Arannir
Valinor

Dec 11 2014, 9:40am

Post #76 of 296 (1875 views)
Shortcut
     I am german ;) [In reply to]  

We have original versions as well ;)

Link to my 8.5/10 BotFA Review

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

mirkwoodwanderer
Lorien

Dec 11 2014, 10:03am

Post #77 of 296 (1896 views)
Shortcut
     I know you are in Germany, that's why i said.. hop on an eagle and get to NL :D [In reply to]  

Did not know you had original English movies too. I would advise you to see it in English, although German-spoken is often not badly done

But if they forget sounds and things, that would not be good.

Arannir
Valinor

Dec 11 2014, 10:07am

Post #78 of 296 (1929 views)
Shortcut
     Maybe I just missed it. [In reply to]  

I was pretty excited at that point and the images of Lake-town were too beautiful not to focus on. ;)

I usually do watch original versions here, though for the midnight premiere my closest theatre only used dubbed versions.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 12 2014, 2:21am

Post #79 of 296 (1948 views)
Shortcut
     My reaction [In reply to]  

(not a formal review, just my just-got-home-and-still-buzzing response):

- I liked it. A lot. I cried quite a bit towards the end.

- Loved every single Bilbo moment (Martin Freeman, I've been promoting you as Bilbo for ten years, and you've exceeded my high expectations).

- So pleased that some of my favourite lines and moments appear.

- Loved Bilbo. Did I already say that?

- Ending with the auction, then flowing into FOTR, was great.

- all that lovely scenery

- the look, the costumes, the armour. Lovely.

- the Blackadderish Alfrid didn't really work for me (I'd have preferred to have seen more of that wonderful lady who rallied the womenfolk. I also didn't believe that wise Bard would have kept trusting Alfrid with... well, anything, really), but I thoroughly enjoyed Billy Connolly as Dain.

- I'm not a great battle fan, and worried that this one might be a bit long, but it didn't seem too long at all.

- *loved* the moment when the elven army uses the dwarves as a ramp to leap into battle. Took me completely by surprise.

- Martin Freeman's Bilbo. Superb.

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

nusilver
Rohan

Dec 12 2014, 6:42am

Post #80 of 296 (1869 views)
Shortcut
     Saw it again. [In reply to]  

I don't want to get into a review breakdown - you can find my actual review at TWCC.com, where I gave it a mixed review. What I do want to say is, I saw the film a second time tonight, and whether because it was NOT HFR this time, or because of some other reason I can't guess, but I loved BOTFA this time.

If you DON'T think you're going to enjoy HFR, don't bother seeing it that way. It ruins the smaller scenes, IMO.

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Dec 12 2014, 6:59am

Post #81 of 296 (1831 views)
Shortcut
     Same happened to me last year with DOS [In reply to]  

but in a different way. Saw it first in 2D and it was blurry as hell and my reaction was mixed. Two days later i picked the 3D HFR and it was the best 3d cinema experience i ever had. I loved it.

"You cannot find peace by avoiding life"

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 12 2014, 7:13am

Post #82 of 296 (1780 views)
Shortcut
     Yeah. [In reply to]  

I am one who loves the HFR. I have tickets for the 16th to see it that way, but my preview showing was in regular 3D and there were several scenes where I thought "I can't wait to watch this in HFR so I can actually see that."

It's amazing how differently it strikes people...though since I saw AUJ in HFR in two different theaters, I can say that they are not all the same - it looked so much better in one than the other, and I have to wonder if it isn't a matter of calibration or settings or something. In one theater, it was overbright and gave that speeded-up effect in a couple of places, but in the other it just looked real. I keep thinking it's probably not coincidence that that's the only theater which seems to be showing it in HFR this time around. The people who saw it in that format there were probably a lot happier with it than those who saw it in the other theater.

Silverlode

Want a LOTR Anniversary footer of your own? Get one here!

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dűm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

(This post was edited by Silverlode on Dec 12 2014, 7:54am)

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Dec 12 2014, 7:24am

Post #83 of 296 (1818 views)
Shortcut
     It really is amazing [In reply to]  

to see so many different reactions. AUJ in HFR 3D was good but overbrightness and double speed effect was noticeable. Apparently, i saw both AUJ and DOS 3D HFR in the same theatre and DOS looked fantastic and very real,especially the Dol Guldur and Smaug scenes. So i guess they made some different settings in DOS to make it smoother and more real? I really cannot tell if it is a matter of theatre since my experience of both films were in the same one. I guess i'll have a more solid opinion on December the 18th where my first viewing of BOFA will be in HFR 3D, and again in the same theatre i had watched AUJ and DOS.

Dipling
Lorien

Dec 12 2014, 7:54am

Post #84 of 296 (1847 views)
Shortcut
     I saw it... [In reply to]  

First 2/3 of the movie and the end were really fantastic.
I had a lump in the throat throughout the movie. Especially at the end - maybe because it is the last ME movie.

