The One Ring Forums: TheOneRing.net: Feedback:
The problem is in TORN forum structure

Danielos
Rohan

Dec 9 2014, 7:38pm

Post #1 of 22 (787 views)
Shortcut
The problem is in TORN forum structure Can't Post

Or you could do like 99,9% of other forums and let the thread with the latest post always be on top. This peculiar, archaic structure feels just as daunting and old-fashioned as The Silmarillion.

Altaira
Superuser

Dec 9 2014, 7:58pm

Post #2 of 22 (601 views)
Shortcut
Do you have something against the Sil? ;-) [In reply to] Can't Post

Feel free to take up the forum structure on the Feedback board. It's set up this way because most people prefer it. Besides, having large threads that automatically sort by creation (something you can still do manually here), don't prevent conversations from happening over and over because most people don't bother to read through 60 pages of a thread to see if something has already been discussed. It's a characteristic of both kinds of forum formats.

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Ardamírë
Valinor

Dec 9 2014, 8:05pm

Post #3 of 22 (593 views)
Shortcut
If TORN is like The Silmarillion [In reply to] Can't Post

then there's no wonder I love it Smile

nusilver
Rohan

Dec 9 2014, 9:18pm

Post #4 of 22 (502 views)
Shortcut
crazy talk! :P [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Feel free to take up the forum structure on the Feedback board. It's set up this way because most people prefer it. Besides, having large threads that automatically sort by creation (something you can still do manually here), don't prevent conversations from happening over and over because most people don't bother to read through 60 pages of a thread to see if something has already been discussed. It's a characteristic of both kinds of forum formats.

that's crazy to me that anybody would prefer this manner of forum sorting. it's simply impossible to find anything here if you haven't bookmarked it.

also, searches are sorted by oldest first, and you don't seem to be able to re-sort with the click of a button, so that when I search the word "clip" i get 45 pages of results, with 2007 first, and have to click on the last page button to see what might have come up most recently.

just saying! sorry to get off topic.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 9 2014, 10:18pm

Post #5 of 22 (431 views)
Shortcut
Call me crazy, then. [In reply to] Can't Post

I prefer this structure, especially reading in Threaded mode. On other boards, too much time is taken up by housekeeping - scolding people who start a new topic that was last discussed five pages ago. On this board, you can start a topic as soon as the same topic has fallen off the first page.

nusilver
Rohan

Dec 9 2014, 10:36pm

Post #6 of 22 (427 views)
Shortcut
okay, since you asked! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I prefer this structure, especially reading in Threaded mode. On other boards, too much time is taken up by housekeeping - scolding people who start a new topic that was last discussed five pages ago. On this board, you can start a topic as soon as the same topic has fallen off the first page.

You're crazy! CrazyTongueAngelic

cats16
Half-elven

Dec 9 2014, 11:16pm

Post #7 of 22 (388 views)
Shortcut
*mods up* // [In reply to] Can't Post

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 10 2014, 12:10am

Post #8 of 22 (402 views)
Shortcut
Crazy..... [In reply to] Can't Post

(humming Patsy Cline tune)

I was one of many, many people who weighed in when asked: how do you want our new boards (which were initiated in 2007) to be like.

It was my observation that the developers listened to all opinions and gave us the best of all worlds (to the extent they could).

I wanted this structure. I'm happy with this structure.

You can search by most recent date.

The default sorting is this:

Change it to this:

That puts the most recently made posts at the top of the search results.

You can also narrow searches if you remember what board the post you're looking for was on... if you remember if a search word was in the subject line or in the body of the post... or if you remember who made the post.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Starling
Half-elven

Dec 10 2014, 5:28am

Post #9 of 22 (374 views)
Shortcut
I like [In reply to] Can't Post

being peculiar and old fashioned. It seems to suit me very well.

sador
Half-elven

Dec 10 2014, 5:31am

Post #10 of 22 (358 views)
Shortcut
Ditto. // [In reply to] Can't Post

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 10 2014, 8:09am

Post #11 of 22 (399 views)
Shortcut
Problem? What problem? [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't see any problems.

On the contrary, the design of the forum makes sure that the forum continues on with new topics and lets old topics die out. I certainly wouldn't want to see a crusty old thread re-appear at the top of one of the boards after years of rotting deep in the servers somewhere. And if the forum had thread bumping, his Royal Highness, King Thranduil, would always be at the top of The Hobbit board. That would just be annoying.

If:

TORn forum = The Silmarillion

Does that mean:

Altaira = Varda
Ataahua = Yavanna
BG = Mandos
dernwyn = Nienna
Draupne = Nessa
Earl = Ulmo
Eledhwen = Estë
entmaiden = Vairë
Hengist = Aulë
Inferno = Orome
Kimi = Vána
Rosie-with-the-ribbons = Lórien
Silverlode = Manwë

I knew there was something suspicious about you guys!

So who is Melkor?

