The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Children of Húrin project

Cillendor
Lorien

Dec 11 2014, 6:39pm

Post #1 of 10 (1130 views)
Shortcut
Children of Húrin project Can't Post

***I don't know if this is the right thread for this, so mods please move it if necessary.***

Since last summer, I have been working on a project translating the "Lay of the Children of Húrin (version 2)" from The Lays of Beleriand into Sindarin. I don't know if anyone here speaks Sindarin, but I wanted to share my progress. I recently finished translating the first "chapter" of the poem, and I transcribed it into Tengwar and Angerthas.

I attempted to utilize as much of the Doriathrin dialect as possible. For those familiar with Sindarin, Doriathrin was included in the Etymologies (from The Lost Road and Other Writings). When Tolkien revised his understanding of Noldorin, Sindarin, and Quenya, he abandoned Doriathrin. But I decided to use it anyway as the dialect for the Kingdom of Doriath, where this poem was written. Additionally, I used what I know of Mithrimin (the Northern dialect that Húrin would've spoken) for his dialog. Finally, I had Morgoth speak the Doriathrin dialect, mostly because I have no idea what he would have spoken, but I imagine him knowing the more ancient form of the language.

Anyway, here it is: Glaer i-Chénin Húrina.

EDIT: On my computer, the PDF viewer in the browser causes the text to look all funky. If you right-click on the link and download it, it looks much better.

(This post was edited by Cillendor on Dec 11 2014, 6:41pm)

noWizardme
Half-elven

Dec 12 2014, 11:29am

Post #2 of 10 (802 views)
Shortcut
what an amazing project! [In reply to] Can't Post

Way above my skill level to comment, except my delight that anyone has the ability to do this at all! Cool

~~~~~~

"nowimë I am in the West, Furincurunir to the Dwarves (or at least, to their best friend) and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "
Or "Hold off! unhand me, grey-beard loon!"

This year LOTR turns 60. The following image is my LOTR 60th anniversary party footer! You can get yours here: http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=762154#762154

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Dec 12 2014, 2:09pm

Post #3 of 10 (800 views)
Shortcut
Wow! What Wiz said. . . [In reply to] Can't Post

This is way beyond my patience or skill level.

Very impressive work.

BTW - Comes through just fine on my browser.Smile

“Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.”
But, sneaking off in daylight takes much more cunning.

Cillendor
Lorien

Dec 14 2014, 5:27am

Post #4 of 10 (752 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, guys! [In reply to] Can't Post

My goal is to translate at least the next "chapter" of the poem, but it's probably twice as long, so it may be a while. Beyond that, the first version of the poem goes on for several more chapters, but I haven't decided if I'll do them yet or not. They are very different from the final version of the story in The Children of Húrin. I might just say that the remaining sections "got lost", so I only have the first two. Tongue

Cillendor
Lorien

Dec 14 2014, 5:34am

Post #5 of 10 (764 views)
Shortcut
EDIT to original post [In reply to] Can't Post

For some reason I can't edit my original post, but I updated the PDF a little. I condensed the gap between the lines, added a title to the first page, and added page numbers. You can find the updated (better-looking) version here.

(This post was edited by Cillendor on Dec 14 2014, 5:35am)

noWizardme
Half-elven

Dec 14 2014, 11:16am

Post #6 of 10 (776 views)
Shortcut
There's an "edit window" - you can only edit your post for a limited time after posting [In reply to] Can't Post

Not to worry though - you can do as you did & post further versions in the thread.

~~~~~~

"nowimë I am in the West, Furincurunir to the Dwarves (or at least, to their best friend) and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "
Or "Hold off! unhand me, grey-beard loon!"

This year LOTR turns 60. The following image is my LOTR 60th anniversary party footer! You can get yours here: http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=762154#762154

Loresilme
Valinor

Dec 15 2014, 2:30pm

Post #7 of 10 (732 views)
Shortcut
Can I add another "wow' to the chorus :) [In reply to] Can't Post

This is amazing, amazing. I can't even touch commenting on it, other than to just *bow deeply* Smile!

(P.S. The fonts look fine - very clear and formatted evenly, when I view it.)

Compa_Mighty
Tol Eressea

Dec 15 2014, 6:45pm

Post #8 of 10 (750 views)
Shortcut
Just another awed wow. [In reply to] Can't Post

Simply outstanding.

Visit Mexico from A to Z! Index to the whole series here.
Essay winner of the Show us your Hobbit Pride Giveway!

Cillendor
Lorien

Dec 18 2014, 6:58pm

Post #9 of 10 (710 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! :3 [In reply to] Can't Post

I would be remiss not to mention my wonderful and esteemed tutors. Jenna (known online as Xandarien and Galadivren; she isn't on TORn) runs sindarinlessons.weebly.com. She has served as an instructor, adviser, editor, and friend on this project. I couldn't have done it without her. Then I must also praise Fiona (dreamingfifi, also not on TORn) for her superb website your-sindarin-lessons.realelvish.net. Hers is the website where I learned nearly everything I know about Sindarin, and I kept 10+ pages of her grammar lessons open in my browser for the entire duration of the project. Both of these ladies have earned my deepest respect for their contributions to the neo-Sindarin community, and it is to them that I dedicate this first chapter in I 'Laer i-Chénin Húrina.

Cillendor
Lorien

Dec 18 2014, 7:29pm

Post #10 of 10 (777 views)
Shortcut
Dumb typo. [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

should be your-sindarin-textbook.realelvish.net. Sorry for the double-post, I just wanted to correct that. I didn't catch it until after the edit option went away.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.