I still cannot get along with ultra HD image. It looked fake in 3D. WETA has really trouble to achieve CGI that isn't noticeable.
I also think there was "wrong" color decision for the battle. From a far everything looked brown - Dale, armies, ground, ...

But what i missed the most, was the soundtrack. Maybe it is the Dolby Atmos mix in non atmos cinema.
In LOTR every place, every landscape, every major movie character had a loud background music (Minas Morgul, ...). Music was Filmcharacter on its own. Here you can barely here the music. Everything goes too fast. PJ doesn't take his time.

The mix on all three Hobbit movies is to quiet.

Will watch it again in 2D. For the final judgment - until EE. :-)
AUJ for me is still the best, because it returns me into Middle-earth.

(This post was edited by Dipling on Dec 12 2014, 8:00am)

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 12 2014, 10:47am

Post #85 of 296 (2064 views)
Shortcut
     I'm not really sure what to say... [In reply to]  

I've deliberately stayed away from The Hobbit board as to not be spoiled. I was truly excited to see the film. But I'm confused about what I think about BO5A. It was over so quickly, I didn't have time to stop and think. It was a nonsensical movie interspersed with some beautiful, heartbreaking scenes.

The movie contained some of the best scenes in the entire hexology (mentions of Legolas' Mother, Thorin-Bilbo's last conversation, the last scene etc.), and also the worst (what were they thinking with Alfrid? It's the first time I've cringed in any of the movies. They've ruined Dain). Again, it was stunt after stunt with Legolas. Totally unnecessary. I'm not sure about the shoe-horned Strider reference. Would rather have seen a young Estel in Rivendell in all honesty.

I also don't understand what happened in the battle. It was all over the place. How was the battle actually won? We didn't see the end of it. PJ took liberties with the were-worms. He knows exactly what Tolkien meant. Why would Azog not use them to enter Erebor? The battle trolls were awful - especially the one that came straight out of Harry Potter, and the one with no legs or arms. Saying that, the CGI was spectacular in places - are we sure Azog isn't real?

I watched the trilogy in one go, and Bain stuck out like a saw thumb. He was a man in DOS, then a squeaky-voiced pre-adolescent in BO5A. Why on earth didn't they re-film his scene, or ADR his voice for this movie? And what happened to him? Where was he in the final moments of the battle?

I'm perhaps most let down by the Battle of Dol Guldur. Was it an anti-climax - possibly. Why was Galadriel wearing Nenya? And why did she go nuclear?

There is so much left unanswered. Right now, I'm not too sure why they bothered including Radagast, Legolas, Beorn or Dain in the movies. I just don't feel like the trilogy is complete. They haven't finished the story. The film needed to be an hour longer.

My opinions are as confused and muddled as much as the film is. I liked it. I didn't love it. And that's the first time I've ever said that. Frown

I really need to see it again.

(This post was edited by DanielLB on Dec 12 2014, 10:53am)

Arannir
Valinor

Dec 12 2014, 11:01am

Post #86 of 296 (1823 views)
Shortcut
     Agree with a lot of this. [In reply to]  

It indeed feels a bit unfinished - at least for someone who has followed this for so long. I can see though why many casual moviegoers would say it is the best of the three.

I disagree on Aflrid, I thought he was good, as well as Galadriel's outburst.

But the movie needed several scenes after the end of the battle for a fan to be truely satisfied, imho.

macfalk
Valinor

Dec 12 2014, 11:18am

Post #87 of 296 (1758 views)
Shortcut
     I agree [In reply to]  

I think it works as an ending, but the way Bilbo went on his return journey so quickly was a mistake IMO. Should have explained what happened to the gold, the Arkenstone, the funerals, who becomes king and so forth. Reminds me of the ending to ROTK where Eowyn and Faramir just vanishes from the film until their 1-second cameo at Aragorn's coronation. They need to explain this in the EE.

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 12 2014, 11:31am

Post #88 of 296 (1799 views)
Shortcut
     Has there been any news regarding the EE? [In reply to]  

But the movie needed several scenes after the end of the battle for a fan to be truely satisfied, imho.

I've literally stayed away from everything, so I am not really up-to-date. Have PJ and co. hinted what might be included in the EE? A couple of scenes wrapping up character arcs at the end is severely needed.

macfalk
Valinor

Dec 12 2014, 11:38am

Post #89 of 296 (1812 views)
Shortcut
     25-30 minutes longer with more Beorn. Source: Philippa Boyens [In reply to]  

I'm surprised you had so many issues with BOFA, Daniel. Your "mixed" response is very much like my thoughts about DOS. I thought BOFA did a great job of capturing the story from the book - in DOS I hardly recognized the story from the book I have such warm feelings for.

