, also TT and ROTK and Kong. I think she said to Peter in this reel something like, "Yes, I can do that!" She always did! Dorothy is retired, as many of the extras are, now does occasional acting, is very fit, and has a ball on set. I hope I'm still doing something like this at 80+, too!

The video was a happy, nostalgic look back at an incredible accomplishment, full of honest emotion, no question, because the emotions are there. It was a big ask for only quite a little country in a wide world. Who wouldn't get a bit emotional about a story like that? Smile

Cheers all!

kiwifan
Rohan

Dec 14 2014, 10:35pm

Post #8 of 8 (147 views)
Shortcut
It's 'he' (check the user information, that'll tell you' [In reply to] Can't Post

and I agree with you, it was a purely personal opinion and perfectly legitimate.

'Goodness gracious, you really are a messie!' 'Oh no, I'm not, these are all just mathoms...'

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.