Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
At this moment, the Kindle version of "The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien" is on sale for $2.99

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 10 2014, 12:38am

Post #1 of 15 (354 views)
Shortcut
At this moment, the Kindle version of "The Letters of J.R.R. Tolkien" is on sale for $2.99 Can't Post

http://www.amazon.com/...f=s9_hps_ft_g351_i2?

Not sure how long it will be on sale.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Dec 10 2014, 4:21am

Post #2 of 15 (246 views)
Shortcut
Got it! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you! I have now had Christmas.Sly

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 10 2014, 4:30am

Post #3 of 15 (252 views)
Shortcut
I had this in print but I bought the digital version [In reply to] Can't Post

If for no other reason than to have a searchable copy.

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Dec 10 2014, 8:12am

Post #4 of 15 (249 views)
Shortcut
Likewise! [In reply to] Can't Post

Good to have it always available. Thanks for the heads-up!

a.s.
Valinor

Dec 10 2014, 12:41pm

Post #5 of 15 (247 views)
Shortcut
Is the Kindle edition wonky? [In reply to] Can't Post

When you read some of the reviews (many of the reviews) for the Kindle edition, they note some problems: all the Letters are in one "chapter" (that is, they aren't divided up into sections or Letters by page, etc) and so hard to find a specific letter; the footnotes are not hyperlinked and so very hard to find your way back to the Letter you were reading; and there are frequent misspellings or possibly scanning errors (such as "ore" for "orc").

Can anyone confirm or refute this? I already have a very (OK extremely!) marked up and tattered paper copy with the spine in a mess by now, and wouldn't mind an ebook version, if it's useful.

a.s.

"an seileachan"

Through any dark time, I always remember Frodo's claim on the side of Mt. Doom that he "can manage it" because he must.
Sometimes, I have to manage it, too, as do we all. We manage because we must.

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Dec 10 2014, 7:06pm

Post #6 of 15 (233 views)
Shortcut
There are way too many wonky Kindle books. [In reply to] Can't Post

I am reading The Greater Journey: Americans in Paris by David McCullough. It is quite wonderful, but the pagination is totally wonky and the illustrations are missing. I also have a Kindle War and Peace which is unreadable because it is so messed up.

I got the Letters yesterday because the price was too good to pass up. I haven't opened it yet, but fear the worst from your comments.

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 10 2014, 11:22pm

Post #7 of 15 (234 views)
Shortcut
I'm checking it out on the cloud reader right now. [In reply to] Can't Post

my kindle is downstairs.

I took some screenshots for you to look at. These will only be visible about three days.

http://awesomescreenshot.com/02940cyf03

This shot has some footnote indicators:
http://awesomescreenshot.com/0c340cyo8b

When I click on #2, I jump to this:
http://awesomescreenshot.com/0ba40cyu81

Let me know if you'd like me to check out any other spot in the book.

I'll try to remember to look at the Kindle interface but the chances of me getting distracted are fair to middling.

If no one else addresses this (re: the kindle interface), feel free to prompt me with a PM.

a.s.
Valinor

Dec 11 2014, 12:17am

Post #8 of 15 (231 views)
Shortcut
oh you are too nice!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I will probably spring for it anyway due to the astoundingly reasonable price! lol. I was just wondering if anyone knew just how wonky it is.

Don't go to any more trouble, Magpie, I appreciate you looking for me!

a.s.

"an seileachan"

Through any dark time, I always remember Frodo's claim on the side of Mt. Doom that he "can manage it" because he must.
Sometimes, I have to manage it, too, as do we all. We manage because we must.

Ithilisa
Rivendell

Dec 11 2014, 5:47am

Post #9 of 15 (222 views)
Shortcut
Thank you Magpie! [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been wanting this but can't afford to get any print books right now. Thanks!

"I name you Elf-friend; and may the stars shine upon the end of your road!" - Gildor

Ithilisa
Rivendell

Dec 11 2014, 6:22am

Post #10 of 15 (241 views)
Shortcut
Oh no, it has no index [In reply to] Can't Post

I am still grateful to you Magpie, for posting about this. It's nice to now have a copy of the Letters. A warning to anyone else who sees this, the Kindle copy I got at least has no index. The print copy I used to have had an index. Anyone ever seen an index online?

"I name you Elf-friend; and may the stars shine upon the end of your road!" - Gildor

Loresilme
Valinor

Dec 15 2014, 4:06pm

Post #11 of 15 (203 views)
Shortcut
Thank you! Still on sale and the clickable footnotes work for me [In reply to] Can't Post

I have a Kindle first gen. It's searchable. And the clickable footnotes work. After the letters, there is a Notes section, and a Footnotes section.

Thanks so much Magpie! Definitely well-worth $2.99.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Dec 16 2014, 1:54am

Post #12 of 15 (199 views)
Shortcut
Oh, thanks! I just ordered it, still at the same price. // [In reply to] Can't Post

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Brethil
Half-elven

Dec 16 2014, 2:14am

Post #13 of 15 (198 views)
Shortcut
That's an uncommon good idea. // [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
If for no other reason than to have a searchable copy.

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 16 2014, 2:15am

Post #14 of 15 (214 views)
Shortcut
The index is good but sometimes I wish I had both options // [In reply to] Can't Post

Brethil
Half-elven

Dec 16 2014, 10:39pm

Post #15 of 15 (214 views)
Shortcut
I agree, [In reply to] Can't Post

and its really one of those books you *do* search often, when looking for a tidbit or a reference. I always try to remember specific places and letter numbers and some stuff is by memory; and I do bookmark with post-its but then it becomes self-defeating when there is a post-it on every third page. Electronic search may help with that in a big way. I think I may follow your lead and snag it this week.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.