Elfhelm
The Shire

Dec 12 2014, 12:53pm

Post #90 of 296 (1848 views)
Shortcut
     Some random remarks after having seen the film yesterday: [In reply to]  

- Saw it in HFR 3D, which was good - actually HFR is the only 3D format I can watch without getting sore eyes and nauseous, I think the regular 3D trailers at the start really highlighted the difference, they seemed very... blurry to me. Also, during the film I barely noticed the 3D, as there really weren't any forced "hey, look this is in 3D!" moments.

- Surprised many of the shots in the trailer weren't in, like the elven army arrow volley (unless I missed it). In general also the CGI elven armies etc. didn't thankfully stick out like a sore thumb like they did in the trailer.

- There were many ways the Dol Guldur storyline could've gone, and I liked how it played out with just Gandalf, Galadriel, Saruman and Elrond there vs. Sauron & the Nine. HOWEVER, I did NOT like "nuclear Galadriel" (as others have aptly described it) when she banished Sauron. It was good in LOTR in the context of what she might become if she were to hold the One Ring, a terrible queen of darkness, but here she should've been just herself. Also I'm not quite sure about how the films portray her as the most powerful of the Council. When Sauron appeared even Saruman seemed very shaken and unable to do anything -- but then strangely after Galadriel had banished him Saruman had the oddly confident remark of "Leave Sauron to me". Also Gandalf's and Galadriel's parting exchange felt odd and confusing, as it almost implied romantic overtones. Oh one more thing, I'm not too happy that in the films Gandalf is always the one getting captured and needing to be rescued...

- Quite many times I felt scenes had been trimmed or left completely on the cutting room floor (but hopefully included in the EE), so that we just got to see the end result of something implied at earlier. Like Fili's capture, I was really hoping he'd have heroic scene displaying his battle prowess (with dual wielded swords?) before that. Also wanted all the other dwarves have their grand battle moments, but most of them we barely saw, and they sadly remained almost completely in the background.

- Beorn's minimal part was unexpected, he basically arrived and charged into battle and that was it. The eagles' importance was perhaps slightly downplayed and IMO rightly so (I still don't understand JRRT's decision to use them twice in the same way, saving the day in both The Hobbit and LOTR).

- The twins' deaths didn't have the emotional impact I expected, so their storyline was not fully realized, making it probably the greatest missed opportunity in all the films (they should've fallen tragically in defense of Thorin). I had pretty much resigned to the Kili & Tauriel romance after DOS, so in the end it didn't bother me too much, but neither did it convince me so I sorta "just watched" those scenes without any real interest... Other than that, I liked the character Tauriel a lot, and at least she survived (besides, if they really wanted to include a romance, why not a much more plausible one between Tauriel and Legolas?)

- Legolas' physics-denying stunts went really over the top with the use of falling rocks as steps in mid-air, it was even in slow motion I think, so it really dragged on. It would've been ok with just a couple of quick steps over a stone or two, but this... ugh. *groan* But I guess it was inevitable, PJ is apparently guaranteed to put something utterly ridiculous in each film (maybe LOTR as the only exception, must be in part why it's my favourite). Driving Orcrist through the skull and using it as a troll-driving wheel was of course quite silly, but I didn't really mind that, it was kinda amusing. Catching a ride with a bat seemed mostly non-sensical, who knows where the bat might've flown him? Still, I'm glad that Legolas was included in these films.

- Alfrid as a comic relief amidst all the fighting was ok, though perhaps slightly overused.

- Acting was great throughout (as pretty much expected with the wonderful cast).

Uh, I think I'm forgetting a bunch of things I meant to say, but gotta go for now. Still overall, I can say I enjoyed the film, even though it did not reach the great potential that was there. I want to see it a couple of more times, and naturally looking forward to the EE.

Elessar
Valinor

Dec 12 2014, 1:58pm

Post #91 of 296 (1765 views)
Shortcut
     Hmm... [In reply to]  

I am seeing it monday and from what I have read. I've stayed away for the most part it looks like I should have a good time. I was waiting to see what you thought but I admit I'm surprised by your reaction as it wasn't what I was expecting. Hope you enjoy it more going forward.Smile

PS: What did you mean by Tolkien and the worms?

(This post was edited by Elessar on Dec 12 2014, 2:03pm)

Voronwë_the_Faithful
Valinor

Dec 12 2014, 3:05pm

Post #92 of 296 (1827 views)
Shortcut
     Sorry, but I disagree (even without seeing it) [In reply to]  

The movie needs to complete the arc of Bilbo's and Thorin's relationship, and Bilbo's growth and transformation. If it does that it is successful and complete. All the other stuff is filler, and IMO properly left for the EE.

'But very bright were the stars upon the margin of the world, when at times the clouds about the West were drawn aside.'

