Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
A long time ago, in a city far, far away...
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Roheryn
Tol Eressea

Dec 11 2014, 9:43pm

Post #1 of 41 (429 views)
Shortcut
A long time ago, in a city far, far away... Can't Post

...a great adventure took place.

And by "long time ago", I mean ten years (that sure seems like a long, long time ago now!) and by "a city far, far away", I mean "San Diego", and by a "great adventure", I mean a wedding. A wedding of special magnificence. Well, maybe I'm biased. Smile Ten years ago today, TORnsibs were converging on San Diego to help NZ Strider and I celebrate our wedding, and it really was one of the best weekends I've ever had. Celebrating with TORnsibs, both those who were able to attend as well as those who helped us celebrate right here on the boards, meant so much to us, and really made our wedding amazingly special. Fast forward a decade, and now we've got the release of BotFA to make our anniversary special -- how appropriate! NZS and I went to see it yesterday on a special pre-anniversary date, and I couldn't think of a better and more appropriate way for us to celebrate. (Thank you, PJ, for giving us such a fantastic anniversary treat!) Of course, we can never have an anniversary without thinking about TORn and the wonderful folk who frequent these boards!

Our three children clearly have TORn to thank for their existence, so my mathom offering is a recent picture of NZ Toddler:

If any of you who were around back then have any special memories you'd like to share, I'd love to read them. Smile

BlackFox
Half-elven

Dec 11 2014, 9:53pm

Post #2 of 41 (267 views)
Shortcut
Happy anniversary! [In reply to] Can't Post

SmileHeart

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Dec 11 2014, 10:25pm

Post #3 of 41 (265 views)
Shortcut
Happy Anniversary! [In reply to] Can't Post

Your story warms my mushy little heart. Congratulations on 10 years - here's to many many decades more!

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 11 2014, 10:39pm

Post #4 of 41 (258 views)
Shortcut
Many, many happy returns of your anniversary! [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh, gosh, NZ Toddler is getting so big! Heart

I hope someone here has one of the pics of everyone at your wedding. It was a Moot of Special Magnificence, and you all looked so gorgeous in your "finery"!

And then, came the move to New Zealand, with your menagerie, which all needed special accommodations and quarantines - but they all made it over to you eventually!

It's a dangerous business, TORnsibs, going off on an internet Tolkien search. You step into the TORn Message Boards...and there's no knowing where you might be swept off to!

*Hugs* to you two and your amazing progeny!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 11 2014, 10:53pm

Post #5 of 41 (260 views)
Shortcut
When did your little baby get so big? [In reply to] Can't Post

Congrats Ro and NZS! What a life-changing experience it was when you each decided to register on TORN's discussion boards. Here's to many, many more years of happiness for you and your family. :)

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Roheryn
Tol Eressea

Dec 11 2014, 11:26pm

Post #6 of 41 (252 views)
Shortcut
Dunno! [In reply to] Can't Post

In fact, these past ten years seem like not much more than an eyeblink! NZ Toddler is very pleased that she's growing, and frequently inspects the clothes she's wearing to see if they're getting too small. She told me this week that when she grows up, she's going to wear *my* clothes.

Thanks, Ataahua; it's been great to share the adventures with you, both on and off the boards. Smile

Roheryn
Tol Eressea

Dec 11 2014, 11:31pm

Post #7 of 41 (250 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, dernwyn! [In reply to] Can't Post

I looked, and I don't seem to have one of those pictures here on my laptop; I think I've just got hard copies. But I know there's copies of that pic floating around.

I've still got 2 of the 5 critters that moved here with me 9 years ago -- the 19-year-old cat is pretty crotchety and rickety, and I wouldn't be surprised for her to just go to sleep one day and never wake up, but she continues to hang in there. And the remaining dog is doing well at age 12, though our 7-month-old puppy absolutely torments her (for example, using ears for serious tug-of-war, and many flying rugby-tackles that send the old dog sprawling), and she's just too good-natured to put an end to it, poor dear.

'Tis a dangerous business indeed...who'd a' thunk it?

Roheryn
Tol Eressea

Dec 11 2014, 11:35pm

Post #8 of 41 (254 views)
Shortcut
Does warming mush [In reply to] Can't Post

turn it to slush? Erm...not sure why that thought popped in my head, but there you go.

Thanks, DI! Smile

Roheryn
Tol Eressea

Dec 11 2014, 11:36pm

Post #9 of 41 (244 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, BlackFox! :-) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Brethil
Half-elven

Dec 12 2014, 12:26am

Post #10 of 41 (266 views)
Shortcut
CONGRATS! Reminds me of a quote... [In reply to] Can't Post

"I would rather share one lifetime with you than face all the ages of this world alone."

Happy Anniversary! Angelic

Roheryn
Tol Eressea

Dec 12 2014, 1:30am

Post #11 of 41 (246 views)
Shortcut
Lovely! [In reply to] Can't Post

And perfect, of course.

Thanks, m'dear; you're a gem. Smile

L. Ron Halfelven
Grey Havens

Dec 12 2014, 1:34am

Post #12 of 41 (238 views)
Shortcut
That was a great weekend, that was.// [In reply to] Can't Post

Kimi
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 12 2014, 2:30am

Post #13 of 41 (240 views)
Shortcut
Happy anniversary! [In reply to] Can't Post

My goodness, ten years already? How they fly - and how quickly little ones grow up.

May there be many more joyful decades ahead of you.

The Passing of Mistress Rose
My historical novels

Do we find happiness so often that we should turn it off the box when it happens to sit there?

