Thranduil Appreciation Thread Part XXVIII
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Dragonrnbw
Rivendell

Dec 21 2014, 5:58pm

Post #201 of 208 (1083 views)
Shortcut
     Maybe we should be afraid? [In reply to]  

<<PB said they wanted to surprise the audience with Thranduil in the end. She referred to the scenes when he says "what do you know of love? " and " your mother loved you more than life itself". I guess thats why they kept his back story hidden so that when the audience sees those scenes they'll be like wow he isn't just a cold hearted jerk. However, if they really wanted to surprise the audience with Thranduil they should have made clear in the movie that those gems he kept talking about belonged to his dead wife. He wasn't just being greedy. It would have changed the whole perspective people (mostly the general audience) have of Thranduil.

PB also said they had more scenes referring to Legolas' mother and PJ said the story about the gems would be fleshed out a bit more in the EE.
I really hope he does and that everything will become a bit more clear. Still, it should have been in the TE.>>

I am somewhat afraid to hear anymore back story!Shocked None of it works and I flat out don’t see how they can fix it. While I love what PB and PJ did in LOTR I am not impressed with the Hobbit. I am now weary of having a female warrior elf shoved in my face. Just like Alfraid being a coward. How many times in the movie and how much screen time was wasted banging ‘Alfraid is a coward’ into our heads??Mad GOT it…actually had it on the shores of Lake Town!! Unimpressed
First, we have Arwen as a warrior elf – thankfully SHE was toned down!! Then Tauriel…I am ok with her..now Legolas’ Mother?? Oh come on!!! UnsureInstead of writing the same character over and over use your talent to write a new one!!! (While staying within the spirit of Tolkien! Pay attention to the time line, battles, and details/hints that were given to you by Tolkien) While female elves could fight and defend themselves they chose not to be warriors. It wasn’t their nature. Of course there were exceptions but on a whole they chose to excel in healing, the arts, etc. Seems like every female elf in PJs and PB world has to be a warrior. ??? ‘Wars do not make one great!’
I am sorry to say but I feel far more studio involvement in this than before.Frown It was the studio that wanted the love triangle.Mad I believe it is the studio who pushed for more action and less character development. Time is money..and money was the main goal. Not telling the story. Frown

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for thou are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Dec 21 2014, 6:04pm

Post #202 of 208 (1065 views)
Shortcut
     Thread tipping post! [In reply to]  

This is post 200! From this point on if anyone wants to make a reply it would be well advised to save a copy of your post before submitting it, so you don't get post death when the Mod locks the thread.

Then Legolas steps in. He is so harsh towards his dad. Apparently in this movie Legolas has developed serious Daddy-issues. Were they already prominent in DOS? Perhaps their relationship in DOS was all very platonic but I didn't sense the hurt and sorrow those two clearly have in relation to one another. What bothers me is that this isn't explained in BOFA. Just another non-canon subplot that doesn't make sense and was imo only added to get the Tauriel love trangle going even more (legolas standing up against is father for the sake of Tauriel).

The second Legolas/Thranduil moment, it was so sad Unsure And sweet in a way. But mostly sad. Unresolved daddy issues play a big part in this scene (still not explained why) and I thought Legolas just made Thranduil so sad UnsureUnsureUnsure I was like 'Noooooooooooo why would you do that Legolas? Why do you make your daddy so sad he almost has to cry?' *sobs*

I've said it once before and I'll say it again, it was really nice to see some real emotion from Thranduil other than anger and placid indifference. I really liked the final Thrandy/Leggy scene for that reason. I really think what he said to Legolas was the closest he can get to saying I love you without it hurting too much.

Re the Tauriel/Thranduil scene, I actually found a quote from Phillipa Boyens that addresses the situation, but I'm holding onto it for when the new thread gets started. IMO, it actually sounded like she WANTS us to be on Thranduil's side there.

"The skies don't seem to be as dark as usual
The stars seem brighter than they've been before
And deep within I feel my soul is stirring
As though my hope has been restored.

The shepherds say they've heard the voice of angels
Confirming rumors spread across the land
That a child protected well from Herod's anger
Is our Father's Son and the Son of Man.

Love is raining down on the world tonight
There's a presence here I can tell
God is in us, God is for us, God is with us, Emanuel."
~Amy Grant "God is With Us"

BlackFox
Half-elven

Dec 21 2014, 6:18pm

Post #203 of 208 (1035 views)
Shortcut
     Are you referring to... [In reply to]  

... what Boyens said in the Empire podcast?

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Dec 21 2014, 6:23pm

Post #204 of 208 (1085 views)
Shortcut
     *checks source* [In reply to]  

Yes, it looks like it is what she said in the Empire podcast. I saw it first on Tumblr where someone had quoted it. Has it been discussed already? I haven't quite read through all the posts yet.

"I heard the bells on Christmas Day
Their old familiar carols play
And mild and sweet their songs repeat
Of peace on earth, good will to men.

But in despair I bowed my head
There is no peace on earth, I said
For hate is strong and mocks the song

Then rang the bells more loud and deep,
God is not dead, nor doth He sleep
The wrong shall fail, the right prevail
With peace on earth, good will to men."
~Casting Crowns "I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day"

BlackFox
Half-elven

Dec 21 2014, 6:28pm

Post #205 of 208 (1055 views)
Shortcut
     It has been posted here before... [In reply to]  

http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=811199#811199

... but no discussion seems to have followed, so it's definitely worth posting again in the next thread.

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Dec 21 2014, 6:31pm

Post #206 of 208 (1063 views)
Shortcut
     I like it too [In reply to]  

When Thranduil says "your mother loved you" it shows Thranduil's own love for her and even though we don't get to see it (yet?), it's why he want those gems back. As i've said before, Philippa Boyens said those gems were the only thing remaining of hers that he has (Peter said it would be more fleshed out a bit in the EE). This subplot adds to the fact that he isn't just a cold, greedy, selfish elf.

This is pretty much how I feel about the subplot. I think it helps give Thranduil more depth of emotion than we've seen from him yet.

I'm also happy to hear that it'll be fleshed out a bit more in the EE. It did feel like in the theatrical that they show Thorin find the gems, tell us Thranduil still wants them and then we never hear about them again. This, IMO, confirms we'll get more Thranduil in the EE.

Speaking of which, it's sounding like they've pretty much got the EE scenes locked down already. I sure hope that means we'll get it sooner than November next year.

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Dec 21 2014, 6:35pm

Post #207 of 208 (1051 views)
Shortcut
     Ok, thanks [In reply to]  

In that case I'll definitely hold onto it and wait for opportunity to post. We must discuss!Smile

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 21 2014, 6:36pm

Post #208 of 208 (1062 views)
Shortcut
     Did someone say "tipsy thread"? [In reply to]  

Let's see...XXVIII + I equals...

Number XXIX!

Keep it going, Thralls! Laugh

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.