The Hall of Fire

macfalk
Valinor

Dec 12 2014, 3:10pm

Post #93 of 296 (1740 views)
Shortcut
     It does that part very well... even better than in the book (last scene spoilers) [In reply to]  

When Bilbo returns home to The Shire and finds that Bag End is auctioned, he shows the guy leading the auction the contract of the company of Thorin Oakenshield that he signed in AUJ, as proof that he is indeed Bilbo Baggins and very much alive.

And he asks: "Who is Thorin Oakenshield?"

Bilbo stumbles in front of the front door and says "He....he was my friend". At my audience, I noticed people were deeply moved by this scene, and so was I. I'm so glad they nailed the Bilbo/Thorin relationship.

(This post was edited by macfalk on Dec 12 2014, 3:13pm)

mirkwoodwanderer
Lorien

Dec 12 2014, 3:19pm

Post #94 of 296 (1700 views)
Shortcut
     this was it ! [In reply to]  

I kept it out of all my reviews.. but this was the moment that make me break. In tears.. as there were 2 or 3 occassions before when bilbo wanted to say that.. and could not. It is so recognizable.

But again, like written you perhaps must have had such moments in real life to see how realistic it was. How true and from the heart.

even now.. days later.. that is giving me cold waves through the body and arms.. That was so recognizable. He could not say it.. and now.. it came out . Friendship is something.. yes, yes .. precious.

In Reply To
And he asks: "Who is Thorin Oakenshield?"

Bilbo stumbles in front of the front door and says "He....he was my friend". At my audience, I noticed people were deeply moved by this scene, and so was I. I'm so glad they nailed the Bilbo/Thorin relationship.

(This post was edited by mirkwoodwanderer on Dec 12 2014, 3:27pm)

mirkwoodwanderer
Lorien

Dec 12 2014, 3:23pm

Post #95 of 296 (1734 views)
Shortcut
     That... and the (spoiler) [In reply to]  

That and the mentioning of the tree.
When Thorin goes, he says something like "go plant your tree"

beautiful. more valuable than gold is life.

wow.. days after the movie a tear again.

This was the most touching for me . This dying of Thorin has me crying again. 3 days later.

(This post was edited by mirkwoodwanderer on Dec 12 2014, 3:25pm)

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Dec 12 2014, 6:12pm

Post #96 of 296 (1637 views)
Shortcut
     I completely agree with Voronwe [In reply to]  

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Dec 12 2014, 6:22pm

Post #97 of 296 (1712 views)
Shortcut
     A curate's egg. [In reply to]  

Just saw BOFA this afternoon and found it a dish that was not more than the sum of its parts.

Certain sections were done extremely well but I was surprised to find I had issues almost entirely different to any of the posts I have read here.

Key amongst them were the tonal incoherence and the fragmented thematic strands which interspersed the very good bits.

I supposed I shouldn't be surprised by now but I had no issues with the majority of gripes which seem to have cropped up most frequently on the boards (Dain, the bat, Fili and Kili, Beorn etc.)

Thorin's fight with Azog and exit contained a number of highlights for me, Bilbo and Thorin's scenes were excellent (as were his interactions with Gandalf), Thorin's sickness was very good, the auction scene was jolly good and both DG and Smaug were very exciting indeed.

But then the radio signal kept hitting static in between such stretches and there things were more patchy for me!

Overall, I liked it a fair bit better than AUJ and slightly less than DOS.

(This post was edited by Spriggan on Dec 12 2014, 6:23pm)

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Dec 12 2014, 6:43pm

Post #98 of 296 (1618 views)
Shortcut
     Interesting approach Spriggan. [In reply to]  

I happen to agree most of the times with you,so would you mind elaborating more on this? " tonal incoherence and the fragmented thematic strands which interspersed the very good bits. "

Smile

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Dec 12 2014, 7:01pm

Post #99 of 296 (1694 views)
Shortcut
     A bit Adam West, a bit Christian Bale [In reply to]  

The tone issue is one I had with AUJ that I'm not sure it ever quite settles down into a coherent beat. There are moments of "high" fantasy, moments that are as bleak and serious as anything in LOTR, moments of high jinks adventure, moments of melodrama, moments of actual drama, moments of comedy etc.

Now that is not, in and of itself, necessarily an issue. Such a mix can work and act as counterpoints (mostly), I think, but it seems to me that in order to do so there needs to be a consistent backdrop onto which these contrasts are dropped. Here, I think it seemed to simply be choosing a tone on a scene by scene basis (or occasionally character by character basis) which seemed to me to be a problem.

(This post was edited by Spriggan on Dec 12 2014, 7:04pm)

dormouse
Half-elven

Dec 12 2014, 7:21pm

Post #100 of 296 (1794 views)
Shortcut
     Just seen it. Instant reaction.... [In reply to]  

If it were within my gift I would give the film every Oscar for which it's eligible.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.