Arannir
Valinor

Dec 10 2014, 12:41pm

Post #12 of 22 (369 views)
Shortcut
at least the user review thread [In reply to] Can't Post

Imho it is clear that the posting of reviews is pretty chaotic as a result and bad for discussions that start and then get lost once the thread disappears from page one.

It makes this aftermath of the release so chaotic and less enjoyable. I know the reasons but still hope the admins would try it with a sticky review thread once more :(

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 10 2014, 2:29pm

Post #13 of 22 (352 views)
Shortcut
I think things get chaotic because groups of people are inherently chaotic [In reply to] Can't Post

How often has someone posted a new thread on a topic that's already being discussed two threads down? And for me, and I think a lot of people, threads become pretty much invisible as soon as they're stickied.

I love order. I adore order. There was a time that I could almost panic without order. And what I've learned in my long life is that one can try for order, but some situations just aren't conducive to it. Sometimes you just got to sigh and be content with the best you can get.

It's my belief (having tried to impose order in many other similar situations) that, on these boards, trying to impose order using some of the methods that would seem to make sense just wouldn't be all that effective.

Arannir
Valinor

Dec 10 2014, 2:40pm

Post #14 of 22 (346 views)
Shortcut
Hm [In reply to] Can't Post

The regular posters would still stay in the sticky thread without reviews spread over several threads and pages.

Even if occasionaly a new thread is started and has to be deleted, it would still be much more satisfying and less chaotic.

I accept TORNs stand on this, but don't quite get it and don't think it's a good decision.

Link to my 8.5/10 BotFA Review

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 10 2014, 3:49pm

Post #15 of 22 (347 views)
Shortcut
There's a long list of Melkors [In reply to] Can't Post

Many, fortunately, are not longer active here. From projectile-vomiting to profanity, we've seen many, many Melkors here Evil

Darkstone
Immortal

Dec 10 2014, 3:53pm

Post #16 of 22 (353 views)
Shortcut
I nominate... [In reply to] Can't Post

...Blue Wizard. Smart, funny, and, er, Melkory.

Isn't he still officially an admin?

"Once upon a time and a very good time it was there was a wizard coming down along the road and this wizard that was coming down along the road met a nicens little hobbit named Bilbo Baggins."

Altaira
Superuser

Dec 10 2014, 5:17pm

Post #17 of 22 (356 views)
Shortcut
After some discussion, we've decided to try it [In reply to] Can't Post

I just stuck the 1st user review thread because it had the most replies.

As I said in the edited sticky post, we may go back to the old way (starting new threads each time one falls to p. 2) if people aren't noticing the sticky thread. Also, once it approaches 300 replies we'll have to lock it, unstick it and start a new one or it may slow down the Hobbit board.

Let's see how it goes! Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Dec 10 2014, 8:49pm

Post #18 of 22 (329 views)
Shortcut
Melkor is...... [In reply to] Can't Post

Someone that we don't talk about here.UnimpressedSly

Call me Rem, and remember, not all who ramble are lost...Uh...where was I?

NottaSackville
Valinor

Dec 12 2014, 8:40pm

Post #19 of 22 (297 views)
Shortcut
Good grief, don't DO that to me, Altaira! [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw your post subject (because, you know, I read in threaded mode AS GOD INTENDED), and I thought you meant that we were going to change the entire forum structure to the more modern way as suggested.

Sheesh, I was halfway through deleting my account and signing up for somewhere sane like IMDB before I realized that wasn't what you meant.

Notta

Happiness: money matters, but less than we think and not in the way that we think. Family is important and so are friends, while envy is toxic -- and so is excessive thinking. Beaches are optional. Trust is not. Neither is gratitude. - The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner as summarized by Lily Fairbairn. And a bit of the Hobbit reading thrown in never hurts. - NottaSackville

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 12 2014, 9:22pm

Post #20 of 22 (303 views)
Shortcut
two features I love on imdb [In reply to] Can't Post

feature one: you can read a thread in a blend of our 'threaded' and 'flat'. That is, you can see the bodies of all the posts but the posts are indented like our threaded so you can fairly easily track what each post is a reply to.

feature two: Ignore. Once you click 'ignore' on a poster all their posts become pretty much invisible. You can see a marker for the post but you don't know what they wrote.

Feature two makes life copacetic. I can't say I'd use it very often here. (I think I have perhaps 300 or more people on ignore at imdb but for lots of reasons that aren't enduring. That is, many of those were drive by issues.) But there have been times when my only option to keep myself getting engaged with certain irritants was to avoid the forum altogether. In those cases, I would have liked the ignore function.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Dec 16 2014, 1:40am

Post #21 of 22 (265 views)
Shortcut
*Mods up!* // [In reply to] Can't Post

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Dec 16 2014, 1:41am

Post #22 of 22 (315 views)
Shortcut
Hee hee! // [In reply to] Can't Post

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.