- A Room With a View

(This post was edited by Kimi on Dec 12 2014, 2:32am)

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Dec 12 2014, 2:47am

Post #14 of 41 (240 views)
Shortcut
Slush and mush [In reply to] Can't Post

Maybe because I was posting about being in Buffalo New York during their recent blizzard? Wink

Or maybe you've read Goodnight Moon one too many times...

Goodnight comb
Goodnight brush
Goodnight nobody
Goodnight mush
And goodnight to the old lady whispering... hush... Smile

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 12 2014, 3:14am

Post #15 of 41 (238 views)
Shortcut
Can it really be 10 years? [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't quite believe it, though that picture of NZ Toddler is compelling evidence.

I remember the online celebration and the pictures that were posted and feeling that it was such a beautiful proof that this community was so much more real than just goofy usernames and trivial talk. It's been a life-changing thing for so many of us, and the Telcontar family is one of the very best things to come of it. Cool

A very heartfelt congratulations to you and NZ Strider on your anniversary. May there be many, many more!

Silverlode

Want a LOTR Anniversary footer of your own? Get one here!

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dűm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

cats16
Half-elven

Dec 12 2014, 5:06am

Post #16 of 41 (224 views)
Shortcut
Happy anniversary!! [In reply to] Can't Post

What a great adventure you've been on, both virtually and in the 'real' world. I'm so glad to have had the chance to meet you both, even if only to have the smallest connection to the greater TORnsib community that came together 10 years ago.

Aww, NZ Toddler looks as cute and energetic as I remember her.

Wishing you both a great day, and glad to hear BOTFA topped it off perfectly. Smile

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

Starling
Half-elven

Dec 12 2014, 5:14am

Post #17 of 41 (229 views)
Shortcut
Which all goes to show [In reply to] Can't Post

that TORn is indeed a *dating site*. I live in hope...Laugh

Congratulations on your anniversary. How excellent and admirable of PJ to provide the suitable outing for your celebrations. Heart

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Dec 12 2014, 8:32am

Post #18 of 41 (224 views)
Shortcut
Oh, I was thinking of you today! [In reply to] Can't Post

What a wonderful weekend that was for all of us who were privileged to be there!

CONGRATULATIONS to both of you, and many, many happy returns.

Roheryn
Tol Eressea

Dec 12 2014, 8:32am

Post #19 of 41 (226 views)
Shortcut
Oh, good grief. [In reply to] Can't Post

I could recite that text in my sleep, which is probably the point of it: it's soporific. And yup, I've read it about umpteen-gazillion times; that and Pat the Bunny are the two most love-worn kids' books on the shelves. And right now I need to be that old lady whispering "hush"; or, more likely -- "Go the F*** to sleep!" (Have you read *that* book? It's hilarious! And so true!)

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Dec 12 2014, 12:14pm

Post #20 of 41 (219 views)
Shortcut
Well, I was 40 when I had my last of 5 kids [In reply to] Can't Post

So yes, I've read them all gazillions of times, and yes, I *was* the old lady whispering hush. Wink The newer book came out just too late to have me reading it to little ones (heehee and I probably would have with a few edits that would have had me chuckling) but I still have teenagers so it's almost more appropriate now! Smile

Just to show how strange my family is, although all my kids can recite Goodnight Moon, their favorite is Pickle Feet. Not a classic, but earworm worthy. Tongue

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 12 2014, 3:06pm

Post #21 of 41 (209 views)
Shortcut
I've got some pictures [In reply to] Can't Post

and I'll try to post them today. I think I'll make an album and post the link here - I know I have a bunch of the wedding.

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Dec 12 2014, 4:18pm

Post #22 of 41 (204 views)
Shortcut
I was thinking of you [In reply to] Can't Post

In fact, I called you out in this week's what-are-you reading thread. Cool

I remembered that today is your tenth anniversary, because you were married on our thirty-third (a significant number!) and even someone as math-impaired as I can add that up. Well-met, well-done, and many more years of happiness to you and NZS, who have proved that LotR truly is magical.

It was wonderful to finally meet you both, along with charming little NZ Toddler, earlier this year. A special hug to her from her friends Up Over.

EvilHeartSmile

Where now the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?
Where is the helm and the hauberk, and the bright hair flowing?
Where is the hand on the harpstring, and the red fire glowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?
They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow....

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 12 2014, 5:47pm

Post #23 of 41 (204 views)
Shortcut
*flying tackle hug* Happy Happy EVERYTHING! :D [In reply to] Can't Post

That was one of the best weekends of my life! I still think of the whole thing... your meeting, TORn, NZ, kiddies... all of this is so magical! I'm beyond happy for you both and your lucky, lovely children :) I'd love to meet them someday.

*massive hug* Blessing of good health, prosperity and joy with you always!

sample

Gandalf reminds gramma to go see The Battle of the Five Armies!

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - May 15, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Ginger
Rohan

Dec 12 2014, 6:57pm

Post #24 of 41 (191 views)
Shortcut
A very happy anniversary to all of you! [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope someone has the photograph of NZ's hand.

Roheryn
Tol Eressea

Dec 12 2014, 9:03pm

Post #25 of 41 (189 views)
Shortcut
*flying tackle hug* back atcha, gramma! [In reply to] Can't Post

And thanks! Smile It was a pleasure to have you share that weekend with us. Thanks for that picture -- I have a vague memory of that evening! I can't quite read what I'm holding up but I'm pretty sure it was something funny. Courtesy Lottelita, I believe.

We hope you can come visit NZ again someday, and make your way down to us!

Happy weekend, m'dear!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.